So, Laura, I made corned beef today for the first time. It did come out more well done than I wanted, like a very tender brisket with the corned notes.

I just went for the boiled method...ran it for 4 hours though. I suppose if I wanted to have the typical look, I should have taken it off an hour earlier for the size of the cut. But, man, it's still tender.
    libra89 and Laura Knotek like this.
    03-18-2018 05:24 PM
    So, Laura, I made corned beef today for the first time. It did come out more well done than I wanted, like a very tender brisket with the corned notes.

I just went for the boiled method...ran it for 4 hours though. I suppose if I wanted to have the typical look, I should have taken it off an hour earlier for the size of the cut. But, man, it's still tender.
    I didn't do the traditional dish, I went with coconut rice, black beans and mushrooms. Maybe next year I'll go traditional with the twist of going the basting route in the oven and adding in the potatoes, veggies and carrots for the final hour of the cook.
    03-18-2018 05:27 PM
    Even at its height, Nokia was never able to fully break into the US market.
    I wonder if this has a hand in why they decided not to release any of the top end Nokias in the US.
    03-18-2018 05:42 PM
    I wonder if this has a hand in why they decided not to release any of the top end Nokias in the US.
    They did - Lumia 920, 820, 950, 1020, 1520...all of which were on AT&T. They never had their flagship available on all 5 (this includes big regional player US Cellular) simultaneously. Most of their dealings was with AT&T.

Before that, not really. Not every OEM has the relationship that Samsung and LG (and formerly HTC) has with the carriers here. Apple did it because they had an "it product" and negotiated their terms. It took Samsung a while before they could sell one variant of their flagship device unaltered across carriers (Galaxy S3).
    libra89 likes this.
    03-18-2018 05:55 PM
    That's true about the problem. I agree with you on that.

On that note, how well do you think Nokia/ HMD is doing when it comes to the multiple model thing? I recently heard something interesting that their cash cow is really from the feature phones and everything else is extra. That was surprising to me that this is the case still.
    They're doing OK. I see them trying to repeat the same mistakes as old Nokia, which doesn't surprise me as HMD is made up of old Nokia employees.

The mistake is not having a clean line-up and pushing to have a phone in very conceivable price point.

I'd have kept it at:

Entry level: Nokia 2/3 ($130)
    Budget: Nokia 6 ($250)
    Mid ranger: Nokia 7 ($400)
    Flagship: Nokia 8 ($600)
    High end variant: Sirocco ($750, every two years)

I like the move to Android One, though.
    03-18-2018 06:02 PM
    I am done with my quiz (got a better grade than last time!) so it's Spring Break time for me! Not going to think about school or do anything related tomorrow. I'm going to take the time to catch up on the shows and videos I missed and books to be read. Also spring break at work too, thankfully so here's a breather.

I have some days off for work but the whole week off for school. Phew.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    03-18-2018 08:33 PM
    A ray of sunshine.

https://www.phonescoop.com/articles/article.php?a=20357
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    03-19-2018 07:42 AM
    Manic Monday...wheels are already off the train as we go hurling down the tracks.

See y'all later.
    TgeekB and Laura Knotek like this.
    03-19-2018 09:08 AM
    Back in the office. All of a sudden my mailbox has swelled by 400 emails. I got it down two weeks ago. Need to go clean it up again.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    03-19-2018 11:07 AM
    Hmm interesting.
    03-19-2018 11:12 AM
    Hey Libra, just a thought...

Start saving for your retirement from now. Do NOT rely on the trainwrecks that are Social Security and Medicare as your primary source of economic and medical assistance.
    libra89 likes this.
    03-19-2018 02:24 PM
    Hey Libra, just a thought...

Start saving for your retirement from now. Do NOT rely on the trainwrecks that are Social Security and Medicare as your primary source of economic and medical assistance.
    Thanks, I am starting this year. Trying to decide which thing but I plan to start very soon. Just debating which avenue to go, like if I want to do through work or independently. Through work would be easier but I don't know if I'll be in the same system 10 years from now so that would come to a standstill if I leave. Independently means taking the time to compare with different banks and financial institutions.

In the system I'm in, I'm not at the level that I can move my retirement with me and still contribute to it.
    03-19-2018 06:19 PM
    Manic Monday...wheels are already off the train as we go hurling down the tracks.

See y'all later.
    Yes, today was an unequivocal disaster. Tomorrow doesn't lookuch better from the lens of today. But since tomorrow is another day, it's better to judge once tomorrow comes.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    03-19-2018 06:22 PM
    Yes, today was an unequivocal disaster. Tomorrow doesn't lookuch better from the lens of today. But since tomorrow is another day, it's better to judge once tomorrow comes.
    I hope tomorrow is indeed better.
    libra89 likes this.
    03-19-2018 07:03 PM
    I second this.
    03-19-2018 07:20 PM
    Haven't attended a seminar in years, todays was the first of three days.. "Internal Audit for Sustainability..." How exciting!!
    At least the currypuffs was decent

... !
    N_LaRUE, libra89 and Laura Knotek like this.
    03-20-2018 04:07 AM
    I've seen several stories about Microsoft wanting to force users to use their Edge browser even if they set another one as default...

Should be interesting times ahead for Microsoft... They're currently testing it on their fast ring.

I'm sure the users will love the idea...
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    03-20-2018 06:08 AM
    Well, it's off to a rough start... apparently the death of a transit worker has badly disrupted the busiest subway line in the entire system (which of course I have to use)...

...and in Google's infinite wisdom, the new Wear OS rebranding garbage broke the Bluetooth connection I have so I'll have to reset my watch on the fly.

And it's scheduled to snow later while I'm in the community.

I hope it gets better today, and my prayers are with the transit worker's family.
    Last edited by MSFTisMIA; 03-20-2018 at 08:37 AM.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    03-20-2018 07:17 AM
    Well, it's off to a rough start... apparently the death of a transit worker has badly disrupted the busiest subway line in the entire system (which of course I have to use)...

...and in Google's infinite wisdom, the new Wear OS rebranding garbage broke the Bluetooth connection I have so I'll have to reset my watch on the fly.

And it's scheduled to snow later while I'm in the community.

I hope it gets better today, and my prayers are with the transit worker's family.
    My l
    Hope your day improves, I know the feeling. Was the transit worker's death a job-related accident? The reason I ask is because there seems to be a "rash" of workplace/construction deaths the past few weeks. With the pedestrian bridge collapse last Thursday we've seen a higher than usual OSHA presence. When that happens you can expect serious delays as they investigate and people are walking on eggshells.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    03-20-2018 07:47 AM
    Hope your day improves, I know the feeling. Was the transit worker's death a job-related accident? The reason I ask is because there seems to be a "rash" of workplace/construction deaths the past few weeks. With the pedestrian bridge collapse last Thursday we've seen a higher than usual OSHA presence. When that happens you can expect serious delays as they investigate and people are walking on eggshells.
    http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/...icle-1.3885503
    fatclue_98 and Laura Knotek like this.
    03-20-2018 08:36 AM
    Guardrails are supposed to hold 275 lbs. How big was this guy?
    Laura Knotek and libra89 like this.
    03-20-2018 12:42 PM
    Not sure. It's been too hectic today to look further into it yet.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    03-20-2018 02:35 PM
    Another hectic day. Tomorrow's scheduled to be a little better, but with shoddy weather. Guess that's how this week is to go...
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    03-20-2018 05:51 PM
    He appeared to be 6'3", 270lbs. If I were to suspect, like with much of the other MTA equipment, stuff is old and needs replaced that doesn't work well and there's not enough money being poured into this vital engine that allows the city to generate all this taxable income.

http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/...icle-1.3885503
    fatclue_98 and Laura Knotek like this.
    03-20-2018 06:59 PM
    I am really digging the Sony MDR-XB950B1/B wireless headphones that I got. The Bass is already quite good. With the extra bass my ears hurt so I have decided to turn that option off. Overall not bad for $45 or so that I paid.
    03-20-2018 07:05 PM
144,459 ... 56775678567956805681 ...