• 00Days
  • 00Hours
  • 00Mins
  • 00Secs
Check out the best deals!
    You are incorrect. Today is the 318th day of the year and this marked the 317th mass shooting in the US this year. It's not sad, it's f*****g insane. Three children were murdered by a soul-less a**hole. Forgive me for my French but crimes against children really get to me.
    I totally agree with you.

Thing is, after Sandyhook and with nothing done. I just don't see this pattern changing any time soon.

When you have a belief you're entitled to a gun it is literally like a religion.

Most don't know what the 2nd amendment is because they haven't read it. They just parrot what they're told it is.

There's nothing wrong with the idea of gun control. It's proven to work. Unfortunately there are people who put profit before life.
    11-14-2017 11:04 PM
    what makes me mad is that after many shootings there aren't any sensible gun laws. its becoming the norm to hear some sort of shooting and that is sad :/
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    11-15-2017 12:14 AM
    It's morning? How many timezones NY is from me, I surely never thought it was that much.
    Six hour time difference between Belgrade and New York, as an example.

It's five between London and New York.
    Rose640 and Laura Knotek like this.
    11-15-2017 01:38 AM
    what makes me mad is that after many shootings there aren't any sensible gun laws. its becoming the norm to hear some sort of shooting and that is sad :/
    The main problem the US has is that they need a federal solution. Not a state solution.

Having a state by state solution is a complete waste of time and effort.

That looks unlikely to happen any time soon. There's too many politicians in the back pocket of the terrorist organisation known as the NRA.
    sahib lopez likes this.
    11-15-2017 01:40 AM
    I know you're not a drinker, but I had to mention it.

I can get what you're saying. GB, and Europe in general, has really changed alot in the past few years. Rise of the nationalism is surprisingly worrying, it just came out of nowhere. (Or more like people stopped being afraid of expressing the kind of morons they were).

When all this is happening in the *Europe* (Germany, France, Spain and similar), what can one expect from a place such is my Balkan with it's every-50-years-war tradition.
    Nationalism has been on the rise for some time. Decades.

It's by far the easiest way to get people on board an 'ideal'. Patriotism, nationalism, conservatism all base their ideas on slogans meant to provoke feelings. Idealism about what 'your' country is and how 'great' it is or can be.

Unfortunately, more often than not, all those things usually comes a very brash negative ideology that there is only 'one' way to be 'American', 'British', etc. Better known as identity politics. That's where things get nasty. Revisionist of history normally crops into things. Ideology of the past seen as being 'better' than today. All these things, without fail, lead to a misinterpretation of what really makes a country a great place. The people. The diversity. The compassion. The care of one another.

That's what's sad about the rise of nationalism, etc. It divides people. The UK is an absolute mess at the moment. Just as bad if not worse than the US at the moment. There is no healing in sight. At all.

That's why I'm getting out of here. Yes there is no perfect country, but there's better than here.
    Last edited by N_LaRUE; 11-15-2017 at 02:35 AM.
    11-15-2017 02:02 AM
    Now, my heart goes out to all past, present, and unfortunately future victims of massing shootings and their families. Ill deeds respect no age, gender, culture or socioeconomics as it is merely the end product of ill thoughts.

Until we address the underlying issues by acknowledgement and actual problem solving, we will remain in the cycle of being initially outraged, kvetch about the "same old solutions by shouting down down different opinions than our own and taking in information from sources aligned with our viewpoint, and then crawl back to our daily lives.

Perhaps Mr. Marley can speak on this more eloquently than me...

Don't know how majority of US politicians won't admit that the heart of the problem lies within the fact that it's so easy to access guns and weapons.

Not the only thing that's to blame, but surely one of the most important ones.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    11-15-2017 03:18 AM
    Six hour time difference between Belgrade and New York, as an example.

It's five between London and New York.
    So 12 o'clock is somehow a morning for MIA :D.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    11-15-2017 03:21 AM
    Nationalism has been on the rise for some time. Decades.

It's by far the easiest way to get people on board an 'ideal'. Patriotism, nationalism, conservatism all base their ideas on slogans meant to provoke feelings. Idealism about what 'your' country is and how 'great' it is or can be.

Unfortunately, more often than not, all those things usually comes a very brash negative ideology that there is only 'one' way to be 'American', 'British', etc. Better known as identity politics. That's where things get nasty. Revisionist of history normally crops into things. Ideology of the past seen as being 'better' than today. All these things, without fail, lead to a misinterpretation of what really makes a country a great place. The people. The diversity. The compassion. The care of one another.

That's what's sad about the rise of nationalism, etc. It divides people. The UK is an absolute mess at the moment. Just as bad if not worse than the US at the moment. There is no healing in sight. At all.

That's why I'm getting out of here. Yes there is no perfect country, but there's better than here.
    It seems to me that Europe is catching up with Balkans, not vice versa. Instead of us embracing "the European values" that you can hear about every once in a while on a TV, totally different scenario is being played.

Europe is literally dividing itself. GB and Spain are perfect examples. Don't get me wrong, but France is not far away, just like Germany.

The diversity thing should be the one to connect us, not the opposite. I freaking enjoy learning about different cultures. In my country there's 3 major nations. That should be the most positive thing about this place, but politicians and some, not all, religious leaders are taking advantage of it for their personal good by spreading lies, fear and causing controversies. So yup, you stole that one from us!
    N_LaRUE and Laura Knotek like this.
    11-15-2017 03:29 AM
    It seems to me that Europe is catching up with Balkans, not vice versa. Instead of us embracing "the European values" that you can hear about every once in a while on a TV, totally different scenario is being played.

Europe is literally dividing itself. GB and Spain are perfect examples. Don't get me wrong, but France is not far away, just like Germany.

The diversity thing should be the one to connect us, not the opposite. I freaking enjoy learning about different cultures. In my country there's 3 major nations. That should be the most positive thing about this place, but politicians and some, not all, religious leaders are taking advantage of it for their personal good by spreading lies, fear and causing controversies. So yup, you stole that one from us!
    I don't think it's as bad as it looks. The UK has had issues for a very long time and the problems here isn't so much on nationalistic identity (though it's managed to wrap itself in) it's more about the divide of the country that's existed since the 80s. The North/South divide of England. The blue collar workers vs the white collar.

It's the fact the government in London (lets be clear here that's the issue) tends to 'forget' the North and only concentrates on the South. So as you can imagine as time has gone by, anger increases. The EU referendum was more than a referendum on the EU, it was one on the UK government and it's inability to service the whole of the UK. However, since the right wing media and talking heads point to the EU for causing the issues, the plebs are angry at the EU instead and EXPECT the UK government to finally notice them. Unfortunately, that's not going to happen. Just look at the news on Brexit and you can see it's not the plan at all.

As for other European countries, I can't say for certain what's going on there. Identity politics is something that continues to linger there and I can understand why but it's not exactly a 'pretty' thing.

I think the Spain issue is overblown. What's going on there is messy for sure but it should be put into perspective. It's an internal Spanish issue brought on by poor political management and some good talking heads in the opposition. Slogans are all great and dandy but they don't put food on the table or provide work. I'm sure that will put a stop things in Spain eventually. Time will tell.

The good out of this is that the majority of countries in the EU still want to be a part of the EU so this is still positive. Does the EU need to change. Yes. How long will that take? Who knows but they better hurry.
    11-15-2017 05:47 AM
    Don't know how majority of US politicians won't admit that the heart of the problem lies within the fact that it's so easy to access guns and weapons.

Not the only thing that's to blame, but surely one of the most important ones.
    "Guns don't kill people; people kill people."

When a culture exists where it's OK when someone snaps for any reason to choose to access a weapon to cause harm to random strangers or known individuals, that's the problem.
    11-15-2017 06:37 AM
    I don't think it's as bad as it looks. The UK has had issues for a very long time and the problems here isn't so much on nationalistic identity (though it's managed to wrap itself in) it's more about the divide of the country that's existed since the 80s. The North/South divide of England. The blue collar workers vs the white collar.

It's the fact the government in London (lets be clear here that's the issue) tends to 'forget' the North and only concentrates on the South. So as you can imagine as time has gone by, anger increases. The EU referendum was more than a referendum on the EU, it was one on the UK government and it's inability to service the whole of the UK. However, since the right wing media and talking heads point to the EU for causing the issues, the plebs are angry at the EU instead and EXPECT the UK government to finally notice them. Unfortunately, that's not going to happen. Just look at the news on Brexit and you can see it's not the plan at all.

As for other European countries, I can't say for certain what's going on there. Identity politics is something that continues to linger there and I can understand why but it's not exactly a 'pretty' thing.

I think the Spain issue is overblown. What's going on there is messy for sure but it should be put into perspective. It's an internal Spanish issue brought on by poor political management and some good talking heads in the opposition. Slogans are all great and dandy but they don't put food on the table or provide work. I'm sure that will put a stop things in Spain eventually. Time will tell.

The good out of this is that the majority of countries in the EU still want to be a part of the EU so this is still positive. Does the EU need to change. Yes. How long will that take? Who knows but they better hurry.
    Spain had issues with separatism for years. First Basque then Catalonia. And I believe you sort of missed my point. I was trying to say that the internal affairs and conflicts could bring EU to their knees.

Mices like Hungaria are opposing Germany and pretty much everyone else. Not the mention the amount of fascism that's been spoken by their premier/president.

France has, if I recall correctly, an alt-right party that stands for the same values as Brexit does. Germany's nationalist got a historical number of votes on the last elections.

It's somewhat fine for now, but in 4-t years, in the time of new elections, who knows what's going to happen.
    Laura Knotek and MSFTisMIA like this.
    11-15-2017 08:04 AM
    I think in 4+ years the world could be a completely different place.

Right wing nationalism is high when people feel left out. Unemployment is high. Opportunities are small. People feel left out. Negative press thrives on these things.

If things get better, people will care less about things like refugees and immigration because they'll feel it doesn't affect them. It's only when times are rough that all this nonsense comes to the surface.

I've been though all this before. It goes in cycles. There's tones of studies on it as well.

It will come down to the economy. If there is a change for the better I expect the far right to diminish, not to disappear, it never does, but to lose power.

As for Independence movements, they'll never go away. Simply because people like to feel unique and believe they're tapping into their history. There's always a limit how far back that history is of course, to justify their uniqueness.

That's how revisionism works. How nationalism works. Call up history, but so long as it fits your agenda.

That's my perspective. History repeating. That's all this is. It's not pretty either.
    11-15-2017 09:01 AM
    On a happier note and different topic. I got taken out to lunch today. Was nice. The person gave me a nice book too.

It's been nice to befriend done nice people.

I also had my exit interview today. I left good feedback. Believe it or not I have the ability to speak without being sarcastic.

11-15-2017 09:06 AM
    On a happier note and different topic. I got taken out to lunch today. Was nice. The person gave me a nice book too.

It's been nice to befriend done nice people.

I also had my exit interview today. I left good feedback. Believe it or not I have the ability to speak without being sarcastic.

Aww cool! That sounds really nice. I know I keep asking but considering that you sold the house and you had your exit interview, it must feel interesting that it is finally almost here. I'm wondering if you feel like it needs to come already or a mix of feelings.
    N_LaRUE and Laura Knotek like this.
    11-15-2017 10:23 AM
    Aww cool! That sounds really nice. I know I keep asking but considering that you sold the house and you had your exit interview, it must feel interesting that it is finally almost here. I'm wondering if you feel like it needs to come already or a mix of feelings.
    Can't get here soon enough to be honest.

Mixed feelings... more to do with the people I know rather than the job or the company but we'll stay in contact.

I'm ready for the change. To meet new people. To do new things. To try something different. :)
    11-15-2017 10:37 AM

Mixed feelings... more to do with the people I know rather than the job or the company but we'll stay in contact.

I'm ready for the change. To meet new people. To do new things. To try something different. :)
    Awesome! I'm excited for you!
    Laura Knotek and N_LaRUE like this.
    11-15-2017 11:31 AM
    I got into the program and I will be starting in January!!!

Phew. Now to sort out all of the graduate/incoming student stuff. I think I'll need to do a half day or something to get some of these moving parts handled. I'm excited and also nervous...
    11-15-2017 11:33 AM

Phew. Now to sort out all of the graduate/incoming student stuff. I think I'll need to do a half day or something to get some of these moving parts handled.
    Congratulations! We knew you'd get in!
    libra89 and Laura Knotek like this.
    11-15-2017 11:35 AM

Phew. Now to sort out all of the graduate/incoming student stuff. I think I'll need to do a half day or something to get some of these moving parts handled. I'm excited and also nervous...
    Congratulations!
    I am so happy for you!
    libra89, Laura Knotek and N_LaRUE like this.
    11-15-2017 11:43 AM

Good luck with everything!
    Sounds exciting.
    libra89, Laura Knotek and N_LaRUE like this.
    11-15-2017 11:43 AM
    Congratulations! We knew you'd get in!
    Congratulations!
    I am so happy for you!
    Thank you both! I can't believe that I made it here, whoa. I graduated undergrad about 3 years ago so the adjustment will be real for me haha.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    11-15-2017 11:45 AM
    "Guns don't kill people; people kill people."

When a culture exists where it's OK when someone snaps for any reason to choose to access a weapon to cause harm to random strangers or known individuals, that's the problem.
    Well if there's a much more controled access to weapons, such personalities would have a tough time finding weapons. Not saying they wouldn't manage to find them at all, cause we know large portion of them would still find the way, but it's about those cases when they wouldn't be able to get guns in their hands, thus sparing number of lifes.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    11-15-2017 11:51 AM
    I think in 4+ years the world could be a completely different place.

Right wing nationalism is high when people feel left out. Unemployment is high. Opportunities are small. People feel left out. Negative press thrives on these things.

If things get better, people will care less about things like refugees and immigration because they'll feel it doesn't affect them. It's only when times are rough that all this nonsense comes to the surface.

I've been though all this before. It goes in cycles. There's tones of studies on it as well.

It will come down to the economy. If there is a change for the better I expect the far right to diminish, not to disappear, it never does, but to lose power.

As for Independence movements, they'll never go away. Simply because people like to feel unique and believe they're tapping into their history. There's always a limit how far back that history is of course, to justify their uniqueness.

That's how revisionism works. How nationalism works. Call up history, but so long as it fits your agenda.

That's my perspective. History repeating. That's all this is. It's not pretty either.
    I agree. Let's just hope the situation does get better. In Europe at least, this **** hole of Balkans is unfixable. Which we can, again, partially thank Europe for.

Beautiful politics.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    11-15-2017 11:54 AM

I wasn't around for quite some time. Quick recap?
    sahib lopez and Laura Knotek like this.
    11-15-2017 11:56 AM
    Pixel 2 - First day experience.

Backstory - I finally DID it. Sold every other phone I had. The only backup device I now have is a Lumia 925! I just reset the Pixel XL that I used for 15 days and packed it to ship it out.

Mini review will be posted first week in December. Next week is Thanksgiving and following week I am in Minnesota for work.

Okay, so on with the initial experience.

Size - Despite being a smidgen taller, this phone feels better ergonomically than the original Pixel. It could be due to the fact that it is slightly thinner and there is no slope from bottom to top on the back cover. Also the case I have is probably the best thin case I have found. I would have liked for them to have stereo speakers and a small chin top and bottom like the Pixel 2 XL though.

Screen - No issues. For that matter, I didn't have any issues with the OG Pixel screen as well.

Speakers - they sound great. No issues. As I said before would have liked a smaller bezel (chin) top and bottom like the Pixel 2 XL.

No headphone jack - biggest gripe. Google's dongle isn't great compared to Apple's and is expensive. Also for some bizarre reason the phone doesn't like my Motorola USB-C dongle. Go figure. I am currently charging my BT headphones and will provide an update about that later. This is probably the biggest disappointment so far.

OS - Fluid, fluid, fluid. This is is definitely snappier and faster on Oreo compared to the OG Pixel. I would say the experience on this device now closely rivals what folks get on iOS and ifruit devices.

Camera - no test driving yet.

Google Assistant using the squeeze function. I can see the benefit of it but so far have mistakenly activated it a couple of times. If it gets annoying then I will turn it off.
    11-15-2017 11:58 AM
143,613 ... 55485549555055515552 ...