Watch UFC 245 Exclusively on ESPN+

Catch Every Moment of UFC 245 Experience UFC PPV events like never before with ESPN+ and save over 25%!

Expand Minimize
    Shutdown week is coming. So who knows I might set one of these up. One might go to a family member.
    Well, good luck with that. Nice way to sidestep the original comment. You've got my vote.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    06-18-2019 06:32 PM
    Our humanity has become optional. That's a very sad and tough place to be in.
    N_LaRUE and Laura Knotek like this.
    06-18-2019 09:47 PM
    Whew, the game was rained out and postponed but I have no regrets. I just hope this will not happen again with the new date we chose. I like the company I was with so the waiting was cool.

One thing down, another to go.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    06-18-2019 11:20 PM
    Our humanity has become optional. That's a very sad and tough place to be in.
    I agree, it really is.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    06-18-2019 11:22 PM
    I have some feelings for someone who is a friend of mine but it might be unrequited so I'm wrestling with them a little bit.
    06-18-2019 11:24 PM
    So I know I did an initial impression. Now that I'm almost done setting it up I can be a bit more precise. Being honest I haven't done much with it at this point. I had other things to do last night so my time with it has been very short.

I NLaRUE... nah

So to start

Design

This is my third Sony phone. I've owned a Z3, XZ and now the Xperia 1. The 1 reminds me of the Z3, which is good. It sort of looks like a Z3 that got stretched and thinned out. It's very comfortable to hold because of how narrow it is. It's light weight, it's lighter than my XZ. It's got the same sort of flatness of the Z3 except now there's a camera bulge at the back. It's a lot more rounded overall than the Z3 though. Saying that, the phone is not significantly larger than my XZ. I can fit it in my pocket.

Screen

This is where you get that, wow feeling. That screen is huge! I personally don't mind bezels. The one a the top is larger than the bottom but that's fine. The screen is vibrant and very nice. I haven't done much with it other than change the wallpaper but overall I'm happy with it.

Software

It's Sony with Pie. I'm not used to Pie as the XZ didn't get it so it's a bit new experience all around with the gestures. There was some bloat but that could be due to the fact I picked it up from a carrier. It's not a locked phone though. Still sifting through things. I tend to disable bloat items I don't want.

Other stuff

The fingerprint scanner is well places and way too sensitive. Because I owned a XZ which had the scanner on the power button it's going to take some getting used to.

I haven't used side sense and I don't think I will. Mainly because I have a case on the phone.

Yes, the phone is slippery AF. I dropped it getting it out of the box. Only onto the table so no damage.

Setting up was a breeze using the Google App. Just deciding on how I'm going to use my phone.

So after this weekend I should have a good idea of the photos capability and other things. I'll give a more thorough review then.
    Last edited by N_LaRUE; 06-19-2019 at 04:29 AM.
    Laura Knotek, raycpl and libra89 like this.
    06-19-2019 02:36 AM
    So I know I did an initial impression. Now that I'm almost done setting it up I can be a bit more precise. Being honest I haven't done much with it at this point I had other things to do last night so my time with has been very short.

I NLaRUE... nah

So to start - design

This is my third Sony phone. I've owned a Z3, XZ and now the Xperia 1. The 1 reminds me of the Z3, which is good. It sort of looks like a Z3 that got stretched and thinned out. It's very comfortable to hold because of how narrow it is. It's light weight, it's lighter than my XZ. It's got the same sort of flatness of the Z3 except now there's a camera bulge at the back. It's lot more rounded overall than the Z3 though. Saying that, the phone is not significantly larger than my XZ. I can fit it in my pocket.

Screen

This is where you get that, wow feeling. That screen is huge! I personally don't mind bezels. The one a the top is larger than the bottom but that's fine. The screen is vibrant and very nice. I haven't done much with it other than change the wallpaper but overall I'm happy with it.

Software

It's Sony with Pie. I'm not used to Pie as the XZ didn't get it so it's a bit new experience all around with the gestures. There was some bloat but that could be due to the fact I picked it up from a carrier. It's not a locked phone though. Still sifting through things. I tend to disable bloat items I don't want.

Other stuff

The fingerprint scanner is well places and way too sensitive. Because I owned a XZ which had the scanner on the power button it's going to take some getting used to.

I haven't used side sense and I don't think I will. Mainly because I have a case on the phone.

Yes, the phone is slippery AF. I dropped it getting it out of the box. Only onto the table so no damage.

Setting up was breeze using the Google App. Just deciding on how I'm going to use my phone.

So after this weekend I should have a good idea of the photos capability and other things. I'll give a more thorough review then.
    Very cool! Thanks for sharing your initial impressions.

Good luck with it, and I look forward to more details, especially about the camera.

BTW, what launcher do you use? I use Nova Launcher Prime on all my Android devices.
    N_LaRUE and libra89 like this.
    06-19-2019 02:41 AM
    Very cool! Thanks for sharing your initial impressions.

Good luck with it, and I look forward to more details, especially about the camera.

BTW, what launcher do you use? I use Nova Launcher Prime on all my Android devices.
    I stick with the stock launcher mainly because I'm lazy and can't be bothered to change it.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    06-19-2019 02:41 AM
    I have to say the ambient lock screen option is interesting. Reminds me of the Lumia 920 with glance. Need to find out if it drains the battery though.

Not sure if this is new with Pie or not and just the Xperia 1. I haven't checked my wife's ZX1.
    libra89 likes this.
    06-19-2019 04:33 AM
    I still say the Z3 was the best Sony phone since the Z line launched in 2012.
    N_LaRUE likes this.
    06-19-2019 07:37 AM
    Running on fumes going into work today... And it's ONLY Wednesday.

Ain't paradise grand?
    06-19-2019 08:13 AM
    I have to say the ambient lock screen option is interesting. Reminds me of the Lumia 920 with glance. Need to find out if it drains the battery though.

Not sure if this is new with Pie or not and just the Xperia 1. I haven't checked my wife's ZX1.
    It's not Pie. Since last year, most flagship and upper mid rangers have been offering ambient display settings as standard. Google, Moto and Nokia have been offering it for eons, Samsung really started pushing it from the S8 line. It's just a lot more customizable now. My G7+ and V35 have it. I just don't use it because...i have smartwatches for that.
    N_LaRUE likes this.
    06-19-2019 08:17 AM
    So I know I did an initial impression. Now that I'm almost done setting it up I can be a bit more precise. Being honest I haven't done much with it at this point. I had other things to do last night so my time with it has been very short.

I NLaRUE... nah

So to start

Design

This is my third Sony phone. I've owned a Z3, XZ and now the Xperia 1. The 1 reminds me of the Z3, which is good. It sort of looks like a Z3 that got stretched and thinned out. It's very comfortable to hold because of how narrow it is. It's light weight, it's lighter than my XZ. It's got the same sort of flatness of the Z3 except now there's a camera bulge at the back. It's a lot more rounded overall than the Z3 though. Saying that, the phone is not significantly larger than my XZ. I can fit it in my pocket.

Screen

Software

Other stuff

Setting up was a breeze using the Google App. Just deciding on how I'm going to use my phone.

Thank you for sharing! I hope it will work out well for your needs. I am glad to hear that it fits in your pocket and is working out decently at the moment.
    N_LaRUE likes this.
    06-19-2019 08:17 AM
    I stick with the stock launcher mainly because I'm lazy and can't be bothered to change it.
    I'm getting lazy like that these days too. I use that projectile vomit that's the stock launcher on the Mate 20 Pro. I still like a good 3rd party launcher though, with Nova and Niagara being my two preferred.

(it's not THAT horrible, just wanted to be dramatic).
    N_LaRUE and libra89 like this.
    06-19-2019 08:19 AM
    I'm semi looking forward to the new wireless headphones. I shouldn't have been so lazy and ordered the color I wanted, instead of getting stuck with using the white color.

I'll be relieved when the new all in one arrives, as I'm getting tired of hearing the gf complain when the current setup freezes.
    libra89 likes this.
    06-19-2019 08:25 AM
    I have some feelings for someone who is a friend of mine but it might be unrequited so I'm wrestling with them a little bit.
    By a bit, I mean that it is on my mind and I think about it but it isn't weighing me down. Unlike how I was the last time this happened years ago, I'm not a hot mess around them. I do feel like the feelings are kind of pointless though for some reasons.
    06-19-2019 08:47 AM
    I'm semi looking forward to the new wireless headphones. I shouldn't have been so lazy and ordered the color I wanted, instead of getting stuck with using the white color.

I'll be relieved when the new all in one arrives, as I'm getting tired of hearing the gf complain when the current setup freezes.
    Let us know how it treats you when you get it!

I hope the all in one comes in soon.
    06-19-2019 08:48 AM
    I should be looking forward to time off in a few weeks but with another programmatic change coming up, you can guess that even time lacks the same thrill as it used to.

I'm not miserable at my profession. I'm not unhappy about the clients I work with. It's just that the work in the current program I'm in is emotionally exhausting and management are longstanding experts in the ancient arts of the persistent cluster****.

It makes an incredibly difficult job more demanding than it needs to be. It's ready a great responsibility working with the clients I have - programmatic mismanagement is a distraction I don't need.
    libra89 likes this.
    06-19-2019 09:01 AM
    By a bit, I mean that it is on my mind and I think about it but it isn't weighing me down. Unlike how I was the last time this happened years ago, I'm not a hot mess around them. I do feel like the feelings are kind of pointless though for some reasons.
    So, is it preferable to be a cooler or cold mess instead of being a hot mess?

I saw this comment earlier and was waiting before replying. The best analogy I can say is that "there are lots of paintings out there that I like, lust after and can greatly appreciate - but it's not every artwork I want to take home to hang up in my house."

It happens. If you feel it's worth the risk, you'll explore it. If you feel it isn't, you won't. It sounds simple; all the emotionally handwringing you're doing is to help you pick between those two choices.
    libra89 likes this.
    06-19-2019 09:08 AM
    Let us know how it treats you when you get it!

I hope the all in one comes in soon.
    They both are to show up tomorrow. The GF was ready to return the ISP modem instantly and I had to remind her to wait first to ensure the new setup runs smoothly.
    libra89 and aximtreo like this.
    06-19-2019 09:10 AM
    So, is it preferable to be a cooler or cold mess instead of being a hot mess?

I saw this comment earlier and was waiting before replying. The best analogy I can say is that "there are lots of paintings out there that I like, lust after and can greatly appreciate - but it's not every artwork I want to take home to hang up in my house."

It happens. If you feel it's worth the risk, you'll explore it. If you feel it isn't, you won't. It sounds simple; all the emotionally handwringing you're doing is to help you pick between those two choices.
    LOL @ the cooler mess. I am amused by that. For me, yes it is better. I was told that one of the things is when you feel comfortable around them. That's a nice analogy, thank you for sharing that.

The issue is that we are really connected so that can be tough. It's true though. I don't feel comfortable sharing the levels of connection publicly but I'll consider what you said. I can believe that my therapist will probably tell me a similar thing tonight, lol.

Edit: Also what makes this interesting that my intersections of interests and lifestyle aren't as common to find together outside of myself. I don't need all of them to match but the ones that do are either important, cool and/or fun.
    Last edited by libra89; 06-19-2019 at 09:52 AM.
    N_LaRUE likes this.
    06-19-2019 09:26 AM
    So at work, we are building a Human Rights collection and this just came in. While MIA is probably very familiar with what this looks like, I'll like to read it.
    06-19-2019 10:23 AM
    I should be looking forward to time off in a few weeks but with another programmatic change coming up, you can guess that even time lacks the same thrill as it used to.

I'm not miserable at my profession. I'm not unhappy about the clients I work with. It's just that the work in the current program I'm in is emotionally exhausting and management are longstanding experts in the ancient arts of the persistent cluster****.

It makes an incredibly difficult job more demanding than it needs to be. It's ready a great responsibility working with the clients I have - programmatic mismanagement is a distraction I don't need.
    From what you share (here and the blog), there's no way I would not believe this. Management should do better with this issue as it sounds like they aren't helping anyone here with the ways they are doing things.
    06-19-2019 10:47 AM
    I'm working through the part of the job I don't like. One of my long-term clients passed on late last night.

It ain't easy being green indeed.
    06-19-2019 12:49 PM
    From what you share (here and the blog), there's no way I would not believe this. Management should do better with this issue as it sounds like they aren't helping anyone here with the ways they are doing things.
    I work in social services. Cluster**** management is standard operating procedure. It just doesn't make dealing with it any easier.
    libra89 likes this.
    06-19-2019 12:51 PM
152,172 ... 59455946594759485949 ...