I do like the "reading mode" on the new iPhones...AKA that boosted color saturated setting. Makes it nicer and softer for my eyes on the screen. It's why I really like the iPhone 8.

Would I buy one? Of course not. Doesn't mean I don't like it though.
    libra89 and Laura Knotek like this.
    11-05-2017 08:53 AM
    So...2 months in with the iPhone 6S, what do I think?

Meh.

My views on Apple hasn't changed. The apps are strong, the OS isn't to my liking. The phone is small, the screen is nice for such a low resolution, the camera is solid and the headphone jack is convenient. The design is stale (although I like it in glass now on the iPhone 8).

I just use it for work and only turn it on during work hours. So the battery life is good for what I want.

All in all, it's a nice device. If I could not use it for work (as in have not been issued one), I'd be happier, but it does the job.
    11-05-2017 08:58 AM
    Hello people, long time no see :D
    11-05-2017 10:18 AM
    So far I'm impressed with the XZ1 Compact.

I'll write more about my thoughts later.
    11-05-2017 11:34 AM
    Hello people, long time no see :D
    Sup Driver? What's new?
    Laura Knotek and libra89 like this.
    11-05-2017 11:35 AM
    Nothing new actually, 2nd year seems to be a bit harder then first. How are you all? I'm thinking about buying new mouse :)
    11-05-2017 11:38 AM
    Nothing new actually, 2nd year seems to be a bit harder then first. How are you all? I'm thinking about buying new mouse :)
    That's usually the case...college is supposed to be harder each year.

How's the Moto Z?
    N_LaRUE, Laura Knotek and libra89 like this.
    11-05-2017 11:42 AM
    Moto Z is having some stability issues, it froze on me couple of days and I had to reset it. I will probably do hard reset sometime and hope it fixes it. Other then that it's OK, I doubt I will be able to stay on it for 2 years but we will see. Camera is not really that great and I would really like wide angle so maybe LG G7 next year around this time, we will see :)
    11-05-2017 12:25 PM
    Good luck with college. ☺️

What mouse are you looking at?
    libra89 likes this.
    11-05-2017 12:28 PM
    I'm looking at MX Master or MX Master 2S, not sure if 2S is worth 15€ more?
    11-05-2017 12:30 PM
    Moto Z is having some stability issues, it froze on me couple of days and I had to reset it. I will probably do hard reset sometime and hope it fixes it. Other then that it's OK, I doubt I will be able to stay on it for 2 years but we will see. Camera is not really that great and I would really like wide angle so maybe LG G7 next year around this time, we will see :)
    Oh, that sucks. Hope the hard reset works out.
    Laura Knotek, libra89 and N_LaRUE like this.
    11-05-2017 02:33 PM
    So Andy's phone is now $450 with free shipping. I shall sit patiently to get it much cheaper than that.
    Can you say "Black Friday"? Mr. Rogers can.

Sent from my Idol 4S on mTalk
    11-05-2017 04:06 PM
    Can you say "Black Friday"? Mr. Rogers can.

Sent from my Idol 4S on mTalk
    Yup. I think now, including the camera improvements, makes it a nice work phone for me.
    11-05-2017 04:13 PM
    So far I'm impressed with the XZ1 Compact.

I'll write more about my thoughts later.
    I will be looking forward to it :) Even though I no longer have one, I'm really curious what you think about it.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    11-05-2017 08:31 PM
    Ooh just watched that Samsung commercial and wow, that was done very well. The way that they did this was clever.

If you can't watch, you can read what happened in it here: https://www.phonearena.com/news/Life...ercial_id99534
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    11-05-2017 08:34 PM
    OK so this is a very quick review because the XZ1 Compact isn't my phone. I was just setting it up for my wife while we were driving to Liverpool (that's a whole other story).

First impressions:

The colour my wife has is called silver white. It's rather interesting. In certain light it looks white while in others it looks silver. It's pretty neat.

I was startled by how much the compact weighs. Though small it it's got some heft to it. It feels really premium overall as it's the same material as the standard XZ1. (I heard some people say it was plastic, it's not) Size wise, it's basically the same size as the Z5 Compact though maybe a touch wider. I was expecting the Compact to be rounded like the XZ1 but it's pretty much the same design as the Z5 Compact. They put the volume rocker back where it belongs on this model, near the top.

Some people complain about the screen resolution on the XZ1 Compact. However, I will say this. It's way better than the Z5 Compact. One of the reasons why I don't want a compact phone is partially to do with my eyesight. (The other being I have massive hands.) I don't want to have to use reading glasses to read my mobile phone. The Z5 Compact I have trouble reading, however, the XZ1 Compact I find very clear and easy to read for a small phone. I know reviewers have this tendency to write off the screen but Sony does improve it each revision. It's a really nice screen.

It's quick! The phone boots so quickly and it zips along at top speed. It's got great performance in general. No stutter or lag at all. Everything just pops!

Speakers were very nice a clear. I was surprised actually how good they sounded.

Software - I didn't play around too much with Oreo. On the whole I wasn't impressed with the new settings menu, (not sure if this is Sony or not) it's less intuitive than before. Other than that I can't say much more than that.

We didn't get around to using the camera yet but that will come in time. I know this is a big thing for a lot of people. I'll give insight into that when we get the chance to take some nice shots.

As this is purely about setting things up I can't say more. Overall impression is that it's a quality product. The only thing that irritated me was the SIM tray.

So that's my quick review.
    11-06-2017 01:49 AM
    OK so this is a very quick review because the XZ1 Compact isn't my phone. I was just setting it up for my wife while we were driving to Liverpool (that's a whole other story).

First impressions:

The colour my wife has is called silver white. It's rather interesting. In certain light it looks white while in others it looks silver. It's pretty neat.

I was startled by how much the compact weighs. Though small it it's got some heft to it. It feels really premium overall as it's the same material as the standard XZ1. (I heard some people say it was plastic, it's not) Size wise, it's basically the same size as the Z5 Compact though maybe a touch wider. I was expecting the Compact to be rounded like the XZ1 but it's pretty much the same design as the Z5 Compact. They put the volume rocker back where it belongs on this model, near the top.

Some people complain about the screen resolution on the XZ1 Compact. However, I will say this. It's way better than the Z5 Compact. One of the reasons why I don't want a compact phone is partially to do with my eyesight. (The other being I have massive hands.) I don't want to have to use reading glasses to read my mobile phone. The Z5 Compact I have trouble reading, however, the XZ1 Compact I find very clear and easy to read for a small phone. I know reviewers have this tendency to write off the screen but Sony does improve it each revision. It's a really nice screen.

It's quick! The phone boots so quickly and it zips along at top speed. It's got great performance in general. No stutter or lag at all. Everything just pops!

Speakers were very nice a clear. I was surprised actually how good they sounded.

Software - I didn't play around too much with Oreo. On the whole I wasn't impressed with the new settings menu, (not sure if this is Sony or not) it's less intuitive than before. Other than that I can't say much more than that.

We didn't get around to using the camera yet but that will come in time. I know this is a big thing for a lot of people. I'll give insight into that when we get the chance to take some nice shots.

As this is purely about setting things up I can't say more. Overall impression is that it's a quality product. The only thing that irritated me was the SIM tray.

So that's my quick review.
    Sweet, thanks for this! Great review! Ha yeah that Sim tray requires a fingernail or something to get it out lol.
    11-06-2017 06:11 AM
    Monday morning travel delays...and on a rainy day too. Gotta love it...

But hey, we will with resistance in order to still remain productive.
    libra89, N_LaRUE and Laura Knotek like this.
    11-06-2017 06:43 AM
    No travel delay on at least the drive to LAX. Let's hope the flight isn't bumpy. It's raining in Boston as well. I'll deal with that when I get to Boston.
    11-06-2017 07:51 AM
    Savage from Samsung to Apple 😆
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    11-06-2017 11:04 AM
    Savage from Samsung to Apple
    Gotta give them props for that...
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    11-06-2017 12:23 PM
    I give Apple props on this hustle one the one hand, but it still hurts on the other...

https://mobile.nytimes.com/2017/11/0...gtype=Homepage
    11-06-2017 12:29 PM
    Flight was smooth. Arrived 40 minutes early and now sitting on tarmac because no gate available yet.

Pixel still takes great pictures.
    11-06-2017 03:17 PM
    OK so with Android 8.0 (not 8.1) I've found the most annoying aspect of it. The stupid apps running in the background notification. What genius thought this was a good idea? Not only is it annoying, it's pointless for the 98% of users who don't care.

Worse is the fact you can't turn the thing off! They updated it on 8.1 but for most users this will have to wait or use an app to disable it.

What is most annoying about this particular notification is that it brings up a menu with switches that do absolutely nothing. What a pointless thing.

What was Google developers thinking???
    11-07-2017 01:59 AM
    Rue: "what were you thinking?"

Google engineer: "absolutely nothing."
    libra89, N_LaRUE and Laura Knotek like this.
    11-07-2017 07:20 AM
144,481 ... 55315532553355345535 ...