WC 1M Post Challenge - You Ready?!

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site
Re: WC 150K Post Challenge - You Ready?!

Morning folks.

So there's some bull**** meeting I'm trying to avoid attending this morning. My supervisor had me go to cover her and that was done by one of the co-organizers of the meeting.

Besides, I need to use the time to take a midterm that today's the last day to do it...

Posted approved via Moto Maxx

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site

I'm always amazed at how much mindshare Apple and Samsung by extension has generated. Here I am on NJ transit, and in a section of the cars where I'm standing, all I see are Samsung Galaxy S and iPhones.

Meanwhile, I'm the dude in the corner bumping his head to tunes with a Sony smartwatch paired to a Moto phone.

Oh well, I'd rather walk my own road than eat from the trough of popularity any day of the week...

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site

They put the MSFT store on a nice section of 5th Ave that normally gets good foot traffic anyways, so they'll get boots in the door. There's a beautiful older style church across the street where people like to take pics, and the Rolex store is on the neighboring block.

Foot traffic is no problem.

Also, the Apple Cube is much, much bigger. So you get this crowd that's a mix of tourists who want to see how it looks, people who want to buy stuffs, and people who want to browse. Their lighting is softer, trying to convey a more intimate kinda those hip NYC caf?'s feel to it.

The MSFT store, even though smaller, is easier to walk through. As you walk in, you can literally touch a device. You can see whomever thought about the layout has a good head for customer flow in the space. The lights were brighter than the Apple Cube, but they conveyed more of a cleaner airiness to the space. The store felt more "clean" and "fresh" than simply being "new".

I've got to bring the GF back in a few weeks so she can try on the Band 2. I'll update you better then. The truth is as it stands, I'm more likely to come back and browse there periodically than I would to do at the Apple Cube.

This article hit on my concerns and positives for this store location really well. I still say, and the article points this out, MSFT is on to something...

http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2015...york-city-store-shakes-up-a-familiar-formula/

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site

This article hit on my concerns and positives for this store location really well. I still say, and the article points this out, MSFT is on to something...

Microsoft?s new New York City store shakes up a familiar formula | Ars Technica

What I haven't figured out yet is why they haven't got a store in London yet. In one of their bigger markets. There's a huge Apple store on Regent Street. Typically full of tourists and other wanderers. I don't think many actually buy anything in there but that's not the point of course.

I'm guessing it will happen sooner or later but I'm not sure why their dragging their feet. Maybe they're waiting for the right place. Don't know.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site

We had some giant touch screens here this week. They didn't mention if they were MS Surface or not. The purpose behind them is about being able to collaborate on something between different offices in a meeting. I doubt we'd ever use these things but who knows.

This is the issue working for a company that has conservative IT departments. You get old software, old computers, old thinking...

worldspy99

Nov 10, 2013
Visit site

Looks good. I don't see Coke bottles anymore, so that was a nice sight.
Coke in bottles that size is actually imported into the USA from Mexico and is made with real sugar instead of high fructose corn syrup and tastes better IMO. Although recently they have started to sell six pack bottles but they are slightly smaller in size. I almost bought them this weekend as they have introduced a new flavor called Coke Life with a green theme (it has sugar and stevia and claims to have reduced calories) probably slotted between Coke Zero and the real deal.

worldspy99

Nov 10, 2013
Visit site

So Sahib, tell us more about this Liz person...

You want the same old story repeated? But wait 1) since the Royals are up against the Mets and 2) he might just have found a box of juice or two to gulp down that Sahib might have stolen a base....

worldspy99

Nov 10, 2013
Visit site

Morning folks.

So there's some bull**** meeting I'm trying to avoid attending this morning. My supervisor had me go to cover her and that was done by one of the co-organizers of the meeting.

Besides, I need to use the time to take a midterm that today's the last day to do it...

That's rough. I was in all day training for the last two days so my calendar looks really bad for today and tomorrow. I'm offsite again next week one day for some more training and back in Minnesota the following week. For some weird reason work has gotten a lot crazier in the last month or so.

worldspy99

Nov 10, 2013
Visit site

I'm always amazed at how much mindshare Apple and Samsung by extension has generated. Here I am on NJ transit, and in a section of the cars where I'm standing, all I see are Samsung Galaxy S and iPhones.

Meanwhile, I'm the dude in the corner bumping his head to tunes with a Sony smartwatch paired to a Moto phone.

Oh well, I'd rather walk my own road than eat from the trough of popularity any day of the week...

I had the only Android and WP during the 2 day training. For the record there were 22 people in the room including the trainer.

worldspy99

Nov 10, 2013
Visit site

What I haven't figured out yet is why they haven't got a store in London yet. In one of their bigger markets. There's a huge Apple store on Regent Street. Typically full of tourists and other wanderers. I don't think many actually buy anything in there but that's not the point of course.

I'm guessing it will happen sooner or later but I'm not sure why their dragging their feet. Maybe they're waiting for the right place. Don't know.
It took Apple quite a few years to get their retail presence sorted out. If MSFT finds that this is working for them then they too will find out how to expand their retail stores.

worldspy99

Nov 10, 2013
Visit site

We had some giant touch screens here this week. They didn't mention if they were MS Surface or not. The purpose behind them is about being able to collaborate on something between different offices in a meeting. I doubt we'd ever use these things but who knows.

This is the issue working for a company that has conservative IT departments. You get old software, old computers, old thinking...
We got no Surface devices yet but our clinical team might be getting them. The new HP laptops they are getting us are quite nice though, similar on specs to a MBP and awesome battery life. There is a smaller version of the laptop which would be the screen size of the MBA but the keyboard on it is terrible. I'm glad I didn't get that one. I would say that our IT guys are somewhere in the middle...

worldspy99

Nov 10, 2013
Visit site

Hello everyone. Good morning. Today the lemon gets one more repair done and hopefully an accurate diagnosis for the next repair job.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site

We got no Surface devices yet but our clinical team might be getting them. The new HP laptops they are getting us are quite nice though, similar on specs to a MBP and awesome battery life. There is a smaller version of the laptop which would be the screen size of the MBA but the keyboard on it is terrible. I'm glad I didn't get that one. I would say that our IT guys are somewhere in the middle...

We'll never have a Surface device here. Maybe better Dell computers/laptops but never a Surface. I need something more powerful than a Surface and most of the admins don't need anything like a Surface.

I heard rumour that they might roll out new computers next year or starting next year. Considering the quantity they need to replace might take some time...

worldspy99

Nov 10, 2013
Visit site

We'll never have a Surface device here. Maybe better Dell computers/laptops but never a Surface. I need something more powerful than a Surface and most of the admins don't need anything like a Surface.

I heard rumour that they might roll out new computers next year or starting next year. Considering the quantity they need to replace might take some time...
The new HPs run around 1100 to 1300 (that is what they charge my budget center). The admins get a heavier and slightly older version of the same laptop. The designers get a heavy duty laptop (kinda like a gaming rig). Everyone then has a monitor or three...I have two monitors and a docking station.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site

The new HPs run around 1100 to 1300 (that is what they charge my budget center). The admins get a heavier and slightly older version of the same laptop. The designers get a heavy duty laptop (kinda like a gaming rig). Everyone then has a monitor or three...I have two monitors and a docking station.

We won't get laptops here. Only people who need them get them. I'll get a desktop with some heavy duty processors, graphics card, etc, I already have two 22" monitors but would love another one. The admins will get a more basic desktop.

worldspy99

Nov 10, 2013
Visit site

We won't get laptops here. Only people who need them get them. I'll get a desktop with some heavy duty processors, graphics card, etc, I already have two 22" monitors but would love another one. The admins will get a more basic desktop.
The sales guys also have iPads and the clinician program people currently use an Asus tablet.

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site

You want the same old story repeated? But wait 1) since the Royals are up against the Mets and 2) he might just have found a box of juice or two to gulp down that Sahib might have stolen a base....

I won't comment further until the World Series and Sahib's Liz-ventures are over...

Approved by Z3 Tablet Compact!

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site

That's rough. I was in all day training for the last two days so my calendar looks really bad for today and tomorrow. I'm offsite again next week one day for some more training and back in Minnesota the following week. For some weird reason work has gotten a lot crazier in the last month or so.

We're short on the team and with the new girls spending half the time in the clinic and half in the community, you-know-who has to do the heavy lifting...

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site
I was all set to buy a band 2 when I saw...no music controls. STILL?

Oh well, cannot recommend it to the GF. Certainly not at the $250 asking price.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mducros