It's 12:39 A.M. and I can't sleep. Grrr. I hope all is well with you fine folks.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    07-13-2016 12:41 AM
    It's 12:39 A.M. and I can't sleep. Grrr. I hope all is well with you fine folks.
    All is fine except I'm already at work and it's only 6:45am...
    MSFTisMIA and Laura Knotek like this.
    07-13-2016 12:46 AM
    All is fine except I'm already at work and it's only 6:45am...
    You have my sympathies! I had a job like that. Your next cup of tea is on me.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    07-13-2016 12:53 AM
    You have my sympathies! I had a job like that. Your next cup of tea is on me.
    I've had many jobs like this! LOL!

This is just one week of this. I usually start around 7am and work to 4:30pm. I work a 9 day fortnight so have every second Friday off like a long weekend. It's nice to have so you can get things done.

I've worked everything from a standard 8 hour day to a 12 hour day and from 5 to 7 days a week. Just depends where I work.

I used to be a contractor but now I'm staff. Not really enjoying it but hey, it's a job.
    07-13-2016 01:16 AM
    I've had many jobs like this! LOL!

This is just one week of this. I usually start around 7am and work to 4:30pm. I work a 9 day fortnight so have every second Friday off like a long weekend. It's nice to have so you can get things done.

I've worked everything from a standard 8 hour day to a 12 hour day and from 5 to 7 days a week. Just depends where I work.

I used to be a contractor but now I'm staff. Not really enjoying it but hey, it's a job.
    A job is most definitely a good thing! There are pros and cons to moving from contractor to staff, and vice versa. The job I was remembering had me in my chair around 6:45 a.m. and the day would sometimes end at 5:00, 4:30, or even 7:00 pm. It just depended on what the day brought and whether or not I could get across the parking lot and into my car before the phone would start ringing and I'd have to turn around. There were nights I'd still be in the office at 9:00 pm and there would be nights when I'd have to sleep with my phone at my head and wait for the calls to start.

I don't do that job anymore!
    Laura Knotek and sahib lopez like this.
    07-13-2016 01:22 AM
    For now, I'm going to try again to get to sleep. Tomorrow will be long and I'll be short on rest.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    07-13-2016 01:24 AM
    A job is most definitely a good thing! There are pros and cons to moving from contractor to staff, and vice versa. The job I was remembering had me in my chair around 6:45 a.m. and the day would sometimes end at 5:00, 4:30, or even 7:00 pm. It just depended on what the day brought and whether or not I could get across the parking lot and into my car before the phone would start ringing and I'd have to turn around. There were nights I'd still be in the office at 9:00 pm and there would be nights when I'd have to sleep with my phone at my head and wait for the calls to start.

I don't do that job anymore!
    Don't blame you.

I started here this morning at 6:30am. It's mostly to do with an event that's on and it creates some traffic headaches so everyone is getting in early this week. I'm off Friday this week (forced by the company) and next Friday is my usual Friday off.

This is my second time working as staff in my career. The first time I worked staff I was younger and at time when work was scarce. So I did lots of overtime. Saturdays, Sundays and so on. I sometimes feel like I lost my early 20s doing all that work...

Then I changed positions in the same company and I did overtime for free occasionally. Not something I ever plan to do again. I was simply too loyal and got taken advantage of.

I then went contract for approximately 9 years. The best years if you ask me. I still worked 45 to 50 hours a week and on one contract it was 65 hours. The hourly rate was good and I got some good deals out of it.

When the time is right I don't plan to stick around this place. Unfortunately the job market isn't that great and probably won't get better for some time.
    Laura Knotek and Azensun like this.
    07-13-2016 01:31 AM
    For now, I'm going to try again to get to sleep. Tomorrow will be long and I'll be short on rest.
    Hope you manage to get some rest.
    07-13-2016 01:33 AM
    Don't blame you.

I started here this morning at 6:30am. It's mostly to do with an event that's on and it creates some traffic headaches so everyone is getting in early this week. I'm off Friday this week (forced by the company) and next Friday is my usual Friday off.

This is my second time working as staff in my career. The first time I worked staff I was younger and at time when work was scarce. So I did lots of overtime. Saturdays, Sundays and so on. I sometimes feel like I lost my early 20s doing all that work...

Then I changed positions in the same company and I did overtime for free occasionally. Not something I ever plan to do again. I was simply too loyal and got taken advantage of.

I then went contract for approximately 9 years. The best years if you ask me. I still worked 45 to 50 hours a week and on one contract it was 65 hours. The hourly rate was good and I got some good deals out of it.

When the time is right I don't plan to stick around this place. Unfortunately the job market isn't that great and probably won't get better for some time.
    18 years to the day, never worked contract, always a salaried employee and never got a dime in overtime pay...good old 'Murica!
    07-13-2016 01:59 AM
    I'm off to sleep, have a really long day ahead tomorrow.
    N_LaRUE and Laura Knotek like this.
    07-13-2016 02:00 AM
    18 years to the day, never worked contract, always a salaried employee and never got a dime in overtime pay...good old 'Murica!
    In the US I can understand why working contract would be seen as detrimental considering all the benefits that come with being employed are important to one's well being.

Here in the UK and Australia the benefits of full time employment are not that great. You don't really gain much other than paid vacation, sickness and if you're lucky training. The only other aspect is the 'security' but in today's market that's questionable. The hourly wage for contracting used to be a selling point for contracting but as there's not much work around the hourly rate has dropped so for the moment, staff it is.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    07-13-2016 02:40 AM
    Here's something somewhat amusing... sort of. Maybe it's just my warped sense of fair play but who knows?

My work has a bit of an issue at the moment. This issue has been caused by the recent movement of people into new offices. I've moved twice in the last 6 weeks. I'm at this desk for a while anyway.

Now, here's the issue - they moved whole of the engineering into one building (we have four buildings), each with three four floors of desk space. The building I'm in is the second largest.

So why is this an issue? Well, for those who don't know, engineering is still pretty much a male dominated workforce. To give an example, on my half section of floor there is over 100 people and only five women. This is approximately the same on every floor. We have toilets on every level but there appears to be an issue with them being used at peek times. So in contrast to what is usually an issue for women, lineups at the toilet, we're experiencing something similar here.

I find that slightly funny but also worrisome at the same time.
    Last edited by N_LaRUE; 07-13-2016 at 03:36 AM.
    07-13-2016 03:08 AM
    Overtime in 'Murica (especially where I work) means they give you MORE work to do OVER TIME at the same pay rate...

Posted via Moto Maxx
    07-13-2016 06:34 AM
    Here's something somewhat amusing... sort of. Maybe it's just my warped sense of fair play but who knows?

My work has a bit of an issue at the moment. This issue has been caused by the recent movement of people into new offices. I've moved twice in the last 6 weeks. I'm at this desk for a while anyway.

Now, here's the issue - they moved whole of the engineering into one building (we have four buildings), each with three four floors of desk space. The building I'm in is the second largest.

So why is this an issue? Well, for those who don't know, engineering is still pretty much a male dominated workforce. To give an example, on my half section of floor there is over 100 people and only five women. This is approximately the same on every floor. We have toilets on every level but there appears to be an issue with them being used at peek times. So in contrast to what is usually an issue for women, lineups at the toilet, we're experiencing something similar here.

I find that slightly funny but also worrisome at the same time.
    This is where having gender neutral cans would be the most useful in that situation. However, since it's a male-dominated Workforce, what will happen is (if it hasn't happened already) that at least five to ten men have tried to hit on the five women so far. So the ladies might say they're not comfortable with that idea of a gender neutral can.

There's actually talk at my workplace of going to gender neutral cans. We serve a steady transgender population and have a few LGBT staff as well. We're in the opposite situation, where there is mostly women to men where I work. Still, there are some women who are not going to be comfortable with that idea. It will be interesting to see how see how this plays out in New York City public schools, because they're going to be transitioning to gender-neutral cans this fall...

Posted via Moto Maxx
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    07-13-2016 06:50 AM
    Overtime in 'Murica (especially where I work) means they give you MORE work to do OVER TIME at the same pay rate...

Posted via Moto Maxx
    In Canada, when I was working as staff, the rates were good for overtime but my hourly rate was crap. So the overtime helped.

As a contractor I got the same rate of pay regardless of how many hours I worked.

Where I work now I think it's the same rate as well.
    07-13-2016 06:51 AM
    Morning folks. I'm semi asleep and have lower bull**** tolerance levels today...

Posted via Moto Maxx
    N_LaRUE, Laura Knotek and Azensun like this.
    07-13-2016 06:52 AM
    This is where having gender neutral cans would be the most useful in that situation. However, since it's a male-dominated Workforce, what will happen is (if it hasn't happened already) that at least five to ten men have tried to hit on the five women so far. So the ladies might say they're not comfortable with that idea of a gender neutral can.

There's actually talk at my workplace of going to gender neutral cans. We serve a steady transgender population and have a few LGBT staff as well. We're in the opposite situation, where there is mostly women to men where I work. Still, there are some women who are not going to be comfortable with that idea. It will be interesting to see how see how this plays out in New York City public schools, because they're going to be transitioning to gender-neutral cans this fall...

Posted via Moto Maxx
    Maybe it's an age thing or something and I know that there would be some people who have issues with gender neutral toilets but personally I don't see the issue. Matter of fact I see them more and more in places these days. Really, what's the point of having two sets of toilets and sinks when you can have one large quantity of toilets and reduced number of sinks? The whole division on gender really is pointless.

As for guys hitting on the ladies here, I have no doubt it's happened. There are of course some singles but the ones who are taken I'm sure can handle themselves. I'm sure some of them have had to get the guys to back off.

We do have a generous amount of ladies here but they're in other positions than engineering.
    07-13-2016 07:09 AM
    Wait til y'all are old and retired. Unisex bathrooms are the least of your worries. Ahahahaha.

Posted via the Windows Central App for Android
    sahib lopez and Laura Knotek like this.
    07-13-2016 07:47 AM
    Maybe it's an age thing or something and I know that there would be some people who have issues with gender neutral toilets but personally I don't see the issue. Matter of fact I see them more and more in places these days. Really, what's the point of having two sets of toilets and sinks when you can have one large quantity of toilets and reduced number of sinks? The whole division on gender really is pointless.

As for guys hitting on the ladies here, I have no doubt it's happened. There are of course some singles but the ones who are taken I'm sure can handle themselves. I'm sure some of them have had to get the guys to back off.

We do have a generous amount of ladies here but they're in other positions than engineering.
    I'm sure there are more women there but in in engineering. The S.T.E.M. careers situation is still a mess.

Fortunately for me, the only person at work that I'd be interested is taken (you know what i mean). It's hilarious to watch my colleagues foster each other periodically for hook ups and such. The scary part is some of them actually think i was interested in them; which is about as accurate as saying that currently Sahib can post here for a whole month without any grammatical errors.

Posted via Moto Maxx
    N_LaRUE and Laura Knotek like this.
    07-13-2016 08:03 AM
    In Canada, when I was working as staff, the rates were good for overtime but my hourly rate was crap. So the overtime helped.

As a contractor I got the same rate of pay regardless of how many hours I worked.

Where I work now I think it's the same rate as well.
    Did ****ty hourly rate jobs...one of these days i should tell the story of working in a call center doing market research and having to call older men on a Sunday afternoon asking them survey questions for 1 hour about erectile dysfunction medication...

Been on salary's since and these entry level jobs are crappy as usual. I like a lot of this about my current job, except for management.

Posted via Moto Maxx
    07-13-2016 08:06 AM
    Looking through some smart watches. Just browsing here...not necessarily looking to buy anything soon, but browsing.

Posted via Moto Maxx
    07-13-2016 08:14 AM
    Did ****ty hourly rate jobs...one of these days i should tell the story of working in a call center doing market research and having to call older men on a Sunday afternoon asking them survey questions for 1 hour about erectile dysfunction medication...

Been on salary's since and these entry level jobs are crappy as usual. I like a lot of this about my current job, except for management.

Posted via Moto Maxx
    I do consider myself lucky that I never worked in restaurants or call centres. I have had crappy jobs however. Some I only lasted a couple of weeks at.
    07-13-2016 08:49 AM
    Looking through some smart watches. Just browsing here...not necessarily looking to buy anything soon, but browsing.

Posted via Moto Maxx
    I'll wait a bit before considering a watch.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    07-13-2016 08:50 AM
    I'll wait a bit before considering a watch.
    Are you waiting until Sahib's grammar improves first?

Posted via Moto Maxx
    07-13-2016 09:43 AM
    Are you waiting until Sahib's grammar improves first?

Posted via Moto Maxx
    Not really. I'm trying to justify why I need one to start with. At this moment in time I don't.
    07-13-2016 09:59 AM
144,439 ... 50495050505150525053 ...