You do have time. It will be interesting to see what you decide at some point.
    Depends on the V20. If I can flash the US software, then I keep it. If not, I may sell it and consider something else, like a G6 or a Key One.
    libra89 and Laura Knotek like this.
    07-04-2017 07:29 PM
    Depends on the V20. If I can flash the US software, then I keep it. If not, I may sell it and consider something else, like a G6 or a Key One.
    Ooh okay, I see. Sounds like a good plan.
    07-04-2017 07:43 PM
    I agree. I find it interesting that you say that though. Before getting into the smartphone realm (I was late), most of my feature phones started falling apart after the 1st year. As for my smartphones, I haven't had that issue even though I chose to replace them after or around the year mark.

Aside from screen cracking, I have seen that possibly when it comes to Apple. My friend's mom has an iPhone 4 which has been used as a daily phone for years until the dad upgraded to the iPhone SE last year and gave her that phone.
    My point wasn't about durability of smartphones but the 'longevity' of the device from a hardware/software perspective.

Let's take the Pixel for example. It's got an end of life cycle for 2018. Think about that for a moment. Here's a device, considered best ever Android phone but the device will only have two OS updates and possibly three years security patches.

Why is the technology of that phone so poor that it can't last past 2018? I'm a little dumbfounded by that.

I can appreciate people wanting something new. I can get the fact that newer devices are generally 'better' but I'm having a hard time believing that a phone is only good for two years. This is my issue.
    07-05-2017 02:00 AM
    I have seen them at least 10 or 12 times. In fact, I'm going to see them Thursday. I live on the border with Canada so they come here a lot. Their lead singer, Jeff Martin, reminds me a bit of Jim Morrison. Great vocals and he plays a variety of string instruments from around the world. A great band to see live.
    I haven't had a chance to see them live yet. There's a lot of reasons behind it. However, if they do make their way to Europe I'm going to try really hard to go see them. Sort of depends on timing though.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    07-05-2017 02:01 AM
    My point wasn't about durability of smartphones but the 'longevity' of the device from a hardware/software perspective.

Let's take the Pixel for example. It's got an end of life cycle for 2018. Think about that for a moment. Here's a device, considered best ever Android phone but the device will only have two OS updates and possibly three years security patches.

Why is the technology of that phone so poor that it can't last past 2018? I'm a little dumbfounded by that.

I can appreciate people wanting something new. I can get the fact that newer devices are generally 'better' but I'm having a hard time believing that a phone is only good for two years. This is my issue.
    Ah okay, I see. I can agree with you on how it seems to be, especially on the Android side of things.
    N_LaRUE likes this.
    07-05-2017 06:22 AM

Android is still driven by the mantra of rapid hardware expansion. OEMs still find it more practical from a business model (for maximizing profits)to focus resources on creating the next product than maintaining current model optimally...maintaining a phone you've sold means that you don't get that customer next year as a new buyer.

Plus, most OEMs do not control directly how Android software is made, unlike ye old fruit stand. Apple gets a cut from the consumer when you buy the hardware, as that's the gateway to the most important part of their business - software in the form of apps. They also get about 30% (this figure may have been lowered to 20-25%) of revenue of each paid app.

So the Android OEMs see this and want this, but on Android you can only do this by building your ecosystem on top of Google software (aka bloat from the consumer end in the form of skins and value added apps). Or you go the uber hardware route by either building super compelling hardware from deep pockets (Samsung) or running on razor thin margins (Xiaomi).

Truth is, the good Android phones since 2014 (excluding to some degree 2015 as Qualcomm screwed everyone with those chips) are capable of over two years worth support and use. My favorite example is my Z3 Tablet Compact, which is nearly three years old but runs great...and you could theoretically get another two years from (battery degradation excluded) with 7.0 due to multi-purpose to maximize screen real estate. You can blame the switch from 32-bit to 64-bit in 2015, but up to this year Google was supporting the Android Market app for ancient models. Google also found a way to get 7.0 on the Nexus 6, while the Moto Maxx which runs the exact internal base hardware is stuck on 6.0.1.

So Android OEMs make hardware for it to be the next big hit and fully useful for today like the old featured phones of yesteryear...if it is a hit, it is more likely to get support consistently. If it flops, it is easier to bury. At least with Apple, while the softeare runs slower on plder hardware with each update, they have their hands in your pocket software wise so they still rack in the $$$.
    07-05-2017 06:51 AM
    So Android OEMs make hardware for it to be the next big hit and fully useful for today like the old featured phones of yesteryear...if it is a hit, it is more likely to get support consistently. If it flops, it is easier to bury. At least with Apple, while the softeare runs slower on plder hardware with each update, they have their hands in your pocket software wise so they still rack in the $$$.
    Though I like Android it is one of the more frustrating aspects of the OS and ecosystem. I know Google is trying to fix this. I hope it's soon.

Also, the differences between Apple and Android are very apparent in the way they make money. I knew Apple had ridiculous control over how people purchase things. I believe that's one of Apple's downfalls, though many don't see it that way. Android suffers because of it's inability to capitalise this way.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    07-05-2017 08:21 AM
    Though I like Android it is one of the more frustrating aspects of the OS and ecosystem. I know Google is trying to fix this. I hope it's soon.

Also, the differences between Apple and Android are very apparent in the way they make money. I knew Apple had ridiculous control over how people purchase things. I believe that's one of Apple's downfalls, though many don't see it that way. Android suffers because of it's inability to capitalise this way.
    Apple control is serious. I used iPhones back in the day when you had softcore apps with lingerie and pasties wearing models were around (shout out to those who know what I'm talking about). Apple stepped in and killed these for "morality and ensuring we have high quality apps" reasons.

I like you can root Android. I like the fact OEMs can do skins. What I don't like is the inconsistencies in support. Open alliance stated it's up to 24 months of software updates (much of that driven by the US carrier contract cycles). If Google were smart, they would go with 36 months of OS AND security updates for their phones. That justifies the premium​ price tag.

I didn't get a Pixel as it was too expensive, had lens flare issues and if I chose to keep it for 3 years, I'd get only 2/3 of that with OS updates. Buying a Pixel now gives me a year of OS updates. Makes no sense.

As much as people shat on Sony, while slower with updates, they support their stuff better than most. The Z3+ (a Z3 with the S810 gen 1 chip) runs 7.1.1, launched with 5.0.1. Z3 went from 4.4.4 to 5.0.1 to 5.1 to 6.0.1 (and likely would have seen 7.0). Hardware has matured enough where OEMs could streamline product lines and add a other 6-12 months of support to entrench users into their brand.

But hey, when you greed it, $$$ is all you see...
    libra89 and N_LaRUE like this.
    07-05-2017 10:04 AM
    I often find it funny when people think I'm not listening to them. I do listen, I just think their points are lacking evidence and are nonsense. For some reason, that seems to upset them.

So instead of addressing my points they just make more stuff up...
    libra89 and MSFTisMIA like this.
    07-05-2017 10:38 AM
    I often find it funny when people think I'm not listening to them. I do listen, I just think their points are lacking evidence and are nonsense. For some reason, that seems to upset them.

So instead of addressing my points they just make more stuff up...
    You've got a way about tuning out whenever people are trying to shat crap that some folks just cannot appreciate...
    libra89, Laura Knotek and N_LaRUE like this.
    07-05-2017 08:46 PM
    I'm still in between about the V20. I'll make a concerted effort to see if I can flash the final software on it. My guess is I'll have to unlock the bootloader, but will LG allow me? It's essentially a loaner unit, after all...
    07-05-2017 09:21 PM
    So, quick update. 50% of my personal Brexit is in place. Still working on the other 50%.

It's a waiting game...
    07-06-2017 02:16 AM
    So it's a nice warm and sunny 28C (82F) here. :) I'm at work though... :(
    libra89 and MSFTisMIA like this.
    07-06-2017 07:20 AM
    So it's a nice warm and sunny 28C (82F) here. :) I'm at work though... :(
    You'll be done soon enough where you can go home and hear the news about Mr. Trump speaking in Poland.
    libra89 likes this.
    07-06-2017 07:34 AM
    So my friend who I bought her first smartphone as a gift a few years ago (HTC 8X), is looking for a phone recommendation. She's like Libra and prefers small phones (she's relatively petite and with smaller skinny fingers). Ordinarily, I'd suggest something like the S7 for her, but honestly I told her the iPhone SE.
    N_LaRUE, libra89 and Laura Knotek like this.
    07-06-2017 07:36 AM
    You'll be done soon enough where you can go home and hear the news about Mr. Trump speaking in Poland.
    They had him on the BBC here and I didn't hear what he said but I can't stand the sight of him personally. Don't get me started on his inability to speak or make sentences.

I took quick look at a news site. It appears the Polish president went out of his way to make Thump feel good about himself... he's such a horrible individual.
    07-06-2017 07:58 AM
    They had him on the BBC here and I didn't hear what he said but I can't stand the sight of him personally. Don't get me started on his inability to speak or make sentences.

I took quick look at a news site. It appears the Polish president went out of his way to make Thump feel good about himself... he's such a horrible individual.
    Trump likes his ego (maybe the regular one and the one Beyonce was singing about) stroked so no surprises there...
    libra89 and N_LaRUE like this.
    07-06-2017 08:24 AM
    Trump likes his ego (maybe the regular one and the one Beyonce was singing about) stroked so no surprises there...
    Probably the best thing the media could do is stop talking about him. :P

But then he'll just become more evil... :/
    07-06-2017 09:21 AM
    Probably the best thing the media could do is stop talking about him.

But then he'll just become more evil... :/
    He is holding one of the most important jobs on Earth - media has to talk about him.
    libra89 likes this.
    07-06-2017 09:22 AM
    So my friend who I bought her first smartphone as a gift a few years ago (HTC 8X), is looking for a phone recommendation. She's like Libra and prefers small phones (she's relatively petite and with smaller skinny fingers). Ordinarily, I'd suggest something like the S7 for her, but honestly I told her the iPhone SE.
    I hope she likes it! I tried the 8X and the size was great, I just hated that it never got 8.1.
    07-06-2017 09:25 AM
    He is holding one of the most important jobs on Earth - media has to talk about him.
    Yes I know, unfortunately. I hate seeing him on my TV. Just as much as I hate see Maybot...
    07-06-2017 09:26 AM
    I hope she likes it! I tried the 8X and the size was great, I just hated that it never got 8.1.
    We'll see if she buys it. She did give windows the old college try and her 8X was stolen in a cab.
    07-06-2017 09:27 AM
    Yes I know, unfortunately. I hate seeing him on my TV. Just as much as I hate see Maybot...
    This reminds me of an old joke from back home...

So this man who really had a strong dislike for the sitting PM at the time (Michael Manley) was watching TV one day. Suddenly, there was PM Manley giving a speech. His wife in the other room heard a loud crash and the sound of breaking glass. She rushed in to see a broken window and an empty space in the living room.

Wife: "What the hell happened here?"
    Husband: "PM Manley came on TV in the middle of my show, so I had to kill him. It's about time someone took care of this fool."
    07-06-2017 09:33 AM
    Yes, but they don't have to report his Twits. Maybe if they stop concentrating on stroking his ego, he'll let up and start doing his job.

Sent from my Elite x3 on mTalk
    07-06-2017 09:34 AM
    Yes, but they don't have to report his Twits. Maybe if they stop concentrating on stroking his ego, he'll let up and start doing his job.

Sent from my Elite x3 on mTalk
    He is doing his job, getting his ego stroked. The whole running the country bit is a side business.
    N_LaRUE, libra89, TgeekB and 1 others like this.
    07-06-2017 09:35 AM
142,852 ... 54225423542454255426 ...