You're doing this for yourself, not your mom or mentor. If grad school defines you, then what were you before? Chin up!! Always up!!

Sent from my Lumia 950XL on mTalk
    Thanks, you're so right about that.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    12-21-2017 04:02 PM
    So after about 24 hours of using the V30 with the Nova Launcher (looking kinda like my Pixel 2), I came to the conclusion that it might not be a bad idea to get the Pixel 2 XL after all.

Ergo in the holiday spirit season, I decided to spoil myself and bought a Black Pixel 2 XL.

I will give you guys an update in the new year as to how things are.

Now I need to offload a bunch of phones since now I have officially parked way too much cash in devices :-)
    Ooh nice! You were halfway to the Pixel 2 XL anyway.
    Congrats, I'll be looking forward to the update!
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    12-21-2017 04:04 PM
    Grad school was one of the most enriching and fun time in my life.
    It was a very humbling experience as well. Some really terrible setbacks - If I look back with the knowledge/experience acquired since graduation almost 2 decades ago - which I though I handled with a lot more enthusiasm and optimism than I would do today.

In the end I thought I came out ahead in a lot of ways - financially, mentally and socially. I made some really great friends that I still keep in touch with - went to all of their weddings. Was able to do some really cool research which is relevant even today. Learnt how to recover from setbacks on my own since I was here by myself.

I think if you decide you want to approach grad school with an attitude that this time is going to be something that will be with you forever then I think you will do well in school and have fun as well.

Good luck and stay positive. Always.
    Wow. Thank you for sharing that viewpoint and your experience.

You're so right about the attitude. Also thank you for the luck as well.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    12-21-2017 04:07 PM
    12-21-2017 04:34 PM
    11 day vacation Starts Now
    12-21-2017 04:44 PM
    Got my OG Pixel trade in kit today. It's so much better now. I'm debating if I should send it tomorrow or the day after Christmas. The latter is way less busy. From my location, it seems like it needs 3 days to get there.
    Last edited by libra89; 12-21-2017 at 07:09 PM. Reason: forgot a word
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    12-21-2017 05:13 PM
    Got my OG Pixel trade in kit today. It's so much better now. I'm debating if I should send it tomorrow or the day after Christmas. The latter is way less busy. From my location, it seems like needs 3 days to get there.
    Which ever works best for your schedule.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    12-21-2017 05:20 PM
    Which ever works best for your schedule.
    This is true. I'm off tomorrow so I'll do it then. I'll feel better that way since I know they will get it Tuesday.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    12-21-2017 05:34 PM
    Grad school was one of the most enriching and fun time in my life.
    It was a very humbling experience as well. Some really terrible setbacks - If I look back with the knowledge/experience acquired since graduation almost 2 decades ago - which I though I handled with a lot more enthusiasm and optimism than I would do today.

In the end I thought I came out ahead in a lot of ways - financially, mentally and socially. I made some really great friends that I still keep in touch with - went to all of their weddings. Was able to do some really cool research which is relevant even today. Learnt how to recover from setbacks on my own since I was here by myself.

I think if you decide you want to approach grad school with an attitude that this time is going to be something that will be with you forever then I think you will do well in school and have fun as well.

Good luck and stay positive. Always.
    Ibid.

While I disliked the days of dealing with the cold nights and those long days of work + long commute + classes, juggling stressful work days and intense readings and discussions, it was very helpful.

The best part about it was reinforcing the choices I made as far off sticking with my current profession. As tired as I may be with my current job, my professional tolerance is even higher and my ability to work under pressure and at a more frentic pace is better because of graduate school.

I hope your graduate experience is as formative in your own ways as mine was for me and 99's was for him.
    12-21-2017 09:27 PM
    Ibid.

While I disliked the days of dealing with the cold nights and those long days of work + long commute + classes, juggling stressful work days and intense readings and discussions, it was very helpful.

The best part about it was reinforcing the choices I made as far off sticking with my current profession. As tired as I may be with my current job, my professional tolerance is even higher and my ability to work under pressure and at a more frentic pace is better because of graduate school.

I hope your graduate experience is as formative in your own ways as mine was for me and 99's was for him.
    This is interesting to read, thank you for also sharing that and also thank you for the hopes. I will find out, and also allow myself to be really open to the experience.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    12-21-2017 09:30 PM
    True, but for some reason, it feels easier to do it with things I have full control over things with less control.
    I get you, but you'd be surprised the some of the things we feel aren't within our control actually are, and vice versa.

The trick is to figuring out which is which and to work accordingly.
    libra89 and Laura Knotek like this.
    12-21-2017 10:39 PM
    So after about 24 hours of using the V30 with the Nova Launcher (looking kinda like my Pixel 2), I came to the conclusion that it might not be a bad idea to get the Pixel 2 XL after all.

Ergo in the holiday spirit season, I decided to spoil myself and bought a Black Pixel 2 XL.

I will give you guys an update in the new year as to how things are.

Now I need to offload a bunch of phones since now I have officially parked way too much cash in devices :-)
    Sounds like ALL are for sale...
    libra89 and Laura Knotek like this.
    12-21-2017 10:40 PM
    Of course, there must be a very good reason...

... !
    12-21-2017 10:46 PM
    Sounds like ALL are for sale...
    Yup, but I need to keep at least two of them.
    The rest are for sale
    Laura Knotek and libra89 like this.
    12-22-2017 01:01 AM
    Well I went ice skating yesterday for the first time in about 10 years. I can go and turn and stop but can't go backwards or anything advanced like that. It was amazingly great fun to the point where I'd really like to buy a pair of skates and start going more regularly but it's like a minefield out there with so much information it's hard to know what's the best fit.

Crazy! Anyone else here been / like ice skating?
    12-22-2017 02:11 AM
    Well I went ice skating yesterday for the first time in about 10 years. I can go and turn and stop but can't go backwards or anything advanced like that. It was amazingly great fun to the point where I'd really like to buy a pair of skates and start going more regularly but it's like a minefield out there with so much information it's hard to know what's the best fit.

My kid goes ice skating. I tried it a couple of times.
    MSFTisMIA likes this.
    12-22-2017 02:58 AM

Good luck! I tried ice skating as a kid but was never able to stay upright very long.
    libra89 likes this.
    12-22-2017 02:59 AM

Did it during my uni days in Ottawa. For someone who grew up in the tropics, winter, snow & Christmas is quite an experience.
    The water level of the Rideau canal is always lowered enough to freeze over.. Managed to learn to skate a bit, slightly different from roller skating!!
    ... and it was freezing!! Coldest I experienced was -40C in a storm c/w bone shattering wind-chills.

... !
    12-22-2017 04:15 AM

I'm from Canada... Need I say more?

I"ve been skating since I was 4 years old. Haven't been for some time now though.

My thoughts on skates is simple. Buy the best you can afford like most things. Always best to try them on in person. Skates will always require sharpening so keep that in mind. Oil them when not in use to prevent rust.

I've always been a fan of Bauer skates myself.

Apparently the Bauer Supreme S140 are good for recreational skating even though they're a hockey skate.

The better fit the more control you have of your skating. Laces are better than Velcro straps.

These Bauer's have a heat moulding to your foot so they're optimal for beginners and recreational users.

Probably the biggest mistake anyone makes when buying skates is being the wrong size and then they're uncomfortable.

That's my thoughts anyway.
    Last edited by N_LaRUE; 12-22-2017 at 09:49 AM.
    12-22-2017 05:31 AM

There are actually a few ice skating rinks down here, I guess they want to make the snowbirds feel at home. I found ice skating to be easier than roller skating just as I found snow skiing infinitely easier than water skiing.
    MSFTisMIA and Laura Knotek like this.
    12-22-2017 07:00 AM
    Skiing on grass?
    (I mean green grass, not the "herb")

... !
    12-22-2017 07:21 AM
    20 minutes to boarding for my flight home.

Cylone Kai-Tak is moving in the region but, I'm glad it is far away still ..

... !
    12-22-2017 07:26 AM
    Yup, but I need to keep at least two of them.
    The rest are for sale
    Have you decided those two yet?
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    12-22-2017 07:43 AM
    Skiing on grass?
    (I mean green grass, not the "herb")

... !
    Done that too, in my younger years. 😝

Sent from my Lumia 950XL on mTalk
    libra89, Laura Knotek and raycpl like this.
    12-22-2017 07:43 AM
    Wow I came like 20 minutes early to the post office to a mostly empty lot, so now I'm just waiting for it to open lol. I thought there would be more people waiting on the last day to ship express.
    fatclue_98 and Laura Knotek like this.
    12-22-2017 07:46 AM
143,631 ... 56005601560256035604 ...