WC 1M Post Challenge - You Ready?!

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site
Even then there is no excuse for not paying the taxes...I grew up in a place where when the population was close to 950 million and only 5 million registered tax payers....and that too all government employees and one could see why no services existed....even though there is wastage here, tax dollars do work....

Don't get me wrong, I agree. Tax dollars work and it does help share a few crumbs of the wealth around. I would never say don't tax the rich. I'd like to get into that above 250K amount and will happily pay my taxes.

I just think we need to nail the tax dodgers and use the tax monies more effectively. There is no reason for food pantries to have bare shelves because no one is donating supplies. There is no reason to have people living on the streets in a country with the four seasons on full display. We just take the for profit angle first a bit too much in my view. Make sure people are fed, in a place with a roof overhead and give them enough of a chance to pay their bills. It is easier to work and be productive when you're not distracted by when and where your next meal comes from and or where you need to go sleep.

Penned on a Xperia Z3

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site
Re: WC 150K Post Challenge - You Ready?!

I'd rather have this here than the typos and the coffee snobbery from you know who!

I'm not going to slam him on this issue as I can remember when we used to talk heavyweight stuff like this before you posted regularly on this thread, he made some nice comments where he was showing learning and growth.

He still needs to get out of Orland to see how the world looks if he wants to go places and do things...

Penned on a Xperia Z3

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site

My take on sports is simple. Anything that legally you can allow for people to earn a living in a legal manner, I'm fine with it. Yes, it is hype and artificial in many ways, but a skill is a skill and a talent is a talent. Beats the alternative, especially those in difficult socioeconomic backgrounds.

Still, it is astounding for one person to have the means to just buy a team like Ballmer did - cash only too, if I remember correctly. And yet they raised the fares here in NYC to $2.75 a ride and that extra .25 is crushing many folks.

Posted Approved by Nexus 7 (2013)

I have nothing against sports or people getting paid to play sports. I have two issues concerning it though.

1 - It's so over hyped now that it distracts from everything, though needing a distraction in life, it has become the opium of the people. Those in power know this. Money is spent more on sports than anything else and it's damaging society in my opinion.

2 - Sports is no longer about the sports fan. It's all about how much money they can make. That's the owners, coaches and players. The fact you can get a ticket to watch is not their concern so long as they're getting their millions/billions.

Those are my two issues.

Talking about public transport. The fares go up here every year. I pay ?5.10 for a return ticket. Keep in mind my travel is about 12 minutes each way. To travel with a travel card to London cost ?14.80 but that's 'cheap' because I get a discount but with that discount I can only travel at certain times. It's usually ?22.40 without it at the same times.

worldspy99

Nov 10, 2013
Visit site

Don't get me wrong, I agree. Tax dollars work and it does help share a few crumbs of the wealth around. I would never say don't tax the rich. I'd like to get into that above 250K amount and will happily pay my taxes.

I just think we need to nail the tax dodgers and use the tax monies more effectively. There is no reason for food pantries to have bare shelves because no one is donating supplies. There is no reason to have people living on the streets in a country with the four seasons on full display. We just take the for profit angle first a bit too much in my view. Make sure people are fed, in a place with a roof overhead and give them enough of a chance to pay their bills. It is easier to work and be productive when you're not distracted by when and where your next meal comes from and or where you need to go sleep.

Penned on a Xperia Z3

The problem lies exactly in the higher income bracket. The people making 250K + want to make a million and not pay a dime more in taxes than they are currently. The millionaires want to become billionaires and not pay taxes...they want to dodge taxes....heck even Apple / Google don't want to pay their fair share.
Trickle down economics works in the USA.

What I mean in trickle down tax dodging works in the USA. The mentality of the large corporations of not paying taxes, trickles down into their executives who are billionaires/millionaires and then into their VPs and Directors and so on and so forth....

worldspy99

Nov 10, 2013
Visit site

My take on sports is simple. Anything that legally you can allow for people to earn a living in a legal manner, I'm fine with it. Yes, it is hype and artificial in many ways, but a skill is a skill and a talent is a talent. Beats the alternative, especially those in difficult socioeconomic backgrounds.

Still, it is astounding for one person to have the means to just buy a team like Ballmer did - cash only too, if I remember correctly. And yet they raised the fares here in NYC to $2.75 a ride and that extra .25 is crushing many folks.

Bill Gates and Warren Buffet have started a campaign to ask fellow billionaires to leave their wealth when they die to charity but there are more than a few billionaires who have told them to shove it...I wish someone tells them that there is no way they can take all those $$$$ with them when their time is up on this planet....

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site

Rue, I see your public transport comment and raise you this:

MTA: NYC subways (NY state stuff)
MTA: Long Island Railroad (NY state stuff)
NJ Transit: NJ state stuff
MTA Metro North: NY State + Connecticut
PATH: NJ state + NY state stuff

NYC subways and NJ transit also include buses. With the NYC subways, you have access to bus and trains for the same base fare. NJ transit, they put that into zones. So you can show a monthly train pass on NJ Transit on a bus too, depending on the number of zones it covers. You can be in a situation where even with a monthly train pass you still have to pay money out of pocket to take the business. For instance, if your train pass covers a two zone bus ride and you're on a bus taking a trip that crosses three zones, you pay the difference out of pocket.

Headache? Confused yet? But wait, there's more.

Each of those 5 systems I described offers a monthly pass option. There are hundreds of riders like me that use multiple systems so we need multiple monthly passes. I used to use a monthly PATH + ZONE 1 NJ bus pass + NYC subway pass as that was the cheapest option for my budget. Now i use an MTA Subway and a NJ transit train pass. And for folks who have to park their cars to get to mass transit, you've got to thrown in monthly park spot costs.

And even though the MTA has the three branches, they are run separately as possible... but raise their fares simultaneously whenever there's a fair increase.

And yet ALL that is done to keep as much people of the roads traveling into NYC as possible. You drive in you pay tolls...$12-$15 at these entry points one way. If EVERYONE drove into NYC, nothing would get done. And yet the George Washington Bridge coming into NYC is still the busiest bridge on Earth.

Still confused?

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site

Bill Gates and Warren Buffet have started a campaign to ask fellow billionaires to leave their wealth when they die to charity but there are more than a few billionaires who have told them to shove it...I wish someone tells them that there is no way they can take all those $$$$ with them when their time is up on this planet....

These guys won't leave their wealth to no one. You were born with nothing as a human being, you'll die with nothing as a human being. That concept does not register. They know the Pharaohs tried to take their wealth with them, and once they died, grave robbers helped themselves to it later. I don't know. Social communism was floated as a choice but capitalism is resilient as a cockroach.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site

NYC subways and NJ transit also include buses. With the NYC subways, you have access to bus and trains for the same base fare. NJ transit, they put that into zones. So you can show a monthly train pass on NJ Transit on a bus too, depending on the number of zones it covers. You can be in a situation where even with a monthly train pass you still have to pay money out of pocket to take the business. For instance, if your train pass covers a two zone bus ride and you're on a bus taking a trip that crosses three zones, you pay the difference out of pocket.

Each of those 5 systems I described offers a monthly pass option. There are hundreds of riders like me that use multiple systems so we need multiple monthly passes. I used to use a monthly PATH + ZONE 1 NJ bus pass + NYC subway pass as that was the cheapest option for my budget. Now i use an MTA Subway and a NJ transit train pass. And for folks who have to park their cars to get to mass transit, you've got to thrown in monthly park spot costs.

And even though the MTA has the three branches, they are run separately as possible... but raise their fares simultaneously whenever there's a fair increase.

And yet ALL that is done to keep as much people of the roads traveling into NYC as possible. You drive in you pay tolls...$12-$15 at these entry points one way. If EVERYONE drove into NYC, nothing would get done. And yet the George Washington Bridge coming into NYC is still the busiest bridge on Earth.

Still confused?

You explained it well. ;)

I'm not confused at all. When I lived in Canada I had to use three different systems to get to my college doing something similar to what you do. Bus, train, subway.

Here in the UK all the trains going into London are run by separate companies. Thankfully they fall under one umbrella though to keep things simple. London is dived into zones as well but most people who visit London don't leave Zone 6.

I've travelled on many different public transport systems in several counties. Several in foreign languages. Russia was interesting.... It's a lot easier than driving most of the time. For example, you wouldn't want to drive in Paris or Rome. I've driven in London, LA and New York., in Manhattan. I've used the NYC subway system as well. Was fun.

I prefer public transport. Typically when we travel to Europe with our car we park it and use public transport where we are, if we're in a large enough place that is. We've been to some pretty small towns.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site

I can't afford to take people with me! Besides, it's a one way trip for me. Once I'm there, I'm never coming back to England.
Running away huh? ;)

I did the same so I get the idea. I've been living away from Canada for almost 12 years. I won't be going back to live there, ever. Visit, yes, live, no.

worldspy99

Nov 10, 2013
Visit site

Running away huh? ;)

I did the same so I get the idea. I've been living away from Canada for almost 12 years. I won't be going back to live there, ever. Visit, yes, live, no.

Been here almost 20 years.....going back to visit - you betcha, every year sometimes every few months....going back to live probably not....

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site

Been here almost 20 years.....going back to visit - you betcha, every year sometimes every few months....going back to live probably not....

I have to admit to not going back to Canada that often but I do talk to my mum often.

I'm not really that close to my family. We're all off in their own little worlds, more or less.

sahib lopez

Apr 29, 2013
Visit site

Never take selfies while standing at the edge of a cliff or river.
Today at the news: 7 persons died while taking a group selfie when they were standing near the edge of a cliff. The ground must have gave way to their weight or something else happened. This happened in India.

And I bet it will happen again :/ sucks though

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk but I prefer my 810 and 830

sahib lopez

Apr 29, 2013
Visit site

I figured I'd share this with folks. It is one of the busiest subways stops in NYC in terms of volume of riders moved, and it is one of my transfer points to and from work. Please a note on the rough estimate of daily riders.

Sahib, I think we in NYC can fit your whole town in 1-2 subway cars...

Penned on a Xperia Z3

Lol that would fit the whole town of Orland , willows , Corning north and south plus half of redding , jeez that's crazy

sahib lopez

Apr 29, 2013
Visit site

Still confused?

Now that is confusing .... All I have to do is change 2 buses . That's about how complicate it gets for me And sometimes I think that's complicated

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site

Lol that would fit the whole town of Orland , willows , Corning north and south plus half of redding , jeez that's crazy

You can fit about 200 people per the average NYC subway car. Each train is 10 cars long.

The number of riders who pass through that stop I use on the sign from the picture I posted can fit in comfortably some of the larger SEC football stadiums.

It's the nation's biggest metropolis, so those numbers are to be expected.

Penned on a Xperia Z3

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leviwilkersion