It's pretty cold here at the moment. Not sure about plus sides to climate change and freezing inside a poorly insulated house...

The likelihood of my needing to change diapers any time in the future, regardless of the quantity of iPadding, is ZERO. :)
    I had such a comment flashed in my head that if I posted it, I'd spend Christmas in Laura's doghouse - no one has time for that with that wind whipping in off the lake.
    Laura Knotek and N_LaRUE like this.
    11-13-2019 01:09 PM
    It's pretty cold here at the moment. Not sure about plus sides to climate change and freezing inside a poorly insulated house...

The likelihood of my needing to change diapers any time in the future, regardless of the quantity of iPadding, is ZERO. :)
    Stop flaunting your position of privilege in the thread (heavy sarcasm alert). Some of us have to be cognizant of the diaper issue...

...and like you, I'm not one of those people.
    Laura Knotek, N_LaRUE and aximtreo like this.
    11-13-2019 04:15 PM
    Watched a video and the comment section has comments from others like me (people who share a part of my experience, the least common part), and it makes me wonder if it's worth it to be with someone. Idealistically, yes, it is but is it worth my personal trade offs? Is it worth possibly considering having a child for the sake of the other person, since that is what it will be?

That's all I can say. I'll have to wait to develop this in ~5 hours, elsewhere.
    The better experts here can jump in...

...I can only state where it's very few people in relationships have found 100% of what they wanted from the other people. It seems to be about staying in the tradeoffs that's are being made. Some are logical and straightforward, otherwise are emotional and don't always make sense.

Stay in tune and it will make figuring this out easier.
    libra89, N_LaRUE, aximtreo and 1 others like this.
    11-13-2019 05:43 PM
    The better experts here can jump in...

...I can only state where it's very few people in relationships have found 100% of what they wanted from the other people. It seems to be about staying in the tradeoffs that's are being made. Some are logical and straightforward, otherwise are emotional and don't always make sense.

Stay in tune and it will make figuring this out easier.
    Thank you for this viewpoint. That does give me a little bit of hope.

I'll try to do that. It just seems extra hard with life changing decisions. Small things aren't really a huge deal to me, unless it adds up to really be an issue.
    11-13-2019 07:52 PM
    Had an amazing dinner at Verde Mesa in Old town San Juan. Highly recommended.
    libra89, N_LaRUE, aximtreo and 1 others like this.
    11-13-2019 08:03 PM
    Watched a video and the comment section has comments from others like me (people who share a part of my experience, the least common part), and it makes me wonder if it's worth it to be with someone. Idealistically, yes, it is but is it worth my personal trade offs? Is it worth possibly considering having a child for the sake of the other person, since that is what it will be?

That's all I can say. I'll have to wait to develop this in ~5 hours, elsewhere.
    Relationships is about trade offs and compromise. The thing you have to determine is what your willing to do with both. What are your red lines and what is flexible.

There's a lot other factors involved with this of course but you need to think from your personal perspective about what matters to you. Don't get bullied into doing things you don't want to do. Be who you are and find the person who is willing to accept most of that. That's not an easy task but it's very possible even in today's messed up dating scene.

I'm not one that believes in the fairy tale love that's often displayed in books and movies. Our biology plays a big role in producing that mental state that happens during what's called 'first blush'. It lasts for about two years. Real relationships take work, compromise and trade offs. Love is acceptance of the other person's differences from your own and finding the common ground to keep the relationship together.

That's my point of view anyway.
    11-14-2019 01:59 AM
    So just a quick update of life at the moment.

Yesterday we went to look at a potential house to rent. We liked it, told the agent we wanted it immediately (saying this to hopefully work to our advantage) and things seem good at the moment. However, this is France. The land of tick-boxes and paperwork. The land that wants to progress to the future but is still stuck in the past in a lot of ways. One of them being rental agreements. There's many others but I'm trying to stay on topic.

So even though we like it, the agent needs to send our paperwork to an assessor to determine if we're worthy of having this rental. Assessment is based on our paperwork with I guess some input from the agent but mostly our paperwork.

At this stage I can't say one way or the other what our chances are. Due to the ideology of rentals outside of Paris City, most want rental candidates to have a permanent full time job (yeah really) and been living in France for at least 3 years with taxes to prove it. So no idea what our chances at this moment with our measly one year tax return and contract jobs.

It's possible they may want a couple of things that will get us over the line and we may be able to work with that but I don't know. Also the owner has some say about this as well. They may like the idea of a mature couple having the house.

Anyway, it's a waiting game.

We sent off our notice to vacate our current rental to the owners in Canada. We leave Dec 10th. The system here is a bit ridiculous but they seemed to have agreed to our date so I personally don't care. They haven't exactly followed the rules either and I'll be happy to point this out to them if they wan to contest things.

Lastly we're heading back to our farm to sort things out prior to the winter. We have no plans to head back during the coldest months if we can avoid it.
    11-14-2019 02:16 AM

Yesterday we went to look at a potential house to rent. We liked it, told the agent we wanted it immediately (saying this to hopefully work to our advantage) and things seem good at the moment. However, this is France. The land of tick-boxes and paperwork. The land that wants to progress to the future but is still stuck in the past in a lot of ways. One of them being rental agreements. There's many others but I'm trying to stay on topic.

So even though we like it, the agent needs to send our paperwork to an assessor to determine if we're worthy of having this rental. Assessment is based on our paperwork with I guess some input from the agent but mostly our paperwork.

At this stage I can't say one way or the other what our chances are. Due to the ideology of rentals outside of Paris City, most want rental candidates to have a permanent full time job (yeah really) and been living in France for at least 3 years with taxes to prove it. So no idea what our chances at this moment with our measly one year tax return and contract jobs.

It's possible they may want a couple of things that will get us over the line and we may be able to work with that but I don't know. Also the owner has some say about this as well. They may like the idea of a mature couple having the house.

We sent off our notice to vacate our current rental to the owners in Canada. We leave Dec 10th. The system here is a bit ridiculous but they seemed to have agreed to our date so I personally don't care. They haven't exactly followed the rules either and I'll be happy to point this out to them if they wan to contest things.

Lastly we're heading back to our farm to sort things out prior to the winter. We have no plans to head back during the coldest months if we can avoid it.
    Good luck with landing the new lease!
    N_LaRUE, libra89 and Laura Knotek like this.
    11-14-2019 04:09 AM
    Some pictures from Old town San Juan near the Governor's mansion which was the scene of some pretty large protests a few months ago when Puerto Ricans kicked out governor Ricardo Rosello.

11-14-2019 04:12 AM
    The grind is getting more savage and the light at the end of the tunnel more distant.
    Laura Knotek and aximtreo like this.
    11-14-2019 07:59 AM
    Good luck with landing the new lease!
    Luck is the right word....
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    11-14-2019 08:15 AM
    Relationships is about trade offs and compromise. The thing you have to determine is what your willing to do with both. What are your red lines and what is flexible.

There's a lot other factors involved with this of course but you need to think from your personal perspective about what matters to you. Don't get bullied into doing things you don't want to do. Be who you are and find the person who is willing to accept most of that. That's not an easy task but it's very possible even in today's messed up dating scene.

I'm not one that believes in the fairy tale love that's often displayed in books and movies. Our biology plays a big role in producing that mental state that happens during what's called 'first blush'. It lasts for about two years. Real relationships take work, compromise and trade offs. Love is acceptance of the other person's differences from your own and finding the common ground to keep the relationship together.

That's my point of view anyway.
    Thank you for this wisdom! I'll keep this in mind.
    N_LaRUE likes this.
    11-14-2019 08:54 AM
    Luck is the right word....
    Sometimes it's better to be lucky enough good...
    N_LaRUE likes this.
    11-14-2019 09:04 AM

I wish y'all good luck with the new lease in that you will get it and the current rental wouldn't have any issues with leaving. It sounds like you are covered on all sides.
    N_LaRUE likes this.
    11-14-2019 09:11 AM
    Sometimes it's better to be lucky enough good...
    This is France. Luck is not really a thing when dealing with bureaucracy.
    11-14-2019 09:12 AM
    A couple of more pictures while I wait to catch my connection back to LA.

The opposite side of the street and a small chapel.
    11-14-2019 10:48 AM
    Here are some close-ups of the umbrella installation. Pixel 3a keeps up with the iPhone 11. In a side by side comparison the iPhone 11 Pro had pretty bad lens spots whereas Pixel was just fine.
    libra89, N_LaRUE and Laura Knotek like this.
    11-14-2019 10:50 AM
    Street where we got ice cream. The moon was in a good spot.
    11-14-2019 10:51 AM
    Steampunk sculpture and another restaurant across the ice cream place.
    11-14-2019 10:53 AM
    Food was amazing especially the dessert. Purple Cloud.

Also got flourless chocolate cake.
    11-14-2019 10:55 AM
    Oh and some rolled Piña Colada icecream.
    11-14-2019 10:55 AM
    Any thoughts on the 2019 Razr?
    Laura Knotek and aximtreo like this.
    11-14-2019 11:53 AM
    This is France. Luck is not really a thing when dealing with bureaucracy.
    At least you don't have to grease palms to get the standard stuff that's done for free covered...
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    11-14-2019 11:54 AM
    Any thoughts on the 2019 Razr?
    Other than it looks cute, won't get software updates and I won't buy it?
    libra89 and Laura Knotek like this.
    11-14-2019 11:55 AM
    Other than it looks cute, won't get software updates and I won't buy it?
    Your response is totally something you would say, and I get it.

It is pricey but probably my favorite foldable released. The size when folded, the lack of bulk and even the width when open is nice (when it comes to aesthetics and size). I like the idea but I'm with you, I won't buy.
    11-14-2019 12:04 PM
152,170 ... 60626063606460656066 ...