• 00Days
  • 00Hours
  • 00Mins
  • 00Secs
Check out the best deals!
    Actually, I understood. I just chose to ignore a good chunk of that argument because it would appear MSFT is switching to a nich status as Apple did out of necessity back in the days.

For me, MSFT with their dismantling of Nokia and the gap between the 930 and 950 lines proved they conceded Mobile in its current form. While it is prudent to try to figure out the next convergence of tech that causes that breakthrough similar to smartphones, I don't think we may find it for a while as it has to be something with the potential to be as ubiquitous as a computer or a mobile phone. I think AR and IoT are a good place to start, but access to the internet isn't yet a truly universal thing as access to food, water, shelter, clothing and education are.

What MSFT also has to do is to not sacrifice current money making venture at the expense of chasing the future. Shareholders will not be pleased.
    I agree MS is switching to niche status but the way people go on about it here they appear to think that they're going to be developing the future... because of x, y and z. Maybe they are, but until that happens it's impossible to know.

I also agree about the issues with internet and mobile connectivity in general. Even in my small house I have issues getting my wifi signal to the second floor and to my kitchen from the front of the house. I'd love a mesh network but I can't be bothered paying the money at this point in time. They're way too expensive for what they are in my opinion.

Internet connectivity in the UK is pathetic to be honest and this used to be the 5th largest western economy and a tiny island to boot!

Personally I think MS will keep doing what they're doing because it is making them money. They'll do 'something' with mobile but whether it's a game changer is a question mark. I don't think anything they do will have mass appeal and I think even enterprise will be cautious. Well they should be.
    08-08-2017 09:24 AM
    I agree MS is switching to niche status but the way people go on about it here they appear to think that they're going to be developing the future... because of x, y and z. Maybe they are, but until that happens it's impossible to know.

I also agree about the issues with internet and mobile connectivity in general. Even in my small house I have issues getting my wifi signal to the second floor and to my kitchen from the front of the house. I'd love a mesh network but I can't be bothered paying the money at this point in time. They're way too expensive for what they are in my opinion.

Internet connectivity in the UK is pathetic to be honest and this used to be the 5th largest western economy and a tiny island to boot!

Personally I think MS will keep doing what they're doing because it is making them money. They'll do 'something' with mobile but whether it's a game changer is a question mark. I don't think anything they do will have mass appeal and I think even enterprise will be cautious. Well they should be.
    I don't read the articles here anymore, honestly. I barely read the articles on Android Central either.

I post in the forums and that's it. There have been changes in both places I'm not feeling so I stick with the forums. It's not to bash anyone, but with all change, not everyone will like or agree with it. The flavor of both places are different now, that's all.

And I have no qualms in stating that.
    N_LaRUE and Laura Knotek like this.
    08-08-2017 09:29 AM

As for MSFT, they'll keep doing what they're doing. I just think that as an enthusiast of a certain persuasion, MSFT was done with mobile the moment they bought Nokia and got to look behind the curtain and didn't like what they saw.

Just another good idea thrown on the pile of good ideas that died on the road to technological "progress".
    N_LaRUE and libra89 like this.
    08-08-2017 09:31 AM
    A refurbished Pixel being on sale again is tempting but I'll be good.

On a phone related note, I'm starting to wonder if something is up with dual sim phones or my network. We have had two emergency alerts (one was weather related and the other was an AMBER alert) and I didn't get either one. That's kind of scary to me to not get those considering that I used to get them before changing phones. I don't know if this has to do with me using a phone that wasn't made for my country, or if it's a dual sim thing, or if I was somehow unenrolled from it?

Does anyone in America have this experience with either dual sim or international phones? Going to dig to see what I can find.

Edit: I looked it up and this is down to the phone. This phone does not support emergency alerts so there's no way I can get them. Thankfully I have a weather app that gives me weather alerts but I really never thought about this before. The more you know...
    Last edited by libra89; 08-08-2017 at 03:00 PM.
    08-08-2017 02:05 PM
    The other bit is a better battery in general and probably doing something about the radios, though that is a tough one.
    Simple, let's get past this crazy infatuation with Twiggy-sized phones. Personally, I think it's ridiculous to put an iPhone (or similar) in an Otterbox and make it close to 3/4" thick. In the same vein, putting on a Mophie to get better battery life is equally ridiculous. Obviously people don't have an issue with thick phones so why not make them sturdy and with beefy batteries? I'm sure the added girth helps engineers redesign the antennae to provide improved RF.
    08-08-2017 06:31 PM
    Simple, let's get past this crazy infatuation with Twiggy-sized phones. Personally, I think it's ridiculous to put an iPhone (or similar) in an Otterbox and make it close to 3/4" thick. In the same vein, putting on a Mophie to get better battery life is equally ridiculous. Obviously people don't have an issue with thick phones so why not make them sturdy and with beefy batteries? I'm sure the added girth helps engineers redesign the antennae to provide improved RF.
    "But if you do that, how would we make money off accessories?" - Motorola
    N_LaRUE and fatclue_98 like this.
    08-08-2017 06:57 PM
    08-08-2017 07:22 PM
    Wow such a cool shot! Thanks for tagging the phone, I was curious about that.
    MSFTisMIA likes this.
    08-08-2017 08:03 PM
    Aww man, there's an iOS jailbreak for my iOS version but my SE isn't compatible with it
    08-08-2017 08:46 PM
    Wow such a cool shot! Thanks for tagging the phone, I was curious about that.
    That's how it'll look going forward...tagged with the platform and phone.
    libra89 likes this.
    08-08-2017 09:12 PM
    So... i read some of that Google memo... I had the whole thing to read but I stopped fully reading it when all the false information started to come up.

I'm not sure where he gets his data from but a lot of what he said was completely wrong and more a point of view rather than anything based on 'science' as he put it. Yeah I can write a memo as well and say 'science says' but not back it up too.

MIA, I'd be curious what your take on it is.

From a person who works for a very large company, there is no democracy in a workplace. You do not have freedom of speech at a workplace. If you're going to send out something like that, your expectations are that you're going to get fired. So it's quite obvious that this guy wanted to go out in a blaze of glory and stoke controversy. That's my take anyway.
    libra89 and Laura Knotek like this.
    08-09-2017 02:20 AM
    So... i read some of that Google memo... I had the whole thing to read but I stopped fully reading it when all the false information started to come up.

I'm not sure where he gets his data from but a lot of what he said was completely wrong and more a point of view rather than anything based on 'science' as he put it. Yeah I can write a memo as well and say 'science says' but not back it up too.

MIA, I'd be curious what your take on it is.

From a person who works for a very large company, there is no democracy in a workplace. You do not have freedom of speech at a workplace. If you're going to send out something like that, your expectations are that you're going to get fired. So it's quite obvious that this guy wanted to go out in a blaze of glory and stoke controversy. That's my take anyway.
    I haven't really read the memo. Truth be told, the fact that there are companies that offered this dude jobs were trying to take advantage of the controversy. On a feminist level, it's more of the same that women and women who are minorities experience in S.T.E.M. careers.
    08-09-2017 07:24 AM
    I haven't really read the memo. Truth be told, the fact that there are companies that offered this dude jobs were trying to take advantage of the controversy. On a feminist level, it's more of the same that women and women who are minorities experience in S.T.E.M. careers.
    I was hoping you had. Oh well.

Yeah any company offering this guy a job obviously doesn't care about the things he's talking about and wouldn't be a company I'd want to work for. I guess it's good for him...?

The main thing I have issues with this memo are the fact he's blathering on about science and then tries to back peddle a bit here an there saying that he might be biased, but then comes along and says, but science says this so therefore it's right.

Truth is, when it comes to brains (and sex differences), the science is still out on what the small differences between a man's and women's brain mean, if anything. Gender is a cultural idea so too is the role models we play in society.

Sure there are physical differences between men and women, very obvious differences but once you get below the surface, not so much.

He thinks he has a point, truth is he doesn't really. He seems to believe that women's role in IT or engineering shouldn't be code but something else. It's a bit sad that where still here in 2017. I do wonder when we as humans will evolve. Probably not until our AI masters take over...
    08-09-2017 07:57 AM
    I was hoping you had. Oh well.

Yeah any company offering this guy a job obviously doesn't care about the things he's talking about and wouldn't be a company I'd want to work for. I guess it's good for him...?

The main thing I have issues with this memo are the fact he's blathering on about science and then tries to back peddle a bit here an there saying that he might be biased, but then comes along and says, but science says this so therefore it's right.

Truth is, when it comes to brains (and sex differences), the science is still out on what the small differences between a man's and women's brain mean, if anything. Gender is a cultural idea so too is the role models we play in society.

Sure there are physical differences between men and women, very obvious differences but once you get below the surface, not so much.

He thinks he has a point, truth is he doesn't really. He seems to believe that women's role in IT or engineering shouldn't be code but something else. It's a bit sad that where still here in 2017. I do wonder when we as humans will evolve. Probably not until our AI masters take over...
    I'm just going to give him the same dismissive treatment he has likely given women with his argument by not reading his argument and stating he's merely blowing more discriminatory smoke.

I had a feeling he was making those sorts of claims when I first saw the story break. So I decided to skip it on purpose, honestly. I'd rather spend the time talking about this instead:

08-09-2017 08:02 AM
    Have I mentioned that the weather here has been pretty crap for the last month or so? There hasn't been much of a summer.

With that in mind, I think I'll go on vacation. I'm in need of some sun. :)

I'll post pictures when I can.
    MSFTisMIA and libra89 like this.
    08-09-2017 09:08 AM
    Have I mentioned that the weather here has been pretty crap for the last month or so? There hasn't been much of a summer.

With that in mind, I think I'll go on vacation. I'm in need of some sun. :)

I'll post pictures when I can.
    Sounds like a good idea. Vacations are usually helpful.
    08-09-2017 09:56 AM
    Sounds like a good idea. Vacations are usually helpful.
    5 days/4 nights. :) A little break.
    08-09-2017 10:00 AM
    Enjoy!
    08-09-2017 10:05 AM
    Enjoy yourself. I need one and am a very long way off from getting it.
    08-09-2017 10:20 AM
    Enjoy!
    Will do. :)
    MSFTisMIA and libra89 like this.
    08-09-2017 10:26 AM
    Enjoy yourself. I need one and am a very long way off from getting it.
    That and relax a little bit. Where we're going there isn't much to do so it's a bit of a relax/wander kind of thing. The most annoying part will be the other tourists! Especially from the cruise ships...

If you're wondering, we're off to Santorini. It's our 10th wedding anniversary. :) Decided to do something special.
    08-09-2017 10:28 AM
    That and relax a little bit. Where we're going there isn't much to do so it's a bit of a relax/wander kind of thing. The most annoying part will be the other tourists! Especially from the cruise ships...

If you're wondering, we're off to Santorini. It's our 10th wedding anniversary. :) Decided to do something special.
    Smooth moves. Happy anniversary when it comes.
    N_LaRUE likes this.
    08-09-2017 10:31 AM
    Smooth moves. Happy anniversary when it comes.
    Three days. :)
    libra89 and MSFTisMIA like this.
    08-09-2017 10:35 AM

I feel like this came fast! That's awesome. Yay that it's so close. \o/
    N_LaRUE likes this.
    08-09-2017 07:29 PM
    Just a couple of pics from the hotel we're staying at.

08-10-2017 12:34 PM
143,620 ... 54605461546254635464 ...