Agreed. But like many things, the US has this contrary/Trump-esque idea on handling certain issues. For example, on the one hand the justice system typically doesn't like to issue adult sentences to juveniles because of the idea that they have their lives ahead of them to change. Yet, we don't cover maternity leave in a paid way to allow parents to have time to rear their kids or offer affordable and easier to access after school programs to keep kids safe.

So don't throw the book at them when they commit crimes, but don't occupy their time with meaningful instructions to keep them away from the streets and other poor influences where trouble lies?

Yup, makes total sense.
    That's because a lot of the people that make those decisions give themselves all the credit for where they are. They don't believe they had any luck or nurturing along the way. They don't believe in community, they believe in "me".
    09-17-2017 02:30 PM
    We have more single parents and wage disparity has widened.
    I have an insane amount of respect for single parents. Add on the epidemic proportion of autistic and other special needs children and the number increases exponentially. The divorce rate among our group is over 84% the last time I checked. It saddens me every year when the school year starts and the parent/teacher conferences kick off that I'm usually the only father present. We got some work to do in this society and some changes need to happen and that right soon.
    TgeekB, MSFTisMIA, libra89 and 1 others like this.
    09-17-2017 02:34 PM
    Speaking as a minority and 1st generation immigrant I can tell you it's been harder on us. The grief my generation gets from our "old world" parents is maddening. "That's NOT how we raised you and your brother" is a phrase I'd like stricken from recorded history for all time. My response (and my wife's) is always the same - "you'd slash your wrists if you had to deal with this now". I remember George Lopez touching on this topic during one of his specials and it hits close to home as a Latino. He said kids today wouldn't last a day in our time and I agree.
    I agree. It is always harder on minorities. Still, the truth is I'm glad I was raised when I was. If I was growning up now I'd be in all sorts of negativity and ultimately a statistic.

Someone has to make the adjust to the changing times. There's just been a breakdown in ownership across the board and it just makes the whole thing toxic.
    09-17-2017 03:03 PM
    That's because a lot of the people that make those decisions give themselves all the credit for where they are. They don't believe they had any luck or nurturing along the way. They don't believe in community, they believe in "me".
    That's because of the like that's been told for eons in American culture where success is solely built on individual effort. The reality is Americans are some of the more communally driven people around. It's just that when they balance that right mix of communal efforts and individual inspiration, extraordinary results occur.

At least, that's my take anyways.
    09-17-2017 03:08 PM
    I have an insane amount of respect for single parents. Add on the epidemic proportion of autistic and other special needs children and the number increases exponentially. The divorce rate among our group is over 84% the last time I checked. It saddens me every year when the school year starts and the parent/teacher conferences kick off that I'm usually the only father present. We got some work to do in this society and some changes need to happen and that right soon.
    It's tough caring for special needs children, and I have great respect for you in doing that.

To me, it's just what values are important...how to weed out the horse manure that the images in the media feed people. Not everyone has that skill or wants to, quite frankly.

For a nation with the highest GDP, we sure have a lot of difficult social problems we don't want to spend money on smartly to fix...
    09-17-2017 03:17 PM
    Gonna do a dirty flash of MIUI 9. Fingers crossed...
    libra89 and Laura Knotek like this.
    09-17-2017 06:59 PM
    Gonna do a dirty flash of MIUI 9. Fingers crossed...
    Good luck! Let us know how it goes.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    09-17-2017 07:03 PM
    Good luck! Let us know how it goes.
    Update was successful. It's MIUI 9 on 7.0 running Aug 2017 security patch. I goofed by not doing the local back up before instead of after the update. It does feel sluggish which means...factory reset is likely needed.
    09-17-2017 07:24 PM
    Update was successful. It's MIUI 9 on 7.0 running Aug 2017 security patch. I goofed by not doing the local back up before instead of after the update. It does feel sluggish which means...factory reset is likely needed.
    That's a bummer about it feeling sluggish but I'm glad to hear that it worked! Yay! I hope the issues that you mentioned having with the Mi Note 2 will be resolved.

Also looking forward to your general impressions with it running 7.0. Will you use it as your daily personal phone?
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    09-17-2017 07:34 PM
    That's a bummer about it feeling sluggish but I'm glad to hear that it worked! Yay! I hope the issues that you mentioned having with the Mi Note 2 will be resolved.

Also looking forward to your general impressions with it running 7.0. Will you use it as your daily personal phone?
    I might, to see if the call bug exists where I cannot use wired headphones. If it works flawlessly, I'll have a tough decision on my hands...
    09-17-2017 07:56 PM
    Sorry to hear you'll need to do a factory reset.
    libra89 likes this.
    09-17-2017 09:30 PM
    Sorry to hear you'll need to do a factory reset.
    Yeah. I don't want to do it, but I may just do so to make things easier and get a better baseline. We'll see how I feel first.

Now that I'm on 7.0, I'm curious to see if the weekly updates will continue.
    09-17-2017 10:32 PM
    So I listened to that video.

Though I'm most definitely not considered a 'millennial' I have had a few discussions with them, my three nephews and two nieces.

I would say that I agree with a large portion of the talk. Though as always there's exceptions to the generalisations presented in it.

The one point I found most interesting is how he felt that companies need to be more invested in helping millennials out. I have to agree with this, well I think companies need to do more for their employees in general but I know most companies have taken on this idea of 'you sort it out' mentality.

I can of course use my own company as 'part of the problem' in this. Well in companies in general are a problem in themselves but that's a whole conversation on it's own but I think what I'll say will probably translate over.

So, I may have mentioned this before, I work for a large EPCM, (Engineering Procurement Construction Management) company. Though 'E' is the first letter, what I can tell you that most companies like mine are doing everything in their power to do more of the other three because there's less risk involved.

My industry has changed a lot in the short time I've been working in it (if you want to call 20 years short). We do a lot of what's called 'offshoring' of our services using 'value centres' for our engineering and some other activities. My job for the most part equates to supervision of value centre employees and checking. I don't really do design or engineering anymore. Main reason of course is 'money'. That's the reason for this. We are pushing engineering to India, China and the Philippines because it's cheaper. While reducing the staff in western offices.

So it's of no surprise that our company is bleeding young staff. We've lost 8 engineering graduates this year so far. Basically one a month. Why? For the most part, because we're not offering engineering as they envisioned. I feel sorry for any young engineer getting stuck on the project I'm on, for example, and yes I use the term 'stuck'. Large projects are horrible for learning anything on. There's a distinct lack of practical experience as well.

My company wants young staff because they're starting to lose senior staff to retirement. However, my industry has been horrible at getting new staff in the first place, years without any investment whatsoever. Then when they get them they offer the poorest experience for anyone. Who wants to graduate as an engineer and push paper around and 'check' other people's work? Not any bright graduate who wants to learn. Keeping in mind how low the amount of students there are interested in engineering as well.

My company talks the talk but in truth they're doing a very poor job of producing new engineers and to be honest the way the industry is going, with EPCM work, I see it moving more and more to the value centres and the other offices being used to drive the project. I think in the near future there will be more of a push to send people to these offshore value centres to supervise. At least that's my assessment. How soon I don't know but it tells you what I think of my industry. Maybe I'm jaded but I personally would tell any young graduate engineer to avoid getting a job at a EPCM regardless how good the pay looks if they want to learn to be a good engineer.

That wasn't always the case, but that's where we are now. I have little doubt that many larger companies that do software and engineering do this sort of thing. It is, to put it simply, brain drain. It's discouraging for anyone, let alone young people who feel that they want to achieve something.

Lastly, not to bash these 'value centres', the simple truth is, anyone who has to supervise from overseas often have a high level of frustration with their job and find it very unsatisfactory. There is not only a cultural difference but there is also a lot of other issues such as staff retention and skill level.

Through my life I've seen how the mentality changed with regards to career and how it went from one idea of stability to this newer idea of 'uncertainty'. Unfortunately, a lot of schools, colleges, universities, do not prepare students for this reality. There is still this belief that you graduate with a 'career' choice and you are 'stuck' with it for life. Which is so not true these days.

Anyway, I've babbled enough.
    09-18-2017 06:09 AM
    So I listened to that video.

Though I'm most definitely not considered a 'millennial' I have had a few discussions with them, my three nephews and two nieces.

I would say that I agree with a large portion of the talk. Though as always there's exceptions to the generalisations presented in it.

The one point I found most interesting is how he felt that companies need to be more invested in helping millennials out. I have to agree with this, well I think companies need to do more for their employees in general but I know most companies have taken on this idea of 'you sort it out' mentality.

I can of course use my own company as 'part of the problem' in this. Well in companies in general are a problem in themselves but that's a whole conversation on it's own but I think what I'll say will probably translate over.

So, I may have mentioned this before, I work for a large EPCM, (Engineering Procurement Construction Management) company. Though 'E' is the first letter, what I can tell you that most companies like mine are doing everything in their power to do more of the other three because there's less risk involved.

My industry has changed a lot in the short time I've been working in it (if you want to call 20 years short). We do a lot of what's called 'offshoring' of our services using 'value centres' for our engineering and some other activities. My job for the most part equates to supervision of value centre employees and checking. I don't really do design or engineering anymore. Main reason of course is 'money'. That's the reason for this. We are pushing engineering to India, China and the Philippines because it's cheaper. While reducing the staff in western offices.

So it's of no surprise that our company is bleeding young staff. We've lost 8 engineering graduates this year so far. Basically one a month. Why? For the most part, because we're not offering engineering as they envisioned. I feel sorry for any young engineer getting stuck on the project I'm on, for example, and yes I use the term 'stuck'. Large projects are horrible for learning anything on. There's a distinct lack of practical experience as well.

My company wants young staff because they're starting to lose senior staff to retirement. However, my industry has been horrible at getting new staff in the first place, years without any investment whatsoever. Then when they get them they offer the poorest experience for anyone. Who wants to graduate as an engineer and push paper around and 'check' other people's work? Not any bright graduate who wants to learn. Keeping in mind how low the amount of students there are interested in engineering as well.

My company talks the talk but in truth they're doing a very poor job of producing new engineers and to be honest the way the industry is going, with EPCM work, I see it moving more and more to the value centres and the other offices being used to drive the project. I think in the near future there will be more of a push to send people to these offshore value centres to supervise. At least that's my assessment. How soon I don't know but it tells you what I think of my industry. Maybe I'm jaded but I personally would tell any young graduate engineer to avoid getting a job at a EPCM regardless how good the pay looks if they want to learn to be a good engineer.

That wasn't always the case, but that's where we are now. I have little doubt that many larger companies that do software and engineering do this sort of thing. It is, to put it simply, brain drain. It's discouraging for anyone, let alone young people who feel that they want to achieve something.

Lastly, not to bash these 'value centres', the simple truth is, anyone who has to supervise from overseas often have a high level of frustration with their job and find it very unsatisfactory. There is not only a cultural difference but there is also a lot of other issues such as staff retention and skill level.

Through my life I've seen how the mentality changed with regards to career and how it went from one idea of stability to this newer idea of 'uncertainty'. Unfortunately, a lot of schools, colleges, universities, do not prepare students for this reality. There is still this belief that you graduate with a 'career' choice and you are 'stuck' with it for life. Which is so not true these days.

Anyway, I've babbled enough.
    https://mobile.nytimes.com/2017/09/0...nt-suggestions

I posted this I think two weeks ago and it dovetails appropriately into your point.

I'll take it one step further and state that in the US, I'm glad I'm not going through the school system growing up. They like to always cut funding from Education to balance budgets and school districts seemingly never have enough money to do anything. I'd love to hear science guy's take on this one.

So if the school system all the way up to high school from a patriarchal lens filters out women to get into certain jobs, then filters out minority males in varying degrees, what do we have? Young displaced males of color in economically stressed places having to "hustle", creating more business for the criminal justice system and the secondary systems that support it in some cases. In others being pigeonholed into another narrow set of choices because to do something truly different won't immediately put food in an empty fridge that hasn't had any for days or fight that eviction notice or pay the utilities that have been off for months. We also have women not accessing the type of jobs as they should (no equal pay here), so they flood certain careers and from a wages standpoint, drop the salaries.

So we have creative young people being thrown to the wolves with some of these problems with inadequate support and expect many to innovate and thrive?

Sounds about right. (Sarcasm alert)
    N_LaRUE, libra89 and Laura Knotek like this.
    09-18-2017 07:11 AM

I posted this I think two weeks ago and it dovetails appropriately into your point.

I'll take it one step further and state that in the US, I'm glad I'm not going through the school system growing up. They like to always cut funding from Education to balance budgets and school districts seemingly never have enough money to do anything. I'd love to hear science guy's take on this one.
    Though I don't work in the education sector I have read many articles on the issues in the US. Aside from the budget issues, there's also the other issues where some schools spend more on sports than on anything else. This reduces funds for other parts of the school. This happens in both colleges and high schools. Then there's the issue of certain states having more power in what gets put in school text books and so on. There are so many issues in the US education system that I sometimes wonder how anyone escapes with any sort of decent education sometimes.... well the US did vote in Dump... hmmmmm

Sorry couldn't help myself...
    09-18-2017 07:21 AM

So if the school system all the way up to high school from a patriarchal lens filters out women to get into certain jobs, then filters out minority males in varying degrees, what do we have? Young displaced males of color in economically stressed places having to "hustle", creating more business for the criminal justice system and the secondary systems that support it in some cases. In others being pigeonholed into another narrow set of choices because to do something truly different won't immediately put food in an empty fridge that hasn't had any for days or fight that eviction notice or pay the utilities that have been off for months. We also have women not accessing the type of jobs as they should (no equal pay here), so they flood certain careers and from a wages standpoint, drop the salaries.

So we have creative young people being thrown to the wolves with some of these problems with inadequate support and expect many to innovate and thrive?

Sounds about right. (Sarcasm alert)
    There are without a doubt many many issues with the education system just like there are many issues with society itself.

We could probably talk for pages on these topics alone and unfortunately agree with each other but solve nothing! LOL!

The whole education system needs to be revamped and made to suit students better but that would be expensive so I don't see that happening.

Society needs to come to grips with diversity but unfortunately there still so many places in multicultural parts of the world where you still don't find any mixed populations so stereotyping is easy to keep up and to keep the fear/hate going.

Such are the issues the world faces.
    MSFTisMIA, Laura Knotek and TgeekB like this.
    09-18-2017 07:27 AM
    There are without a doubt many many issues with the education system just like there are many issues with society itself.

We could probably talk for pages on these topics alone and unfortunately agree with each other but solve nothing! LOL!

The whole education system needs to be revamped and made to suit students better but that would be expensive so I don't see that happening.

Society needs to come to grips with diversity but unfortunately there still so many places in multicultural parts of the world where you still don't find any mixed populations so stereotyping is easy to keep up and to keep the fear/hate going.

Such are the issues the world faces.
    The thing though is that what has always been helpful is creating a climate in some way where people from the upcoming generation is able to advocate, innovate and ultimately, change. It is still happening now, but one has the sense that it is more hidden in bushels and scattered areas than it should be. Like everything else these days, if you don't dig through the cruft and misinformation, you don't find it.
    09-18-2017 07:33 AM
    The thing though is that what has always been helpful is creating a climate in some way where people from the upcoming generation is able to advocate, innovate and ultimately, change. It is still happening now, but one has the sense that it is more hidden in bushels and scattered areas than it should be. Like everything else these days, if you don't dig through the cruft and misinformation, you don't find it.
    What I've noticed from watching some YouTube stuff is that some younger people are stepping out of the usual and doing things their own way. Most appear to be going after life experiences these days.

Which is not a bad thing and I think it's a break from their upbringing which bereft them of experiences.

I think more and more young people will shun the traditional but there's a long path ahead of them. Whether we'll see changes in the future I don't know. I thought my generation would have done better by now but I see too many around my age still stuck with traditionalist ideas and becoming more and more conservative with age. Sad really. So much for the 'rebellious' 80s.
    libra89, Laura Knotek and TgeekB like this.
    09-18-2017 07:39 AM
    For the record, not fully being able to use my smartwatch 100% sucks.
    09-18-2017 07:43 AM
    Though I don't work in the education sector I have read many articles on the issues in the US. Aside from the budget issues, there's also the other issues where some schools spend more on sports than on anything else. This reduces funds for other parts of the school. This happens in both colleges and high schools. Then there's the issue of certain states having more power in what gets put in school text books and so on. There are so many issues in the US education system that I sometimes wonder how anyone escapes with any sort of decent education sometimes.... well the US did vote in Dump... hmmmmm

Sorry couldn't help myself...
    If my memory is correct, each school district is funded a little bit differently. I can tell you that school districts in the usual areas (poor) often struggle to offer sports and other after school programs. If suspect that some of the places where football is King there is some benefits like a business where if the athletic department isn't funded well, the school cannot generate the extra revenue to do other things. It is why in some colleges and high schools, I'd suspect football (and to a lesser degree basketball) coaches are held in such a high regard.

But these are only educated hunches on my part. This is why I'd want Sciencelabsguy to weigh in as it's in his wheelhouse.
    09-18-2017 07:52 AM
    For the record, not fully being able to use my smartwatch 100% sucks.
    Wait do you mean in general? Or are you using the XL currently?
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    09-18-2017 08:00 AM
    Really trying to get my application in this week, and it's on my recommendations now essentially.

I went to see one of them this morning to follow up, and he told me that he's proud of my progress as a person (not just academically; he's a former professor of mine). I thanked him for his compliment. Anyway, he completed my recommendation letter in front of me. Two down, one to go. Going to be on this last person now, as daily as I can be.

I got an application to submit and tickets to buy to see my other favorite. The first thing has to happen first...
    N_LaRUE and Laura Knotek like this.
    09-18-2017 08:30 AM
    Wait do you mean in general? Or are you using the XL currently?
    I mean this:

https://www.androidcentral.com/lets-...-vulnerability
    09-18-2017 09:24 AM
    What I've noticed from watching some YouTube stuff is that some younger people are stepping out of the usual and doing things their own way. Most appear to be going after life experiences these days.

Which is not a bad thing and I think it's a break from their upbringing which bereft them of experiences.

I think more and more young people will shun the traditional but there's a long path ahead of them. Whether we'll see changes in the future I don't know. I thought my generation would have done better by now but I see too many around my age still stuck with traditionalist ideas and becoming more and more conservative with age. Sad really. So much for the 'rebellious' 80s.
    See, I don't have a problem with young people striking out on their own and exercising their powers of agency. Still, I've seen a lot of people get swallowed alive by having to go through experiential learning ill equipped beforehand. I think that's where my gripe is...we often push critical thinking and innovation like it's something ingrained and natural.
    09-18-2017 09:26 AM
    Really trying to get my application in this week, and it's on my recommendations now essentially.

I went to see one of them this morning to follow up, and he told me that he's proud of my progress as a person (not just academically; he's a former professor of mine). I thanked him for his compliment. Anyway, he completed my recommendation letter in front of me. Two down, one to go. Going to be on this last person now, as daily as I can be.

I got an application to submit and tickets to buy to see my other favorite. The first thing has to happen first...
    Good luck! The process can be nerve wracking, but nice because you can get positive reinforcement as to where you are from those who know you...that's a great feeling indeed.
    09-18-2017 09:28 AM
144,463 ... 54975498549955005501 ...