Here's another... before I shut off the phone for the landing safety procedures
    (just curious, in your country/region you still have to switch off your phones when the plane wants to land?)

https://i.imgur.com/Po5unUH.jpg

Wanted to post (using mTalk) a shot in portrait mode.. But the pict comes out garbled.
    Wonder if it's just mTalk problem.

... !
    It's mTalk. I've had the same issues.

Sent from my HP Elite x3 on mTalk
    Laura Knotek, libra89 and raycpl like this.
    09-16-2017 12:15 PM
    I spotted this outside a local coffeehouse.
    09-16-2017 02:33 PM
    Here's another... before I shut off the phone for the landing safety procedures
    (just curious, in your country/region you still have to switch off your phones when the plane wants to land?)

https://i.imgur.com/Po5unUH.jpg

Wanted to post (using mTalk) a shot in portrait mode.. But the pict comes out garbled.
    Wonder if it's just mTalk problem.

... !
    Wow that's a beautiful shot!
    Laura Knotek and raycpl like this.
    09-16-2017 04:25 PM
    Thanks for sharing. It's one of the reasons why I ended up doing this post.

https://rumbaradvice.wordpress.com/2...ame-the-youth/

There's a lot he said I still question. But a truth I agreed with and what this guy hinted to was that some of the older generation didn't do millennials much favors with how they were raised. But, it still is now up to millennials to find their way in the world.
    Ooh okay, that makes sense. I remember reading it but I can't recall my reaction. I'll have to reread it again now in this context.
    09-16-2017 04:28 PM
    I spotted this outside a local coffeehouse.
    https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...985e870176.jpg
    Wow you are seeing some cool cars lately! Nice shot by the way!
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    09-16-2017 04:29 PM
    Wow you are seeing some cool cars lately! Nice shot by the way!
    Thanks! I'm not going where it's obvious one would find them, such as car shows. I just randomly stumbled upon them.
    libra89 likes this.
    09-16-2017 04:51 PM
    Ooh okay, that makes sense. I remember reading it but I can't recall my reaction. I'll have to reread it again now in this context.
    Sounds good. Now I'm even more curious about your thoughts.

I took the stance of what has happening with the older folks while rearing millennials when I wrote this. It was always something that bothered me...this seemingly disconnected attitude and over correction of some things. Makes me wonder at times if I have the chops to raise kids in a world filled with so much things I don't always agree with...
    libra89 and N_LaRUE like this.
    09-16-2017 09:37 PM
    Using the 950XL is one of the most beautifully frustrating experiences I have.

Beautiful for the look and feel of the OS; frustrating for how if you stay outside the basics, the experience falls flat quickly.
    There have been times where I decided I just want to go to the XL just to unplug a little bit from Android...and then I remember how bad the battery life is due to that 810 chip and it's just frustration.
    libra89 likes this.
    09-16-2017 09:42 PM
    Sounds good. Now I'm even more curious about your thoughts.

I took the stance of what has happening with the older folks while rearing millennials when I wrote this. It was always something that bothered me...this seemingly disconnected attitude and over correction of some things. Makes me wonder at times if I have the chops to raise kids in a world filled with so much things I don't always agree with...
    Yeah that sounds like a heavy thing to consider.

Okay, I reread it and I can see the connection between what the guy said and what you said. I do agree with several of your points, including the rose-colored glasses view of the good old days and general moaning about how millennials do things without showing or at least telling us (when I say us, I mean myself and people slightly older, along with those 10 years younger...who are now full blown adults, ah I feel old after typing that).

You're really on the money about treating them like people. In fact, it really annoys me when someone decides not to do that just because of how someone appears to be. I do think that should be a basic thing to do at the minimum.

I can't help but wonder what are some of the things you meant about millennial culture that you aren't a fan of.
    MSFTisMIA likes this.
    09-16-2017 10:05 PM
    Went to the Santa Monica beach today. Gorgeous weather.
    libra89, raycpl, N_LaRUE and 1 others like this.
    09-16-2017 10:15 PM
    I was thinking recently of trying my 950XL for a week. Maybe I should do that now with all the hubbub about Bluetooth exploit...

...nah, I'll save for Thanksgiving week instead. I'll just use my watch and phone unpaired.

That sucks though. It really does. And it highlights the idea that I don't like in Android. I should be able to have a phone with better software updates other than Google or TCL's Blackberry (and Sony for their newer devices).

I don't care as much about software updates as I do security ones. If, say LG, said we'll do monthly security updates but quarterly software upgrades, I'd be down for that.
    libra89 likes this.
    09-17-2017 11:21 AM
    I was thinking recently of trying my 950XL for a week. Maybe I should do that now with all the hubbub about Bluetooth exploit...

...nah, I'll save for Thanksgiving week instead. I'll just use my watch and phone unpaired.

That sucks though. It really does. And it highlights the idea that I don't like in Android. I should be able to have a phone with better software updates other than Google or TCL's Blackberry (and Sony for their newer devices).

I don't care as much about software updates as I do security ones. If, say LG, said we'll do monthly security updates but quarterly software upgrades, I'd be down for that.
    I think Moto was trying to do the monthly security updates and quarterly software updates. But with their proclivity to abandon newer phones, coupled with their so-so camera performance, I'm staying away from their phones (even though hardware wise, I'd try a Z or X4).
    libra89 and Laura Knotek like this.
    09-17-2017 11:46 AM
    I think it's important how situations can impact phone usage.

For instance, due to the new job, I'm not on my personal phone a lot. I'm more inclined to use the iPhone more for one reason - responding to work emails. I use my V20 now briefly during breaks, but mostly during my commute for audio. At home, I use my Z3 tablet compact a ton. I've noticed even during the last few years I'm not on my phone as much as I used to be. It's kinda why I always liked WP, it had that glance and go mentality and design to the UX.

I'd like to upgrade the V20 from a camera and audio POV. But, I have to make sure that these are features I really plan to use to get the best of the purchase.

The Bluetooth​ issue really annoys me because it affects the reason why I'm using a smartwatch - to reduce my need to be on the phone a lot by triaging important content at a glance. With Google not really doing security updates for wear 1.5, it puts me in a awkward position of thinking about upgrading to software I don't like in order to get the best in a secure manner.

Lots to think about.
    09-17-2017 11:55 AM
    Yeah that sounds like a heavy thing to consider.

Okay, I reread it and I can see the connection between what the guy said and what you said. I do agree with several of your points, including the rose-colored glasses view of the good old days and general moaning about how millennials do things without showing or at least telling us (when I say us, I mean myself and people slightly older, along with those 10 years younger...who are now full blown adults, ah I feel old after typing that).

You're really on the money about treating them like people. In fact, it really annoys me when someone decides not to do that just because of how someone appears to be. I do think that should be a basic thing to do at the minimum.

I can't help but wonder what are some of the things you meant about millennial culture that you aren't a fan of.
    Namely the sense of entitlement and lack of patience due to the pervasive instant gratification perspective.

Other than that, I like millennials.
    09-17-2017 12:17 PM
    Namely the sense of entitlement and lack of patience due to the pervasive instant gratification perspective.

Other than that, I like millennials.
    I don't think it's so much the entitlement aspect as the lack of ownership. It's always someone else's fault. We as parents have failed our kids because we wanted to give our kids everything we didn't have as kids. In doing so we forgot to teach our kids that everything comes with a price tag. Those iPhones don't fall off trees, mommy and daddy have to bust their tails off and put up with a ton of excrement for these things to happen.

This is not a blanket indictment of all Millennials, just a generalization. There are some some kickass old-school parents who handle their business.

Sent from my Acer Liquid Jade Primo on mTalk
    09-17-2017 12:46 PM
    I don't think it's so much the entitlement aspect as the lack of ownership. It's always someone else's fault. We as parents have failed our kids because we wanted to give our kids everything we didn't have as kids. In doing so we forgot to teach our kids that everything comes with a price tag. Those iPhones don't fall off trees, mommy and daddy have to bust their tails off and put up with a ton of excrement for these things to happen.

This is not a blanket indictment of all Millennials, just a generalization. There are some some kickass old-school parents who handle their business.

It's entitlement based on a lack of ownership. It's what the dude was saying where when you give out medals for participating and coming in last, you're not owning your performance. You can come in last for different reasons, but you own your performance and use the failures to work harder at getting better.

We had to earn the most important things we used over time - house, cars, luxury items. Some millennials because of having easier access to those resources as their floors may lack that appreciation and work ethic for things.
    fatclue_98 and Laura Knotek like this.
    09-17-2017 01:00 PM
    Being thoughtful is frustrating at times...
    09-17-2017 01:08 PM
    Being thoughtful is frustrating at times...
    Oh don't get me started......

Laura Knotek and MSFTisMIA like this.
    09-17-2017 01:09 PM
    It's entitlement based on a lack of ownership. It's what the dude was saying where when you give out medals for participating and coming in last, you're not owning your performance. You can come in last for different reasons, but you own your performance and use the failures to work harder at getting better.

We had to earn the most important things we used over time - house, cars, luxury items. Some millennials because of having easier access to those resources as their floors may lack that appreciation and work ethic for things.
    But the point is it's not their fault, it's ours, and technology, and other factors that groomed them this way. We had to learn a different way. We didn't have Google, we had the card catalog at the library. We need to, in organizations and elsewhere, help them learn about working for things over time, etc. Your point about ownership is a good one, and a lesson that will give them important tools going forward.
    Laura Knotek and libra89 like this.
    09-17-2017 01:11 PM

Agree.
    Laura Knotek and libra89 like this.
    09-17-2017 01:11 PM
    Oh don't get me started......

Yup. It's rough at times.
    09-17-2017 01:18 PM
    But the point is it's not their fault, it's ours, and technology, and other factors that groomed them this way. We had to learn a different way. We didn't have Google, we had the card catalog at the library. We need to, in organizations and elsewhere, help them learn about working for things over time, etc. Your point about ownership is a good one, and a lesson that will give them important tools going forward.
    Well, it's past trying to figure out and confirm whose fault it was. I stated in my blog post that some of the older people (especially in minorities of color) we're unavailable to parent for a variety of reasons.

My work with millennials tells me that they are thoughtful, passionate and still value mentorship. But if you don't know how to treat them with respect and speak their language, you won't get far.
    09-17-2017 01:21 PM
    Well, it's past trying to figure out and confirm whose fault it was. I stated in my blog post that some of the older people (especially in minorities of color) we're unavailable to parent for a variety of reasons.

My work with millennials tells me that they are thoughtful, passionate and still value mentorship. But if you don't know how to treat them with respect and speak their language, you won't get far.
    That's very true. Don't we have to know our employees to engage them though, no matter what generation? We're all different.

You're also correct that not all parents had a fair shake. We have more single parents and wage disparity has widened. It becomes society's challenge to mentor our younger population if we are going to be successful. Not easy but not impossible either.
    09-17-2017 01:29 PM
    That's very true. Don't we have to know our employees to engage them though, no matter what generation? We're all different.

You're also correct that not all parents had a fair shake. We have more single parents and wage disparity has widened. It becomes society's challenge to mentor our younger population if we are going to be successful. Not easy but not impossible either.
    Agreed. But like many things, the US has this contrary/Trump-esque idea on handling certain issues. For example, on the one hand the justice system typically doesn't like to issue adult sentences to juveniles because of the idea that they have their lives ahead of them to change. Yet, we don't cover maternity leave in a paid way to allow parents to have time to rear their kids or offer affordable and easier to access after school programs to keep kids safe.

So don't throw the book at them when they commit crimes, but don't occupy their time with meaningful instructions to keep them away from the streets and other poor influences where trouble lies?

Yup, makes total sense.
    09-17-2017 02:23 PM

Speaking as a minority and 1st generation immigrant I can tell you it's been harder on us. The grief my generation gets from our "old world" parents is maddening. "That's NOT how we raised you and your brother" is a phrase I'd like stricken from recorded history for all time. My response (and my wife's) is always the same - "you'd slash your wrists if you had to deal with this now". I remember George Lopez touching on this topic during one of his specials and it hits close to home as a Latino. He said kids today wouldn't last a day in our time and I agree.
    09-17-2017 02:28 PM
144,738 ... 54965497549854995500 ...