Looking for some new ideas to write on. If anyone has suggestions, PM me. Thanks for those who have read and sent me suggestions so far.
    Laura Knotek and libra89 like this.
    05-26-2019 03:15 PM
    Kinda looking forward to testing out the Mate 20 Pro. I brought my wireless charger with me, so normal charging habits will apply. It's an older hotel so I will be shooting some landscape shots. Cannot post any wedding stuff here though.
    05-26-2019 03:17 PM
    So far, I've mixed feelings with the phone after a day of use. It feels better to use in the case. I miss the feel of tempered glass has it doesn't play nice with the fingerprint scanner. Battery life seems as expected.

I miss the workman vibe from the V35. Feel I have to baby the Mate 20 Pro even more so than the other devices I've used in the past. EMUI is still the same and as usual, I prefer MIUI instead.

I'll know more by Tuesday, but as usual, don't expect too much change from this first impression.
    Last edited by MSFTisMIA; 05-28-2019 at 07:37 PM.
    05-26-2019 03:20 PM
    Similar story here in NYC.
    Gotham has a world-class public transportation system. We have.......the Source Awards.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    05-26-2019 05:26 PM
    Gotham has a world-class public transportation system. We have.......the Source Awards.
    We have an aging world class transit system. Emphasis on the word AGING.
    Laura Knotek and N_LaRUE like this.
    05-26-2019 05:28 PM
    Two grand barely covers the rent for a 1 bed apartment in Miami outside the Hood. But I agree it’s way too much for a phone.
    It's almost three grand in San Jose, CA. We're visiting a family member who is currently renting a 1 bedroom apartment for $3K per month. That's pretty steep.
    Laura Knotek, N_LaRUE and aximtreo like this.
    05-26-2019 05:36 PM
    Housing prices are crazy here in the US. It's very sad and hard.
    libra89, Laura Knotek and N_LaRUE like this.
    05-26-2019 09:25 PM
    True, the range is a lot.

It makes me understand another reason why people move in with their partners (without being married). Of course there's many reasons but the cost is another thing.
    05-26-2019 09:57 PM
    Are those apartment buildings you shot earlier expensive places to live? Where in NYC are they located?

A friend of mine said gentrification is why so many places are so pricey now. What nobody would've wanted to live in during the 70s/80s was bought and redeveloped, now is ridiculously priced.
    libra89 and aximtreo like this.
    05-26-2019 09:59 PM
    True, the range is a lot.

It makes me understand another reason why people move in with their partners (without being married). Of course there's many reasons but the cost is another thing.
    Or get roommates. My cousin's daughter got a roommate whom she didn't even know previously, since she needed someone to share the rent.
    libra89 likes this.
    05-26-2019 10:00 PM
    Are those apartment buildings you shot earlier expensive places to live? Where in NYC are they located?

A friend of mine said gentrification is why so many places are so pricey now. What nobody would've wanted to live in during the 70s/80s was bought and redeveloped, now is ridiculously priced.
    That's in Brooklyn, not too far from where the GF is. Those are older buildings, pre war Jewish buildings...now occupied by mostly minority folks. The rent is a little cheaper (not by a whole lot), but the upkeep by management is done on the cheaper side too, if you get my drift.

Gentrification is happening there too. There were a few houses on the gf's block that were renovated with new fixtures and thus, gentrifying tenants.
    Laura Knotek, libra89 and N_LaRUE like this.
    05-26-2019 10:13 PM
    That's in Brooklyn, not too far from where the GF is. Those are older buildings, pre war Jewish buildings...now occupied by mostly minority folks. The rent is a little cheaper (not by a whole lot), but the upkeep by management is done on the cheaper side too, if you get my drift.
    That sucks that the management isn't very good. I'm sure the rent is astronomical compared to what I pay here in Cleveland in the city, not in the suburbs.
    libra89 and aximtreo like this.
    05-26-2019 10:15 PM
    It's almost three grand in San Jose, CA. We're visiting a family member who is currently renting a 1 bedroom apartment for $3K per month. That's pretty steep.
    Thats crazy money!! The difference in the cost of living between US and here (Malaysia) is mind boggling.

My mum is living in a highrise condo (fairly new, 4 bedrooms 2,000 sq footer) for equiv of USD600, and its near the beach too. Its sunny all year round, food is plentiful & cheap, so are phones & IT equipment.. Come on over!!
    05-26-2019 10:22 PM
    That sucks that the management isn't very good. I'm sure the rent is astronomical compared to what I pay here in Cleveland in the city, not in the suburbs.
    So rent is lower there, but the pay of middle class jobs are lower...so it's the same.

Yup, rent is a certified cluster**** here. I saw an apartment on sale that was a three bedroom two bath in the union Square area for only $12M. I'll post the listing from the V35 in a few days.

Top problems here in NYC: good paying employment and affordable housing.
    libra89 and Laura Knotek like this.
    05-26-2019 10:24 PM
    So rent is lower there, but the pay of middle class jobs are lower...so it's the same.

Yup, rent is a certified cluster**** here. I saw an apartment on sale that was a three bedroom two bath in the union Square area for only $12M. I'll post the listing from the V35 in a few days.

Top problems here in NYC: good paying employment and affordable housing.
    You're right it's all the same.

Yikes! That's ridiculous. I can't believe an apartment could cost that much.
    05-26-2019 10:47 PM
    Thats crazy money!! The difference in the cost of living between US and here (Malaysia) is mind boggling.

My mum is living in a highrise condo (fairly new, 4 bedrooms 2,000 sq footer) for equiv of USD600, and its near the beach too. Its sunny all year round, food is plentiful & cheap, so are phones & IT equipment.. Come on over!!
    Sounds like a plan.
    We should meet up when I am in Penang later this year. I'm coming over to teach a 1 week class at my work facility.
    raycpl, Laura Knotek and libra89 like this.
    05-26-2019 11:26 PM
    Sounds like a plan.
    We should meet up when I am in Penang later this year. I'm coming over to teach a 1 week class at my work facility.
    Sounds great!! I'm living in Kota Kinabalu, I'm always back in Penang for a stretch during Christmas!!
    05-27-2019 12:03 AM
    There is a problem with house prices and rents are all over the world. As housing has become a commodity the prices have sky rocketed and the rents along with it. In the mean time a lot of people's income haven't grown with it. Many people have incomes that have flat-lined since 2008 while others have had to take on extra jobs just to get by.

Doesn't help that there seems to be an issue with prices increasing on everything along with this. Food, utilities, etc.

I think society needs a change from the bottom up because the top just seems completely lost. Their idea of 'living' is completely at odds with reality.

The change I suggest doesn't require violence either. Doesn't have to be. Just a change in consumer habits and community thinking. I know this idea of jobs, career and other things have been drilled into us from childhood but I think we need to start off with thinking about other things. Simple things like food, shelter, community support and safety nets.

The only way humans can move forward is if we change our thinking but I guess it's hard to do this after doing things this way for so long.
    Last edited by N_LaRUE; 05-27-2019 at 05:17 AM.
    05-27-2019 02:11 AM
    For those who may have missed it Paris clocks in as being one of the most expensive places on the planet to live.

The cost of rent and property in Paris is simply ridiculous. Even in the suburban areas where I live it's not really that cheap.

Not to mention the pain it is to actually get a place to rent...
    raycpl, Laura Knotek and libra89 like this.
    05-27-2019 02:13 AM
    So we had the European elections here. Though the Right has increased some, it wasn't the complete disaster that people thought it was going to be. However if you listen to the news you'd swear Armageddon has happened. I don't quite get the obsession the news has with going on about Right wing mouth pieces.

There's been a swing from traditional parties but the swing wasn't to the Right. Greens and Liberals have picked up a lot of seats. This is good for the EU. The EU needs change and a boost in Greens is good for the environment.
    Last edited by N_LaRUE; 05-27-2019 at 03:29 AM.
    05-27-2019 02:20 AM
    You're right it's all the same.

Yikes! That's ridiculous. I can't believe an apartment could cost that much.
    Oh, there are WAY more expensive ones that than. I've seen properties here that the rent is $10K/month.
    N_LaRUE and Laura Knotek like this.
    05-27-2019 08:48 AM
    Here's a 7&7 (mine) and this tequila + mint + cucumber drink (GF). This was shot in auto mode. I need to dig into this camera some more. img_20190526_193552.jpeg
    N_LaRUE, libra89 and Laura Knotek like this.
    05-27-2019 09:01 AM
    For those who may have missed it Paris clocks in as being one of the most expensive places on the planet to live.

The cost of rent and property in Paris is simply ridiculous. Even in the suburban areas where I live it's not really that cheap.

Not to mention the pain it is to actually get a place to rent...
    Paris, London, Tokyo, NYC, and pick a place in California are some of the most expensive places to live on Earth. Never understood why (I do know but just choose not to accept it). The wealth scale continues to tip in the favor of the elites.
    N_LaRUE, libra89 and Laura Knotek like this.
    05-27-2019 09:04 AM
    There is a problem with house prices and rents are all over the world. As housing has become a commodity the prices have sky rocketed and the rents along with it. In the mean time a lot of people's income haven't grown with it. Many people have incomes that have flat-lined since 2008 while others have had to take on extra jobs just to get by.

Doesn't help that there seems to be an issue with prices increasing on everything along with this. Food, utilities, etc.

I think society needs a change from the bottom up because the top just seems completely lost. Their idea of 'living' is completely at odds with reality.

The change I suggest doesn't require violence either. Doesn't have to be. Just a change in consumer habits and community thinking. I know this idea of jobs, career and other things have been drilled into us from childhood but I think we need to start off with thinking about other things. Simple things like food, shelter, community support and safety nets.

The only way humans can move forward is if we change our thinking but I guess it's hard to do this after doing things this way for so long.
    The only time when societies change from the bottom up is when the oppressed revolt and size power.

With the conglomerates and their enablers still dicking around with the environment, one could see situations where a bad natural disaster impacting food and water supply could cause such an uprising. Rising seas could cause the abandonment of smaller nations. If other places (Europe, US) are ******** about immigration now, WTF would they do in those circumstances?

Things are a lot more on a knife's edge that people give credit for.
    libra89 and Laura Knotek like this.
    05-27-2019 09:09 AM
    Here's a 7&7 (mine) and this tequila + mint + cucumber drink (GF). This was shot in auto mode. I need to dig into this camera some more. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20190526_193552.jpeg 
Views:	6 
Size:	58.2 KB 
ID:	140826
    Cool! I was going to ask how it went with the camera.
    raycpl and Laura Knotek like this.
    05-27-2019 09:48 AM
152,156 ... 59255926592759285929 ...