WC 1M Post Challenge - You Ready?!

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site
Re: WC 150K Post Challenge - You Ready?!

You know, I've never been a fan of one trick pony or what was called "Johnny One-Notes". If you are seen in different areas making the same style approaches and commentaries, it can show a lack of depth and range...and more importantly, get annoying.

I always told to "be the change that you want", instead of complaining about the need for making change happen...

G4 Approved

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site

Hey Sahib, how's your Band 2 holding up? Are you keeping an eye out for the issue I mentioned last time about the rash?

I'm surprised they made that design decision, MSFT that is. I know that they're aware of the issue because they created a care page, but that's definitely one are the Band 3 should address from a design standpoint...

G4 Approved

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site

All in all, I'm satisfied with the tech I have. I know the regulars have heard me say this before,but there's nothing compelling to reach into my wallet to buy so far. As much as I like the G5, I'm not selling my recently bought G4 for it.

But the year is young and I'm looking forward to the announcements. Hope HTC pulls a rabbit out of its hat next week.

G4 Approved

worldspy99

Nov 10, 2013
Visit site

All in all, I'm satisfied with the tech I have. I know the regulars have heard me say this before,but there's nothing compelling to reach into my wallet to buy so far. As much as I like the G5, I'm not selling my recently bought G4 for it.

But the year is young and I'm looking forward to the announcements. Hope HTC pulls a rabbit out of its hat next week.

G4 Approved
Rabbit = good
Lemon = bad....sour taste in mouth....

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site

So it appears the Lumia line is dead (no surprise really) and no new phones until 2017 from MS.

Hopefully the OEMs, what few actually produce anything, will produce something. :p

Lack of phones will reduce the numbers further on W10M... Then I guess the only way is up??? :p

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site

So it appears the Lumia line is dead (no surprise really) and no new phones until 2017 from MS.

Hopefully the OEMs, what few actually produce anything, will produce something. :p

Lack of phones will reduce the numbers further on W10M... Then I guess the only way is up??? :p

Ugh oem phones. Microsoft sometimes annoys me. Many of us are not wanting oem phones. I may give alcatel superphone a shot but I am disappointed that Microsoft Wong at least refresh the 950 line up with something slightly better.

Buying an OEM phone will equate to another hrc and Samsung situation.

I'm here for Lumia and Microsoft products. So I guess I'll have to either get a 950 or settle for less with OEMs

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site

Ugh oem phones. Microsoft sometimes annoys me. Many of us are not wanting oem phones. I may give alcatel superphone a shot but I am disappointed that Microsoft Wong at least refresh the 950 line up with something slightly better.

Buying an OEM phone will equate to another hrc and Samsung situation.

I'm here for Lumia and Microsoft products. So I guess I'll have to either get a 950 or settle for less with OEMs
PCs from OEMs are good though. So I wouldn't rule out Windows 10 Mobile devices from OEMs.

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site

PCs from OEMs are good though. So I wouldn't rule out Windows 10 Mobile devices from OEMs.

Laura that statement doesn't make much sense though. Comparing OEMs who make their bread and butter from windows pcs to OEMs who are unfortunately mostly dedicated to lagdroid are two entirely different things.

I wouldn't mind buying an OEM pc. Surface is just the best so I have no reason to.

One has to look at HTC, LG, Samsung, and the OEMs who make windows phone to see how poor of support they offer and be wary about buying it.

Don't forget the m8 owners (all 20 of them) expected longevity with it only for them to discover they aren't getting windows 10.

Anyone a fan of windows phone definitely needs to be wary of going with any OEM that is not Microsoft and I expect it'll be like last time. These superphones will come but not gain much traction as they are holding on to their Lumia's till surface arrives.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site

Laura that statement doesn't make much sense though. Comparing OEMs who make their bread and butter from windows pcs to OEMs who are unfortunately mostly dedicated to lagdroid are two entirely different things.

I wouldn't mind buying an OEM pc. Surface is just the best so I have no reason to.

One has to look at HTC, LG, Samsung, and the OEMs who make windows phone to see how poor of support they offer and be wary about buying it.

Don't forget the m8 owners (all 20 of them) expected longevity with it only for them to discover they aren't getting windows 10.

Anyone a fan of windows phone definitely needs to be wary of going with any OEM that is not Microsoft and I expect it'll be like last time. These superphones will come but not gain much traction as they are holding on to their Lumia's till surface arrives.

What's going to happen is this:

MS will make the 'Surface Phone' and price it like the Surface. High end devices showing the 'best' of W10M. It will be too high priced for the average consumer but will have all the features that W10M should have.

The OEMs will make phones for the rest. Brining in the features at a lower price point for the average consumer.

To be realistic, MS didn't want to get into the hardware business. This is obvious which is why their products tend to be expensive. I'm still having issues wanting to pay the money for a Surface Pro 3 docking station. I just can't justify the cost for a piece of plastic.

So I expect the same treatment with phones. Their phones will be like the iPhone but still have OEMs to pick up the slack. It's the only way that's going to work for MS. Otherwise OEMs will just not bother.

WP fans are wary of OEMs thanks to the Nokia/MS deal but now most have come to realise that Nokia/MS are no better at the end of the day.

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site

Except WIndows Central reported it may come in 3 different flavors......so the price points may be what we are used to Budget, Midrange and High end.....

I do hope they take an Apple approach as they always should have but I hope they are not counting on crap OEMs to fill in the hole.

Also it is time to stop blaming MS/Nokia deal......WP fans are wary of OEMs because of their actions.

HTC screwed their customers.
LG Screwed their customers....how's that LG lancet or whatever its called doing? Getting WIndows 10 anytime soon?

Samsung is even worse than HTC with Windows phone, which is saying something.

And let's not forget the other OEMs from yestercentury, like Huawei and Dell for example.

The nokla deal has nothing to do with users who chose Non-Nokia and Non-lumia devices being screwed over. Those HTC fans went with the M8 because HTC guaranteed them full support...and they at best got 1 or 2 updates for WP 8.1 and the hardware is basically useless now for Windows 10...the Samsung Ativ owners have to do a workaround just to get it and we know they aren't getting in.

Nokia/MS are far better with the WP because, while they screwed up, with the windows 10 update...the vast majority of Lumias have a far longer shelf life than any HTC, Samsung or other phone.

I've always said Microsoft relying on the OEMs is what got us here...we did better when we had Nokia aka a Main force focused on the platform.

Microsoft's biggest mistake is them expecting OEMs, who are pro-android, to carry the weight of the OS and killing Lumia along with it...

Thankfully, I haven't gotten that desperate to truly go out and buy an android or IOS device and thankfully WP 8.1 and Windows 10 are working just fine.

Microsoft needs to remember what got it any sense of success...nokia and replicate that.

Going back to your WP 7 roots where you relied on OEMs is precisely what is killing the platform as it is.

What's going to happen is this:

MS will make the 'Surface Phone' and price it like the Surface. High end devices showing the 'best' of W10M. It will be too high priced for the average consumer but will have all the features that W10M should have.

The OEMs will make phones for the rest. Brining in the features at a lower price point for the average consumer.

To be realistic, MS didn't want to get into the hardware business. This is obvious which is why their products tend to be expensive. I'm still having issues wanting to pay the money for a Surface Pro 3 docking station. I just can't justify the cost for a piece of plastic.

So I expect the same treatment with phones. Their phones will be like the iPhone but still have OEMs to pick up the slack. It's the only way that's going to work for MS. Otherwise OEMs will just not bother.

WP fans are wary of OEMs thanks to the Nokia/MS deal but now most have come to realise that Nokia/MS are no better at the end of the day.

Ed Boland

Retired Ambassador
Nov 17, 2012
Visit site

So in my gaming ventures, I just realized last night that I can get the Unreal 4 engine and Unreal Tournament Pre Alpha all for free.

Being a former map maker/level designer, this new U4 stuff is really interesting (though what I'm really waiting for is the "Snap-map" editor for the new Doom!) I've made maps for the old school Doom, Hexen, Quake (I, II, and III) as well as the Source engine games: Half Life, Counter Strike, HL2 deathmatch etc with the "Hammer" editor.

*sigh*

My free time is always dwindling away...

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site

Except WIndows Central reported it may come in 3 different flavors......so the price points may be what we are used to Budget, Midrange and High end.....

I do hope they take an Apple approach as they always should have but I hope they are not counting on crap OEMs to fill in the hole.

Also it is time to stop blaming MS/Nokia deal......WP fans are wary of OEMs because of their actions.

HTC screwed their customers.
LG Screwed their customers....how's that LG lancet or whatever its called doing? Getting WIndows 10 anytime soon?

Samsung is even worse than HTC with Windows phone, which is saying something.

And let's not forget the other OEMs from yestercentury, like Huawei and Dell for example.

The nokla deal has nothing to do with users who chose Non-Nokia and Non-lumia devices being screwed over. Those HTC fans went with the M8 because HTC guaranteed them full support...and they at best got 1 or 2 updates for WP 8.1 and the hardware is basically useless now for Windows 10...the Samsung Ativ owners have to do a workaround just to get it and we know they aren't getting in.

Nokia/MS are far better with the WP because, while they screwed up, with the windows 10 update...the vast majority of Lumias have a far longer shelf life than any HTC, Samsung or other phone.

I've always said Microsoft relying on the OEMs is what got us here...we did better when we had Nokia aka a Main force focused on the platform.

Microsoft's biggest mistake is them expecting OEMs, who are pro-android, to carry the weight of the OS and killing Lumia along with it...

Thankfully, I haven't gotten that desperate to truly go out and buy an android or IOS device and thankfully WP 8.1 and Windows 10 are working just fine.

Microsoft needs to remember what got it any sense of success...nokia and replicate that.

Going back to your WP 7 roots where you relied on OEMs is precisely what is killing the platform as it is.

The main reason why OEMs don't care is because the market share is so low. Why support something that has virtually no users?

The other aspect is the personal touch that OEMs like to put on phones. You can't really do that with W10M and it takes away the 'personal' touch that OEMs want.

As for what will come out in 2017 we simply don't know. Sure they're talking three flavours but we have no idea of pricing. The categories don't really help either. What is the pricing of a 'consumer' phone?

Lastly, it was the Nokia/MS deal that did turn off a lot of OEMs. Everyone associated Lumia and WP. MS gave money to Nokia to push WP. So take it from there. How would you feel as another OEM which is what Nokia was supposed to be. It was obvious for anyone to see that Nokia was seen as WP. If I was an OEM I'd feel the same way.

Nokia also flooded the market with all kinds of variants which didn't help. The Nokia mode was never a good one and the reason why they're no longer making phones. They'd be smart not to replicate it. It's not profitable.

Also having MS manufacture high, mid and low end phones takes away a lot of space for an OEM especially when customers are big on having the 'real' W10M.

Lumia was dead the minute MS bought Nokia. Anyone who thinks differently hasn't got a clue about business.

Also from a business perspective, being an OEM why wouldn't you be pro Android? You'd be crazy not to. MS would be smart to court OEMs but they need to get them on board in the right way. Right now, they're not succeeding at that. Or at much when it comes to the mobile space.

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site

Lumia was not dead the minute MS brought Nokia's device division. Had they left Lumia with Nokia, we would have seen what likely happens now...an Android OEM splitting time/attention between two OS. Where Microsoft went wrong was simply by taking forever to do anything with the division and when they did it was half-hearted.

As an OEM, I would be wise to do what I needed to do for my business...However, I'd also realize that I am struggling with Android. Given attention and time and marketing to my phones I've created for another OS may help diversify my portfolio. Putting all their eggs in one basket with no plan B, is precisely why HTC is in the state it is in. It had a lead in Windows mobile, Windows Phone 7 and early WP 8...it quickly was overshadowed by Nokia. On the Android side of things, HTC basically pulled a Microsoft and rested on their laurels and were quickly replaced by Samsung, LG and Motorola.

It's why Samsung tried to go with their OWN os because they realize while Android may be profitable they also are being controlled by google. Why do you think Cyanogen is trying to take Android away from Google. These OEMs need a Plan B, especially when they cant compete against Samsung as it is.

A smart OEM would realize that all eggs in one basket can spell trouble when you don't have a fallback plan to fall on.

The nokia Model is precisely what the Android model is. flooding the market with a ton of hardware which causes the marketshare to skyrocket and more devices sold. It's precisely how android got popular. It's also why Windows Phone's highest marketshare and devices sold happened because there were more options for people to choose. We are down to four models and they are scattered around and far less embraced than before by carriers/retailers thus marketshare has fallen.

Was it sustainable? No. But the key difference is, it did at least give the product some momentum vs what Microsoft has done since buying Nokia. Marketshare would not have dropped as bad as it had, had there been something released between the Icon/930 and the 950s....a simple refresh of the 930/1520 could have helped. Pushing the 640 even harder...Pricing the 830 better out the gate.

Instead little choice between then caused the marketshare to drop...and if it is true we don't get anything except a 650 this year, marketshare will drop because there is nothing for anyone to buy as many people are not going to want to buy last year's flagship.

OEMs don't care because Marketshare is so low? I got that.
But releasing a phone and abandoning your customers is exactly THEIR FAULT. That has nothing to do with a Nokia deal/MS deal. It has nothing to do with Lumias being the dominant force. It has to do with the fact these OEMs abandon their user and that is why users are sticking with/too Lumia.

The only phone I have moderately heard any excitement over is the HP phone. Even the Jade Primo was hot for all of a day and it became irrelevant. Most people will likely continue buying Lumias until OEMs manage to gain their trust...and someone is going to have to take the risk first.

As far as OEM customization, the Smartest thing Microsoft ever did was to disallow that from happening. I would rather they had more control over the hardware still as I hate the fact we get these regurgitated Android redesigns but THANK GOD they do not allow OEMs to customize anything on the OS software.

We do not need a bunch of launchers and home screens like android. Especially since many OEMs are moving away from heavy UI.

What Microsoft is encouraging and I support is allowing them to differentiate on hardware.
The day Microsoft allows OEMs to customize the platform, might be the day I strongly consider an iPhone.

Microsoft needs to stop trying to chase the Android methodology and take after apple...Android on its own sucks outside of Galaxy and the only reason Galaxy is popular is not because of Android, is because Samsung literally copies whatever apple does.

The day Microsoft finds its inner apple is the day Windows 10 mobile truly will actually have true success, I do believe.

The main reason why OEMs don't care is because the market share is so low. Why support something that has virtually no users?

The other aspect is the personal touch that OEMs like to put on phones. You can't really do that with W10M and it takes away the 'personal' touch that OEMs want.

As for what will come out in 2017 we simply don't know. Sure they're talking three flavours but we have no idea of pricing. The categories don't really help either. What is the pricing of a 'consumer' phone?

Lastly, it was the Nokia/MS deal that did turn off a lot of OEMs. Everyone associated Lumia and WP. MS gave money to Nokia to push WP. So take it from there. How would you feel as another OEM which is what Nokia was supposed to be. It was obvious for anyone to see that Nokia was seen as WP. If I was an OEM I'd feel the same way.

Nokia also flooded the market with all kinds of variants which didn't help. The Nokia mode was never a good one and the reason why they're no longer making phones. They'd be smart not to replicate it. It's not profitable.

Also having MS manufacture high, mid and low end phones takes away a lot of space for an OEM especially when customers are big on having the 'real' W10M.

Lumia was dead the minute MS bought Nokia. Anyone who thinks differently hasn't got a clue about business.

Also from a business perspective, being an OEM why wouldn't you be pro Android? You'd be crazy not to. MS would be smart to court OEMs but they need to get them on board in the right way. Right now, they're not succeeding at that. Or at much when it comes to the mobile space.

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site

Success? What sense of success has MSFT had? Especially since they haven't had a clear direction from as far back as Windows Mobile 2003SE?

What success did Nokia have? Nokia was brought in to build a brand and that's what they did with the entire Lumia line. Most successful businesses are still in business and are making profits. Nokia as a smartphone OEM is currently doing neither. How was that successful? So they unified the 10 people who bought Windows Phone...so what? Where is the increased market share? Where are the other indicators that the industry is taking notice? Where are the big app makers lining up and found the block to support Windows 10 en masse?

Do you not see that at the end, all Nokia did was swap Symbian for WP but still keep those bad habits of overextending itself by having a phone in literally every price point with little differentiation?

All OEMs on WP screwed their customers. But MSFT has set the hardware requirements since WP7 and has screwed people too.

It's too early in the morning for this flogging a dead horse discussion. Sounds like one of those weekly meetings I have to suffer through at work.

G4 Approved

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site

"The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again expecting different results."

If you spin your message the same way and no one listens, how can you know if it's the message that's ****ed up or the delivery that's ****ed up?

G4 Approved

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site

Morning folks.

Personally, I'd love to see MSFT release the Surface phones in fall next year and kill off OS update support for the entire Lumia brand (including the 950, 550 and 650) at that point. Keep it to 4 phones from them on 2 year OS update cycles with annual refreshes. I don't want them as a hardware OEM. Let them do software with a small number to support and code.

I mean, if you're going to kill off a brand and replace with another one, might as well do it in a different way, right?

G4 Approved

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
COME ON WIN ANDROID (ADI)