My dad reached his 91st before passing on. My grandparents all reached their 70s/80s. I guess the people born of their generations lived through cleaner environment.

My mum's tough old soul. About 12 years ago she had a bad fall, broke her hip bones. Had a couple of minor heart attack during her post-surgery recovery. She was in pretty bad shape but did manage to recover through it all. Now she really, physically strong and spritely for her age, with her mental faculties intact. It's a blessing.

... !
    Wow! Except for my dad, God rest his beautiful soul, I'm the only male in my immediate family (cousins included) that made it past 50. My only brother and 4 cousins all kicked it in their 40s and only 1 (a cousin) wasn't because of heart disease. I almost joined them at 46 with a heart attack of my own.

My life motto ever since has become "I'm here for a good time not a long time". I took a huge pay cut earlier this year to work fewer days and fewer hours to spend more time with my wife and daughter. I still put in about 55 hours per week but compared to 72 I feel lazy.

Sent from my Acer Liquid Jade Primo on mTalk
    08-14-2017 09:36 PM
    Wow! Except for my dad, God rest his beautiful soul, I'm the only male in my immediate family (cousins included) that made it past 50. My only brother and 4 cousins all kicked it in their 40s and only 1 (a cousin) wasn't because of heart disease. I almost joined them at 46 with a heart attack of my own.

My life motto ever since has become "I'm here for a good time not a long time". I took a huge pay cut earlier this year to work fewer days and fewer hours to spend more time with my wife and daughter. I still put in about 55 hours per week but compared to 72 I feel lazy.

Good for you! Family is much more valuable than work. 😊 You've got the right priorities. 👍
    libra89 and fatclue_98 like this.
    08-14-2017 09:47 PM

As you obviously already know, you made the right choice. Seriously good on you.
    Laura Knotek and fatclue_98 like this.
    08-14-2017 10:01 PM
    My dad reached his 91st before passing on. My grandparents all reached their 70s/80s. I guess the people born of their generations lived through cleaner environment.

My mum's tough old soul. About 12 years ago she had a bad fall, broke her hip bones. Had a couple of minor heart attack during her post-surgery recovery. She was in pretty bad shape but did manage to recover through it all. Now she really, physically strong and spritely for her age, with her mental faculties intact. It's a blessing.

... !
    That's great to hear!

My great grandmother was a WWI bride. My great grandfather was Canadian and they got married in the UK while he was here on duty there then moved to Canada.

If she didn't have the several strokes she had she would have been a lot more healthy.
    08-14-2017 11:24 PM

I think working more than 40 is unhealthy but I understand everyone is different.

That's crazy that so many in your family died so young. I only had one relative that I know of that died young (in their 40s) due to cancer.
    08-14-2017 11:27 PM
    I'm guessing you enjoyed your anniversary vacation? Just think of the great time you had :)
    It was the most relaxing time I've had in some time. I think if we had made it shorter it wouldn't have felt that way.
    Laura Knotek and libra89 like this.
    08-14-2017 11:29 PM
    I think working more than 40 is unhealthy but I understand everyone is different.

That's crazy that so many in your family died so young. I only had one relative that I know of that died young (in their 40s) due to cancer.
    It's always good to have thorough regular medical check ups.... and know the medical history of your family... At least the knowledge from that offer preparation and guidance.

... !
    Laura Knotek, N_LaRUE and libra89 like this.
    08-15-2017 02:08 AM
    Today is our independence day. Had a great immense feel to succeed further more.
    N_LaRUE and Laura Knotek like this.
    08-15-2017 05:47 AM
    It was the most relaxing time I've had in some time. I think if we had made it shorter it wouldn't have felt that way.
    Glad to hear it!
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    08-15-2017 07:15 AM
    Today is our independence day. Had a great immense feel to succeed further more.
    Happy Independence Day to you.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    08-15-2017 07:16 AM
    Glad to hear it!
    All the other holidays I've had this year weren't really holidays. They had a purpose.

So this was nice to just do whatever. :)
    libra89 and Laura Knotek like this.
    08-15-2017 07:48 AM
    It's been a month since I have had the Samsung Galaxy A3 (2017), so it's about that time for me to say what I have noticed since after the first week ended, along with general thoughts. It shouldn't be too long.

The good:
    -The size is still nice.
    -I'm used to the button placement now, for the most part.
    -Battery life still seems to be pretty good. If I use it hard, I would get under a day (like 14-18 hours). This means putting it on the charger at 39%. If I choose to use it until it turns off though, I will meet the day mark for sure, and possibly an extra hour.

The "meh" :
    -7.0 was pushed to the A3 in Russia, so it is a matter of time but don't have it yet.
    -The timer doesn't show on the lock screen at all (even the Clock app is "contents hidden" because of 6.0 all or none for notifications, sigh), and on that note, having to turn off DND mode for the timer to go off is just dumb!
    -Calendar events/reminders show as AOD (Always on Display notifications, the same way that alarms show) and I guess that is good in saving power, but aesthetically, I don't like it. Basically it shows the event, time and date with a snooze option in white on black.

That's it really. While I would prefer a system that shows the calendar event on my lock screen and not having to toggle DND for the timer to go off, I still like this phone a lot. I wouldn't mind hanging out with it until the SE 2 drops early next year (rumors are strong this time on that front). Speaking of the SE, I haven't considered switching to it at all in this month. The thought hasn't even crossed my mind.
    MSFTisMIA and Laura Knotek like this.
    08-15-2017 08:00 AM
    There's an (interesting to me) article on Windows Central's front page about why a middle schooler (11 year old) chose the Surface Laptop as her first computer and some people in the comments are such killjoys. It's interesting how people feel when it comes to money. I get that money is personal because how could it not be? Everyone doesn't play by the same rules.
    08-15-2017 08:17 AM
    There's an (interesting to me) article on Windows Central's front page about why a middle schooler (11 year old) chose the Surface Laptop as her first computer and some people in the comments are such killjoys. It's interesting how people feel when it comes to money. I get that money is personal because how could it not be? Everyone doesn't play by the same rules.
    Typical forum comments. Some people are going to say stuff like that.

If she's happy with it and her parents can afford it, good for them and her. For others a cheaper laptop will suit or even a second hand one. This is the reality of capitalism. Some people prosper while other struggle just to have a PC.
    08-15-2017 08:34 AM
    Typical forum comments. Some people are going to say stuff like that.

If she's happy with it and her parents can afford it, good for them and her. For others a cheaper laptop will suit or even a second hand one. This is the reality of capitalism. Some people prosper while other struggle just to have a PC.
    Little Green Monster rearing its ugly head. We shouldn't have to apologize for being born into a good situation. I'm dying to have a boat again but now is not the time. Doesn't mean I wish my neighbor's would sink because I can't have one today.

08-15-2017 09:29 AM
    Little Green Monster rearing its ugly head. We shouldn't have to apologize for being born into a good situation. I'm dying to have a boat again but now is not the time. Doesn't mean I wish my neighbor's would sink because I can't have one today.

I goes with the mentality that the young don't like to work hard for anything and their parents do everything for them. The 'keeping up with the Jones' or the 'spoiled child' syndrome.

Of course that's one way of viewing it.

The other view is does a 11 year old middle school child need a Surface laptop or Macbook? I can't answer that question as I don't have kids and I have no idea of their school's requirements.

Lastly, of course, is if a child can get by with a less expensive laptop why buy something that expensive?

I have no qualms about what people want to buy their kids. I'm not involved, thankfully, with that whole mess, but I always wonder what the driver is behind it.
    08-15-2017 09:42 AM
    I goes with the mentality that the young don't like to work hard for anything and their parents do everything for them. The 'keeping up with the Jones' or the 'spoiled child' syndrome.

Of course that's one way of viewing it.

The other view is does a 11 year old middle school child need a Surface laptop or Macbook? I can't answer that question as I don't have kids and I have no idea of their school's requirements.

Lastly, of course, is if a child can get by with a less expensive laptop why buy something that expensive?

I have no qualms about what people want to buy their kids. I'm not involved, thankfully, with that whole mess, but I always wonder what the driver is behind it.
    Unfortunately I'm not in the position to say what kids need for school since I graduated in '81 and PCs barely existed. I do believe in buying the best possible anything to avoid double spending. I have hand tools older than many of our readers and it's no accident they're still good. There are those who do indeed spoil their children but I'm not going to judge. Perhaps their upbringing was so poor that they want to give their kids the best of everything without realizing they might not get the desired results. Or maybe it's just society in general that makes you feel like you're second class for not being able to keep up with the Joneses.

N_LaRUE, Laura Knotek and libra89 like this.
    08-15-2017 10:35 AM
    Or maybe it's just society in general that makes you feel like you're second class for not being able to keep up with the Joneses.

I'll to go with this. I recall my nephew when he was in high school he got picked on for not having whatever was in fashion at the time. I assume the same still goes on today.

Brands/celebrities have a lot to answer for.

I will say this however, in most cases, a decent laptop will usually last about 3-5 years if looked after. There really is no 'future' proofing with PCs or any electronic device. That's why to me, spending top dollar is a bit ridiculous. But that's me.

You're only a short amount of time before me and we were just getting PCs in but they were far from mainstream.
    08-15-2017 10:46 AM
    So, did I mention I'm looking for a job? It's a painful process. I'm not sure if I'm going to run into the same issue I had getting a job in the UK, which was having to move here first. It's possible I suppose. Here I thought it would be easier.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    08-15-2017 04:35 PM
    Also at my current job they're doing the yearly reviews. I'm so not interested. I really could care less if I get a 1% or less pay rise... If they even bother that is, it's been more than two years and my company could care less. Engineers are a dime a dozen currently so they're not motivated, neither am I.

I guess we'll compromise and I'll tell them what I think, in polite terms of course.
    Laura Knotek and MSFTisMIA like this.
    08-15-2017 04:38 PM
    I will say this however, in most cases, a decent laptop will usually last about 3-5 years if looked after. There really is no 'future' proofing with PCs or any electronic device. That's why to me, spending top dollar is a bit ridiculous. But that's me.
    Quite ridiculous. I believe in buying the best, not necessarily the most expensive. Would you buy a Vertu phone? No doubt they're probably the most expensive but it's still a flip phone at the end of the day. No wonder they went belly up, they couldn't find enough suckers er, customers.
    libra89, Laura Knotek and N_LaRUE like this.
    08-15-2017 04:39 PM
    So, did I mention I'm looking for a job? It's a painful process. I'm not sure if I'm going to run into the same issue I had getting a job in the UK, which was having to move here first. It's possible I suppose. Here I thought it would be easier.
    I wish you good luck with this process, and I can only imagine what you are going through with this.
    08-15-2017 06:34 PM
    Good luck! How difficult is it to find a job in another country without speaking its language?
    libra89, fatclue_98 and N_LaRUE like this.
    08-15-2017 08:42 PM
    Good luck. I know how that feels.
    08-15-2017 08:47 PM
    I got the Speck case for my V20 today. I like it, since it's clear, so I can show off the silver. It isn't hard to put on or take off, so I know it won't be an issue once I get my 2nd battery and swap batteries on the V20.
    fatclue_98, MSFTisMIA and libra89 like this.
    08-15-2017 10:13 PM
143,632 ... 54655466546754685469 ...