So...I'm thinking about getting a Xioami as an intermezzo device, depending on what gets announced by LG at MWC this year. I somehow have a suspicion that LG will punt again this year (strong in audio, manual mode - decent auto mode and not very good pricing wise).

I was initially leaning towards a Mi Mix 3 5g, but if I plan to really use this as a daily driver, I may be better served with a Mi 9T pro. My ultimate preference would be a Xperia 5 or V50, my issues are that the Xperia 5 is too expensive and I cannot get my hands on a V50 (Korean) in a non hassle free manner (eBay). I would rather something smaller, but I don't want to get a G8 (V50 is preferred here).

I'd rather get a new device (I can get a mint Xperia 1 under $500). The camera for the both devices seem good enough to get by and I can find a G cam port if I need too. If I get a 9T pro, I might get a 256GB version vs the 128 model.

Normally a ZTE Axon 10 Pro would be considered (big screen, big battery, expanded storage and Qi). But, it's a curved screen and quite frankly, my Mate 20 Pro still betters this phone. Plus it seems like the Xioami has better cameras than the Axon here.

The battery of the V40 (which wasn't new upon purchase), isn't holding up as well as I would like. Xiaomi still has some of the better 3.5mm around, so it's not a total loss there. Not a fan of the no IP rating or Qi, but I've used Xiaomi devices before (and use their tablet daily). Still, it's earlier days yet. I can wait another month.
    Make sure there's a G-Cam port available for the Xperia. Sony's have been notoriously difficult to get ports without having to root or at least install a custom recovery. I'd still be on my XA2 Ultra if it weren't such a hassle. BTW, the camera on this Note9 is the shizzle. That Night Mode impressed me bigly.
    libra89, Laura Knotek and aximtreo like this.
    01-16-2020 10:26 AM
    I have a Lumia 925 but do not have the time to get it on to Windows 10.
    Perhaps I should look up some online stuff on it.
    Laura Knotek, N_LaRUE and aximtreo like this.
    01-16-2020 10:47 AM
    So yesterday I had to go see a supplier about 70 miles away. Getting down there wasn't too shabby - 1 hour 35 min. Coming back home around 5PM was a slog and a half. Got home about 2.5 hours later. Ugh, I hate LA traffic.

Oh and I have to go do a LAX run today as well.

Fun times indeed.
    Laura Knotek, N_LaRUE and aximtreo like this.
    01-16-2020 10:48 AM
    Make sure there's a G-Cam port available for the Xperia. Sony's have been notoriously difficult to get ports without having to root or at least install a custom recovery. I'd still be on my XA2 Ultra if it weren't such a hassle. BTW, the camera on this Note9 is the shizzle. That Night Mode impressed me bigly.
    I was satisfied with the camera on the XZ2 when I had it, so I doubt I'd use a g cam port on the Xperia 5 if I bought one. I stopped searching for G cam ports for the V40 a while back and stopped using them on the V35.

I like to have the G cam port for moments when I want to be lazy, but I'm learning not to rely on them as much because they came out too blue/green the last few builds in used. I know that because of how popular Oneplus and Xiaomi devices are with devs, I can find an updated G cam port.
    libra89 and Laura Knotek like this.
    01-16-2020 11:14 AM
    Wow, this is truly a twist. Dang. Sounds like a decision might have to be made.
    So the there was no issues.

The other apartment is ours now. So it's all good.

Here's one side of the view. The other looks onto a large park.

Yes that the Eiffel Tower and the Pantheon. Unfortunately phone cameras stuck still.

That's not that far away as it looks.
    MSFTisMIA, libra89, raycpl and 2 others like this.
    01-16-2020 02:04 PM

Yes that the Eiffel Tower and the Pantheon. Unfortunately phone cameras stuck still.

That's not that far away as it looks.[IMG=1008x756]https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20200116/2d655adbf5a051debe5afcb8587c4a34.jpg[/url]
    Yay, congratulations!

Also what a view...
    Laura Knotek and N_LaRUE like this.
    01-16-2020 04:08 PM
    I have a Lumia 925 but do not have the time to get it on to Windows 10.
    Perhaps I should look up some online stuff on it.
    Probably the most elegant looking Lumia ever but I don't know if 1 gig is going to cut it.
    Laura Knotek and aximtreo like this.
    01-16-2020 04:34 PM
    Probably the most elegant looking Lumia ever but I don't know if 1 gig is going to cut it.
    Still wished I owned one of those 32GB models with the Qi in plate built in. That was a fun phone indeed.
    Laura Knotek and aximtreo like this.
    01-16-2020 04:45 PM

That's not that far away as it looks.[IMG=1008x756]https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20200116/2d655adbf5a051debe5afcb8587c4a34.jpg[/url]
    Congratulations on getting the new apartment. Good luck with moving.

That is a beautiful photo.
    libra89, N_LaRUE and aximtreo like this.
    01-16-2020 08:50 PM
    Today was a long and strange day. I'm glad it's over. Tomorrow may be another long one before the holiday weekend.

I need to get on with it.
    01-16-2020 09:58 PM
    Well well well
    Took a couple of tries and an hour but I figured it out.img_20200116_203212.jpeg
    N_LaRUE, aximtreo, raycpl and 3 others like this.
    01-16-2020 10:33 PM
    Friday, eh? Guess I'll be more excited later on. At least it's a holiday weekend. Something to look forward to.
    N_LaRUE, libra89 and Laura Knotek like this.
    01-17-2020 06:17 AM
    Decided to dig out an old favorite keyboard after getting annoyed with both Google and Swfitkey. Been a while since I used the old BlackBerry keyboard. Going completely old school - no predictive words as that can be incredibly distracting. Wish I could better three it to take away this grey look and make ot true black...but will make ot work as usual.
    01-17-2020 06:19 AM
    When we actually move in to our new place, beginning of Feb, I'll get the DSLR out and take some decent shots.

The apartment is double aspect. We face NW/SE. This is common here in Paris. Especially for larger apartments (2 or more bedrooms).

In our case we're also top floor which is nice. It was a desire but it seemed an unlikely possibility. Most rental places are ground, 1st & 2nd. Typically the worst.

The compromises with this place are mostly due to our being in an area without a fast train into Paris. The others being that the two bedrooms and kitchen are on the small side.

However the living room/dining is huge and we have an enclosed glass balcony that we're going to 'junglfy'. The doors open on the balcony as well and there is a view towards Sacre Coeur but it's not great.

We are well connected though. I only need one bus (20 min) to get to work and there's literally a Metro station out front. The Metro isn't the best station and it's slow which is why I said this place is a bit of a compromise.

We're in a general good location overall though.
    01-17-2020 06:31 AM
    Been a long day...
    Took the car to the shop to replace rear absorbers and the front set of absorber bush. Wheel alignment was next. The car drives and feels so much better.... I guess we can't skint on stuff like these to make driving safer.

Then the heavens opened up and the I had a free car wash!!!

The heat and humidity so suffocating. Having the aircon on offers temporary relief.. this calls for more serious remedy... so..
    shaved ice with cream corn and assorted jellies...!!!!
    01-17-2020 06:40 AM
    When we actually move in to our new place, beginning of Feb, I'll get the DSLR out and take some decent shots.

The apartment is double aspect. We face NW/SE. This is common here in Paris. Especially for larger apartments (2 or more bedrooms).

In our case we're also top floor which is nice. It was a desire but it seemed an unlikely possibility. Most rental places are ground, 1st & 2nd. Typically the worst.

The compromises with this place are mostly due to our being in an area without a fast train into Paris. The others being that the two bedrooms and kitchen are on the small side.

However the living room/dining is huge and we have an enclosed glass balcony that we're going to 'junglfy'. The doors open on the balcony as well and there is a view towards Sacre Coeur but it's not great.

We are well connected though. I only need one bus (20 min) to get to work and there's literally a Metro station out front. The Metro isn't the best station and it's slow which is why I said this place is a bit of a compromise.

We're in a general good location overall though.
    Nice! I'm glad that it worked out for y'all.
    N_LaRUE and Laura Knotek like this.
    01-17-2020 07:32 AM
    I'm finally fully adjusted back to EST.

In more interesting news, I might be looking for a new computer sometime this year. My computer has been good to me but I have had issues getting into it 2 times lately. Last May, it needed a refresh. For the past 2 days, my computer installed a critical update and I couldn't get into it until I did a refresh. Before my trip, I had a similar issue with a Windows update first and then after updating a program (so had to do a system restore). This is tiring. My current laptop has an optic drive, which is awesome but I'm saddened about not being able to have one for the next computer.
    Last edited by libra89; 01-17-2020 at 10:05 AM.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    01-17-2020 09:50 AM
    Since I still have my savings goal to meet (for a bigger goal), I have some funds to help with that but considering what 99 and MIA went through, I'll have to save a bit more to make this happen, while I look. I don't need the amount of storage that y'all chose though and I have had this computer for almost 5 years. I do know that I'll prefer to have a dedicated graphics card and decent RAM though.

Having a lighter computer will be nice though for when I'll need to carry it.
    aximtreo and Laura Knotek like this.
    01-17-2020 10:10 AM
    Friday, eh? Guess I'll be more excited later on. At least it's a holiday weekend. Something to look forward to.
    I'm also looking forward to the weekend as well. I need to do a lot of cleaning (especially laundry) and it's great to know that losing most of a day to that isn't the end of the weekend for me.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    01-17-2020 11:15 AM
    Got an appointment to get my Eve V tuned up. Noticed that I only have 90GB free on a 256GB machine and I only have 10GB personal files.
    01-17-2020 11:19 AM
    Got an appointment to get my Eve V tuned up. Noticed that I only have 90GB free on a 256GB machine and I only have 10GB personal files.
    Dang, I wish you good luck with that as it seems like you really like it. That's a lot of space used. Is that due to Windows 10? I think I should be fine with 128GB.
    01-17-2020 11:27 AM
    Dang, I wish you good luck with that as it seems like you really like it. That's a lot of space used. Is that due to Windows 10? I think I should be fine with 128GB.
    New laptop has 512GB SSD.
    I am usually fine with 256GB and a 256GB SD card.
    01-17-2020 02:33 PM
    I'm also looking forward to the weekend as well. I need to do a lot of cleaning (especially laundry) and it's great to know that losing most of a day to that isn't the end of the weekend for me.
    There are a few things I want to do as well. Weather looks like it will be an inconsistent but cold mess. I'll keep it low key. Just need to clear a few hurdles and then I feel like I can make a few moves.
    01-17-2020 06:54 PM
    Since I still have my savings goal to meet (for a bigger goal), I have some funds to help with that but considering what 99 and MIA went through, I'll have to save a bit more to make this happen, while I look. I don't need the amount of storage that y'all chose though and I have had this computer for almost 5 years. I do know that I'll prefer to have a dedicated graphics card and decent RAM though.

Having a lighter computer will be nice though for when I'll need to carry it.
    More cushin' for the pushin', I'd say...

...i meant, if I'm going to spend the $$$ on a device I'm not going to change for a while, I'd rather have the extra horsepower.
    libra89, Laura Knotek and N_LaRUE like this.
    01-17-2020 07:31 PM
    While merely a dusting, it's still a pain in the ***. 20200118_130042_hdr.jpeg20200118_125953.jpeg20200118_125947_hdr.jpeg
    01-18-2020 12:01 PM
154,373 ... 61016102610361046105 ...