Haha @ the visual of a Trump guest speech in that kind of setting.

Oh okay, I see. I'm not sure actually if it should be for me or not. Interestingly enough, I'm more so this way with actions and objects but rarely ever with people.
    That's the beauty of life. Some people accept those things as an "inherent character flaw" and still have a life they deem to be meaningful. Others will see it as something to improve on and still have a life they deem meaningful.

That's up to you.
    libra89 and Laura Knotek like this.
    04-19-2017 06:21 AM
    Lately they all come in a huge box, makes it easier to carry. Although testing happens about two phones at a time since I have two lines on TMO.
    Cool. I'm looking forward to reading the 99 S8 review.
    libra89, N_LaRUE and worldspy99 like this.
    04-19-2017 06:22 AM
    So...After a week or so with the SBH-70, I'll say this: I like them. The pros are water resistance, nice sound, lightweight and the design is very comfortable. The cons are that they don't stay in the ear consistently (will need foam tips) and the battery life seems so-so.
    04-19-2017 06:23 AM
    The Mi 6 looks really good. That blue and gold and that ceramic and gold options remind me if the Note 7 and 930 Gold editions.

Stills pretty satisfied with the Mi Note 2. Curious to see how 7.1.1 gets done by Xiaomi though...
    04-19-2017 06:44 AM
    My biggest gripe with going to USB-C for audio is that some companies may go the HTC route and not use a standard output, forcing you to buy more headphones.

I'll always prefer wired headphones, and have been around long enough to see proprietary and 2.5mm jacks on phones. All I want is a common suitable standard.
    04-19-2017 06:47 AM
    That's the beauty of life. Some people accept those things as an "inherent character flaw" and still have a life they deem to be meaningful. Others will see it as something to improve on and still have a life they deem meaningful.

That's up to you.
    You're so right. I'm sure that in my case, it is linked to other things. I'll think about it.
    04-19-2017 07:28 AM
    Same!
    worldspy99 likes this.
    04-19-2017 07:28 AM
    So...After a week or so with the SBH-70, I'll say this: I like them. The pros are water resistance, nice sound, lightweight and the design is very comfortable. The cons are that they don't stay in the ear consistently (will need foam tips) and the battery life seems so-so.
    That sucks about the battery life but it sounds like it's working decently for you at the moment. Hopefully you can find some ear tips.
    04-19-2017 07:29 AM
    That sucks about the battery life but it sounds like it's working decently for you at the moment. Hopefully you can find some ear tips.
    I'll order some ear tips later. Between these and my G8 wired headphones, I'm good.
    04-19-2017 07:38 AM
    You're so right. I'm sure that in my case, it is linked to other things. I'll think about it.
    It almost always is. I hope you find what's most appropriate for you.
    libra89 and N_LaRUE like this.
    04-19-2017 07:38 AM
    It almost always is. I hope you find what's most appropriate for you.
    Thanks, I should look into what works. Maybe your suggestion on trying to improve it isn't so bad but that feels like it would be hard since wanting to control is a thing with me.

It feels easier to manage the small things that I can, like the phones I use or try. Much easier than debating and freaking out with massive things that I can't, all while trying to deal.
    N_LaRUE and Laura Knotek like this.
    04-19-2017 07:51 AM
    Thanks, I should look into what works. Maybe your suggestion on trying to improve it isn't so bad but that feels like it would be hard since wanting to control is a thing with me.

It feels easier to manage the small things that I can, like the phones I use or try. Much easier than debating and freaking out with massive things that I can't, all while trying to deal.
    We all freak out over massive things we can't control. :) It's part of our nature. It's part of being human. Our tribal and survival instincts take over.

I guess I've learned to just do what's best for me. I still have my moments of course, that's part of living. Thing is knowing when to make a decision and just work on that.

That's not always been easy for me. I spent a long time just being somewhat numb. I still have my points of procrastination too. Drives my wife a bit nuts I have to admit.

I've been through a lot of change since 2003 (I know that's some years ago) but that's the truth. Moving a lot. Travelling and experiencing the ups and downs of life. It's been an interesting experience.

I get the list you posted and the two that stuck with me is about where to live and what you want to live in. That's more important that what we give it credit. Our environment has a big impact on how we feel.

Hope you find what you're looking for. :)
    04-19-2017 08:45 AM
    We all freak out over massive things we can't control. :) It's part of our nature. It's part of being human. Our tribal and survival instincts take over.

I guess I've learned to just do what's best for me. I still have my moments of course, that's part of living. Thing is knowing when to make a decision and just work on that.

That's not always been easy for me. I spent a long time just being somewhat numb. I still have my points of procrastination too. Drives my wife a bit nuts I have to admit.

I've been through a lot of change since 2003 (I know that's some years ago) but that's the truth. Moving a lot. Travelling and experiencing the ups and downs of life. It's been an interesting experience.

I get the list you posted and the two that stuck with me is about where to live and what you want to live in. That's more important that what we give it credit. Our environment has a big impact on how we feel.

I couldn't agree more regarding the where you live and what you want t live in. It's absolutely one of the biggest defining pieces to our lives that we don't always realize. It really can shape a lot of your other decisions as well.
    N_LaRUE, libra89 and Laura Knotek like this.
    04-19-2017 09:02 AM
    Give me a couple of weeks. I'm getting on a plane again in a couple of hours. This is getting old. And all options that are currently under consideration as a future career choice aren't going to reduce work travel.
    Man, sometimes these first world problems are a drag!
    04-19-2017 09:06 AM
    The Mi 6 looks really good. That blue and gold and that ceramic and gold options remind me if the Note 7 and 930 Gold editions.

Stills pretty satisfied with the Mi Note 2. Curious to see how 7.1.1 gets done by Xiaomi though...
    Yeah, I like the look of the Mi6. High probability of me getting one. Hopefully they'll include USA LTE bands.
    04-19-2017 09:07 AM
    A Cathay Pacific 777 landing at LAX.
    04-19-2017 09:12 AM

I left that out on purpose, especially as I'm going through my own process to answer those two questions. It's not easy, but it does boil down to what is defined as important in the individual level.

While we cannot tell someone what it important to them, we can encourage them to decide whether it is worth exploring the process of finding out what is important to them.
    04-19-2017 09:30 AM
    Yeah, I like the look of the Mi6. High probability of me getting one. Hopefully they'll include USA LTE bands.
    Sounds like we'll hear about the review for that too. Looks like they took the design language started in the Mi 5 and Mi Note 2 and refined it some more.
    04-19-2017 09:31 AM
    Sounds like we'll hear about the review for that too. Looks like they took the design language started in the Mi 5 and Mi Note 2 and refined it some more.
    Mi5 and Mi Note 2 were their original designs. I believe the Mi6 is a bit of a nod to Huawei/Apple. We'll see how it actually is in person.
    04-19-2017 10:00 AM
    Ooh okay. Wow. It's kind of funny that you mentioned something about possibly trying something slightly different (I can't recall exactly how you worded it) and this pops up.

Do you think it could be interesting to try it out?
    My current job is my 3rd one in the USA.
    I have been at the same level (title) for the last 6 years. So I have been exploring a few options lately since there isn't any upward mobility at the current location of the company. However, there now seems to be a decent chance of a position one level up to be vacant and I'm definitely applying for that.

In the meantime recruiters have been calling me left, right and center.

I have an interview next week for a small but growing company for a one level up position in product engineering. There is a good chance that they are a supplier to the fruit stand based in Cupertino. It is local, a long commute though but nevertheless I am going to let the whole situation play out.

The Alphabet position is also decent. If I can get my foot in the door, I'll go for it even though it maybe a lateral move.

I'm talking to a few other established companies and startups as well. In 2008, I turned down a startup offer which in hindsight was a very poor decision as I would have actually happily retired by now.

Then there is one more Trojan horse operation that I work on the side at nights and that might be ready for prime time next month, fingers crossed.

So lots of options, lot to think about. But in some ways better to have these problems than none at all.
    04-19-2017 10:09 AM
    I left that out on purpose, especially as I'm going through my own process to answer those two questions. It's not easy, but it does boil down to what is defined as important in the individual level.

While we cannot tell someone what it important to them, we can encourage them to decide whether it is worth exploring the process of finding out what is important to them.
    They are the two questions running through my mind at the moment as well.

I was referring generally how I feel and what I've found. Each person needs to sort out what works for them.

Being in the position I am and having to come up with Plan A, B, C, D etc on where to go next in life, preferably in the next two years, these two questions are weighing heavily on me and there are factors well beyond my control with them. The answers are not easy at all.

We've decided a plan but that doesn't meant it's going to go that way.

Hence the other plans. My life has been a bit like this in the last 14 years... I'm a bit used to it but it does get tiring sometimes.

Such is life.
    04-19-2017 10:13 AM

Yes you really have been through a lot. Whoa!

You're right though, and thank you. I feel like I don't want to make a mistake with that process. Ideally, I want to be not too far from work and also not too far from the school I hope to attend. For context, it's the only one in my state that offers the Masters I'm looking to do. Right now, I'm quite far from the school.

It feels kind of silly to plan for what I'm hoping for but I know I just need to do the work to get into the program.
    04-19-2017 10:32 AM
    Yes you really have been through a lot. Whoa!

You're right though, and thank you. I feel like I don't want to make a mistake with that process. Ideally, I want to be not too far from work and also not too far from the school I hope to attend. For context, it's the only one in my state that offers the Masters I'm looking to do. Right now, I'm quite far from the school.

It feels kind of silly to plan for what I'm hoping for but I know I just need to do the work to get into the program.
    If I told you the whole story it would probably blow your mind. It still blows mine and I lived it! It feels like someone else's life. Sounds a lot more adventurous and crazy than what it feels like... That probably sounds weird. LOL!

Moving is never easy. Even to places you may know. Finding compromise is really difficult.

I've moved a lot where I lived in Canada and Australia. Here in the UK is probably the least I've moved. Oddly it's not the furthest commute I've had. Our moving has been on the fly a lot. So I'm not the best person to ask for guidance.

That's why I said I hope you're find what works for you. :)
    04-19-2017 10:43 AM
    My current job is my 3rd one in the USA.
    I have been at the same level (title) for the last 6 years. So I have been exploring a few options lately since there isn't any upward mobility at the current location of the company. However, there now seems to be a decent chance of a position one level up to be vacant and I'm definitely applying for that.

In the meantime recruiters have been calling me left, right and center.

I have an interview next week for a small but growing company for a one level up position in product engineering. There is a good chance that they are a supplier to the fruit stand based in Cupertino. It is local, a long commute though but nevertheless I am going to let the whole situation play out.

The Alphabet position is also decent. If I can get my foot in the door, I'll go for it even though it maybe a lateral move.

I'm talking to a few other established companies and startups as well. In 2008, I turned down a startup offer which in hindsight was a very poor decision as I would have actually happily retired by now.

Then there is one more Trojan horse operation that I work on the side at nights and that might be ready for prime time next month, fingers crossed.

So lots of options, lot to think about. But in some ways better to have these problems than none at all.
    First, thanks for answering!

Wow, you really have the ball rolling here in various ways. That's a lot to think about and consider. Good luck with the interview (this goes for Alphabet too really)! Also good luck with the operation you have on the side. I hope it will be ready when you want it to be.

May you decide on the best paths for you.
    04-19-2017 10:47 AM
    I just had lunch and in a word it was.... Underwhelming.
    N_LaRUE likes this.
    04-19-2017 11:45 AM
143,680 ... 53215322532353245325 ...