I just think it's kind of subjective to say the sound will sound more crisper because of the change from the 3.5 jack to usb-C or lightning. I can guarantee that the hardcore apple users will swear ,once they try those new ear pods,that it sounds so much better than any other headphones they tried. It'll be a placebo effect. That's my take on this whole removing the headphone jack
    09-08-2016 12:20 AM
    I'll only say this.

If you want to have a friendship, keep doing that. If your want something else make it known sooner rather than later.

Whether you're a boy or a girl, you want to know if someone is interested in you. Dragging things on can send the wrong message.

I'm sure this advice has come up before...
    To the same person nonetheless😉
    09-08-2016 12:25 AM
    I just think it's kind of subjective to say the sound will sound more crisper because of the change from the 3.5 jack to usb-C or lightning. I can guarantee that the hardcore apple users will swear ,once they try those new ear pods,that it sounds so much better than any other headphones they tried. It'll be a placebo effect. That's my take on this whole removing the headphone jack
    Both Laura and I agree with you.

I can take it further by saying that most people have preconceived ideas of what sounds good to them. The 'audiophiles' have been shown time again that some of their 'beliefs' are ludicrous. The human sound range is in the middle of the spectrum. Good, but not great.

Quality earphones/earbuds and a good DAC and you're good to go, connection is irrelevant. Most PC and mobile phone built in DACs are middle of the road which is why the sound is 'OK'.
    09-08-2016 01:19 AM
    I have always found this test amusing.

https://consumerist.com/2008/03/03/d...onster-cables/
    09-08-2016 01:50 AM
    Both Laura and I agree with you.

I can take it further by saying that most people have preconceived ideas of what sounds good to them. The 'audiophiles' have been shown time again that some of their 'beliefs' are ludicrous. The human sound range is in the middle of the spectrum. Good, but not great.

Quality earphones/earbuds and a good DAC and you're good to go, connection is irrelevant. Most PC and mobile phone built in DACs are middle of the road which is why the sound is 'OK'.
    I'll also add that I listen to vinyl on my turntable and stereo system at home (which I purchased back in 1985). So I probably have more experience with analog sound than many folks on this forum have been alive.
    09-08-2016 01:59 AM
    I've read some other things while trying to find that article about coat hangers. Apparently the new buzzword in audiophile world is 'skin effect'.

This is when electrical signal (or electricity for that matter) runs on the outer layer of conductor instead of the inner conductor due to the high frequency of the signal.

This is effect is known in radio and is part of the design. Ever wonder why antennas are hollow metal rods? Skin effect.

Thing is, I highly doubt any human being could detect a distortion in signal due to skin effect or that the signal would be better with a cable that mitigates against skin effect.... especially one costing over $7000 for 12ft of it. Pear Cable Audio Cables - Home Audio - Anjou Speaker Cable
    sahib lopez likes this.
    09-08-2016 02:27 AM
    So the release of the iPhone 7....

Interesting to say the least. However not overly impressed.

I am however surrounded by iPhone users. Though they don't seem ready to buy one, they were however excited by it. I've come to the conclusion that some iPhone users live in a bubble. I've also concluded that the older that person is (depending on interest in technology as well) the more likely they are to be in that tech bubble exclusively and ignore everything else.

It's an interesting mentality to me. I just don't fall into that category and hope I never do. I love technology I just refuse to love tech companies and their products above all others. It's too easy to become blinded.
    Ed Boland likes this.
    09-08-2016 05:23 AM
    They should've gotten rid of it years ago, not just Apple, but every phone manufacturer. Such an inferior technology.
    What's wrong with it ?
    09-08-2016 06:04 AM
    31? Really? Well we've been having Autumn for the last 2 weeks or so already. No more 20+ temperatures, I doubt it.
    Can't complain though, for some reason I'm looking forward to Winter.
    High 20s here still.
    Rose640 likes this.
    09-08-2016 06:05 AM
    Morning folks.

After over nine years, tomorrow is my last day at the funny farm.

Approved by Z3 Tablet Compact!
    09-08-2016 06:07 AM
    Morning folks.

Great for you, I assume you have a new job lined up so hope you will be happier there than you were here.
    Congrats mia :)
    MSFTisMIA and Laura Knotek like this.
    09-08-2016 06:12 AM
    About iPhone, I like the design and... that is about it. I don't hate it but I'm not excited, too much money for a phone of that class, 760 in Germany for basic one.
    09-08-2016 06:14 AM
    Great for you, I assume you have a new job lined up so hope you will be happier there than you were here.
    Congrats mia :)
    Thanks. Actually I have to work part time to finish my final year in graduate school.

It's just time to do something else.

Posted via Xiaomi Mi 5
    09-08-2016 06:42 AM
    I'll also add that I listen to vinyl on my turntable and stereo system at home (which I purchased back in 1985). So I probably have more experience with analog sound than many folks on this forum have been alive.
    I agree with you Laura. My setup though purchased in 2006 is from the 70s and I love listening to vinyl, radio, tape and CD on it since the main receiver is a Technics unit from mid 70s.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    09-08-2016 06:43 AM
    Morning folks.

The end of of an era about "funny" work place related jokes?
    See, what I did there😁
    09-08-2016 06:45 AM
    Thanks. Actually I have to work part time to finish my final year in graduate school.

Posted via Xiaomi Mi 5
    Good luck. I'm sure you will land up at a better place where it will be "fun" to go to work in the true sense. The internal tagline for my first employer was "Make money and Have fun" and they abided by both the things very seriously.
    09-08-2016 06:47 AM
    About iPhone, I like the design and... that is about it. I don't hate it but I'm not excited, too much money for a phone of that class, 760 in Germany for basic one.
    I bought a 6S yesterday to give my wife and will flip her 6. As I have stated earlier, I'm going to get the iPhone 7 through work in a few weeks.
    Ed Boland likes this.
    09-08-2016 06:48 AM
    I bought a 6S yesterday to give my wife and will flip her 6. As I have stated earlier, I'm going to get the iPhone 7 through work in a few weeks.
    I signed up for a TMO promotion trade in iPhone 6 and upgrade to iPhone 7 for zero dollars. Let's see if that works out or not. Probably a better value than flipping the iPhone 6.
    09-08-2016 06:58 AM
    I will ask for a test 7 or 7+ and see if I can get it, last year they had it.
    MSFTisMIA likes this.
    09-08-2016 07:16 AM
    I skimmed the iPhone coverage. Here are my initial thoughts:

1) I see Apple has invented touch sensitive fingerprint scanner, stereo speakers, and water resistance.

2) Sony is so ****ed. They really made water resistance mainstream and failed to capitalize on this with a difficult to use camera.

3) Smart move by Apple to start to wean people off the physical home key.

4) Love the US pricing. That 32GB model will sell. Apple always made their money off base model sales. For $700, this slays Sony and the HTC 10 easily.

5) Like the design.

6) Samsung needs to sort out the Note 7 recall ASAP. A very interesting choice exists between the bigger iPhone and the S7 Edge.

7) This is the end of 3.5mm jacks for sure. Unless it's a budget handset, we won't see much 3.5mm by 2018.

Posted via Xiaomi Mi 5
    09-08-2016 07:47 AM
    Morning folks.

Fleeing the funny farm. Hopefully there's no one in clean white coats trying to get you back. :P
    09-08-2016 08:00 AM

Posted via Xiaomi Mi 5
    I'm sure there are greener pastures waiting for you after you finish your degree. :)
    09-08-2016 08:01 AM

7) This is the end of 3.5mm jacks for sure. Unless it's a budget handset, we won't see much 3.5mm by 2018.

Posted via Xiaomi Mi 5
    Not sure how I feel about that. I know everyone will copy Apple with USB headphones now. I think it's plain silly myself but I guess people 'believe' it's better that's all that matters.
    sahib lopez likes this.
    09-08-2016 08:02 AM
    Fleeing the funny farm. Hopefully there's no one in clean white coats trying to get you back. :P
    You mean like this?

Posted via Xiaomi Mi 5
    N_LaRUE and Laura Knotek like this.
    09-08-2016 09:27 AM
    Not sure how I feel about that. I know everyone will copy Apple with USB headphones now. I think it's plain silly myself but I guess people 'believe' it's better that's all that matters.
    As was said earlier, without better built-in DACs, connectors don't matter.

Posted via Xiaomi Mi 5
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    09-08-2016 09:27 AM
142,845 ... 51275128512951305131 ...