I am realizing this, but still trying to unlearn the things I can.

I have mentioned this before but going against the grain from what is expected of you feels harder than I would expect sometimes.
    Ultimately it's more about replacing unhealthy habits and patterns with healthier ones. Many people unlearn things but never properly replace them...So the old stuff creeps back in.
    04-04-2017 09:20 AM
    Oh I'm pretty aware of that. So is my wife.

Also I've seen lots of examples here in the UK, Canada and Australia of attitudes to certain things, like going to college or university are see as being 'up oneself' to use an Aussie idiom.

I'm the only college grad in my family at this point. None of my nieces or nephews have gone to college yet. Same goes for my wife.
    I kinda figured you guys were aware...

All cheap jokes aside, it is just amazing to see how some of the common cultural archetypes get played out. Every generations experiences very similar struggles...It's just that people get caught up into how the experiences are packaged, rather than what the real lessons are...
    04-04-2017 09:25 AM
    I really wished the Mi Note 2 has those missing bits. So far it's been nice e to use.
    N_LaRUE, libra89 and Laura Knotek like this.
    04-04-2017 09:26 AM
    I really wished the Mi Note 2 has those missing bits. So far it's been nice e to use.
    I can relate to a point (I mean when it come to the Pixel for me). Sounds like that would be really nice. The missing bits are wireless charging and expandable storage, right?
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    04-04-2017 09:47 AM
    I can relate to a point (I mean when it come to the Pixel for me). Sounds like that would be really nice. The missing bits are wireless charging and expandable storage, right?
    I wouldn't mind those extras, but I think the macro shots need improvement. Also that bug has returned. I think I'll just deal with it for a while and if it get too annoying, I'll sell the device.
    libra89, N_LaRUE and Laura Knotek like this.
    04-04-2017 10:02 AM
    I wouldn't mind those extras, but I think the macro shots need improvement. Also that bug has returned. I think I'll just deal with it for a while and if it get too annoying, I'll sell the device.
    Ah okay.

I was just about to ask about the bug. I'm sorry it has returned, it's really annoying that you have to keep dealing with this or a form of it on different phones. I'm really hoping that you'll get a break.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    04-04-2017 10:19 AM
    Actually I have made a lot of progress on something that I want to pursue as a future career. I hope that 2017 is the year that things come to fruition, fingers crossed. April and May are crucial months.
    Good luck!
    libra89 and worldspy99 like this.
    04-04-2017 10:21 AM
    The baggage one carries with them through life. Sometimes you can let go. Other times it just lingers like a bad smell.
    I am finally recovering from issues related to depression that I know were going on for a long time before I finally decided to seek help. I wasn't able to move forward to the goals I wanted and needed due to my illness overwhelming everything else. Now I'm finally moving toward what I need to do to change my career.
    Last edited by Laura Knotek; 04-04-2017 at 11:00 AM.
    04-04-2017 10:29 AM
    I am finally recovering from issues related to depression that I know were going on for a long time before I finally decided to seek help. I wasn't able to move forward to the goals I wanted and needed due to my illness overwhelming everything else. Now I'm finally moving toward what I need to due to change my career.
    That's great to hear! :)

My comment was more to do with how one can be shaped by their experiences with others rather than that of an illness but all experiences shape us in some way.

What career are you changing to?
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    04-04-2017 10:39 AM
    I am finally recovering from issues related to depression that I know were going on for a long time before I finally decided to seek help. I wasn't able to move forward to the goals I wanted and needed due to my illness overwhelming everything else. Now I'm finally moving toward what I need to due to change my career.
    Good on you for taking that step to seek help and that you are recovering. That's really awesome Laura!
    I hope it all works out for you in the way that you want it to for your career. Speaking of, same field or a different one?
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    04-04-2017 10:41 AM
    That's great to hear! :)

My comment was more to do with how one can be shaped by their experiences with others rather than that of an illness but all experiences shape us in some way.

What career are you changing to?
    I got an IT networking degree several years ago after working in a chemical lab for many years. I graduated but was unable to look for work due to my illness.
    04-04-2017 10:52 AM
    That's fantastic to hear. Good luck going forward.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    04-04-2017 10:58 AM
    That's fantastic to hear. Good luck going forward.
    Thanks so much! ๐Ÿ˜Š
    libra89 likes this.
    04-04-2017 10:59 AM
    Families have an interesting way of shaping us as people, for sure.
    That is the understatement of the century.
    As I have grown older I have come to make peace with the way my parents treated me and my brother.
    We have agreed to disagree :-)
    04-04-2017 11:04 AM
    Ooh okay, I better understand your original statement now.

I have to give much props to her for going through that. That's inspiring. I can't imagine wanting to do a PhD though, but I wish her luck with the decision.
    My graduate advisor and my mother were terribly disappointed that I didn't get a PhD.
    On the other hand, I am very happy with my choice of a Masters with a lot of extra classes in engineering statistics.
    04-04-2017 11:08 AM
    I am finally recovering from issues related to depression that I know were going on for a long time before I finally decided to seek help. I wasn't able to move forward to the goals I wanted and needed due to my illness overwhelming everything else. Now I'm finally moving toward what I need to do to change my career.
    That's great to hear. Medical and mental health challenges are always so tough to deal with, especially things such as depression that can cause people to suffer in silence.

I do hope things continue to improve for you going forward.
    Laura Knotek, N_LaRUE and libra89 like this.
    04-04-2017 11:08 AM
    Some things aren't unlearned either. That's life though...
    Yup.
    The thread has had some good moments lately.
    Laura Knotek and libra89 like this.
    04-04-2017 11:10 AM
    Oh I'm pretty aware of that. So is my wife.

Also I've seen lots of examples here in the UK, Canada and Australia of attitudes to certain things, like going to college or university are see as being 'up oneself' to use an Aussie idiom.

I'm the only college grad in my family at this point. None of my nieces or nephews have gone to college yet. Same goes for my wife.
    Both my parents were college graduates.
    My wife's parents went to high school and that was the end of their schooling. All of their kids have a college degree(s).
    My brother is a college dropout but very successful in what he does for a living.

As I have grown older, I have come to appreciate the diversity around me in terms of education.
    04-04-2017 11:14 AM
    I am very happy for you Laura!
    Laura Knotek, libra89 and Muessig like this.
    04-04-2017 11:17 AM
    That's great to hear. Medical and mental health challenges are always so tough to deal with, especially things such as depression that can cause people to suffer in silence.

I do hope things continue to improve for you going forward.
    Thank you.

I wish you the best in your career change as well. ๐Ÿ˜Š
    MSFTisMIA, libra89 and Muessig like this.
    04-04-2017 11:55 AM
    Both my parents were college graduates.
    My wife's parents went to high school and that was the end of their schooling. All of their kids have a college degree(s).
    My brother is a college dropout but very successful in what he does for a living.

As I have grown older, I have come to appreciate the diversity around me in terms of education.
    It's also interesting to see what family members have done, since many do something different than what they originally studied in school or in different types of industries.
    04-04-2017 11:58 AM
    It's also interesting to see what family members have done, since many do something different than what they originally studied in school or in different types of industries.
    What I studied for my undergraduate - I applied that knowledge hands on for my first job.
    What I studied for my graduate degree - the job where I would have applied the learning hands on slipped away from my grasp (it is a very long story). The job I ended up with utilized the skills I learnt during the engineering statistics coursework and I have been very happy with how things have turned out.

What I do for my living actually touches people's lives in a very visceral and real way. Couldn't have found a better career.
    libra89, Laura Knotek and N_LaRUE like this.
    04-04-2017 01:41 PM
    So in London dieselโ€‹ cars before 2006 will have to pay extra tax. Interesting enough I saw a lorry full of old car with British registration. Seems like they will be sold in countries like Bosnia, Albania and like.
    Laura Knotek, libra89 and N_LaRUE like this.
    04-04-2017 01:56 PM
    What I studied for my undergraduate - I applied that knowledge hands on for my first job.
    What I studied for my graduate degree - the job where I would have applied the learning hands on slipped away from my grasp (it is a very long story). The job I ended up with utilized the skills I learnt during the engineering statistics coursework and I have been very happy with how things have turned out.

What I do for my living actually touches people's lives in a very visceral and real way. Couldn't have found a better career.
    That's awesome!๐Ÿ˜Š I'm so happy you found your calling.
    libra89 and N_LaRUE like this.
    04-04-2017 02:23 PM
    On the other side of the pond, people are going crazy over AW 2...
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    04-04-2017 09:07 PM
144,437 ... 53085309531053115312 ...