So, do you use your smartwatch to text, make calls, check off items from your shopping list, or just to get notifications? If you only use it for notifications, the Garmin Vivoactive hr has an amazing screen in sunlight. It's not really a very smart smartwatch, though. ๐Ÿ˜ And the screen kinda sucks in regular lighting. But in direct sunlight, it's excellent.

Sent from mTalk
    I use my smartwatch to tell time, triage notifications, control music, starts and end calls, send text messages, check weather.

I think Android Wear is a good fit for me (otherwise, I'd be using my XL as the daily driver - flaws and all). It's just an asspain to find what I want hardware wise.

I did the ****ty indoors screen but great outdoors screen already in the form of the Sony smartwatch 3. The 360 Sport was a serious improvement in screen tech over that.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    04-11-2017 07:30 PM
    Well, cannot speak to soon...Now I'm after another one. I'll be done with this soon enough...
    This is why most times I prefer to deal with then dead than alive...Now I've got to do another evening run... SMH.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    04-11-2017 07:50 PM
    I use my smartwatch to tell time, triage notifications, control music, starts and end calls, send text messages, check weather.

I think Android Wear is a good fit for me (otherwise, I'd be using my XL as the daily driver - flaws and all). It's just an asspain to find what I want hardware wise.

I did the ****ty indoors screen but great outdoors screen already in the form of the Sony smartwatch 3. The 360 Sport was a serious improvement in screen tech over that.
    Gotcha. I use mine the same say. If the Band 2 had similar functionality, I would have loved it a lot more than I did and would be using WM more. Oh, and if the band didn't completely fall apart, too. Ha ha
    libra89 and Laura Knotek like this.
    04-11-2017 08:16 PM
    Gotcha. I use mine the same say. If the Band 2 had similar functionality, I would have loved it a lot more than I did and would be using WM more. Oh, and if the band didn't completely fall apart, too. Ha ha
    The GF's band 2 effectively died 3 weeks ago. I got her a gear fit 2 for her note 5 that should arrive tomorrow.

When I tried the band 2, it felt bulky and the rubber material unpleasant to the skin. The GF had the rash issue with it at one point too. I thought a size between the OG band and band 2 with better materials would make a nice band 3.
    04-11-2017 08:28 PM
    This is why most times I prefer to deal with then dead than alive...Now I've got to do another evening run... SMH.
    This is going to be a real fight these next few weeks...SMH...
    N_LaRUE, libra89 and Laura Knotek like this.
    04-11-2017 08:34 PM
    We're saved! Joe Belfiore is back!

Meanwhile, I'm waiting for my 950 camera replacement to arrive this Friday. If I had realized how simple the install is, or at least how simple it looks on disassembly videos, and how cheap the camera part is, I'd have done this months ago. Hopefully everything comes apart and back together easily enough.
    N_LaRUE, libra89 and Laura Knotek like this.
    04-11-2017 11:55 PM
    I'll take the Joe return a as sarcasm.

How long was he gone for anyway? It's been more than a year surely.

Sounds like his new position is going to be interesting... I guess.
    04-12-2017 12:27 AM
    I'll take the Joe return a as sarcasm.

How long was he gone for anyway? It's been more than a year surely.

Sounds like his new position is going to be interesting... I guess.
    I forgot when he left but you are right, it's been more than a year for sure. Probably around a year and 5 months.

I don't really know what to expect with his return.
    N_LaRUE and Laura Knotek like this.
    04-12-2017 08:56 AM
    I'm wanting to say it was an 18 month sabbatical for Joe.
    libra89, N_LaRUE and Laura Knotek like this.
    04-12-2017 10:29 AM
    Interesting article from Dan. Nice to seem some scepticism for a change.
    04-12-2017 11:37 AM
    Interesting article from Dan. Nice to seem some scepticism for a change.
    I assume you're talking about this one? If not phones, Microsoft needs another device category to ensure Windows success | Windows Central

Yeah, it was a nice read, and a reminder that MS (Nutella) said...

If no OEM stands up to build Windows devices we'll build them.
    So, we're waiting...

wheres-beef1.jpg
    04-12-2017 11:55 AM
    I just saw the specs for the new Alcatel Idol 5. I think that device would be a really great WM10, about 3X better than the Cerulean Moment, IMO.
    libra89 and Scienceguy Labs like this.
    04-12-2017 04:22 PM
    Yeah, it was a nice read, and a reminder that MS (Nutella) said.
    Yeah that was the article. I'm not overly fond of calling Nadella names, especially that one. I get that mobile phone users are unhappy but if you look at the bigger picture, he's raised the profile of MS with a level of class that Balmer could never do. He's also put key people in positions that have made MS into a better company overall. Whether you agree with that is a different thing but more people like MS now compared to a few years ago. Though W10 is good I think eventually it will be great.

The simple fact is that WP/WM was always in a poor position. Regardless how good it was, without apps that people want you're left in that Catch 22 position. No users, no apps, repeat.

A lot of the comments in that article point to bots and AI and web apps. All the usual things. Regardless of those things, right here, right now, apps are it. That hasn't changed yet and I don't see it changing any time soon.

I'm not entirely sure what MS can do. I agree with Dan on that point more than any. MS is known for doing things secretly but there seems to be more confusion on this issue than any other.

At the end of the day, MS can release the best phone in the world, it won't matter. No apps, means no new users, or people being curious then leaving to 'what they know'. I can understand why their focus is shifting to enterprise, something they should have done from the get go, but it all seems a bit 'late to the game' kind of thinking. Most enterprises are focused on Android and iPhones.

The competition has it at this moment in time. For MS to make any headway they need an earthquake shift in what people think of when they think mobile. It will take years to make that shift happen. In the process they will probably lose their 'fans' though.
    libra89 and sinime like this.
    04-13-2017 02:50 AM
    New requirements for flying UA
    04-13-2017 08:20 AM
    All of those Untied memes making the rounds are pretty funny.
    libra89, Laura Knotek and N_LaRUE like this.
    04-13-2017 04:22 PM
    My wife and I will be traveling to Seattle next month for a long weekend. Anybody have any good suggestions on what to do and/or where to eat? Thanks.
    04-13-2017 04:24 PM
    My wife and I will be traveling to Seattle next month for a long weekend. Anybody have any good suggestions on what to do and/or where to eat? Thanks.
    I'm jealous. I've always wanted to go to Seattle ever since Ken Griffey Jr was roaming the outfield. Always looked like a beautiful city. Sorry I can't help you out but enjoy!
    04-13-2017 05:28 PM
    I'm a little too far South East to give advice on What to do/or where to eat in Seattle, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn once. You could check out the $150 coffee cup that is sold by that Seattle coffee company everyone loves to hate! The mug is actually kind of neat, but yeah, it's probably available at any one of their thousands of stores across the US. It is rechargeable and keeps your coffee at a set temperature for up to 2 hrs on a charge. A little to pricey for me... I'll just stick with my Yeti.

In other news... Wife sent a text that the replacement camera for my 950 came in early, so I'm crossing my fingers that the repair goes without a hitch. With any luck, I'll be posting a picture from the new camera later tonight!
    04-13-2017 05:39 PM
    And... The new camera seems to be working! Much easier than it looked on the video... Although I cheated and reused the screws ๐Ÿ˜ฑ

Sent from mTalk
    04-13-2017 08:36 PM
    That sounds nice! Enjoy!
    04-13-2017 09:03 PM
    And... The new camera seems to be working! Much easier than it looked on the video... Although I cheated and reused the screws

http://i.imgur.com/VdRECu5.jpg

Sent from mTalk
    Glad to hear it that it is working. \o/ Whoa at the fact that you did it though!
    04-13-2017 09:04 PM
    Glad to hear it that it is working. \o/ Whoa at the fact that you did it though!
    Even did it while a 3 month old was screaming her head off :/

Although this wasn't my first phone dissection. I had previously swapped radios on a Palm Pre + and a Pre 2... converted both from ATT to Sprint. As long as there is no soldering involved, I'm usually OK with electronic repairs. Think it's in my DNA... My dad used to repair TVs on the side, in his free time, back in the 70's. And the TV we had in the living room was a kit TV he mounted in the wall on a sliding drawer so it could be fixed as needed.
    04-13-2017 09:14 PM
    Ping me via email.
    Had a fabulous 8 days last July in Seattle area.
    04-13-2017 09:52 PM
    Ping me via email.
    Had a fabulous 8 days last July in Seattle area.
    Oh and I have more than a few recommendations for food๐Ÿ˜๐Ÿ˜๐Ÿ˜
    04-13-2017 09:53 PM
    I'll do that, worldspy99. Thanks.
    And your DC recs were excellent. I have tons of food pics, but haven't had time to post them yet.
    libra89, Laura Knotek and N_LaRUE like this.
    04-13-2017 09:56 PM
145,204 ... 53165317531853195320 ...