I never heard of it. So at least you've heard of it.

I had to look past the skin and do some research. Had seen her on SNL a few times, so...
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    02-23-2020 01:04 PM
    There are a few handsets I wish I could have tried over the years. Here are the ones that stood out for me, in no particular order:

Sony Xperia 5
    Sony Xperia XZ3
    Xiaomi Mi Mix 3 5 (5G)
    Huawei Mate 10 pro/porsche design
    Huawei Mate RS
    Samsung Galaxy Note 10
    Samsung Note 7/FE
    OPPO Reno 10x Zoom
    Asus Zenfone 6
    Asus ROG II
    LG V50
    LG G8
    Nokia 8 Sirocco
    Realme X2 Pro
    Razer phone 2
    HTC U12+

Only two of these are still in play...and even then, it's not a certainty.
    If someone said, "narrow this down, it would be:

Mate RS. I didn't care for the dual FPS, and I know that the Mate 10 got better battery life. And while the Mate 20 Pro is clearly a better phone, I really, really liked this thing.

Xperia XZ3. I really liked the in hand feel of this thing. If I could have made two changes, I would have imported the XZ2 premium's camera (Sony's best in 2018) and use an in screen FPS.

Mi Mix 3. Always liked the slider and I always liked this Mi line.

The thing with these three is that I would use all three as daily drivers.
    Laura Knotek and libra89 like this.
    02-23-2020 01:09 PM
    There are a few handsets I wish I could have tried over the years. Here are the ones that stood out for me, in no particular order:

Sony Xperia 5
    Sony Xperia XZ3
    Xiaomi Mi Mix 3 5 (5G)
    Huawei Mate 10 pro/porsche design
    Huawei Mate RS
    Samsung Galaxy Note 10
    Samsung Note 7/FE
    OPPO Reno 10x Zoom
    Asus Zenfone 6
    Asus ROG II
    LG V50
    LG G8
    Nokia 8 Sirocco
    Realme X2 Pro
    Razer phone 2
    HTC U12+

Only two of these are still in play...and even then, it's not a certainty.
    I owned and used the Xperia xz3 and the Nokia 8 scirroco just fyi. Out of those two I preferred the xz3 based on my time with both.
    MSFTisMIA and Laura Knotek like this.
    02-23-2020 02:51 PM
    Pre-ordered the S20.
    libra89, Laura Knotek and aximtreo like this.
    02-23-2020 07:24 PM
    Pre-ordered the S20.
    What color did you get?
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    02-23-2020 07:44 PM
    What color did you get?
    It's like the Ford Model T only Gray was available. Thanks.
    libra89, Laura Knotek and nate0 like this.
    02-23-2020 07:45 PM
    If someone said, "narrow this down, it would be:

Mate RS. I didn't care for the dual FPS, and I know that the Mate 10 got better battery life. And while the Mate 20 Pro is clearly a better phone, I really, really liked this thing.

Xperia XZ3. I really liked the in hand feel of this thing. If I could have made two changes, I would have imported the XZ2 premium's camera (Sony's best in 2018) and use an in screen FPS.

Mi Mix 3. Always liked the slider and I always liked this Mi line.

The thing with these three is that I would use all three as daily drivers.
    In order, it still would be the Mate RS, Mi Mix 3 and the XZ3. Those porsche phones were hard to find with good reason.
    libra89 and Laura Knotek like this.
    02-23-2020 07:51 PM
    It's like the Ford Model T only Gray was available. Thanks.
    Let us know what you think when you get it.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    02-23-2020 07:51 PM
    Let us know what you think when you get it.
    Will do. It will probably be in rotation for 6 months. That has been the case with the S series since S8 now. And the switch to Pixel a bit later in the year.
    02-23-2020 07:53 PM
    Will do. It will probably be in rotation for 6 months. That has been the case with the S series since S8 now. And the switch to Pixel a bit later in the year.
    Makes a ton of sense doing it this way.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    02-23-2020 08:06 PM
    I need a vacation and to come back to a new job. Lol.
    02-23-2020 09:14 PM
    I need a vacation. The previous vacation was too hectic with way too much flying involved.
    02-23-2020 10:06 PM
    That looks like a great place. I would really enjoy seeing the non-touristy places even as a tourist. Excellent photos too.
    In Paris the majority of the tourist places are in the first 7 arrondissements. Which basically means the centre of the city. Most people don't leave this area when they visit because they're typically here for a short time.

I may have mentioned this already but the arrondissements start in the centre and spiral out in a clockwise rotation.

The inner ones are a bit small and others get bigger as you go out. The border of Paris is the Periphique which is a 8 lane road that circles traditional Paris.

Typically once you're away from the first 7 arrondissements you're in 'real' Paris but again depending on neighbourhood. Some are more affluent than others. Though keeping mind 'normal' people live all over Paris. You don't necessarily have to be rich to live in the popular first 7 arrondissements.

The place I mentioned, Saint Denis is in the 10th arrondissement near Gare du Nord which is where the Eurostar from London comes in.

If you watched the movie Amelie the the canal she lives near is just east of that, Canal du Saint Martin.

The 9th and 10th are up and coming areas. Saint Denis is an interesting spot as it has a very eclectic and diverse group of people and simply by street the feeling changes and the hustle is different.

I think eventually this area will change but probably another 5 - 10 years.

I've been meaning to do a tips post on here for anyone planning to visit Paris and France...
    02-24-2020 01:33 AM

I've been meaning to do a tips post on here for anyone planning to visit Paris and France...
    That sounds great! That would be very helpful to anyone, including me, who hasn't yet been to Paris.

I didn't know about the circular neighbourhood designations. That makes sense, similar to the boroughs of NYC, with Manhattan being the business centre, and the outer boroughs having more of an interesting character.
    aximtreo likes this.
    02-24-2020 01:47 AM
    That sounds great! That would be very helpful to anyone, including me, who hasn't yet been to Paris.

I didn't know about the circular neighbourhood designations. That makes sense, similar to the boroughs of NYC, with Manhattan being the business centre, and the outer boroughs having more of an interesting character.
    There's 20 arrondissements in Paris and districts or neighbourhoods in them.

20th is fairly large in comparison to 1-4.

Ile de City is where Paris began and it sits in the River Seine, it's in 1 and edges 4 (it's a bit confusing). It's one of the few areas of Paris left mostly untouched by Haussmann when he rebuilt Paris with the large boulevards it's known for. The other area mostly untouched is Le Marais which straddles 3&4.
    Last edited by N_LaRUE; 02-24-2020 at 04:45 AM.
    02-24-2020 03:35 AM
    Xperia 1 Mark 2 looks...interesting. Likely expensive as all hell, but looks interesting.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    02-24-2020 06:24 AM
    Xperia 1 Mark 2 looks...interesting. Likely expensive as all hell, but looks interesting.
    Agree. I do wonder how much it will cost.

Interesting they're bringing back the 3.5mm jack. All they need to do now is have the power button fingerprint scanner...

Not sure about the camera though. I'll have to see what they're up to. Seems a bit slack to go with 3x12Mp again. 3X zoom is interesting as well.

They need to nail the camera though. They're losing because of this, aside from price tag that's is... Who knows they may come in cheaper than the Samsung... If they're smart.

I'll await the official release.

Not upgrading though. 5G is fairly useless here atm.
    02-24-2020 07:42 AM
    Agree. I do wonder how much it will cost.

Interesting they're bringing back the 3.5mm jack. All they need to do now is have the power button fingerprint scanner...

Not sure about the camera though. I'll have to see what they're up to. Seems a bit slack to go with 3x12Mp again. 3X zoom is interesting as well.

They need to nail the camera though. They're losing because of this, aside from price tag that's is... Who knows they may come in cheaper than the Samsung... If they're smart.

I'll await the official release.

Not upgrading though. 5G is fairly useless here atm.
    I think it is smart of Sony to shoot for that Pro Creator space that LG has been kinda in with the V series. In fact, I'd love to see Sony vs LG for tools for content creators vs going after Samsung, Google and Apple. It makes sense to bring back the 3.5mm for better external accessories support, especially if they're leaning into closer ties with the camera department.

I don't think they need to nail the camera in auto mode. They need to get closer though and if the pro stuff is strong, they'll get a few sales. Not sure if they will do a 5G for Europe model. I'm more curious what they plan to do with the Xperia 5 follow up...how much of this kit will they downsize into a smaller model?
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    02-24-2020 08:16 AM
    I think it is smart of Sony to shoot for that Pro Creator space that LG has been kinda in with the V series. In fact, I'd love to see Sony vs LG for tools for content creators vs going after Samsung, Google and Apple. It makes sense to bring back the 3.5mm for better external accessories support, especially if they're leaning into closer ties with the camera department.

I don't think they need to nail the camera in auto mode. They need to get closer though and if the pro stuff is strong, they'll get a few sales. Not sure if they will do a 5G for Europe model. I'm more curious what they plan to do with the Xperia 5 follow up...how much of this kit will they downsize into a smaller model?
    That's an interesting angle.

If they're going after creators they really need to fix CameraPro. It's a confusing mess and not really set up for creating. Though maybe an update is coming. Maybe we'll see better camera control too. There's a few things that needed fixing. In both modes. The video issue with overheating is still there too.

Interesting they're going with a Zeiss lens.

Curious to see the official release info though. I just wish the leaks would stop. It may not give full detail of everything but it kills what little excitement there is these days.
    Laura Knotek and aximtreo like this.
    02-24-2020 08:30 AM

If they're bringing out a 5 then I'll assume it will be the same in my opinion.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    02-24-2020 08:30 AM
    5G is coming to France but not at the speed of everywhere else. I haven't checked recently on it's release date.

I think 5G is interesting but I think it will have a lot of people upset about it though.

That's my personal opinion.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    02-24-2020 08:31 AM

If they're going after creators they really need to fix CameraPro. It's a confusing mess and not really set up for creating. Though maybe an update is coming. Maybe we'll see better camera control too. There's a few things that needed fixing. In both modes. The video issue with overheating is still there too.

Curious to see the official release info though. I just wish the leaks would stop. It may not give full detail of everything but it kills what little excitement there is these days.
    I thought they officially announced it today!?
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    02-24-2020 09:04 AM

To me, a V series in the right hands over the past few years did some stellar work for creators. There is a market there, even as scruffy as YouTube is these days. So I think Sony can make a case if people want more "cinematic work" vs "casual YouTube style" from LG. I think Apple is also lying to people with the iPhone 11 Pro that can do "cinematic work" but you need Filmic pro and some other crap to make that happen.

So there is a lane. Will LG and Sony fully seize it? They should as their other businesses have been propping them up for years as they have bleed money as fast as this President has turned over cabinet members.
    N_LaRUE and Laura Knotek like this.
    02-24-2020 09:12 AM
    I'm feeling like I'm struggling to catch up with what I watch. The readings for one of my classes is something else. I'm feeling like I'm still trying to get the groove of it and life. If I was only taking this class, it would be easier to be on top of it.

I hate when shows are 2 hours, as falling behind with one of those makes it harder for me to try to keep up with it. That might be the show to let go and watch when I can at some point.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    02-24-2020 09:22 AM
    At the same time, I also would like to try different social things. Some of the things that interest me on campus conflict with class or I would have to use time (from work) to go and I'll rather not. Luckily, I am finally doing something this week which I'm looking forward to. I also kind of wish I was closer to campus sometimes.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    02-24-2020 09:31 AM
156,487 ... 61306131613261336134 ...