WC 1M Post Challenge - You Ready?!

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site
Re: WC 150K Post Challenge - You Ready?!

History is interesting when it's presented right. The main issue with a lot of American history classes is that they tend to do gloss over a lot of things. There's a lot of revisionism in US history and they have a tendency to make the so called 'heroes' very one dimensional when they're not. Which makes them boring to be honest.

But that's the American mindset unfortunately...

They gloss over things because the people in charge only propose American history from experience - the lens of those in charge. They gloss over it because the people in charge want to sell the idea of chasing the American dream by inviting immigrants that they need to keep the country moving but curtail their access to true upward movement. This country is run on people in transition between economic classes. It ain't pretty, but life isn't here to win any beauty contests.

Only the really curious or educated have a better sense of what American history is like.

Approved by Z3 Tablet Compact!

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site

They gloss over things because the people in charge only propose American history from experience - the lens of those in charge. They gloss over it because the people in charge want to sell the idea of chasing the American dream by inviting immigrants that they need to keep the country moving but curtail their access to true upward movement. This country is run on people in transition between economic classes. It ain't pretty, but life isn't here to win any beauty contests.

Only the really curious or educated have a better sense of what American history is like.

Approved by Z3 Tablet Compact!

Sadly this type of thinking exists in many countries. Australia was rampant with revisionist history and lots of denial over the past. Especially by those who wanted the past to stay in the past. There's lots of brush off.

Here in the UK the right wing groups talk of nationalism (typically) and of the laws of the UK being controlled by an external body (EU courts) and of course free movement of EU nationals which the UK just classes as immigration. Revisionism is a big part of their spiel. Making the UK 'great' again might sound familiar. Lots of mention of how things 'used' to be. The UK is a country made of immigrants from all over the EU and elsewhere. Has been for centuries if not millennia.

A lot of blame is put on the EU for the problems within the UK these days however the problems in the UK is because of UK policy and not the EU. Sure having masses of people wanting to come to your country is problematic, especially a tiny one like the UK but that isn't the reason why Joe 'average white guy' is sitting in his council flat without at job feeling that his entitlement is not being met because 'immigrants' are taking all the jobs at low wages. Not true of course but that's perception.

I'm sure that sounds familiar to people in the US and I can definitely tell you it's not only the US, UK, Canada and Australia that feel this way. Any country where immigration is perceived as high these types of feelings happen. People feel threatened as you pointed out.

The world is a crazy place and to be honest I hate nationalism and the idea of 'country'. I don't have a better solution but it just seems to create more issues than solves.

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site

Sadly this type of thinking exists in many countries. Australia was rampant with revisionist history and lots of denial over the past. Especially by those who wanted the past to stay in the past. There's lots of brush off.

Here in the UK the right wing groups talk of nationalism (typically) and of the laws of the UK being controlled by an external body (EU courts) and of course free movement of EU nationals which the UK just classes as immigration. Revisionism is a big part of their spiel. Making the UK 'great' again might sound familiar. Lots of mention of how things 'used' to be. The UK is a country made of immigrants from all over the EU and elsewhere. Has been for centuries if not millennia.

A lot of blame is put on the EU for the problems within the UK these days however the problems in the UK is because of UK policy and not the EU. Sure having masses of people wanting to come to your country is problematic, especially a tiny one like the UK but that isn't the reason why Joe 'average white guy' is sitting in his council flat without at job feeling that his entitlement is not being met because 'immigrants' are taking all the jobs at low wages. Not true of course but that's perception.

I'm sure that sounds familiar to people in the US and I can definitely tell you it's not only the US, UK, Canada and Australia that feel this way. Any country where immigration is perceived as high these types of feelings happen. People feel threatened as you pointed out.

The world is a crazy place and to be honest I hate nationalism and the idea of 'country'. I don't have a better solution but it just seems to create more issues than solves.

Ibid.

Just human nature at work. The whole thing is just sad and ultimately pointless. But, that's the world we live in now...

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site

Was looking forward to landing a G4, but that's now off the table...maybe permanently too. I'll have to get mms running on this m8, but it may be here to stay.

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site

99, so far Xiaomi's Piston 3 headphones are very solid. I think I like the sound quality on my Marley's better, but these will work.

Yes, volume controls work on both Android and WP.

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site

Hey Mods, are we still allowed to use the thanks button via mobile? I've noticed using the Windows Central apps (both on Android one and on the WP legacy app), there's either a delay or I cannot use the thanks.

Maybe it's just me, but I figured I'd just ask...

sahib lopez

Apr 29, 2013
Visit site

Hey Mods, are we still allowed to use the thanks button via mobile? I've noticed using the Windows Central apps (both on Android one and on the WP legacy app), there's either a delay or I cannot use the thanks.

For me on tapatalk there is no more thank button only like

worldspy99

Nov 10, 2013
Visit site

Thanks is gone. Everything is a "Like" now.

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site

So far so good with the M8. Battery life seems decent. Apparently it is a "I'll get you through the day but not do two days" sort of battery life.

Remember I'm going old school with no connected wearable to the M8....which in how tall *** the phone is, could use it...

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site

Very Facebookish...

I'm just not a fan of Facebook. The GF told me last night that a friend of her family (and an ex to her sister I've met so far) died in a car accident that her cousin was driving the vehicle. So of course, people posted pictures & of the totally wrecked vehicle and them trying to free the guy from the wreck - blood and gore included.

Really? And you wonder why I dislike social media so much...

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site

I'm just not a fan of Facebook. The GF told me last night that a friend of her family (and an ex to her sister I've met so far) died in a car accident that her cousin was driving the vehicle. So of course, people posted pictures & of the totally wrecked vehicle and them trying to free the guy from the wreck - blood and gore included.

Really? And you wonder why I dislike social media so much...
Wow... That's so wrong.

I've started to use it less and less but still have it because I have friends everywhere..

All media sucks these days.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
velocityxs