WC 1M Post Challenge - You Ready?!

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site
Re: WC 150K Post Challenge - You Ready?!

Going to drop kid at school and pickup bagel's at Noah's...can't wait for the Jalape?o shmear...

This week I've been eating my cinnamon raisin bagel with the homemade scallion cream cheese spread...man, that's good eating. A little fattening, but good eating...

G4 Approved

Rose640

Jul 20, 2015
Visit site
No idea. I don't personally care. The only care I have is when it affects me personally.

Thankfully the season is almost over.

I guess it's a bit worse in England than in other countries, traffic wise. They don't pause at winter, so you're stuck with that traffic untill summer :winktongue:
Just imagine what it's like in Germany where they have the biggest turn ups on games in Europe.

sahib lopez

Apr 29, 2013
Visit site

It's nice that is Friday. Get to put away cloths and do chores that I normally don't get to do on the weekdays!

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site

A rainy afternoon here in NYC...snuck out from work to get a half off frapp at Starbucks...today has been decent for me, so no major complaints...

G4 Approved

sahib lopez

Apr 29, 2013
Visit site
WC 150K Post Challenge - You Ready?!

Review for the Microsoft Lumia 950
Context: I figure I give some context before I start my review. I have come from the Nokia Lumia 810 and the Nokia Lumia 830. Those have been my main devices through the years. As you can tell I have been using windows phone since windows phone 8 but I have used iOS before I got my Lumia 810. I still use my iPod to this day. I am considered to be a medium user and as you can tell with my pervious devices I am a mid-range user so the 950 is overkill for me I don?t play any games on my phone but I do listen to music. I?ve always considered the 810 to be the best windows phone to date, there was something about the 810 that made me want to come back . With that being said now you know my background on phones and what led me to the 950

Intro:
I have always been a midrange phone user, I never really needed the high end specs of flagship phones. While using the 830 as my daily driver I have always missed my 810 because the 830 felt like I had to baby it around since it had an aluminum side and fear it would dent. When the 950 came out it looked so much like my 810, and when some reviews came out, some mentioned that it looked like the 810. I knew I wasn?t going to buy it any time soon but I had it in the back of my head that I was going to get the 950. Fast forward to April and something great happened. Microsoft was having a buy one 950 XL get one 950 free. At that moment I knew I was going to get the 950! When it came to my house I unboxed it and set it up. I used it for about 2 weeks putting it thought its paces to see if it really was like the 810 in the sense that it makes me want to come back to it. Will it pass my test or will it just be another Meh phone?

Hardware and specs:
The device feels sturdy in the hand, the type that you know doesn?t need a case. It has a hard soft plastic feel in the hand. The back cover is removable and upon close inspection the back edges have a slight curvature that molds to the hard stair edges of the 950. It feels like it contours to my hands. Supports Qi and PMA wireless changing. It?s not heavy at all in fact it?s the same weight as my 830 weighing in at 5.29 ounces. Now to move on my favorite part of the phone the screen. One thing that I have missed about my 810 was the AMOLED panel. I don?t mind LCD but with windows phone the deep blacks make windows phone pop. The ppi for this is at 564 compare that to the 217 on the 810 and 294 on the 830. To me that a lot of pixels but I don?t really care since I was fine with the 810 ppi. That being the text is sharp and can easily read it and I can see this screen in the northern California sun. There is a red tint when the room is dark. It?s great under normal circumstances but its only noticeable when the lights turn off and you can see it. The rest of the specs is as follows
Camera: 20 megapixel f 1.9 tri color flash
Storage: 32 GB (29 GB usable) expandable using SD card
Ram: 3GB
Battery: 3,000 mAh battery
SoC: snapdragon 808
Connections: USB Type-C
There is a cool thing in my opinion that I enjoy using. That is the Iris scanning infra-red camera that signs you in into the phone. While it doesn?t work 100% of the time it works for me 98%. It even works in the dark, how cool is that!

OS and daily usage:
on my 950 I am currently on build 10.0.10586.318 but at this time of the review I was on 10.0.10586.242. My day starts at 5 am everyday Monday through Thursday and ends at 4 pm. I go to school so as a student being connected is necessary considering the emails and texts and phone calls and occasional music playing. Windows 10 works with my college with setting up with exchange. So that?s a good sign. I have location setting on, cellular data on, Wi-Fi on, Bluetooth on, automatic brightness on, email is set to sync when things arrive. With that being said Battery life is awesome and lasts me through the whole day no problemImage1463179118.232839.jpg
e0d419409fcc00561f8db9098739a791.jpg
e3dc400b3b405ec496735f29ef29540e.jpg
622a17f5e16b25fd53782955cca9731b.jpg
. I also have my Microsoft band connected on me. Texts come through and notifications show up. The band works fine on it. On a side note I was weary that the 950 would not be able to connect to T-Mobiles? band 12. I went to ##3282## and to my eyes the EARFCN read: 5035 so I am glad it runs on T-Mobile native network. Don?t ask me if it has WI-FI calling that horse has been beat to death so much it still feels it in its death. It does get hot from time to time and I can feel it when I am jumping to Tapatalk to other apps. Maybe its tapatalk but I am not going to ?hard reset my phone? that is whack to do that when it?s just one app. I font experience any lag or stutter. No apps crash on me and everything is responsive. There is one thing that people fail to mention is the sound quality with headphones while listing to music. I listen to music from my commute from where I live to my college. It?s a 45 min commute so music is a big part of my day. I still use my iPod touch 4th gen to listen to music. Comparing it to my iPod 4th gen the iPod blows the 950 out of the water when it comes to listening to music through headphones. It came out in 2010, that?s 6 years and MSFT still can?t make a phone that produces good sounding audio?! Don?t even get me started on how behind MSFT is against the 5th gen. other than that, that?s my only complaint.

Camera: I enjoyed using the 830 as a main shooter though I was never found of the single LED flash. Luckily the 950 comes with a triple LED flash colors are pink (or magenta) cyan, and yellow. The camera is an upgrade from the 830 in the sense that it?s faster at taking pictures. Also I like the fact that it comes with stereo rich captures mics that still wows me every time. Thought one thing I noticed is that colors on pictures tend to be on the cooler side but I think that?s on images that has pink or magenta colors.

Performance: first and for most I do not like benchmarking phones because it doesn?t tell you the whole story about a phone. It only tells how it compares to other phones. For the people who do like benchmarks here you go.
d379826e031056fa7b1691e5ef8af1a9.jpg
dc7a1ee8ae10856c112db1a36f9b5e9a.jpg
d708465ab572ca2000f7432460657a4d.jpg

Conclusion: considering that it fits my needs (although overkill) and feels just like my 810, seriously it does, it is priced way too much at launch. If it was priced around 400$ I think it would be a great buy but for 540ish$ I wouldn?t of have bought it. Sure it has great features and works like another other smartphone, I think Microsoft missed its chance with the 950. In my opinion if you are coming from a X20 phone, I think it?s a great phone and a definite buy. If you are coming from a X30 phone that would depend, anything under the 830 yeah I think about the 950 anything over the 830 and I would hold off from upgrading. As for me this is the phone I was waiting for and MSFT did say it was for the fans and I?m happy with the 950. I?ll call it the 810 v2. Ill wrap it up with my pros and cons
Pros:
?runs windows mobile 10 great
?removable battery / SD expansion
?lasts me a whole day
?great camera
?charges really fast
Cons
?Expensive
?Audio quality though headphones can?t compare to apple
?Gets a bit hot under heavy loads
?Only comes in white and black

Last edited: