I hope my noob mistake just now didn't completely screw me...gotta make a few calls now...
    07-11-2017 07:34 AM
    I really despise having anything to do with government applications.

I need to apply for a new Canadian passport because they brought in some new rule (no idea why) that dual citizens need to have a Canadian passport. Good thing I don't have any travel plans to Canada any time soon.

Of course the Canadian government didn't consider for minute what this may entail and how much of a pain it is to renew one's passport overseas is. Typical government.
    It's why I chose to keep my US passport and renew it instead of carrying two and trying for dual citizenship. I prefer the shorter US resident lines returning through EWR/JFK over the longer visitor's lines in other countries all day, every day and twice on Sundays...
    libra89 and Laura Knotek like this.
    07-11-2017 07:36 AM
    It's why I chose to keep my US passport and renew it instead of carrying two and trying for dual citizenship. I prefer the shorter US resident lines returning through EWR/JFK over the longer visitor's lines in other countries all day, every day and twice on Sundays...
    I wouldn't bother with the Canadian one but if I ever plan to visit Canada (which I will have to do one day) I'll need it unfortunately. Other than losing my Canadian citizenship this is the only option.
    MSFTisMIA and Laura Knotek like this.
    07-11-2017 08:03 AM
    Ahh this sounds annoying. I'm guessing you would have to go to the embassy to do this?
    Yeah I have to go there but that's not a big deal. It's right next to Trafalgar Square in London. It's easy to get to at least.
    07-11-2017 08:15 AM
    Yeah I have to go there but that's not a big deal. It's right next to Trafalgar Square in London. It's easy to get to at least.
    That's good that it's easy to get to. This sounds like just another thing to deal with. You reminded me that I need to start the process to renew my own US passport. It's not expired yet but I believe it's set to expire next year, just not sure what time. Need to check that after all of this wedding stuff is done.
    fatclue_98 and Laura Knotek like this.
    07-11-2017 08:18 AM
    That's good that it's easy to get to. This sounds like just another thing to deal with. You reminded me that I need to start the process to renew my own US passport. It's not expired yet but I believe it's set to expire next year, just not sure what time. Need to check that after all of this wedding stuff is done.
    Don't wait too long. Even renewing a US passport isn't as easy as it used to be.
    N_LaRUE, libra89 and Laura Knotek like this.
    07-11-2017 08:22 AM
    Don't wait too long. Even renewing a US passport isn't as easy as it used to be.
    Yeah, you're right about that. I heard that it was backed up and to start early but this whole wedding thing and funds for it just literally appeared out of nowhere from February to present. I will do it next week for sure. It's going to be weird to take a picture without my glasses since that's the new stupid rule.

Honestly, the US passport will be easier to renew over my Nigerian passport. My dad and mom went through that process recently and it was a pain that took multiple trips.
    N_LaRUE and Laura Knotek like this.
    07-11-2017 08:40 AM
    I had a fun time renewing mine in person. You can do it by mail, so do it early, Libra.
    libra89, N_LaRUE and Laura Knotek like this.
    07-11-2017 08:49 AM
    I had a fun time renewing mine in person. You can do it by mail, so do it early, Libra.
    I'll do that, thanks! I know that I'll need a new picture so it would be nice to do that with nice hair haha
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    07-11-2017 08:50 AM
    I'll have to go in person because I have to fill out an extra form. At the moment they're saying 8 weeks instead of the normal 4 weeks due to this new requirement.
    07-11-2017 08:54 AM
    I'll have to go in person because I have to fill out an extra form. At the moment they're saying 8 weeks instead of the normal 4 weeks due to this new requirement.
    A government policy change. The gift of screw you that keeps on giving...
    libra89, N_LaRUE and Laura Knotek like this.
    07-11-2017 09:23 AM
    It's looking like a France trip this weekend... last minute... hmmm...
    07-11-2017 10:13 AM
    It's looking like a France trip this weekend... last minute... hmmm...
    Hopefully it will be good for you two and also, hopefully a good deal can be found with your travels.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    07-11-2017 10:26 AM
    Ooh, got a small raise that went into effect this month, because the board reviewed my position \o/

Hopefully this will help with finding a place to live. I felt priced out of some places but just a little bit goes quite a way...
    07-11-2017 10:28 AM
    Ooh, got a small raise that went into effect this month, because the board reviewed my position \o/

Hopefully this will help with finding a place to live. I felt priced out of some places but just a little bit goes quite a way...
    Congrats! I haven't had a raise in two years.
    07-11-2017 10:37 AM
    Thank you! Two years is a while, hopefully you'll get one soon. It's interesting that you mention every two years, because it seems like this review thing happens every two years. I was hired in the off year, I guess.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    07-11-2017 10:44 AM
    Hopefully it will be good for you two and also, hopefully a good deal can be found with your travels.
    We'll see what happens. Always good to keep expectations in check. :)
    07-11-2017 10:44 AM
    I didn't get one in 3 years before I left, and when I used to get them, they were 1% raises.
    07-11-2017 10:45 AM
    Thank you! Two years is a while, hopefully you'll get one soon. It's interesting that you mention every two years, because it seems like this review thing happens every two years. I was hired in the off year, I guess.
    My review is yearly but they just recently changed the system of how one gets a raise without explaining on how to get a raise. Typical large corporation...

Personally I don't care to be honest. I don't plan to be here much longer if I can help it.
    libra89 and fatclue_98 like this.
    07-11-2017 10:46 AM
    We'll see what happens. Always good to keep expectations in check. :)
    I know but still, hoping for a good outcome isn't a bad thing in my opinion. At least you realized this on Tuesday over having this happen on Thursday, if that counts for anything.
    fatclue_98 likes this.
    07-11-2017 10:46 AM
    I didn't get one in 3 years before I left, and when I used to get them, they were 1% raises.
    That's about the level I've been getting. I think it's because I've been too close to getting perks at my level.

Anyway, like I said, who care right? I'm changing lifestyle so... :)
    libra89 and fatclue_98 like this.
    07-11-2017 10:47 AM
    My review is yearly but they just recently changed the system of how one gets a raise without explaining on how to get a raise. Typical large corporation...

Personally I don't care to be honest. I don't plan to be here much longer if I can help it.
    True. I keep forgetting that point.
    07-11-2017 10:47 AM
    That's about the level I've been getting. I think it's because I've been too close to getting perks at my level.

Anyway, like I said, who care right? I'm changing lifestyle so... :)
    I used to chuckle as the last 1% raise i got was a take home increase of $20. No typos there...$20 increase.
    N_LaRUE and fatclue_98 like this.
    07-11-2017 10:48 AM
    I know but still, hoping for a good outcome isn't a bad thing in my opinion. At least you realized this on Tuesday over having this happen on Thursday, if that counts for anything.
    The only issue with timing is travel costs. :P

We haven't got everything setup but we're hoping to before we go this weekend. I'm taking Monday off so we can get cheaper flights.
    07-11-2017 10:48 AM
    That's more than likely what I have to look forward to here (it's really just an increase for cost of living adjustments), but it's alright since being here allows me to go to grad school for free. I just need to get myself set to actually sticking to that.
    07-11-2017 10:49 AM
142,846 ... 54315432543354345435 ...