When I read that it sounded like you were planing on wheeling an dealing. :P

I'm not sure where you plan to work in the future but all countries are different in their work culture and within each company they are different as well. Some companies can feel very stifling working at them. Not a nice environment at all.

So it's good to know what you're getting into. Research the company and ask questions at interviews. Determine if it works for you as well as you working for them. Interviews are a two way street. If you're desperate, sure, take any job, but don't get trapped in the BS.

That's all I was getting at.
    That's like, second time in my whole life I've heard that idiom :D, and unfortunately it's a common thing in my country. The saddest part is that it's probably the only way to make a good living. That's why I'm trying to leave. I know, brain drain, bla bla, but I just don't care anymore. If that's what it takes to have a better life, then I'll be glad to be a part of that statistic.
    N_LaRUE and Laura Knotek like this.
    01-04-2017 03:12 PM
    Middle of the week people but we are getting there!
    libra89 and Laura Knotek like this.
    01-04-2017 05:58 PM
    One day to me, is just like any other day. I'm retarded; I mean retired! Been there sense 1993. Retired from AT&T. You all will get there some day. Then you can spend every day here on WC aggravating the staff with your wild replies. Is this a great forum or what! LMAO
    In my work days Wednesday was know as hump day. Meaning your over the hump and waiting for Friday.
    hump day
    The middle of a work week (Wednesday); used in the context of climbing a proverbial hill to get through a tough week.
    After hump day, the weekend gets closer.
    01-04-2017 06:08 PM
    Here you go. All you people that still have to work for a living! I like to have a little fun some times. Takes off this terrible pressure I have on me to make a good hand here on Windows Central. LMAO
    Attached Thumbnails hump-day.jpg  
    01-04-2017 06:18 PM
    Today was my first day of work for the year so I'm over the moon.
    holdum333 and Laura Knotek like this.
    01-04-2017 08:04 PM
    So the Blackberry "Mercury" was teased today at CES and wow it looks so good. I really like how unique it looks. I have been waiting to hear a bit about this phone and see more pictures of it as well.

I'm oddly glad that it would be too tall for me, because now that means that I have a break from my phone lust for a month at least Depends on the specs and phone sizes that Nokia will announce at MWC next month but since there's nothing set in stone there, my lust can get some REM sleep. xd
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    01-04-2017 08:10 PM
    Well to be honest I should correct that. We were hoping to see family (in Europe) at Xmas or go somewhere sunny (i.e. South of France).

To see family the tickets were about 4X the typical return ticket price. South of France was about 3X.

We also would have needed a car for either place and accommodation for the South of France.

So that's why we didn't go. Prices were just crazy.
    Wow that does sound like it can get expensive very quickly!
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    01-04-2017 08:13 PM
    Trust me. I could have bought a couple of new cars with the amount of money spent on airfare in the past five years.
    N_LaRUE, libra89 and Laura Knotek like this.
    01-04-2017 08:21 PM
    Trust me. I could have bought a couple of new cars with the amount of money spent on airfare in the past five years.
    Whoa...
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    01-04-2017 08:33 PM
    01-04-2017 09:29 PM
    Nah mate, this is the original version:

;)
    01-04-2017 10:01 PM
    Something weird happen with the resolution on my PC. I didn't do anything, I just turned it on and it was all messy. Icons were large even though they were set to small, as well as taskbar and start menu. I haven't figured out how to get it back to normal.
    I managed to tweak it a little bit by adjusting the resolution and settting the small icons on taskbar, also unzooming the Chrome to 75%. I don't need to explain how awkward this looks.
    Anyone here with the real solution?
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    01-05-2017 07:07 AM
    Something weird happen with the resolution on my PC. I didn't do anything, I just turned it on and it was all messy. Icons were large even though they were set to small, as well as taskbar and start menu. I haven't figured out how to get it back to normal.
    I managed to tweak it a little bit by adjusting the resolution and settting the small icons on taskbar, also unzooming the Chrome to 75%. I don't need to explain how awkward this looks.
    Anyone here with the real solution?
    That's a driver issue. You either have a bad driver installation, no driver or the card/chip is toast.
    Rose640 and Laura Knotek like this.
    01-05-2017 08:26 AM
    Yeah I can relate to this. Of course, depends on the car. :P
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    01-05-2017 08:31 AM
    You should try doing it from Australia. The prices would make you faint...
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    01-05-2017 08:35 AM
    You should try doing it from Australia. The prices would make you faint...
    Wow, I bet. I still want to go visit there though, so much.
    Laura Knotek and mc_razza like this.
    01-05-2017 08:46 AM
    Wow, I bet. I still want to go visit there though, so much.
    The number one thing when travelling to Australia is time. You need time. 1 or 2 weeks isn't enough. Minimum 4 weeks, preferably more.

If you're young enough there's lots of options available to you to work/travel.
    01-05-2017 08:56 AM
    The number one thing when travelling to Australia is time. You need time. 1 or 2 weeks isn't enough. Minimum 4 weeks, preferably more.

If you're young enough there's lots of options available to you to work/travel.
    Good to know, thanks! Ah, that's a bummer that isn't enough time. :( As cliche as it might sound, really want to see Sydney and Melbourne, especially the latter.

I'm 27, but not sure if I would be open to working outside of my industry. I'm a gal that works best with structure and consistency. Not saying that it isn't there, of course, but I don't see myself as one of the types to be open to working there.
    01-05-2017 09:14 AM
    Good to know, thanks! Ah, that's a bummer that isn't enough time. :( As cliche as it might sound, really want to see Sydney and Melbourne, especially the latter.

I'm 27, but not sure if I would be open to working outside of my industry. I'm a gal that works best with structure and consistency. Not saying that it isn't there, of course, but I don't see myself as one of the types to be open to working there.
    I was thinking more along the lines of this - Work and Holiday visa (subclass 462)

But that would depend a lot on your situation of course and your desires.

Not sure where you live in the US but when travelling to Australia you're looking at a 14hr flight minimum if you live in LA or San Fran to get to Sydney.

You'll need to fly to Melbourne from Sydney (about an hour) because driving takes over 10 hours.

Yes you can do a quick trip to Sydney/Melbourne but it sort of depends what you want out of it. Neither of these two places really give an idea of Australia though. They're like any big city at the end of the day. Expensive and full of people. You'll also be exhausted at the end of it.

Oh that's other bit. Australia is expensive. Doesn't matter where you go either.
    01-05-2017 09:33 AM
    I was thinking more along the lines of this - Work and Holiday visa (subclass 462)

But that would depend a lot on your situation of course and your desires.

Not sure where you live in the US but when travelling to Australia you're looking at a 14hr flight minimum if you live in LA or San Fran to get to Sydney.

You'll need to fly to Melbourne from Sydney (about an hour) because driving takes over 10 hours.

Yes you can do a quick trip to Sydney/Melbourne but it sort of depends what you want out of it. Neither of these two places really give an idea of Australia though. They're like any big city at the end of the day. Expensive and full of people. You'll also be exhausted at the end of it.

Oh that's other bit. Australia is expensive. Doesn't matter where you go either.
    Wow, I didn't know that they had a visa like that. That's amazing!

I would have never guessed that the two cities are that far apart. My sister's close friend went to Melbourne for a week last year and she liked it but felt like she didn't have enough time there (and that it was really expensive too).

As you said, I would have to think about what I want out of it. When I was little, it was about the kangaroos but then it evolved to like watching some Australians on Youtube and they both seem to be interesting cities. I guess I'll like to see that particular city culture more than anything. I'm not as interested in the rest even though I'm sure that there are gems.
    01-05-2017 09:48 AM
    Wow, I didn't know that they had a visa like that. That's amazing!

I would have never guessed that the two cities are that far apart. My sister's close friend went to Melbourne for a week last year and she liked it but felt like she didn't have enough time there (and that it was really expensive too).

As you said, I would have to think about what I want out of it. When I was little, it was about the kangaroos but then it evolved to like watching some Australians on Youtube and they both seem to be interesting cities. I guess I'll like to see that particular city culture more than anything. I'm not as interested in the rest even though I'm sure that there are gems.
    A lot of countries have visas like that - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Working_holiday_visa

Australia is approximately the size of the USA (excluding Alaska). Maps misrepresent the size due to a ratio factor based on the curvature of the Earth. Lots of places are a lot bigger than you think they are.

I have my opinions of course, having lived there for over 7 years and travelled around a bit, I think cities don't really do Australia justice. Yes I like Sydney and Melbourne but there's lots of beautiful places in Australia. Which is why I suggest the longer visiting time. Also, not to insult Australians, the culture thing is mostly Melbourne, depending on what you want or meant by 'culture'. Australia is fairly flat when it comes to culture in general.
    01-05-2017 10:00 AM
    A lot of countries have visas like that - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Working_holiday_visa

Australia is approximately the size of the USA (excluding Alaska). Maps misrepresent the size due to a ratio factor based on the curvature of the Earth. Lots of places are a lot bigger than you think they are.

I have my opinions of course, having lived there for over 7 years and travelled around a bit, I think cities don't really do Australia justice. Yes I like Sydney and Melbourne but there's lots of beautiful places in Australia. Which is why I suggest the longer visiting time. Also, not to insult Australians, the culture thing is mostly Melbourne, depending on what you want or meant by 'culture'. Australia is fairly flat when it comes to culture in general.
    Now that you said that about the size, I better understand your original comment now.

Ah okay, I see. Yeah, I thought as much that Melbourne is probably the place for that. It's hard to explain what I mean by that, but it seems to have more of a diverse food scene, along with people to a point. I can understand where you are coming from though.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    01-05-2017 10:15 AM
    Now that you said that about the size, I better understand your original comment now.

Ah okay, I see. Yeah, I thought as much that Melbourne is probably the place for that. It's hard to explain what I mean by that, but it seems to have more of a diverse food scene, along with people to a point. I can understand where you are coming from though.
    Oh I'll agree with the food scene but that's pretty much all over Australia, not specific really to any major city but of course Melbourne and Sydney have some of the best. I won't say you can't find bad food, but most food is pretty good.

It's a mixture of Indian, Asian, Italian, Greek, etc... There's a carry over from the UK of course and their own 'traditional' food which is a modification of UK dishes.

Then there's aboriginal food which many 'regular' Aussies don't eat.

I thought the US was doing better with their food lately... ?
    01-05-2017 10:20 AM
    Oh I'll agree with the food scene but that's pretty much all over Australia, not specific really to any major city but of course Melbourne and Sydney have some of the best. I won't say you can't find bad food, but most food is pretty good.

It's a mixture of Indian, Asian, Italian, Greek, etc... There's a carry over from the UK of course and their own 'traditional' food which is a modification of UK dishes.

Then there's aboriginal food which many 'regular' Aussies don't eat.

I thought the US was doing better with their food lately... ?
    That's great to know. That all sounds good!

Yeah they are, I guess. I think I'm more curious about things and habits that are individual to cities to see if there are similarities and what the differences are. Like I'm between Baltimore and DC and even those two cities have differences to a point. DC is more vegan/health conscious, Baltimore is more of a true sports town even though both have teams.
    01-05-2017 10:31 AM
    That's great to know. That all sounds good!

Yeah they are, I guess. I think I'm more curious about things and habits that are individual to cities to see if there are similarities and what the differences are. Like I'm between Baltimore and DC and even those two cities have differences to a point. DC is more vegan/health conscious, Baltimore is more of a true sports town even though both have teams.
    Australians love their sport. More than probably any other country I've been to. There is no real distinction in that way when it comes to things like that. There are more like rural areas vs cities.

Melbourne likes it's Aussie Rules football whereas most other cities are not so fussed. For other's it's Rugby in the colder months and cricket in the warmer months. Then there's the Olympic sports which Australia seems to go nutty for.

I'm not a sports person so it wasn't my thing. I'm more the foodie.

The other thing you'll find is Aussies like to drink, a lot. They tend to be friendly but don't go thinking it's a 'safe' place. Lots of things happen in Australia that don't get advertised too much and it's just like travelling anywhere else.
    libra89, Laura Knotek and Rose640 like this.
    01-05-2017 10:48 AM
145,266 ... 52205221522252235224 ...