The Windows 10 April 2018 update has arrived! Get the new Dell XPS 15, starting at $999.99
    Ah, right after I posted that, my Sony Xperia XZ1 Compact was delivered. A part of me wants to get it during my break but another part of me is saying that it makes more sense to get the non-perishable groceries I need to get so that I can watch the game (which starts at 4pm). I'll miss an hour and a bit because I'm at work and the commute to go home.

The struggle of when both of the things you are into collide...
    Laura Knotek and azcruz like this.
    10-09-2017 10:18 AM
    So Windows 10 Mobile is "pretty much dead"...who knew, right?
    10-09-2017 05:14 PM
    So Windows 10 Mobile is "pretty much dead"...who knew, right?
    It feels oddly reassuring to hear that from Microsoft, even if it wasn't a press announcement.

This whole thing of being up in the air has been annoying.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    10-09-2017 05:17 PM
    It's been exhausting but I have managed to whittle down my stock of devices to Mi Mix 2 and Pixel.

I also have two Chinese devices but don't know (am not really sure) what's the best mechanism to get rid of them. One is the red Elephone P8 and another one is the Oukitel K10000 Pro.
    libra89 and Laura Knotek like this.
    10-09-2017 06:02 PM
    I twice to the TMO store and also twice to the VZW store.
    No V30 yet to play with.
    I might go to the ATT store tomorrow and see if I am lucky.
    10-09-2017 06:03 PM
    It's been exhausting but I have managed to whittle down my stock of devices to Mi Mix 2 and Pixel.

I also have two Chinese devices but don't know (am not really sure) what's the best mechanism to get rid of them. One is the red Elephone P8 and another one is the Oukitel K10000 Pro.
    Wow you're on a roll! Hmm as for the other two, that's tricky.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    10-09-2017 06:06 PM

Congratulations to being down to your two temporary devices.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    10-09-2017 06:49 PM
    Congratulations to being down to your two temporary devices.
    Pixel has lasted longer than your current crop of devices but thanks for your wishes.
    Laura Knotek and libra89 like this.
    10-09-2017 06:50 PM
    It feels oddly reassuring to hear that from Microsoft, even if it wasn't a press announcement.

This whole thing of being up in the air has been annoying.
    There's nothing oddly reassuring there. They killed Windows 10 from the time WP8.1 was launched.
    Laura Knotek, libra89 and N_LaRUE like this.
    10-09-2017 06:53 PM
    Pixel has lasted longer than your current crop of devices but thanks for your wishes.
    You're welcome. It would appear the Pixel has finally made it in your HOF. It's a nice phone...I've thought about getting one a few times but the lack of manual controls for the camera and a few minor quibbles such as that damn price kept me away.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    10-09-2017 06:59 PM
    The Sim tray was a struggle to get out and fit into the XZ1 Compact.

The cameras are actually similar with the Galaxy A3 (I'll have to check out that spec sheet for both phones) in low light play tests but the color isn't great. In a twisted way, the color of the A3 is similar to the Pixel but the details are the same for both the XZ1 Compact and the A3.

Speed and size is great though. I don't know what to do. Returning it takes a hit but I might take it. Wow.

It's like the XZ1 Compact is the ideal pairing of performance and size together but then the camera is I dunno.

Edit: I just remembered the Google Camera port. Since this has a 835 processor, it should work. Going to give that a try.

Edit 2: No luck, keeps crashing. Hmm back to the drawing board I guess. Let me try something for someone and then I would think about what I should do.
    Last edited by libra89; 10-09-2017 at 07:40 PM.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    10-09-2017 07:01 PM
    You're welcome. It would appear the Pixel has finally made it in your HOF. It's a nice phone...I've thought about getting one a few times but the lack of manual controls for the camera and a few minor quibbles such as that damn price kept me away.
    It's one of my favorite devices from this last year. Manual controls don't bother me. I wish it had better zoom capabilities sometimes.
    10-09-2017 07:40 PM
    It's one of my favorite devices from this last year. Manual controls don't bother me. I wish it had better zoom capabilities sometimes.
    I do agree about the zoom.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    10-09-2017 09:15 PM
    I do agree about the zoom.
    Would it be possible for you to post a side by side picture of your three Android devices? Front and back?
    Thanks in advance.
    10-09-2017 10:38 PM
    I like that on the Mi Mix 2 I get to use the older Tapatalk version instead of the newer clunkier version that I am stuck with on my Pixel.
    10-09-2017 10:39 PM
    Would it be possible for you to post a side by side picture of your three Android devices? Front and back?
    Thanks in advance.
    Ah I wish that I saw this earlier. Sure, I'll try to do that soon. I'll just need some good lighting.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    10-09-2017 11:56 PM
    Thanks in advance.
    I forgot that when I come back, it's playoff game time so there's a chance the lighting might not work out still.

I took some early morning shots for you:

It's hard to see the height difference between the smaller phones so I figured that this would help because there is one for sure.

10-10-2017 06:35 AM
    So I think I'll keep the XZ1 Compact. I didn't know that the pictures I took would be the last time I see it like that. :(

Had a situation at work where we were forced to leave the building (all is fine) and we were trying to call coworkers to leave and then my poor phone slipped out of my hand. Screen isn't cracked thankfully but I have little scratches and a big scuff along the edges. Returning it is pointless because that's 50% out plus shipping.

I'll continue to try camera apps but I'm stuck with it. Not a bad phone to be stuck with, as it fits everything else I require and desire in one. Need to find a case that covers that stuff but still shows the back.
    Laura Knotek and fatclue_98 like this.
    10-10-2017 10:50 AM
    Fighting hard not get sucked into office drama...

#aintgotnotimeforthat
    10-10-2017 11:17 AM
    So I think I'll keep the XZ1 Compact. I didn't know that the pictures I took would be the last time I see it like that. :(

Had a situation at work where we were forced to leave the building (all is fine) and we were trying to call coworkers to leave and then my poor phone slipped out of my hand. Screen isn't cracked thankfully but I have little scratches and a big scuff along the edges. Returning it is pointless because that's 50% out plus shipping.

I'll continue to try camera apps but I'm stuck with it. Not a bad phone to be stuck with, as it fits everything else I require and desire in one. Need to find a case that covers that stuff but still shows the back.
    Glad that you are okay. Smartphones can be replaced.
    With all the fires up in Northern California, a good friend of ours had his old house burned down to the ground. Thankfully, they moved a year ago but still....we met them up there a few times.
    10-10-2017 11:49 AM
    @libra89
    Thanks for posting the pictures!
    10-10-2017 11:49 AM
    Glad that you are okay. Smartphones can be replaced.
    With all the fires up in Northern California, a good friend of ours had his old house burned down to the ground. Thankfully, they moved a year ago but still....we met them up there a few times.
    Thank you. That is true.

OMG wow... I can only imagine how weird that probably felt. I'm glad that they have moved from there though.
    10-10-2017 12:27 PM
    @libra89
    Thanks for posting the pictures!
    You're welcome. I was also curious too. I knew that the Pixel was much shorter but I wondered how much shorter the A3 was.
    I enjoyed the size of the A3 but the XZ1 Compact is just like the SE but it feels better. More screen but still very compact.
    Laura Knotek and fatclue_98 like this.
    10-10-2017 12:33 PM
    So...I got some alone the me with the V30...

1) My God it is so lightweight! If I owned one, I'd slap on a hard slim case on it. Haven't felt a phone that lightweight since the Mi 5. While it's not THAT comparatively lightweight, for a phone its size, the footprint weight wise is impressive.

2) Screen is nice. Really nice. I kinda like it a bit more than Samsung's panels.

3) Phone is fast. Love how responsive it felt.

4) Love the camera right away. The barrel distortion on the wide angle lens is reduced and while I wish it was f1.8 with OIS, it's very nice. I'd abuse it even more than I currently do with the V20's.

5) The silver looks flagship grade. But me being me...that blue is so, so nice.

6) It's barely bigger than the G6. Very impressive. I really liked the G6, so LG did a good job there.

Concerns:

1) Like the Mi 5, its lightweight makes me question the ability to survive a spill similar to what the V20 I'm using suffered recently. This needs to live in a case.

2) Not sold on battery life. It's not a 1080P screen, so even though it's P-OLED with the S835, when you start to hammer away with the camera... battery life takes a hit.

3) Such a wonderful design scares me in terms of updates for the unlocked model. Since I like the blue one, I'd hope the euro models are better with updates than the unlocked US. LG did better with the unlocked US G6, but they've shat over the V20 so hard it makes me not want the US model under any circumstances.

I didn't test the video zoom as much, but just poking around the camera app I can tell there's improvement there...so it should be better than the V20 for me.

All in all, it's tied with the Essential Phone with my favorite in-hand feel of 2017.

And yet, LG didn't announce and ship closely. It feels like a semi wasted opportunity in 2017 for them. I know they wanted their own spotlight, but ship the phone in September, not mid to late October. Come on!
    10-10-2017 05:41 PM
    Other thoughts...

1) I still love HTC designs. I held the 10 again today and wished I tried it...like the U 11...

2) The in hand feel of the Pixel is only good with the black model. I thought I was crazy but I was able to try all 3 colors and 2 of 3 colors with the Pixel XL. In both cases, the black model felt more comfortable in hand to use. I think they used a slightly different process/coating when finishing the black model. The white phones feel like a knock off version of the HTC 10 in hand.

3) Moto missed the boat with the Z² Force. It's a nice phone, but I honestly wouldn't walk past Andy's phone to buy it. That says a lot.

4) Curious to see the Pixel 2 in person - especially the XL version.
    Last edited by MSFTisMIA; 10-10-2017 at 06:02 PM.
    10-10-2017 05:46 PM
143,239 ... 55125513551455155516 ...