Then of course there's the OS upgrade issue...
    AKA "fragmentation".
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    10-11-2018 09:06 AM
    I sort of agree.

I remember a lot of 520 users wanting to do everything that a 920 could do. Which is a bit unrealistic.

The problem you have with Android is that it's not the most optimized OS and anyone on low-end hardware will still want the same or similar experience as someone using a flagship, which is of course unrealistic but that's part of the reality and mindset of people who buy low-end.

Then of course there's the OS upgrade issue...

Not sure why things are still like this but here we are....
    I think though times have changed a bit. Most people buying cheaper devices understand they are not getting the flagship experience. I believe even folks buying older iPhones (5S, 6 etc) understand this.

The reason I specifically cited Nokia is because they have jumped on the Android One bandwagon. So they should not have as much OS update/fragmentation issues as say Samsung or LG who refuse to let go of their skins.
    libra89, Laura Knotek and N_LaRUE like this.
    10-11-2018 10:23 AM
    Sadly, Android has tried but outside of the Redmi series, no one has come close.
    Actually Xiaomi is one maker that makes devices that are really nice in terms of performance/price ratio. Pocophone F1 is probably the best example. Hopefully I will have a mini review in a few weeks.
    libra89 and Laura Knotek like this.
    10-11-2018 10:24 AM
    I think though times have changed a bit. Most people buying cheaper devices understand they are not getting the flagship experience. I believe even folks buying older iPhones (5S, 6 etc) understand this.

The reason I specifically cited Nokia is because they have jumped on the Android One bandwagon. So they should not have as much OS update/fragmentation issues as say Samsung or LG who refuse to let go of their skins.
    Not to let Samsung or LG off the hook but I don't think skins are that much of an issue. Motorola runs as close to stock as anybody, they only have 3 models at any one time and suuuuuck at updates. Get a load of this, the Z3 Play was released this August and is still stuck with the May security update. BlackBerry is the best non-Google OEM at security updates but the KeyONE was the first to ever get an OS version update.
    10-11-2018 12:11 PM
    Not to let Samsung or LG off the hook but I don't think skins are that much of an issue. Motorola runs as close to stock as anybody, they only have 3 models at any one time and suuuuuck at updates. Get a load of this, the Z3 Play was released this August and is still stuck with the May security update. BlackBerry is the best non-Google OEM at security updates but the KeyONE was the first to ever get an OS version update.
    Sony is very close to stock as well. They're ok with their security updates but I'm still on 8 at the moment.
    10-11-2018 02:46 PM

I haven't looked into the Android One thing... I'm a bit out of touch there... Sigh

I'm thinking more and more about a Nokia device as my next phone but I'm still waiting for a reason to get one.

Nokia (HMD) is doing the mid/low end thing currently and making what I feel is way too many varieties again.

Once they get their act together with a high spec phone and a camera worthy of the Nokia name I'll buy it.

For now I'll stick to my current device. No need to update currently.
    10-11-2018 02:50 PM
    Yeah Moto is close to stock but ever since Lenovo took them over they've gone the route of other Chinese Android manufacturers - Stock or not.

I think that is why the Android One program makes more sense from a software/security patch update viewpoint.
    10-11-2018 02:50 PM
    I haven't looked into the Android One thing... I'm a bit out of touch there... Sigh

I'm thinking more and more about a Nokia device as my next phone but I'm still waiting for a reason to get one.

Nokia (HMD) is doing the mid/low end thing currently and making what I feel is way too many varieties again.

Once they get their act together with a high spec phone and a camera worthy of the Nokia name I'll buy it.

For now I'll stick to my current device. No need to update currently.
    There will be a flood of devices getting updated to Android Pie here in the next 4-6 months. I am sure Sony will be one of the earlier ones to update their devices. They have done a reasonably decent job unlike Moto.
    10-11-2018 02:51 PM
    Actually Xiaomi is one maker that makes devices that are really nice in terms of performance/price ratio. Pocophone F1 is probably the best example. Hopefully I will have a mini review in a few weeks.
    Thanks for clarifying to the lurkers that Xiaomi makes the Redmi series. Which in and of itself has come a very, very long way.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    10-11-2018 05:46 PM
    Thanks for clarifying to the lurkers that Xiaomi makes the Redmi series. Which in and of itself has come a very, very long way.
    Redmi is low end. I have had some laggards in the Redmi series. Never had an issue in the regular Mi series devices.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    10-11-2018 05:48 PM
    Redmi is low end. I have had some laggards in the Redmi series. Never had an issue in the regular Mi series devices.
    Now, we both know the Mi series was always their vanguard.

Redmi = Lumia 520

Maybe you can make the case that

Moto = Lumia 640

But not as easily. You really cannot really compare the full Mi line to the 640 ( maybe the mid range Mi devices like the Mi Max line)
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    10-11-2018 07:05 PM
    No notch and full screen!
    libra89, Laura Knotek and N_LaRUE like this.
    10-11-2018 09:31 PM
    Now, we both know the Mi series was always their vanguard.

Redmi = Lumia 520

Maybe you can make the case that

Moto = Lumia 640

But not as easily. You really cannot really compare the full Mi line to the 640 ( maybe the mid range Mi devices like the Mi Max line)
    So it would follow that if the RedMi equals low end then the high end flagships would be the BlueMi right?

You don't have to answer. I've had a s**t week having to deal with your buddy's minions and I'm seeing my cardio tomorrow for what is surely to be bad news.
    10-11-2018 09:32 PM
    10-11-2018 09:35 PM
    That looks very nice!
    worldspy99 likes this.
    10-12-2018 12:48 AM
    Friday, huh?
    10-12-2018 07:05 AM
    Quick first impressions on the Vivo Nex S

The camera pop up works great. The quality of the selfies is quite decent as well.
    The OS is a carbon copy of iOS 11. If that is your cup of tea then it is fine. It is probably one of the more polished iOS clones that I have seen. The phone has 8GB RAM so everything feels quite snappy and I think the animations are deliberately a bit fast to give you that feeling of this being a snappy device. The screen is gorgeous and yes, looking at something full screen is quite nice.

Will test out a couple of more things in the day and then it will stay in a box for a while. I am off to Costa Rica for work.
    10-12-2018 10:30 AM
    Friday, huh?
    Can't end soon enough. My wife can't finish her degree soon enough so I can take a brief hiatus from life.
    N_LaRUE and Laura Knotek like this.
    10-12-2018 12:09 PM
    Well, on my first day in New York, I wanted to find a Google pop-up store so I could check out the P2XL. Found out that it doesn't open until the 18th. So, I walked into the Microsoft store and bought a Surface Go, 8 Gb RAM, 128 Gb storage plus the keyboard. So far, it's a pretty kick butt little device. msftsurface-1.jpeg
    10-12-2018 04:17 PM
    Well, on my first day in New York, I wanted to find a Google pop-up store so I could check out the P2XL. Found out that it doesn't open until the 18th. So, I walked into the Microsoft store and bought a Surface Go, 8 Gb RAM, 128 Gb storage plus the keyboard. So far, it's a pretty kick butt little device. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	msftsurface-1.jpeg 
Views:	9 
Size:	51.7 KB 
ID:	139994
    Ooh congrats!
    10-12-2018 04:38 PM
    The things I see and hear at work...even my coworkers are Iike "you sure know how to pick 'em".

Yes, and I'm stuck with a supervisor very similar to the last knucklehead in the old department...SMH.
    Laura Knotek, N_LaRUE and libra89 like this.
    10-12-2018 07:01 PM
    I'm ready for the Pixel 3.
    It's not a matter of if, just when
    10-12-2018 08:37 PM
    I'm ready for the Pixel 3.
    It's not a matter of if, just when https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...0c56afa33c.jpg
    Nice! It's very fitting that you are. Also safe travels!
    10-13-2018 09:58 AM
    Can't end soon enough. My wife can't finish her degree soon enough so I can take a brief hiatus from life.
    Aw, I feel you on that. How much time does she have left in the program?
    fatclue_98 and Laura Knotek like this.
    10-13-2018 09:59 AM
    Aw, I feel you on that. How much time does she have left in the program?
    She finishes her coursework this semester then she has an internship next year.
    libra89, aximtreo and Laura Knotek like this.
    10-13-2018 11:04 AM
144,787 ... 57855786578757885789 ...