I don't see much available that's a fit for me, really. Too many compromises. Just have to settle for things I don't want to.
    I think if Google hadn't abandoned the headphone jack it would be a device with the fewest compromises for me.
    Laura Knotek and libra89 like this.
    02-27-2018 11:29 PM
    So I saw the Mate 10 Pro.

Love the hardware. Don't like the software or the screen.

That is all.
    I don't love the price either.
    I'm still hoping that I get to sample it via my source.
    02-27-2018 11:30 PM
    In the grand scheme of things, the V30 is the closest. I just have to cobble along with what I have.
    V30 was a good device.
    Software experience wasn't as smooth as the Pixel despite Nova Launcher. Oh and the camera wasn't as good either. Otherwise solid device outside of those two issues.
    02-27-2018 11:31 PM
    What a morning... Up and early, taking it a slow drive to work... and yet hit into the rear of the the car in front. My fault entire, didn't realise the slow down and I braked too late....

>No one was hurt. Thankfully it was a minor bumper-kiss!!
    >air-bags didn't pop up!!
    >found that making a police report takes half the morning. Not that it was complicated but there wasn't anyone maning the counter.
    >its a funny way to bump into an old co-worker from my department.
    >you can be in automobile accident and still be settled in a very civil way...

Gonna miss my car for a least a week..

... !
    02-27-2018 11:45 PM
    What a morning... Up and early, taking it a slow drive to work... and yet hit into the rear of the the car in front. My fault entire, didn't realise the slow down and I braked too late....

>No one was hurt. Thankfully it was a minor bumper-kiss!!
    >air-bags didn't pop up!!
    >found that making a police report takes half the morning. Not that it was complicated but there wasn't anyone maning the counter.
    >its a funny way to bump into an old co-worker from my department.
    >you can be in automobile accident and still be settled in a very civil way...

Gonna miss my car for a least a week..

... !
    I'm sorry to hear about this and hope it won't be expensive with the insurance and repairs.

I'm glad nobody was injured.
    N_LaRUE, raycpl, libra89 and 1 others like this.
    02-28-2018 12:53 AM
    I'm sorry to hear about this and hope it won't be expensive with the insurance and repairs.

I'm glad nobody was injured.
    Thank Laura..
    The city planners absolutely messed up at the site. Imagine you're driving, the traffic light is green, and you accelerate and crossed the junction. Then less 100 feet away, there is set of lights for pedestrian crossing.

Its one of the heaviest used road in the city. They could have moved the pedestrian crossing to the junction or put in a overhead bridge.

Yeah, its covered by insurance. But its my first accident ever that I am responsible for, since started driving way back in '82... !
    Laura Knotek, libra89 and N_LaRUE like this.
    02-28-2018 02:37 AM
    In the grand scheme of things, the V30 is the closest. I just have to cobble along with what I have.
    That makes sense for you, because you care a lot for audio and the camera experience. Any thoughts on the V30S+?
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    02-28-2018 07:23 AM
    That makes sense for you, because you care a lot for audio and the camera experience. Any thoughts on the V30S+?
    Overpriced and not enough added. If they had improved the FFC, then it would be easier to stomach.

The best part about the V30S line is it can help make the V30 cheaper.
    libra89 and Laura Knotek like this.
    02-28-2018 07:26 AM
    Wait it out a month. SE2 might be out in April and by that time the XZ2 will have dropped in price as well.
    You're right, this time I will. SE2 rumors have recently bounced to WWDC (which I doubt will happen).
    02-28-2018 07:35 AM
    Overpriced and not enough added. If they had improved the FFC, then it would be easier to stomach.

The best part about the V30S line is it can help make the V30 cheaper.
    Gotcha. I can agree with you on the lack of additions.
    02-28-2018 07:40 AM
    I think if Google hadn't abandoned the headphone jack it would be a device with the fewest compromises for me.
    The headphone jack being removed is grinding me. It's crazy that Samsung is (basically) alone with keeping it for a flagship.

I'm disappointed in Sony, since they pulled a Google (and "originally", Apple) with removing it to sell their own wireless ones. Dongle life, yay.
    02-28-2018 07:42 AM
    I'm sure come next year Samsung will be removing the headphone jack (LG too)

I've been talking about the jack here ad nauseum. I'd prefer USB-C audio to be standardized, but since Google didn't set the standard up properly, we have this mess.

I'll get either a HTC 10 or a V30 for the audio prowess and call it a day. People should stop being surprised about this happening. OEMs know that less people care about the jack, so they're removing it.
    02-28-2018 10:27 AM
    I'm sure come next year Samsung will be removing the headphone jack (LG too)

I've been talking about the jack here ad nauseum. I'd prefer USB-C audio to be standardized, but since Google didn't set the standard up properly, we have this mess.

I'll get either a HTC 10 or a V30 for the audio prowess and call it a day. People should stop being surprised about this happening. OEMs know that less people care about the jack, so they're removing it.
    I agree about the mess. I guess I should be less surprised but as you have mentioned, the mess that it left behind is terrible and confusing. I have somewhat accepted it but I find it easier to accept on the Apple side of things because they still include a set in the box.
    02-28-2018 11:18 AM
    It's starting to seem like we lost the jack and started to gain a notch instead...
    worldspy99, raycpl and sahib lopez like this.
    02-28-2018 03:56 PM
    It's starting to seem like we lost the jack and started to gain a notch instead...
    Personally, I'm tired of people ******** about the "goddamn notch". They ***** about bezels in the same way.

It's as annoying as watching the current President reading cue cards on how to be empathetic.
    02-28-2018 05:22 PM
    Personally, I'm tired of people ******** about the "goddamn notch". They ***** about bezels in the same way.

It's as annoying as watching the current President reading cue cards on how to be empathetic.
    I can get why you say that about the bezels. I'm indifferent about bezels so I stand with Juan Bagnell. At least bezels align. The notch just ruins the aesthetic for me. Imo, the way Essential did it is preferred.

LOL @ at your final statement.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    02-28-2018 05:25 PM

I wish these sniveling little snots would explain how to have front mounted speakers, front cameras and sensor arrays without bezels or notches.

Regarding Dump #45 , he's not nearly as annoying as those who are enabling him. He does make me reach for the bottle of Imodium though.
    libra89, Laura Knotek and N_LaRUE like this.
    02-28-2018 07:13 PM
    02-28-2018 08:21 PM
    I wish these sniveling little snots would explain how to have front mounted speakers, front cameras and sensor arrays without bezels or notches.

Regarding Dump #45 , he's not nearly as annoying as those who are enabling him. He does make me reach for the bottle of Imodium though.
    It's just a hot mess with him in there. And we have another 2+ years left.
    libra89 likes this.
    02-28-2018 08:29 PM
    The radio situation is a bit better. I've left it on full LTE for now.

I'd like to get the proper update, but I honestly don't think it'll make a difference.
    libra89 likes this.
    02-28-2018 08:31 PM
    I want to read it but it wouldn't let me see with the pay wall.

Edit: Also weirdly enough, I was looking at a certain refurbished phone tonight before seeing this link. I didn't cave but I have thought about it on and off.
    02-28-2018 08:46 PM
    The radio situation is a bit better. I've left it on full LTE for now.

I'd like to get the proper update, but I honestly don't think it'll make a difference.
    I'm glad to hear that it has improved somewhat.
    02-28-2018 08:47 PM
    This. I'm tired of reviewers whinging about bezels and the iPhone X's notch. Complaints like, "Bezels are so 2016," are really, really stupid. Who do they think they are and who the #### determines this? These "arguments" are trite and some others are downright snarky. Just get over it!

When I think of Donald Trump *shudder* I am reminded of this prescient quote from Portal 2: "He's not just a regular moron. He's the product of the greatest minds of a generation working together with the express purpose of building the dumbest moron who ever lived. And you just put him in charge of the entire facility."

Thanks, America.
    02-28-2018 11:43 PM
    This. I'm tired of reviewers whinging about bezels and the iPhone X's notch. Complaints like, "Bezels are so 2016," are really, really stupid. Who do they think they are and who the #### determines this? These "arguments" are trite and some others are downright snarky. Just get over it!

When I think of Donald Trump *shudder* I am reminded of this prescient quote from Portal 2: "He's not just a regular moron. He's the product of the greatest minds of a generation working together with the express purpose of building the dumbest moron who ever lived. And you just put him in charge of the entire facility."

Thanks, America.
    I don't think Mr. Trump considers himself to be a regular moron. I think he may think he's one of the best morons around.

The only thing I like with less bezels means bigger screens in a more compact frame. Other than that, if the bezels means things like front facing speakers, front fingerprint scanner placement, I'm OK with it.
    fatclue_98 and libra89 like this.
    03-01-2018 06:07 AM
    I'll continue to say this: if you strip away the theatrics, Mr. Trump is an old school authoritarianism style politrickian. Because of how things are set up here with the system of checks and balances, it is necessary to have someone strong enough to try to "challenge the system" in the eyes of certain elements of the public in order to push through old school agendas.

The dude might be a moron, but he isn't a dummy. Which makes him one of the more dangerous types.
    N_LaRUE likes this.
    03-01-2018 06:29 AM
143,557 ... 56565657565856595660 ...