I think I'm ready for a new phone, problem is I have no idea what to get.

Problem is, even what I think might be decent is questionable whether it is... I don't want a Pixel because they're still way too pricey.

Sign of the times. Nothing compelling and nothing that 'nice'.
    What are your top things in a phone, and also what are your secondary things to consider? I think it would help to start there, as there are a number of choices that aren't as much, like the OnePlus 3(T).

In my experience, that has helped me learn more of what I like and prefer, in addition to helping me decide what phones I should consider.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    02-01-2017 09:02 AM
    What are your top things in a phone, and also what are your secondary things to consider? I think it would help to start there, as there are a number of choices that aren't as much, like the OnePlus 3(T).
    My criteria is pretty simple.

Size - around 5"
    Good battery
    Good camera
    Prefer waterproof (I live in the UK...)
    As close to 'vanilla' Android as possible
    Decent looking

After that I'm pretty easy
    libra89 and Laura Knotek like this.
    02-01-2017 09:08 AM

Size - around 5"
    Good battery
    Good camera
    Decent looking

Thanks for this!

Off the top of my head, it's hard to meet outside of the S7 (even though totally not vanilla Android at all), but I will dig. Sony is apparently announcing something new at MWC.

Edit: Nokia's teasers may or may not be good. We'll see but eh.

Edit (again) : Aside from the Pixel, I got nothing. I understand your statement. 5.5" is like the new standard size. Outside of the XZ, I can't find anything that meets all, if not most of this.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    02-01-2017 09:16 AM
    Thanks for this!

Off the top of my head, it's hard to meet outside of the S7 (even though totally not vanilla Android at all), but I will dig. Sony is apparently announcing something new at MWC.
    I've never been interested in Samsung products. I got rid of my Samsung TV and I only have a very old tablet that I keep trying to get rid of. :P

Anything Sony brings out will be expensive and from what I heard it was going to be mid range but I could be wrong.

I could get the Sony XZ as it's now around £400 for it but I still haven't found a positive enough review on it that makes me want to buy it. I don't know if the update to 7 brought anything better to it. It is a nice device though. I have taken a decent look at it in store.
    02-01-2017 09:21 AM
    I've never been interested in Samsung products. I got rid of my Samsung TV and I only have a very old tablet that I keep trying to get rid of. :P

Anything Sony brings out will be expensive and from what I heard it was going to be mid range but I could be wrong.

I could get the Sony XZ as it's now around £400 for it but I still haven't found a positive enough review on it that makes me want to buy it. I don't know if the update to 7 brought anything better to it. It is a nice device though. I have taken a decent look at it in store.
    Haha okay, I totally understand.

Very true! I wanted the XA so bad but that battery life was shameful. Hopefully the rumored device fixes that.

Ah okay, I see. It might be better to wait in this case then for MWC. I think waterproof phones might be more common,
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    02-01-2017 09:26 AM
    Haha okay, I totally understand.

Very true! I wanted the XA so bad but that battery life was shameful. Hopefully the rumored device fixes that.

Ah okay, I see. It might be better to wait in this case then for MWC. I think waterproof phones might be more common,
    I wouldn't buy anything overly new simply because they'll cost a fortune. I don't buy contract I buy outright. I'm not exactly in a position to drop £600+ on a phone at the moment. Too many other more important things to spend money on.
    02-01-2017 09:31 AM
    I wouldn't buy anything overly new simply because they'll cost a fortune. I don't buy contract I buy outright. I'm not exactly in a position to drop £600+ on a phone at the moment. Too many other more important things to spend money on.
    Ah okay, I see. That helps a lot, actually. How about the HTC 10? I guess it's going on a year old. It is kind of tall though but the Nexus 5X is a bit shorter (I think). Hold on, what phone do you have again? I can't remember if you have the Z3 or the Z5.
    02-01-2017 09:42 AM
    Ah okay, I see. That helps a lot, actually. How about the HTC 10? I guess it's going on a year old. It is kind of tall though but the Nexus 5X is a bit shorter (I think). Hold on, what phone do you have again? I can't remember if you have the Z3 or the Z5.
    I have the Z3 currently. I don't want anything too old either. :P Also I believe updates to the 5X and 5P are coming to an end.
    02-01-2017 09:47 AM
    I have the Z3 currently. I don't want anything too old either. :P Also I believe updates to the 5X and 5P are coming to an end.
    Ohh okay, I see. Yeah those 2 have one more big update left. I don't know why I thought that you had the Z5.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    02-01-2017 10:22 AM
    Ohh okay, I see. Yeah those 2 have one more big update left. I don't know why I thought that you had the Z5.
    So I'm in a bit of a dilemma. Not much to really work with...
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    02-01-2017 10:23 AM
    So I'm in a bit of a dilemma. Not much to really work with...
    Ahh, sadly :/ I kind of want to suggest the HTC One A9 but it's older than the 10, so nah.
    02-01-2017 10:49 AM
    Ahh, sadly :/ I kind of want to suggest the HTC One A9 but it's older than the 10, so nah.
    I can wait a little longer. I've been waiting to see what Nokia will bring out but rumour is that their flagships will be pricey. Which is unfortunate.
    libra89 likes this.
    02-01-2017 10:52 AM
    I guess I could 'settle' for the Sony XZ for the time being. Not that it's much of a 'settle'. It's not bad for the price point I can get it at now.
    libra89 likes this.
    02-01-2017 10:56 AM
    I guess I could 'settle' for the Sony XZ for the time being. Not that it's much of a 'settle'. It's not bad for the price point I can get it at now.
    If you have the option to try it out and return it if you don't like it, it might be just fine.
    02-01-2017 10:57 AM
    If you have the option to try it out and return it if you don't like it, it might be just fine.
    As I mentioned I typically buy outright. I know it's a Sony phone so I know what to expect more or less.
    libra89 likes this.
    02-01-2017 11:01 AM
    As I mentioned I typically buy outright. I know it's a Sony phone so I know what to expect more or less.
    I couldn't resist, so pardon me before hand.
    With a Sony phone you are expected to pay more and get less :-)
    libra89, N_LaRUE and Laura Knotek like this.
    02-01-2017 11:22 AM

Size - around 5"
    Good battery
    Good camera
    Decent looking

Closest is S7 with Nova Launcher - actually Samsung has pared back a lot of TouchWiz crap on Marshmallow. I use the Tab S2 and Pixel and the Tab S2 isn't bothersome at all.
    Pixel would be a compromise on waterproofing otherwise solid all around.
    I would not rule out Honor 8, just slap on Nova Launcher for stock Android feel - compromise is stock Android and waterproofing.
    Sony XZ is an okay bargain but camera still has issues.
    02-01-2017 11:24 AM
    This is true but if Sonys are anything like Lumias, it's totally possible not to like one version but to like the other one. I didn't like the Z5 Compact much really, but I liked the X Compact better, just not camera wise.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    02-01-2017 11:27 AM
    Closest is S7 with Nova Launcher - actually Samsung has pared back a lot of TouchWiz crap on Marshmallow. I use the Tab S2 and Pixel and the Tab S2 isn't bothersome at all.
    I would not rule out Honor 8, just slap on Nova Launcher for stock Android feel - compromise is stock Android and waterproofing.
    That was fast, you are good! I agree about the Honor 8.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    02-01-2017 11:28 AM
    I can get the S7 for around the same price as the XZ... Still... I've never been a fan.
    Not interested in the Honour 8 or the Pixel.

I'll just wait and see. Maybe the prices I heard for Nokia were wrong.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    02-01-2017 11:30 AM
    I can get the S7 for around the same price as the XZ... Still... I've never been a fan.
    Not interested in the Honour 8 or the Pixel.

I'll just wait and see. Maybe the prices I heard for Nokia were wrong.
    If your current phone is chugging along why not.
    Except the Sony XZ (I did have the Z3C and Z3 briefly) I have used every single phone on the list and so far the Pixel has worked out really well.
    02-01-2017 11:48 AM
    If your current phone is chugging along why not.
    Except the Sony XZ (I did have the Z3C and Z3 briefly) I have used every single phone on the list and so far the Pixel has worked out really well.
    I'm thinking of possibly getting the Pixel XL once the new Pixel is released this fall, and the price drops on the older model.
    worldspy99, libra89 and Guytronic like this.
    02-01-2017 12:21 PM
    I'm thinking of possibly getting the Pixel XL once the new Pixel is released this fall, and the price drops on the older model.
    Nice, you will like it.
    02-01-2017 12:26 PM

Size - around 5"
    Good battery
    Good camera
    Decent looking

Nexus 5X or 6P? AFAIK they're not waterproof but they're decent phones (although over a year old) and meet your requirements.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    02-01-2017 09:13 PM
    Nexus 5X or 6P? AFAIK they're not waterproof but they're decent phones (although over a year old) and meet your requirements.
    I think I needed to put the added requirement of relatively new...
    MSFTisMIA and Laura Knotek like this.
    02-02-2017 12:14 AM
145,266 ... 52385239524052415242 ...