WC 1M Post Challenge - You Ready?!

Ed Boland

Retired Ambassador
Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
Re: WC 150K Post Challenge - You Ready?!

Wanna become an Ambassador over at imore?
Rob asked me about this a while back. I told him I'd rather keep things the way they are. I do visit iMore to keep up with the iOS news and such, but I don't really frequent the forums over there that much like I do here. He mentioned maybe doing ambassador for both as a "switch hitter", but I don't really want to try that and not be able to keep up with any expectations, or have anyone over there feel like I'm not doing my part. With work, and my personal hobbies (guitar/keyboard/synth music recording etc, and of course PC gaming!) taking up a lot of my free time, I have hard enough time over here trying to meet quotas and help people when and where I can lol

Even though I've moved back to iPhone as my daily driver platform, I'm still a Windows guy! That'll never change. Like I was telling Rob; while I do know iPhone/iPad and iOS inside and out, (I've been an iOS user since the beginning: I've had the original iPhone, the original iPad, the iPhone 3G, the iPhone 4, the iPhone 4S, and now the iPhone 6S Plus and the iPad Air 2) over here on the Windows side of things, I'm more of a tech/power user. I've only been using Microsoft products and building IBM/PC based systems since the DOS days. (eg. before Windows, and before the Internet!) I've built every desktop computer that's ever been running in my house (except for laptops and tablets!) from the ground up. I was building PCs back in the day way before the "Plug and Play" era (or "Plug and Pray" is what we used to say!) where we had to manually configure hardware to work with IRQ and DMA jumper switches. (man, we've come a long way!) So yeah, I do kinda know what I'm doing.. like I was telling Rob, while it's not my profession these days, I didn't attend ITT back in the 90's to learn how to bake cupcakes!

With Apple and iOS on the other hand, I'm more like a regular user. Sure, I know all the iOS settings and what they do, and know all the tricks and shortcuts of the OS, but when something breaks, I'm left waiting for Apple to fix it just like everyone else! lol

Ed Boland

Retired Ambassador
Nov 17, 2012
Visit site

Baseball is a very interesting sport. I get the slow paced Knock against it, and MLB has done some stuff to make the games overall slower (except for when the Boston Red Sox play the Yankees). Funny enough one of the first few games I watched when I was trying to understand the sport was a perfect game in 1999. It was after understood the rarity of it I was like "man, that was cool - wish I had taped it..."

G4 Approved

Being from Boston, The game I wish I had taped was in 2004... any Red Sox fan knows the game I am speaking of :D

Game four of the 2004 World Series, where the Red Sox came back from losing the first 3 games, (0-3 deficit - best of seven) to WIN the next four; the 4th game, shutting out the New York Yankees, then going on to beat the Cardinals and winning the 2004 World Series! Thereby effectively breaking the 86 year "Curse of the Bambino".... OMG, my mom and I actually cried that night sitting on the couch together... what a game.....

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site

Being from Boston, The game I wish I had taped was in 2004... any Red Sox fan knows the game I am speaking of :D

Game four of the 2004 World Series, where the Red Sox came back from losing the first 3 games, (0-3 deficit - best of seven) to WIN the next four; the 4th game, shutting out the New York Yankees, then going on to beat the Cardinals and winning the 2004 World Series! Thereby effectively breaking the 86 year "Curse of the Bambino".... OMG, my mom and I actually cried that night sitting on the couch together... what a game.....

I used to live by Yankee Stadium and I remember the game 7 from that series. My bedroom window overlooked the above ground #4 train and I could see the nosebleed seats from the stadium and overlooked one of the main package garages nearby. Yup, close enough to hear the road of the crowd...literally.

When Boston had the game in hand I'd never heard the Stadium so...quiet. I'll never forget that.

G4 Approved

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site
Looks like I found a tempered glass screen protector for my Sony SW3 on eBay. If this works well, I'll be so excited. Now if only I could get the metal strap for under $100...

G4 Approved

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site

On the weekend I was listening to a radio station online and it was playing 'classic rock' only to find out it was from the 80s&90s... Just to make me feel old... Now I have no issue being at that age where the music I listened to is now considered 'classic' but I did have a hard time believing Soundgarden - Black Hole Sun & Ugly Kid Joe - Everything About You were classic hits...

Two songs that epitomised how bad the 90s really were... Music wise.

I've also come to the conclusion there really isn't great rock anymore, which is a pity. I'm even having difficulty with good alternative rock. Sad really.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site

I'm streaming a bunch of albums by Rick Wakeman. Most likely, those albums would've only been played on free-form radio, even in the 70s.

Rose640

Jul 20, 2015
Visit site

On the weekend I was listening to a radio station online and it was playing 'classic rock' only to find out it was from the 80s&90s... Just to make me feel old... Now I have no issue being at that age where the music I listened to is now considered 'classic' but I did have a hard time believing Soundgarden - Black Hole Sun & Ugly Kid Joe - Everything About You were classic hits...

I've also come to the conclusion there really isn't great rock anymore, which is a pity. I'm even having difficulty with good alternative rock. Sad really.

I couldn't agree more. It seems to me that every band that call themselves a rock band is more of a pop rock actually.
Though, rock is kinda dead for now, even Gene Simmons said that, I think metal is doing pretty fine. We still have Rammstein, Slipknot and Disturbed is getting better and better.

Ed Boland

Retired Ambassador
Nov 17, 2012
Visit site

I'm sorry to say I know exactly what you mean! I've always said they "ran out" of music in the 80's. Everything that was ever good was recorded between the 50's and the 80's. Everything after that, is an already used regurgitated remix of a song that has already been written.. especially when we're talking about pop/rock songs you hear on the radio that consist no more than three chords. Don't even get me started about this rap or hip-hop stuff (notice I didn't say music?) that steals music and/or chord progressions from OUR era.

On the other hand though, I will say that all of that really only applies to mainstream radio and/or popular music (even "alternative") because great modern classical and/or technical music is still being written these days.

Rose640

Jul 20, 2015
Visit site

I'm sorry to say I know exactly what you mean! I've always said they "ran out" of music in the 80's. Everything that was ever good was recorded between the 50's and the 80's. Everything after that, is an already used regurgitated remix of a song that has already been written.. especially when we're talking about pop/rock songs you hear on the radio that consist no more than three chords. Don't even get me started about this rap or hip-hop stuff (notice I didn't say music?) that steals music and/or chord progressions from OUR era.

On the other hand though, I will say that all of that really only applies to mainstream radio and/or popular music (even "alternative") because great modern classical and/or technical music is still being written these days.

Well, try to tell that to everyone in my school, or tow, or country, or even god damn Balkan. I've already told you folks about 'turbo-folk', now that very name is sarcastic as much as it can get. They mixed folk, pop, rock, hip hop and rapping in it, count in total absence of music ('cause all you hear are few beats), consider that neither one of these performers can really sing well, now tell me, with that equation, dou you think it can sound good? Well, let me blow your surprise, it can't. It just can't and isn't. But yet everyone is listening to it, while I, a peaceful guy who listens to old rock and metal am being labeled as satanist and what not.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
moocher720