So I was successfully able to flash some updated software on the V20. Now I'm up to the Dec 2016 security patch. Lol.

From what I've read, in LG's quest to copy Samsung, they may have taken up the bad habit of being slow to update their unlocked US models. When I was on the international G4, the updates were fast and furious. Looks like Verizon's V20 is on the latest security patch and the other carriers aren't far behind. At least that's improved, it seems. And at least the US unlocked G6 is now on the June 2017 patch.

My Z3 Tablet Compact is forever stuck on 6.0.1 and my Mi Note 2's on 6.0.1 too. Yes, MIUI 9 + 7.0 was announced today. And yes, the Mi Note 2 is in one of the earlier groups to get the update. But with 8.0 likely under two months away...not going to see that here for a while.

Now, what about Apple? What about them, really? While they offer better hardware support in terms of all devices getting the latest update, they're not different than Android in some ways when their latest updates always run best with their newest hardware. You get a point of diminshed returns and I'd rather have slightly older but stable software on older hardware than newer laggy **** on older hardware.

So all I can do is wait... it's not like I'm going to pull out my 950XL for uber software updates...
    libra89 and Laura Knotek like this.
    07-26-2017 06:20 PM
    So I was successfully able to flash some updated software on the V20. Now I'm up to the Dec 2016 security patch. Lol.

From what I've read, in LG's quest to copy Samsung, they may have taken up the bad habit of being slow to update their unlocked US models. When I was on the international G4, the updates were fast and furious. Looks like Verizon's V20 is on the latest security patch and the other carriers aren't far behind. At least that's improved, it seems. And at least the US unlocked G6 is now on the June 2017 patch.

My Z3 Tablet Compact is forever stuck on 6.0.1 and my Mi Note 2's on 6.0.1 too. Yes, MIUI 9 + 7.0 was announced today. And yes, the Mi Note 2 is in one of the earlier groups to get the update. But with 8.0 likely under two months away...not going to see that here for a while.

Now, what about Apple? What about them, really? While they offer better hardware support in terms of all devices getting the latest update, they're not different than Android in some ways when their latest updates always run best with their newest hardware. You get a point of diminshed returns and I'd rather have slightly older but stable software on older hardware than newer laggy **** on older hardware.

So all I can do is wait... it's not like I'm going to pull out my 950XL for uber software updates...
    Sweet! I'm glad that you were able to update it. Have you noticed any differences or is it too early to say?

I agree with you on the Apple point. I have chosen not to update my SE to iOS 10. It will run decently of course but I value battery life and some things in iOS 10 are not scaled well to the SE apparently. I will when my hand is forced but for now, it's fine.

Yep, all you can do is wait really. At least your Mi Note 2 is in the pipeline.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    07-26-2017 06:34 PM
    Sweet! I'm glad that you were able to update it. Have you noticed any differences or is it too early to say?

I agree with you on the Apple point. I have chosen not to update my SE to iOS 10. It will run decently of course but I value battery life and some things in iOS 10 are not scaled well to the SE apparently. I will when my hand is forced but for now, it's fine.

Yep, all you can do is wait really. At least your Mi Note 2 is in the pipeline.
    I'll do a test drive tomorrow and will see how battery life and camera performance has changed.
    07-26-2017 07:12 PM
    I'll do a test drive tomorrow and will see how battery life and camera performance has changed.
    I'll be looking forward to it.
    07-26-2017 08:46 PM
    Found my old iPod syncing cable after I already ordered another one (AmazonBasics though, so pretty inexpensive anyway). It's mostly filled up (the iPod, not the cable) and I'm thinking of deleting music that I'm over. At the same time, I'm wondering how if I should just transfer all of the physical music I own to it and just consider it to be my physical library of music. I might do that since I don't buy physical music anymore.
    07-26-2017 09:24 PM
    I'll be looking forward to it.
    I think while it'll be ok, I may have to just accept great standby time but actual poor run time on the battery front.
    libra89 likes this.
    07-26-2017 09:30 PM
    It's good to know we have interest in our house. :)

I can't remember if I mentioned we're selling our house... It's up on the real estate sites already. We're having an open house on the 5th.

This is going to be interesting. Selling and buying at the same time, plus moving to another country. Should be fun!

Oh, maybe I should also mention that I'm looking at the possibility of getting a job in Paris, sort of depends on how much the renovation cost is and how much we get for our house.

Yes that's a real possibility if you're wondering.
    MSFTisMIA, libra89, raycpl and 3 others like this.
    07-27-2017 07:41 AM
    It's good to know we have interest in our house. :)

I can't remember if I mentioned we're selling our house... It's up on the real estate sites already. We're having an open house on the 5th.

This is going to be interesting. Selling and buying at the same time, plus moving to another country. Should be fun!

Oh, maybe I should also mention that I'm looking at the possibility of getting a job in Paris, sort of depends on how much the renovation cost is and how much we get for our house.

Yes that's a real possibility if you're wondering.
    Good luck (on selling, the open house and the job situation)! Yeah, you'll never forget this experience, that's for sure.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    07-27-2017 10:37 AM
    I think I might have decided on a town/general area to live in that should work for schooling and not too far from work either. I just need to reach out and inquire with what I see in the area. It also looks like I'll be with roommates.

I'm debating if it makes sense for me to move next month or if I should wait until I submit that grad/library school application first and it closes. I could always come back for my mail but at the same time, I don't want any possible issues. I would still be in state but I don't know.
    fatclue_98 likes this.
    07-27-2017 10:43 AM
    Good luck (on selling, the open house and the job situation)! Yeah, you'll never forget this experience, that's for sure.
    Yes, this is definitely a new experience. I'll probably remember the good bits I hope! lol

Probably my most memorable experience is moving to Australia. Never been there before so had no clue what it was going to be like. The long journey to get there (way over 30 hours), the breakdown of the plane on Fiji island. The falling asleep while out that night... lol!

Prior to moving to the UK I had visited before twice. I know it's not the same as living here but I at least knew what the UK was like. Same goes for France and Finland.

Though I never really considered Paris a place I wanted to live I always like it though, regardless of the current issues it's had.
    07-27-2017 10:48 AM
    Yes, this is definitely a new experience. I'll probably remember the good bits I hope! lol

Probably my most memorable experience is moving to Australia. Never been there before so had no clue what it was going to be like. The long journey to get there (way over 30 hours), the breakdown of the plane on Fiji island. The falling asleep while out that night... lol!

Prior to moving to the UK I had visited before twice. I know it's not the same as living here but I at least knew what the UK was like. Same goes for France and Finland.

Though I never really considered Paris a place I wanted to live I always like it though, regardless of the current issues it's had.
    Wow. That's crazy that the plane broke down and then you went out after that, that's funny!

Ah okay, I see. Did you ever imagine that you would live in France someday down the line?
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    07-27-2017 10:53 AM
    So far, battery life is not that much different from the pre production software.
    07-27-2017 01:01 PM
    So far, battery life is not that much different from the pre production software.
    That's a bummer :(
    fatclue_98 and Laura Knotek like this.
    07-27-2017 01:14 PM
    I took a massive L today. Lessons will be learned, for sure. It still stings like hell, though...
    fatclue_98 likes this.
    07-27-2017 01:31 PM
    I took a massive L today. Lessons will be learned, for sure. It still stings like hell, though...
    Ouch, that sucks. Good on you for taking it as a way to learn something. I hope it works out for you.
    fatclue_98 likes this.
    07-27-2017 01:44 PM
    Damn.
    Hope you recover from it soon!
    fatclue_98 likes this.
    07-27-2017 01:44 PM
    Ah, going to see a place and after scheduling an appointment, I'm having second thoughts. It's not the place itself but the rules. Well, I'll find out how this works out later.
    07-27-2017 01:46 PM
    Ouch, that sucks. Good on you for taking it as a way to learn something. I hope it works out for you.
    I made the mistake and it cost me time and money. Just have to own in and deal with the fallout. Cannot cry too much over it now.
    fatclue_98 likes this.
    07-27-2017 01:53 PM
    Howdy all. Well I'm in my new house now and its starting to become more of a home. We've still got lots of boxes but at least they're mostly in one room now!
    07-27-2017 02:09 PM
    Damn.
    Hope you recover from it soon!
    I won't right now; It'll take me two months at the shortest. It was a very, very expensive mistake on my part.
    fatclue_98 likes this.
    07-27-2017 02:25 PM
    That's a bummer :(
    Didn't expect any miracles, to be honest. It's a spare battery life indeed.
    fatclue_98 likes this.
    07-27-2017 02:26 PM
    It's gonna happen bud. Only the '72 Dolphins went without an L.

Sent from my Acer Liquid Jade Primo onmTalk
    07-27-2017 02:59 PM
    It's gonna happen bud. Only the '72 Dolphins went without an L.

Sent from my Acer Liquid Jade Primo onmTalk
    Well, my mistake cost me a few thousand dollars. I need to go drink this 22oz Bud and redo my plans in light of this calamity.

Enjoy your weekend, folks.
    07-27-2017 04:02 PM
    Well, my mistake cost me a few thousand dollars. I need to go drink this 22oz Bud and redo my plans in light of this calamity.

Enjoy your weekend, folks.
    It sounds like you need something better than just Budweiser. Go get something stronger like a Stout!
    07-27-2017 04:57 PM
    It sounds like you need something better than just Budweiser. Go get something stronger like a Stout!
    Bacardi 151 sounds more reasonable.
    TgeekB and Laura Knotek like this.
    07-27-2017 05:49 PM
143,652 ... 54505451545254535454 ...