WC 1M Post Challenge - You Ready?!

azcruz

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site
WC 150K Post Challenge - You Ready?!

Oh, and for good measure, the optical drive doesn't open or close when I've turned on the unit.

I think I'm not connecting something right here. Anyways, I'm going to sleep.

Approved by Z3 Tablet Compact!

For me, I'd deal with that later. Have to check bios settings first.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site
Re: WC 150K Post Challenge - You Ready?!

Power on with a primary power supply, motherboard only, minimal memory. Don't know how many banks he purchased.

Here's the kit I bought. What you see is what I have, along with a SSD drive.

http://t.tigerdirect.com/products/9597662

I'll try it in the morning with the main power supply connected only, and see what happens.

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site

For me, I'd deal with that later. Have to check bios settings first.

The monitor isn't responding so I cannot get into BIOS at all. I'm going to use these suggestions when I get up in a few hours. Want to fix this so it doesn't cost me money to compensate the GF who is nagging me about not buying a laptop instead.

azcruz

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site

The monitor isn't responding so I cannot get into BIOS at all. I'm going to use these suggestions when I get up in a few hours. Want to fix this so it doesn't cost me money to compensate the GF who is nagging me about not buying a laptop instead.

Looks like the motherboard has multiple video, I'd try the others too.

The Intel NUC I assembled won't auto detect a display port with an adapter when booted up, but does on power on. They have their own intricacies.

sahib lopez

Apr 29, 2013
Visit site

If he's not getting the three beeps, the motherboard went to POST and sees the memory. That should be enough to get to the bios.

but if he cant see the post screen that means something isn't seated right ( stated the obvious) in my mobo it doesn't beep if it doesn't detect the ram. the only indication that its not working is that my screens will not turn on and my fans spin at 100%. could it be the ram?

azcruz

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site

but if he cant see the post screen that means something isn't seated right ( stated the obvious) in my mobo it doesn't beep if it doesn't detect the ram. the only indication that its not working is that my screens will not turn on and my fans spin at 100%. I think it could be the ram

I don't know of any motherboard that will POST without a memory board. Could be.

sahib lopez

Apr 29, 2013
Visit site

I don't know of any motherboard that will POST without a memory board. Could be.

maybe he can try moving the memory DIMM to another slot and see if his computers post( after trying your solution :p)

worldspy99

Nov 10, 2013
Visit site

Okay so to derail the thread, here is a weird thought. I know MSFTisMIA is going to get all riled up but if he had just bought a fruit stand device he can just walk into the store and get a Genius Bar person to take care of this issue!
Standard disclaimer: First born required as a deposit if you want anything from the fruit stand😀

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site

If folks have other suggestions, just post them and I'll follow up in a few hours. Thanks again for everyone's help so far.

My suggestion would be to start from scratch and do a bit at a time. There's been many a time where I thought I did things right only to find I made some silly little error. Usually with the front panel connections.

My suggestion would be to try a different RAM slot as sometimes the MB can be picky. Try slot 1 or 2, then 3 or 4.
Make sure the front panel connections are correct. They're always painful.
The fan and power connections are right.
Don't connect the HD or the CD-ROM

You can turn the board on without the CPU to see if it starts up. You can also try clearing the CMOS (there's usually a jumper that shorts it out or take the battery out) If you happen to have a spare battery sometimes those BIOS batteries are dead.

Once you can turn it on without HD and CD-ROM then add the HD first. I've often found CD-ROMs to be a pain. Check the jumpers on the back to make sure it's in the right place, if the device has jumpers.

There's always the possibility of faulty components. Unfortunately trying to troubleshoot which one(s) it could be can be difficult which is why it's handy to have another PC on hand to test components.

If there is anything faulty my guess would be either the MB or the PS. Usual suspects.

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site

Morning folks. This computer thing has been frustrating so far. I'm going to head home and finish up the stuff for my day first. If I get everything done on time, I may try to come back and work on it.

This is when me living as far away as I do really is a pain in the ***.

Posted via Xperia Z3

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site
I'm seriously tempted to tell the GF to return the stuff for the barebones kit. I may work on it one more time, but then if that fails, cut the losses and just send it back.

Posted via Xperia Z3

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site

Okay so to derail the thread, here is a weird thought. I know MSFTisMIA is going to get all riled up but if he had just bought a fruit stand device he can just walk into the store and get a Genius Bar person to take care of this issue!
Standard disclaimer: First born required as a deposit if you want anything from the fruit stand😀

There are no geniuses to be found at a Genius Bar...especially in an Apple store.

Posted via Xperia Z3

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site

I'm seriously tempted to tell the GF to return the stuff for the barebones kit. I may work on it one more time, but then if that fails, cut the losses and just send it back.

Posted via Xperia Z3

I think this may happen because if I remember correctly, they may have sent me the wrong hard drive - I believe I ordered a 1TB but was sent a 100GB. More research on this MB stated that it'll run the SSD types slower. I'll go by the GF on Wednesday to box it all up.

Posted via Xperia Z3

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site

Looks like it got quiet around here. I'll just take the hint and follow along.

worldspy99

Nov 10, 2013
Visit site

Okay, so the lemon just came back from the dealer. After the dash replacement somehow the audio went away from the radio/CD/etc...
Now tomorrow I get the struts, power steering rack and two idler pulleys and serpentine belt replaced.
Then over the weekend I might get the brakes (rotors and pads in the front), air filter, cabin air filter and driver side wiper blade replaced (self repair job to save $$).
After that this car should hopefully run well for the next 50K miles or so...

Sport Driver

Apr 1, 2013
Visit site

Okay, so the lemon just came back from the dealer. After the dash replacement somehow the audio went away from the radio/CD/etc...
Now tomorrow I get the struts, power steering rack and two idler pulleys and serpentine belt replaced.
Then over the weekend I might get the brakes (rotors and pads in the front), air filter, cabin air filter and driver side wiper blade replaced (self repair job to save $$).
How old is that car?

Poslano z mojega SM-T520 z uporabo Tapatalk

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site

The lemon, eh? Understood. But the must admit, that phrase made me laugh.

Posted approved via Moto Maxx

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99