Mini Review – Sony Xperia 1

So after a few days with the phone I thought I would do a fuller review.

Design:
    Since this is my first large phone I have to say I’m quite happy with the overall design. The narrow aspect and rounded edges makes holding this phone really easy. Being light weight helps a lot too. I find the placement of the camera lens good and I’m less likely to smear them with my finger as I used to with my XZ.

The right side of the phone is typical Sony for those who’ve had one in the past. Camera button on the bottom, power button and fingerprint scanner middle and volume at the top end.

The fingerprint scanner is way too sensitive. I know I mentioned this before but I’d like to say it’s slightly annoying as it registers false touches in your pocket. I do miss having the power button and scanner in one.

I have pretty large hands but I have to use two hands to use this phone sometimes and I don’t mind really.

The screen is very nice indeed. Though I did have some issues with looking at it outside in bright sunlight. I don’t have it cranked up to 4K but that’s not required for everyday use.

I haven’t tried this out on a full day so cannot say much about the battery at this stage. It seems to be good so far.

Software:
    As I haven’t used Android 9 before this I do find the gestures a bit new and different. I’m getting used to them but I can’t say I like them.

Sony’s additions to the software have been a bit annoying, even when I turned them off.

For example, it keeps asking me if I want to turn on side sense, camera burst and dynamic vibration. My assumption is that if I’m turning them off I want them off. So stop asking me!

Other than that this is pretty much stock Android and I’m happy with that.

Camera:
    So far I’ve only used the auto settings for the camera and I’ve been taking pictures in tricky situations. In general, I’m quite happy with the depth of field the camera delivers. The pictures may be true to life but I find they turn out a bit dark and I have to do some editing to bring out features more. This is a lighting issue and can be overcome with using the manual mode but goes to show the auto setting is good but not great.

I do wish the tap point for switching between cameras was either larger or somewhere else in the app. I keep missing it. It's currently located on the view screen which when missed changes your focus.

HDR is not available in auto mode either.

The maximum resolution can only be used in 4:3 which I find a bit odd but that’s typical of Sony.

I like the wide angle lens but I find that having to use another app to get rid of the fish-eye affect somewhat annoying. It’s something I’m still trying to do correctly using Snapseed. Any suggestions for apps would be nice.

I haven’t used the telephoto lens much but what I did take I was happy with.

Last bit is the lack of being able to save RAW images. Not entirely sure why Sony hasn’t done this but apparently using Open Camera (planning to try this) will allow RAW image capture.

I’m still getting used to the cameras and hope to take more shots in the future to keep testing things. I plan to get into the manual settings more.

Video:
    Not usually something I use that often but since Sony included the Cinema Pro app it would be silly not to have a go.

This is a bit complicated and it takes some time to get used to how this app works. At least for me. It’s got some nice features and I hope to take some more videos which I’ll share once I get my head around things more. It’s a neat app though.

Overall:
    I’m happy with the phone overall. I like the size, shape and overall use. I can’t complain too much.

I do hope Sony makes some changes to the camera software in the future but probably won’t happen.

I give the phone a 4.5/5 for the improvements over the XZ but it’s not perfect.
    Last edited by N_LaRUE; 06-24-2019 at 07:07 AM.
    06-24-2019 06:53 AM
    Are these rent controlled apartments? The reason I ask is because I know a lot of shady and illegal doings have gone on in order to force out tenants, and then sell the buildings to guys like Jared Kushner who renovate the property and raise the rents so that only rich people can afford to live there.
    This just stinks.

https://www.nydailynews.com/new-york...jxa-story.html
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    06-24-2019 07:45 AM

Design:
    Since this is my first large phone I have to say I’m quite happy with the overall design. The narrow aspect and rounded edges makes holding this phone really easy. Being light weight helps a lot too. I find the placement of the camera lens good and I’m less likely to smear them with my finger as I used to with my XZ.

The right side of the phone is typical Sony for those who’ve had one in the past. Camera button on the bottom, power button and fingerprint scanner middle and volume at the top end.

The fingerprint scanner is way too sensitive. I know I mentioned this before but I’d like to say it’s slightly annoying as it registers false touches in your pocket. I do miss having the power button and scanner in one.

I have pretty large hands but I have to use two hands to use this phone sometimes and I don’t mind really.

The screen is very nice indeed. Though I did have some issues with looking at it outside in bright sunlight. I don’t have it cranked up to 4K but that’s not required for everyday use.

I haven’t tried this out on a full day so cannot say much about the battery at this stage. It seems to be good so far.

Software:
    As I haven’t used Android 9 before this I do find the gestures a bit new and different. I’m getting used to them but I can’t say I like them.

Sony’s additions to the software have been a bit annoying, even when I turned them off.

For example, it keeps asking me if I want to turn on side sense, camera burst and dynamic vibration. My assumption is that if I’m turning them off I want them off. So stop asking me!

Camera:
    So far I’ve only used the auto settings for the camera and I’ve been taking pictures in tricky situations. In general, I’m quite happy with the depth of field the camera delivers. The pictures may be true to life but I find they turn out a bit dark and I have to do some editing to bring out features more. This is a lighting issue and can be overcome with using the manual mode but goes to show the auto setting is good but not great.

I do wish the tap point for switching between cameras was either larger or somewhere else in the app. I keep missing it. It's currently located on the view screen which when missed changes your focus.

The maximum resolution can only be used in 4:3 which I find a bit odd but that’s typical of Sony.

I like the wide angle lens but I find that having to use another app to get rid of the fish-eye affect somewhat annoying. It’s something I’m still trying to do correctly using Snapseed. Any suggestions for apps would be nice.

Last bit is the lack of being able to save RAW images. Not entirely sure why Sony hasn’t done this but apparently using Open Camera (planning to try this) will allow RAW image capture.

I’m still getting used to the cameras and hope to take more shots in the future to keep testing things. I plan to get into the manual settings more.

Video:
    Not usually something I use that often but since Sony included the Cinema Pro app it would be silly not to have a go.

This is a bit complicated and it takes some time to get used to how this app works. At least for me. It’s got some nice features and I hope to take some more videos which I’ll share once I get my head around things more. It’s a neat app though.

Overall:
    I’m happy with the phone overall. I like the size, shape and overall use. I can’t complain too much.

I do hope Sony makes some changes to the camera software in the future but probably won’t happen.

Nice review. Native RAW capture and OIS have always been top requests by high end Sony users. At least now you have the latter. Given them another phone cycle for you to get the former.
    Laura Knotek, libra89 and N_LaRUE like this.
    06-24-2019 07:59 AM
    Well, another week in paradise begins. At least there's a holiday next week. Then I'm off for a week after that.

Things to look forward to, I suppose. I just want a day where I can get some undisturbed sleep. Lol.
    N_LaRUE and Laura Knotek like this.
    06-24-2019 08:09 AM
    Washed my car the old way, hose, soap and elbow grease.. thank god it was a small car and I didn't have to wax/polish.. , cos I'm shattered
    06-24-2019 08:20 AM

Design:

Software:

Camera:

Video:

Overall:

Nice review. Thanks for the in depth information about the camera app especially.

I'm curious to learn how the Open Camera app compares to the stock camera app.
    libra89 and N_LaRUE like this.
    06-24-2019 11:33 AM

Design:

Software:

Camera:

Video:

Overall:

Yay! I was looking forward to this. So far, it sounds like it is workable for you. Hopefully it will continue to be. Thank you for sharing!

Let us know it goes with Open Camera. That was more of an option for me when I had the XZ2C.
    Laura Knotek and N_LaRUE like this.
    06-24-2019 02:05 PM
    Well, another week in paradise begins. At least there's a holiday next week. Then I'm off for a week after that.

Things to look forward to, I suppose. I just want a day where I can get some undisturbed sleep. Lol.
    I hope that the time from now to then zooms by.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    06-24-2019 02:07 PM
    Between 50-60%
    I would kill for that ultra-low humidity.
    Laura Knotek and N_LaRUE like this.
    06-24-2019 03:08 PM
    Yay! I was looking forward to this. So far, it sounds like it is workable for you. Hopefully it will continue to be. Thank you for sharing!

Let us know it goes with Open Camera. That was more of an option for me when I had the XZ2C.
    That'll be his best bet as the G cam port situation is all over the place for Sony phones.
    libra89 and Laura Knotek like this.
    06-24-2019 04:33 PM
    New week, same feeling of exhaustion.
    06-24-2019 06:07 PM
    I hope that the time from now to then zooms by.
    Hope springs eternal at the start of the week, and then I get to work...

Thanks. We'll see. Much to do to set up coverage. My role in the program changes next week.
    libra89 and Laura Knotek like this.
    06-24-2019 06:09 PM
    These ear hooks aren't that great for extended usage. I think the new earbuds work best for short bursts. Sound is still good - it supports the DTS surround on the V35, so that's a nice touch. Even with that turned off, I like the sound.
    Laura Knotek, N_LaRUE and libra89 like this.
    06-24-2019 06:50 PM
    Nice review. Thanks for the in depth information about the camera app especially.

I'm curious to learn how the Open Camera app compares to the stock camera app.
    I haven't taken any shots yet but it appears to let me take RAW so that's a good start.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    06-25-2019 01:01 AM
    I would kill for that ultra-low humidity.
    I don't miss high humidity at all. It's draining.

Thing to keep in mind here is that Paris and in general in France there's very few people with A/C and these temperatures are not typical for this area. The heat and humidity will just linger and be stifling.
    Laura Knotek and libra89 like this.
    06-25-2019 01:04 AM
    That'll be his best bet as the G cam port situation is all over the place for Sony phones.
    I know I wasn't able to capture RAW with Open Camera on my XZ. It's possible that this latest version of the OS will make the GCam port possible since it allows access to the Camera2 API.

I'd like to try a GCam port but I'll wait a little longer to see if there's success on the Xperia 1.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    06-25-2019 01:08 AM
    Lastly, I found a setting Display Size. This allows for increase size of elements. This includes the camera app so now I can actually see the lens switching point.

I still think it should be somewhere else on the screen. Yeah it's convenient for switching but a pain when you miss.
    Laura Knotek, libra89 and raycpl like this.
    06-25-2019 01:17 AM
    Another day in paradise. Looks like Mr. Clue is in a giving mood and sent me some more 305 weather. And here I thought I told him I had enough of that last week...
    Laura Knotek and aximtreo like this.
    06-25-2019 07:03 AM
    Another day in paradise. Looks like Mr. Clue is in a giving mood and sent me some more 305 weather. And here I thought I told him I had enough of that last week...
    The difference is that when we have historically high temps in June, hurricanes are just around the bend. The centers of high pressure that cook us move off to the north and east and they leave a yuuuge welcome mat for the August and September storms.

Y’all don’t get that. Sandy notwithstanding.
    Laura Knotek and aximtreo like this.
    06-25-2019 08:33 AM
    The difference is that when we have historically high temps in June, hurricanes are just around the bend. The centers of high pressure that cook us move off to the north and east and they leave a yuuuge welcome mat for the August and September storms.

Thanks to climate change extreme weather events are more common regardless and everywhere.

We get flooding and pretty nasty storms with damaging high winds.

Sure no hurricanes/cyclones but I think that's sufficient damage.

Soon there will be several million climate refugees in the next few years. Love to know how that's going to be handled...
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    06-25-2019 08:54 AM
    Thanks to climate change extreme weather events are more common regardless and everywhere.

We get flooding and pretty nasty storms with damaging high winds.

Sure no hurricanes/cyclones but I think that's sufficient damage.

Soon there will be several million climate refugees in the next few years. Love to know how that's going to be handled...
    Over here we got over the prolong dry months (courtesy of el nino). Agriculture loss due to low rainfall is real. One is the thing we do in wife's fruit farm is carry out flowering & fruit setting census for the durian trees (yeah, those thorny stinky things!!). The fruit setting was quite couraging and expected a bumper crop, but the hot dry spell resulted in very much lower yields.
    The weather is back to normality, mid 30s Celsius, humid and muggy. Heavy storms are back...
    N_LaRUE and Laura Knotek like this.
    06-25-2019 09:15 AM

As a very seasoned hurricane vet, Sandy doesn't count. Your point is well taken.

This weather overall is just crazy. I always find it interesting that the people who fight climate change do so vociferously can do so comfortably knowing they will be dead an gone before seeing any of the serious effects.

Life in 'Murica. Ain't it grand?
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    06-25-2019 09:24 AM
    Over here we got over the prolong dry months (courtesy of el nino). Agriculture loss due to low rainfall is real. One is the thing we do in wife's fruit farm is carry out flowering & fruit setting census for the durian trees (yeah, those thorny stinky things!!). The fruit setting was quite couraging and expected a bumper crop, but the hot dry spell resulted in very much lower yields.
    The weather is back to normality, mid 30s Celsius, humid and muggy. Heavy storms are back...
    Here we had a long stretch of cold weather and rain. It's affected the crops but mostly grape vines. So bad year for wine apparently but we'll see. I've heard some people say this happens frequently that the farmers complain then everything is fine. So who knows.

But now we're in a heat wave. For Europe that is. I know some won't see it that way.

The weather is a mess.
    Laura Knotek and raycpl like this.
    06-25-2019 02:28 PM
    As a very seasoned hurricane vet, Sandy doesn't count. Your point is well taken.

This weather overall is just crazy. I always find it interesting that the people who fight climate change do so vociferously can do so comfortably knowing they will be dead an gone before seeing any of the serious effects.

Life in 'Murica. Ain't it grand?
    The only people against the science of climate change are those with an agenda. Usually tired to lots of money. That includes the 2% of scientists...

Anyone else is just plain ignorant and either doesn't understand the science, which isn't hard really, or just doesn't care because jobs...

We're too glued to the idea of 'easy money'. Not realising that all these large polluting companies are given millions of dollars each year by governments for said jobs.

I guess the future didn't mean as much to some people as it does to others.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    06-25-2019 02:36 PM
    The only people against the science of climate change are those with an agenda. Usually tired to lots of money. That includes the 2% of scientists...

Anyone else is just plain ignorant and either doesn't understand the science, which isn't hard really, or just doesn't care because jobs...

We're too glued to the idea of 'easy money'. Not realising that all these large polluting companies are given millions of dollars each year by governments for said jobs.

I guess the future didn't mean as much to some people as it does to others.
    I just find it interesting that the most looney views have come from people who are in power and have access to privilege.
    Last edited by MSFTisMIA; 06-25-2019 at 07:35 PM.
    libra89, Laura Knotek and N_LaRUE like this.
    06-25-2019 04:09 PM
149,352 ... 59505951595259535954 ...