What Big G did today I didn't like was draw the line...Pixel gets 2 years of OS updates and 3 years of security patches. Pixel 2 went at minimum 3 years on each front.

It makes getting an OG Pixel now more of a roll of the dice. That's a shame.
    libra89 and Laura Knotek like this.
    10-04-2017 08:48 PM
    What Big G did today I didn't like was draw the line...Pixel gets 2 years of OS updates and 3 years of security patches. Pixel 2 went at minimum 3 years on each front.

It makes getting an OG Pixel now more of a roll of the dice. That's a shame.
    I agree. That is messed up. I wonder why they changed it.

Edit: On that note, it also seems like there's a time window for unlimited full resolution photo backup for the original Pixels. https://www.phonearena.com/news/Unli...n-2020_id98627
    Last edited by libra89; 10-04-2017 at 09:21 PM.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    10-04-2017 09:10 PM
    Hardware wise for me, the V30 has the best combo of features for my needs. In fact, the two most appealing hardware packages on the market to me are the Essential phone and the V30 (with the Mi Mix 2 as a solid 3rd).

But...going from a V20 to a V30, the upgrades don't justify the increased cost as well... especially due to the discounted price I got this V20 for. Plus, this isn't the G4 days when I got software updates more frequently. It's been very disappointing the software situation for the V20.

As for the Essential phone, the jury's out as to what Andy's company will do with updates. Plus, as much as I love how compact the device is...the software with regard to the camera is a big issue. While using the Google camera app helps, I'm not pleased to have to use that on a device that is being sold for the price it is.

I do have the new phone itch, but cost to benefits as an upgrade from the V20 + Mi Note 2 combo, the value amount to spend to do the upgrades don't justify the benefits of the upgrades.
    Again, I need to borrow your willpower. Who knows, I might gain some of it passively with the start of this program. LOL
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    10-04-2017 09:19 PM
    Idealistically, I hope the Pixel 2 or the Sony Xperia XZ1 Compact work out for me. If not, I could stick with the Pixel I currently have. Not going to be seeing that Pixel 2 for a while and probably by the time I do, I would have news about my application.

Whoa. The idea of that being so long is kind of scary (not for the phone but for the news).
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    10-04-2017 09:23 PM
    Again, I need to borrow your willpower. Who knows, I might gain some of it passively with the start of this program. LOL
    It isn't willpower. It's a simple fact that this is a never-ending rat race and an expensive one at that. I can argue that since the S800 chip debuted that in the high end space hardware has matured. The only thing that's gotten better rapidly since the S800 chip's debut is the camera tech.

There's no reason to still stick by a two year cycle for OS updates. All it means by doing that is Android OEMs wanting to milk customers. Google did that with the OG Pixels, so they don't get a pass from me there either.
    10-04-2017 09:33 PM
    Idealistically, I hope the Pixel 2 or the Sony Xperia XZ1 Compact work out for me. If not, I could stick with the Pixel I currently have. Not going to be seeing that Pixel 2 for a while and probably by the time I do, I would have news about my application.

Whoa. The idea of that being so long is kind of scary (not for the phone but for the news).
    You do know that the Pixel 2 is slightly larger than the original Pixel in every dimension except weight, right?
    10-04-2017 09:49 PM
    You do know that the Pixel 2 is slightly larger than the original Pixel in every dimension except weight, right?
    Yep, I know. Since it is slight, it should be fine. What I mean by hoping that it works for me is having the phones work out for what I usually do with my phone, along with what I really care about the most in a phone.

I have concerns about both phones when it comes to certain things, but we will see how these things play out.
    Last edited by libra89; 10-04-2017 at 11:29 PM. Reason: Grammar
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    10-04-2017 10:20 PM
    So, yeah, Google released some phones. Just what we need. More expensive smartphones on the market. Yay!

I still don't like the look of the Pixel. So no interest at all.
    10-05-2017 07:13 AM
    ...so much like all the gloom and doom in WC.
    Minutes away from darkness, gonna find me some recalcitrant replicants

... !
    10-05-2017 07:28 AM
    So, yeah, Google released some phones. Just what we need. More expensive smartphones on the market. Yay!

To be fair, thinking this way saves you money. I'm glad to have another small phone option though. Not pleased about them removing the headphone jack after mocking Apple for doing it last year.

Not dissing the Sony, I will be trying that first. I'm excited for it, as it checks most boxes of mine from what I have read.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    10-05-2017 08:46 AM

I'm not fond of the appearance, the lack of the headphone jack, or the lack of the microSD card slot.

I'm not getting the V30, since I've only had the V20 for 2 months, and I have extra batteries for it. I prefer having a removable battery rather than having water resistance, since I'm a heavy user but not outdoors.
    libra89 and fatclue_98 like this.
    10-05-2017 01:00 PM
    I'm baaaack!!

Sent from my HP Elite x3 on mTalk
    libra89, Laura Knotek and Muessig like this.
    10-05-2017 05:29 PM
    So we are off to see The Four Tops and The Temptations tomorrow night.
    10-05-2017 05:49 PM
    LG frustrates me.

I went to the AT&T and Verizon wireless stores to see the V30 and none were ready for display. I'll look at it next week.

I suppose I'm just annoyed at Android in general due to how software updates are handled. iOS isn't a better option and Windows is like Trump's hair - just there and outdated.

Just nothing out as a complete package I'm interested in. That's a damn shame.
    10-05-2017 05:53 PM
    LG frustrates me.

I went to the AT&T and Verizon wireless stores to see the V30 and none were ready for display. I'll look at it next week.

I suppose I'm just annoyed at Android in general due to how software updates are handled. iOS isn't a better option and Windows is like Trump's hair - just there and outdated.

I did how the VZW reps chatted me though. One guy owned a V20 and was talking about how one LG rep don't let him see the V30. We were talking about how good the video recording was. A great conversation indeed.

The T-Mobile rep was like "it's preorder only". The AT&T rep was "we don't have it yet". If I was buying it based on experience alone, looks like VZW would have won me over.

Good thing I don't give a **** about that and don't buy phones from the regular user's perspective. Still, I appreciated how much better VZW reps were in that moment.
    10-05-2017 05:56 PM
    I'm baaaack!!

Welcome back! Wait, am I reading your signature right? Do you really have another x3?
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    10-05-2017 07:19 PM
    LG frustrates me.

That's disappointing that there wasn't any on display. Hopefully soon. Yeah software updates are a mess for the most part. Even iOS is messy at the moment.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    10-05-2017 07:22 PM
    LG frustrates me.

I was at an AT&T store as well, and they didn't have the V30.
    10-05-2017 07:30 PM
    Went to my TMO store, no V30 yet.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    10-05-2017 07:32 PM
    Went to my TMO store, no V30 yet.
    T-Mobile is doing pre-orders right now.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    10-05-2017 07:43 PM
    T-Mobile is doing pre-orders right now.
    Yeah, I know.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    10-05-2017 07:48 PM
    Ooh enjoy!
    Not sure how I forgot to comment that yesterday.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    10-06-2017 11:19 AM
    Welcome back! Wait, am I reading your signature right? Do you really have another x3?
    You betcha!!

Laura Knotek and libra89 like this.
    10-06-2017 12:53 PM
    That should be a great concert. 🎶
    libra89 and fatclue_98 like this.
    10-06-2017 12:55 PM
    You betcha!!

You know I'm going to ask what I'm about to ask.
    What made you decide to go back? What happened to the new iPhone 8?

Also congrats!
    fatclue_98 likes this.
    10-06-2017 01:12 PM
144,448 ... 55105511551255135514 ...