Okay so the road trip planning revealed a few things.
    1. Can't do all three places in one circular trip. Just way too much driving and wasting money on hotel rooms.
    2. Better to do three individual trips - long days but should be more fun and allows flexibility in terms of planning.
    3. First up would be Kings Canyon. Leave by 4AM, arrive by 7, hit the sights and take some sun down pictures and be back by 9 PM. Long day but should be fruitful.
    4. Next up would be Death Valley National Park. Same deal, leave at 4AM, arrive by 8AM and leave at sun down. Back home by 10 PM or drive to Redlands to see some friends. Spend night there.
    5. Go to Desert Hot Springs next day for a nice soak.
    6. Go moonlight hiking in Joshua Tree National Park on Dec 30 (offered only on weekend before the full moon).

Well I will narrow something down. May be do one or all three over the break.
    Another option is to go up by Bay Area in which I might go see Big Sur and Half Moon Bay.
    12-20-2017 12:22 PM
    So I finally caved in and slapped Nova Launcher on my V30.
    Final product resembles my old Pixel. Like it a lot.
    Now only if I can figure out the app scaling. Google scales the apps really well on the 5" Pixel. Right now I cannot see any difference on the V30 and the Pixel 2 in terms of content available for viewing even though the former has a screen that is 6" in size!

Update: I did figure out the scaling, what a weird setting LG created for that. Anyway now I am set.
    12-20-2017 12:51 PM
    Good end to a long day. Got to keep the momentum going here...
    libra89 and Laura Knotek like this.
    12-20-2017 05:43 PM
    Good end to a long day. Got to keep the momentum going here...
    Glad to hear that you had a good end to today.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    12-20-2017 06:01 PM
    I just checked the date and I realized that I did both things successfully. I was also able to avoid all tech sites (only visited the forums of AC and WC) and most tech YouTubers for an entire month. My only exceptions were Krystal Lora (formerly Krystal Key) and MrMobile. I was also able to use 1 phone for a month too (noticed this the time this ended a week ago but I figured that I would throw it in there).

MIA was right, I was able to do this after all. I slipped one day earlier this week to leave a comment on a non-phone article (it was more so for an app) but eh.

I missed my tech YouTubers (and the sites) but in this period, I have realized that I watch too many. It is possible to do that for someone like me haha.

If only I can figure out how to do a similar thing in other areas of my life...
    Laura Knotek and sahib lopez like this.
    12-20-2017 06:10 PM
    I guess I'm doing posts in a row again.

Anyway, talking to my friend who also has the SE the other day (we both got ours in the same month in 2016) about how the phone has been for her and how she still loves it after all of this time was interesting to me for reasons some of you may guess already. Of course, I was glad to hear that it's been good for her but aside from that, it had me thinking about contentment.

The same day, we went over to our friend's place who had her 6s stolen and just went back to her 5 (not sure if it's the 5 or 5s actually) years ago and she seems to be still be good with it. I'm sure she has had many chances to upgrade but chose not to.

How's it like to be content with a device for so long? I think I actually forgot.

(In the time of my SE ownership, it's always been reliable as a fallback but at the same time, half of the time, I was waiting for the next thing to try xd)
    12-20-2017 06:30 PM
    I just checked the date and I realized that I did both things successfully. I was also able to avoid all tech sites (only visited the forums of AC and WC) and most tech YouTubers for an entire month. My only exceptions were Krystal Lora (formerly Krystal Key) and MrMobile. I was also able to use 1 phone for a month too (noticed this the time this ended a week ago but I figured that I would throw it in there).

MIA was right, I was able to do this after all. I slipped one day earlier this week to leave a comment on a non-phone article (it was more so for an app) but eh.

I missed my tech YouTubers (and the sites) but in this period, I have realized that I watch too many. It is possible to do that for someone like me haha.

If only I can figure out how to do a similar thing in other areas of my life...
    Just follow the same blueprint you did for tech in the other life areas you want to use it in...
    12-20-2017 09:28 PM
    Some interesting looking clouds rolling in today evening. No rain though and the Santa Ana winds are still going bonkers.
    Laura Knotek, N_LaRUE and libra89 like this.
    12-20-2017 10:37 PM
    New art projects everyday this week on winter break.
    Laura Knotek and libra89 like this.
    12-20-2017 10:38 PM
    Merry Christmas everyone!
    12-20-2017 10:38 PM
    Some interesting looking clouds rolling in today evening. No rain though and the Santa Ana winds are still going bonkers.https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...5e27657f6a.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...be80afddd3.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...1d1f7301c2.jpg
    Great pictures!☺️
    libra89 likes this.
    12-21-2017 02:53 AM
    I got a new toy! Check out this thread: https://forums.windowscentral.com/sh...=1#post3725396

I had a hornet in my apartment last Friday, despite the cold weather. Hornet is dead, since I hit it with a towel I snapped, like done in high school gym class. However, said hornet was on the screen of my old Asus laptop. Screen was collateral damage and shattered. It wasn't worthwhile for me to buy a screen for a 4 year-old machine, so this new computer is what I ordered.
    worldspy99, N_LaRUE and libra89 like this.
    12-21-2017 02:58 AM
    Just follow the same blueprint you did for tech in the other life areas you want to use it in...
    True, but for some reason, it feels easier to do it with things I have full control over things with less control.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    12-21-2017 06:35 AM
    I got a new toy! Check out this thread: https://forums.windowscentral.com/sh...=1#post3725396

I had a hornet in my apartment last Friday, despite the cold weather. Hornet is dead, since I hit it with a towel I snapped, like done in high school gym class. However, said hornet was on the screen of my old Asus laptop. Screen was collateral damage and shattered. It wasn't worthwhile for me to buy a screen for a 4 year-old machine, so this new computer is what I ordered.
    Ooh please let us know how you like it!
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    12-21-2017 06:35 AM
    Already having school related nightmares and it's December.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    12-21-2017 06:36 AM
    One more day...just another long one...
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    12-21-2017 07:48 AM
    Already having school related nightmares and it's December.
    You'll find your way through. We all in these parts have confidence in you.
    12-21-2017 07:50 AM
    You'll find your way through. We all in these parts have confidence in you.
    Thank you.

Of course it will be an adjustment but I think the part that is probably scary to my subconscious is that SO many are hoping for me to do this successfully. My mom literally told me that she doesn't want a Christmas present because she got one from me by going to grad school. The lady that essentially started my career is super excited and pulling for me, and my boss too.

I have also had previous school struggles too and that is rolling in as well. My subconscious is having a time. I remember being in my last semester near the end and I was having recurring nightmares that I failed...even though that wasn't possible technically since I had great grades at midterm but you're right, I can do it.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    12-21-2017 08:17 AM
    Last day of work before January 2, 2018.
    Excited. Instead of stressing out, I'll just bring my work laptop home.
    12-21-2017 09:08 AM
    Last day of work before January 2, 2018.
    Excited. Instead of stressing out, I'll just bring my work laptop home.
    Same! I mean about the last day, not the work computer lol
    raycpl and Laura Knotek like this.
    12-21-2017 09:12 AM
    Thank you.

Of course it will be an adjustment but I think the part that is probably scary to my subconscious is that SO many are hoping for me to do this successfully. My mom literally told me that she doesn't want a Christmas present because she got one from me by going to grad school. The lady that essentially started my career is super excited and pulling for me, and my boss too.

I have also had previous school struggles too and that is rolling in as well. My subconscious is having a time. I remember being in my last semester near the end and I was having recurring nightmares that I failed...even though that wasn't possible technically since I had great grades at midterm but you're right, I can do it.
    I may encourage you find your own space to process previous school struggles. I'm not suggesting therapy, but some sort of therapeutic space (therapy/mentor/religious elder, etc) may be helpful.

Graduate school is stressful on its own, so managing other stressors makes a difference.
    12-21-2017 10:26 AM
    Thank you.

You're doing this for yourself, not your mom or mentor. If grad school defines you, then what were you before? Chin up!! Always up!!

Sent from my Lumia 950XL on mTalk
    12-21-2017 01:08 PM
    So after about 24 hours of using the V30 with the Nova Launcher (looking kinda like my Pixel 2), I came to the conclusion that it might not be a bad idea to get the Pixel 2 XL after all.

Ergo in the holiday spirit season, I decided to spoil myself and bought a Black Pixel 2 XL.

I will give you guys an update in the new year as to how things are.

Now I need to offload a bunch of phones since now I have officially parked way too much cash in devices :-)
    12-21-2017 01:45 PM
    Thank you.

Grad school was one of the most enriching and fun time in my life.
    It was a very humbling experience as well. Some really terrible setbacks - If I look back with the knowledge/experience acquired since graduation almost 2 decades ago - which I though I handled with a lot more enthusiasm and optimism than I would do today.

In the end I thought I came out ahead in a lot of ways - financially, mentally and socially. I made some really great friends that I still keep in touch with - went to all of their weddings. Was able to do some really cool research which is relevant even today. Learnt how to recover from setbacks on my own since I was here by myself.

I think if you decide you want to approach grad school with an attitude that this time is going to be something that will be with you forever then I think you will do well in school and have fun as well.

Good luck and stay positive. Always.
    12-21-2017 01:51 PM
    I may encourage you find your own space to process previous school struggles. I'm not suggesting therapy, but some sort of therapeutic space (therapy/mentor/religious elder, etc) may be helpful.

Graduate school is stressful on its own, so managing other stressors makes a difference.
    I will think about it, thanks.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    12-21-2017 04:01 PM
142,823 ... 55995600560156025603 ...