The same changes that you mentioned a couple months back or are these different ones?
    A mix of both. We'll see what happens.
    libra89 likes this.
    01-15-2018 09:48 PM
    A mix of both. We'll see what happens.
    Gotcha. I wish you the best with them.
    MSFTisMIA likes this.
    01-15-2018 09:50 PM
    Gotcha. I wish you the best with them.
    I hope they work out too.
    libra89 likes this.
    01-15-2018 09:50 PM
    I missed typing on the WM10 keyboard.
    Outside of the camera this Idol 4s is quite nice.

Sent from mTalk
    N_LaRUE, libra89 and sahib lopez like this.
    01-15-2018 10:54 PM
    2018 is going to be a long, interesting and hopefully worth it year.
    You're not kidding there...

It's going to be a really interesting year for sure. It's already interesting!
    libra89 likes this.
    01-16-2018 01:40 AM
    You ain't kidding. We're so busy with new work that I'll be interviewing this week (I hate interviewing BTW) for at least 1 CAD person and 2 Assistant PMs.
    I've done a lot of interviews. I've thankfully haven't done the other direction.

What industry are you in? I'm an electrical designer but I do CAD work as well. I'm setting myself up as a freelancer in France. I work with AutoCAD.
    01-16-2018 01:43 AM
    I've done a lot of interviews. I've thankfully haven't done the other direction.

What industry are you in? I'm an electrical designer but I do CAD work as well. I'm setting myself up as a freelancer in France. I work with AutoCAD.
    Mechanical, plumbing and storm water. South Florida is a weird market in that mechanical has been separated into its own division so I don't mess around with it anymore. Revit is slowly replacing CAD just as BlueBeam is slowly phasing Adobe PDF out to pasture. I'm old school, give me a set of vellums and I'll build you a hi-rise to the moon.
    N_LaRUE and Laura Knotek like this.
    01-16-2018 06:14 AM
    Mechanical, plumbing and storm water. South Florida is a weird market in that mechanical has been separated into its own division so I don't mess around with it anymore. Revit is slowly replacing CAD just as BlueBeam is slowly phasing Adobe PDF out to pasture. I'm old school, give me a set of vellums and I'll build you a hi-rise to the moon.
    My industry moved towards SmartPlant and Aveva. Revit seems to be targeted to buildings. All BIM stuff.

Never heard of BlueBeam. Looks good though.

Mechanical is usually it's own department in my industry.

Funny how industries are different
    fatclue_98 and Laura Knotek like this.
    01-16-2018 07:49 AM
    My industry moved towards SmartPlant and Aveva. Revit seems to be targeted to buildings. All BIM stuff.

Never heard of BlueBeam. Looks good though.

Mechanical is usually it's own department in my industry.

Funny how industries are different
    BIM is a four-letter word. What makes it harder is that people who know CAD, Revit or any other design/build program have no working knowledge of the industry and field guys barely know how to open a flip phone. Not to toot my horn but I'm a rarity in that I have a working knowledge of the software and over 30 years of field experience. It's also why I'm overworked, like to drink and have heart disease.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    01-16-2018 08:51 AM
    BIM is a four-letter word. What makes it harder is that people who know CAD, Revit or any other design/build program have no working knowledge of the industry and field guys barely know how to open a flip phone. Not to toot my horn but I'm a rarity in that I have a working knowledge of the software and over 30 years of field experience. It's also why I'm overworked, like to drink and have heart disease.
    My industry used to be about experience. However with offshoring were now going that way as well. People with CAD and computers skills and not much else.

I've heard in the US it's been like that for some time though.

I know a few people who worked in the US and we're startled when they found out the people there had little to no qualifications.

Sad state of affairs really. I'm of the belief that my industry will eventually be 100% offshore. All jobs will be there and you'll only have the choice of working there or not working. That my thoughts anyway. It's only a matter of time.

UK, USA and Australia are simply too expensive. I suspect engineer jobs will be few and far between. At least in the fields I worked in.
    Laura Knotek and fatclue_98 like this.
    01-16-2018 02:06 PM
    Work has become a partial puddle today.

It comes with working at a hospital but it still hits hard...
    Laura Knotek and N_LaRUE like this.
    01-16-2018 03:12 PM
    The one good thing from today was feedback from a client.

So I referred a client for a service in another department that ultimately she was determined to be ineligible for. When I followed up with the client, she started raving how the colleague in the other department talked about how gentlemanly I was in doing the referral.

So here am I enjoying my collar popped a little bit and the actual colleague sends me the generic "nameless email stating the client was ineligible".

#bubblebursting #deadlunchdatefantasy
    libra89 and Laura Knotek like this.
    01-16-2018 04:00 PM
    My industry used to be about experience.
    Not anymore. Companies only want the alphabet soup behind your name for the sake of appearances and they leave the grumpy old guys like me to get the jobs done.
    01-16-2018 06:17 PM
    So no 8.0 for the Honor 8. And I really liked that little phone too...just sad.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    01-16-2018 09:17 PM
    Can't trust Huawei to update devices anymore. My MediaPad M3 is still stuck on May 2017 security patch.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    01-16-2018 09:21 PM
    Can't trust Huawei to update devices anymore. My MediaPad M3 is still stuck on May 2017 security patch.
    That's the thing with them. Hardware is gorgeous but support support is questionable. This is why I prefer Xiaomi. Even though they aren't that fast with updates, at least in beta you get weekly updates that work on tweaking the software.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    01-16-2018 09:25 PM
    That's the thing with them. Hardware is gorgeous but support support is questionable. This is why I prefer Xiaomi. Even though they aren't that fast with updates, at least in beta you get weekly updates that work on tweaking the software.
    You are being too generous by using the term 'questionable'. I rate them as atrocious.

I like Xiaomi, they generally provide people with regular security patch updates and at least one OS update.

Huawei isn't helping it's cause with the Mate 10Pro with his Honor 8 debacle.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    01-16-2018 09:27 PM
    You are being too generous by using the term 'questionable'. I rate them as atrocious.

I like Xiaomi, they generally provide people with regular security patch updates and at least one OS update.

Huawei isn't helping it's cause with the Mate 10Pro with his Honor 8 debacle.
    Moto is atrocious. Huawei is a little step up, questionable. LG has no clue and Samsung takes their own time.

Yup, software updates is a mess.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    01-16-2018 09:29 PM
    Moto is atrocious. Huawei is a little step up, questionable. LG has no clue and Samsung takes their own time.

Yup, software updates is a mess.
    Moto is pure garbage about OS updates. I can see why they have fire sales all the time. LG is lost. They might as well become a Google OEM. Samsung just does enough with the flagship devices and then nada.

Yeah, Android land software updates are a fuster cluck.
    01-16-2018 09:33 PM
    I was disappointed to hear that too. It's weird since apparently the Honor 8 Pro and Lite are getting it but not the regular one.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    01-16-2018 09:38 PM
    Moto is pure garbage about OS updates. I can see why they have fire sales all the time. LG is lost. They might as well become a Google OEM. Samsung just does enough with the flagship devices and then nada.

Yeah, Android land software updates are a fuster cluck.
    LG I just don't get. At least HTC has decided that if they're gonna sink, they'll do it their way. The V series is a nice idea. At this point I feel they need to get out of Samsung's lap and cater to a smaller, budget conscious audience. If LG did that, it would cut OnePlus sales in half, relegating them to the dev/enthusiast crowd.

Just launch the V series in the fall and a no frills budget flagship/upper mid ranger in the spring...and be on top of the updates!
    01-16-2018 09:40 PM
    I was disappointed to hear that too. It's weird since apparently the Honor 8 Pro and Lite are getting it but not the regular one.
    That's laziness on their part. I liked the Mate 9 but they took eons to update it.
    01-16-2018 09:40 PM
    That's laziness on their part. I liked the Mate 9 but they took eons to update it.
    The MediaPad M3 shares the hardware with Mate 9. It got one update in August to Nougat with a May 2017 security patch update and then it's crickets.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    01-16-2018 09:42 PM
    The MediaPad M3 shares the hardware with Mate 9. It got one update in August to Nougat with a May 2017 security patch update and then it's crickets.
    You know, even Sony is good with updates now. That's a hell of a thing.

But there is one group of people I blame, honestly.
    01-16-2018 09:43 PM
    This is one area where I gotta give props to Apple. They don't mistreat their tablets
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    01-16-2018 09:45 PM
144,455 ... 56205621562256235624 ...