I liked the G6. Looking forward to hearing about your review.
    Okay so I'm not gonna break any new ground here. It's an established fact that any flagship from any of the major manufacturers within the last year or so is going to deliver a stellar device along many fronts. Excellent cameras, blistering performance, gorgeous displays and a gimmick or two is a given. What separates these heavyweights is design, battery life and ultimately, price.

So let's cut to the G6 chase. In comparison to the Mate 9 this phone is always a half step behind. The camera is very good but not as good as the Mate or the S8+ I had earlier this year. Even with the SD821 it's a touch slower for everyday tasks. The fingerprint scanner is also on the slower side but that may be a product of the button being a tad small and my fingers being fat, RA-infested nubs. The display itself is one of the nicest I've seen in quite some time. The brightness is great, whites are white and there are no jagged edges anywhere even with LG's Gothic font. It smokes the Mate except for size obviously.

Battery life is so so and that's fairly complimentary given my extreme usage. Off the charger at 5:30 and still had 43% by the time I cut loose to go home at 6:30 this evening. The Mate would hover around 50-55% but it had an enormous battery and FHD display. By comparison my HP x3 would rarely drop below 60% and that included Continuum.

Bluetooth and Wi-Fi are exceptional. Whereas the Mate had occasional difficulty staying latched on to my Fitbit and re-connection issues with my truck's hands-free, the G6 has none of these problems.

Audio is another area where this phone shines. Even though it's a mono setup and the decibel level is well below the Mate, it's a lot clearer and there's more balance across the spectrum. The Mate is loud as hell but so was my ex-wife - not the most pleasing experience. Now, connect to a decent soundbar or Bluetooth speakers and prepare to be impressed. Barry, Teddy and Luther sounded great again.

I think I've covered the basics considering it's only been about 24 hours. There's a lot to like being this was LG's flagship until the V30 arrived. I'm going to give a concerted effort to get used to this 18:9 display. Well, I have to - it's the future. There's not a whole lot separating top-tier phones these days and this one's no different. As I mentioned earlier, it just feels like it's running in 4th gear all the time. Not that it's bad, it's just not as good. If you're an audiophile or simply enjoy music played well, this is your phone. I don't know how much better the V30 is going to be to justify the surely ridiculous $800 price tag compared to this one at half the price.

That's it for now. Or at least until the BlackBerry Motion comes stateside. That insane battery life, Pixel-esque camera and BlackBerry features for $400 is too tempting.
    Last edited by fatclue_98; 10-19-2017 at 08:34 PM.
    10-19-2017 08:00 PM
    Go on with the heathen, mon. There's only one Prophet and Bob his name be.
    That's fine. He's timeless so that works.

I like the sons too, especially Damian and Stephen.
    fatclue_98 and Laura Knotek like this.
    10-19-2017 08:01 PM
    Okay so I'm not gonna break any new ground here. It's an established fact that any flagship from any of the major manufacturers within the last year or so is going to deliver a stellar device along many fronts. Excellent cameras, blistering performance, gorgeous displays and a gimmick or two is a given. What separates these heavyweights is design, battery life and ultimately, price.

So let's cut to the G6 chase. In comparison to the Mate 9 this phone is always a half step behind. The camera is very good but not as good as the Mate or the S8+ I had earlier this year. E
    Much appreciated. The Kirin 960 and SD835 are really more powerful when better optimized than the SD821. Goes to show you what a great job Google did tuning the Pixels with the same chip as the G6...
    10-19-2017 08:04 PM

So let's cut to the G6 chase. In comparison to the Mate 9 this phone is always a half step behind. The camera is very good but not as good as the Mate or the S8+ I had earlier this year. E
    Yeah I did wonder how it compares. Thanks for this. Hmm do you see this as a possible annoyance?
    10-19-2017 08:11 PM
    Yeah I did wonder how it compares. Thanks for this. Hmm do you see this as a possible annoyance?
    Had to edit my post. My fat knuckles hit the reply button on the screen. Touchscreens and keyboards don't always mix.
    libra89 and Laura Knotek like this.
    10-19-2017 08:39 PM
    Had to edit my post. My fat knuckles hit the reply button on the screen. Touchscreens and keyboards don't always mix.
    It's all good, it happens!

Now that I read your edit, that answers my question somewhat. If we are alike (aside from the chronic switching lol), the battery life might be annoying. Thank you for sharing your impressions/experience so far. It sounds like it wins over the Mate 9 in certain areas but loses over other ones.
    10-19-2017 08:53 PM
    Pixel-esque camera in a Blackberry???
    That would be impressive if it happened.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    10-19-2017 09:03 PM
    Pixel-esque camera in a Blackberry???
    That would be impressive if it happened.
    It already has. The KEYone has the same sensor as the Pixel.
    10-19-2017 09:11 PM
    Yeah the pictures on the KEYone were pretty good.
    10-19-2017 09:17 PM
    Speaking of cameras, I was ready to write a long post about being indecisive on what phone to use because in low light, the XZ1C basically always requires a change in color temperature, which means there's a chance of missing the shot while adjusting that. I wasn't sure if I would get tired of that until I realized that I can actually change the default camera and that entire issue is gone.
    worldspy99, fatclue_98 and N_LaRUE like this.
    10-19-2017 09:21 PM
    Yeah the pictures on the KEYone were pretty good.
    But did they rival that from the Pixel?
    10-19-2017 09:26 PM
    But it doesn't have the HDR+ logic of the Google Camera software.
    10-19-2017 09:26 PM
    But it doesn't have the HDR+ logic of the Google Camera software.
    I haven't owned one to know how good it is but the reviews have been very favorable. Yes, software plays a yuge roll (couldn't resist) and I can attest to it. I've owned the Idol 4S and the DTEK60 which have identical camera hardware and the BlackBerry does take better pictures. Not much better, but noticeable.
    libra89 likes this.
    10-19-2017 09:33 PM
    But did they rival that from the Pixel?
    True, totally not but they were good in their own right.
    fatclue_98 likes this.
    10-19-2017 09:35 PM
    99, I see that Phone Arena has posted a review for the Mi Mix 2 and I'm wondering what you thought of it? I can see you agreeing and disagreeing with it together: https://www.phonearena.com/reviews/X...-Review_id4432
    10-19-2017 10:24 PM
    As petty as it might be, I'm glad that the Dodgers are in and the Cubs are out. 2 weeks ago, that game hurt my soul...
    fatclue_98 likes this.
    10-19-2017 10:40 PM
    So much beef with the V30 is well founded. The audio experience between both the V30 and V20 are a wash it would seem. So as much as I like the new look, if I get one I'm not paying that $800+ mark up.
    10-20-2017 06:33 AM
    So much beef with the V30 is well founded. The audio experience between both the V30 and V20 are a wash it would seem. So as much as I like the new look, if I get one I'm not paying that $800+ mark up.
    And as much as I like the Essential phone's hardware, I wouldn't pay no more than $550 brand new for it either. Consumers need to stop letting these OEMs charge these outrageous process for incremental upgrades.
    10-20-2017 06:34 AM
    As petty as it might be, I'm glad that the Dodgers are in and the Cubs are out. 2 weeks ago, that game hurt my soul...
    I'm not a Nats fan (NYM) so I have no sympathy for you...but I don't like the bandwagon Cubs fans either, so I'm fine with the Dodgers knocking them out. I wanted to see CLE/HOU vs LA, but it'll likely be the Yankees v Dodgers. I'm fine with that too.
    10-20-2017 06:37 AM
    I'm not a Nats fan (NYM) so I have no sympathy for you...but I don't like the bandwagon Cubs fans either, so I'm fine with the Dodgers knocking them out. I wanted to see CLE/HOU vs LA, but it'll likely be the Yankees v Dodgers. I'm fine with that too.
    Ooh you're a Mets fan, that's cool.

I agree, either of those teams would make it very interesting. If the Yankees make it, I hope they lose...lol

Half joking, half serious but I want to see how many "fans" come out of the woodwork if the Yankees v. Dodgers match up comes to life. I don't hate the Yankees at all, I'm just always wanting the underdog to have a chance. I loved the story of the Cubs and of the Royals.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    10-20-2017 07:27 AM
    99, I see that Phone Arena has posted a review for the Mi Mix 2 and I'm wondering what you thought of it? I can see you agreeing and disagreeing with it together: https://www.phonearena.com/reviews/X...-Review_id4432
    I read the review. The funny thing is the negatives they describe aren't that bad in my experience. I have the Global ROM with MIUI 9 so no janky software experience. The main camera is reasonable. The turning the phone upside down for selfies is okay as well since the phone software pings you to do it. So that leaves only one major quibble. And these days all smartphones seem to have one.

I have to say that I like this as much as the original Mi Note with the Bamboo back.
    10-20-2017 08:13 AM
    Well it looks like Huawei brought it's A game to the latest Mate 10 Pro.

https://www.dxomark.com/huawei-mate-...e-performance/
    10-20-2017 08:55 AM
    I read the review. The funny thing is the negatives they describe aren't that bad in my experience. I have the Global ROM with MIUI 9 so no janky software experience. The main camera is reasonable. The turning the phone upside down for selfies is okay as well since the phone software pings you to do it. So that leaves only one major quibble. And these days all smartphones seem to have one.

I have to say that I like this as much as the original Mi Note with the Bamboo back.
    Ah okay, I see. Yeah I figured that what they say about the software is something that you would disagree with because I don't remember you saying anything about the software. Glad that you are liking it a lot though, it's a very interesting phone. So true about the major quibble being in every phone..

I was thinking about that yesterday when thinking about what phone to use and if I should use the Pixel over the XZ1C (A3 could be have been here too but no Nougat yet, this might change when it drops; Samsung has updated some but not my model yet) but they each have a tradeoff that will bother me.
    10-20-2017 08:57 AM
    Well it looks like Huawei brought it's A game to the latest Mate 10 Pro.

https://www.dxomark.com/huawei-mate-...e-performance/
    Wow the shots look awesome. Glad to see that this one is coming to the US. If it's anything like the Mate 9, it will have great battery life and good performance.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    10-20-2017 09:03 AM
    $649 for this phone factory unlocked and they could have given the Samsungs/Pixels a run for their money. At $800 and limited availability they aren't going to sell that well despite the headphone jack. $800 for a V30 vs $849 for a Pixel 2XL, we all know how the LG device is going to fare in that skirmish.
    Laura Knotek and libra89 like this.
    10-20-2017 11:06 AM
143,642 ... 55195520552155225523 ...