WC 1M Post Challenge - You Ready?!

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
Re: WC 150K Post Challenge - You Ready?!

I once tricked someone into thinking I was British, since I managed to pull off the received pronunciation despite my normal dialect being US Midwestern.

I also tricked folks into thinking I was British by using English UK in emails.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site

All because they wanted to make "UK great again"

This idea of Britain being great again is a complex statement. A lot of people have related it to more 'empire' type thinking, which I'm sure some people foster but really we're talking about a time of around the late 70's and early 80's.

To explain you need to understand what was happening at this point in time. There was a recession early on but the economy was changing for the better. A prime minister was in power, Margret Thatcher. Depending on where you live and how you came out economically at the other end determines your feelings for this particular person.

Ronald Reagan has a similar divisiveness about him as his policies were very similar to Thatchers. Not sure who copied who. I personally hate both of them for their policies but that's neither here nor there. I'm giving a quick history lesson.

Basically what you have happening in the 80s is the birth of the global market as it is today. You're used to it but growing up in it and dealing with the vast changes it bought has been tough for a lot of people. Gone was the idea of stable employment. Gone to was the idea of large quantities of blue collar jobs. Most importantly, gone was the unions power. Now I have both a good view and a negative view of unions. But I'll leave that for another time.

Basically Margret Thatcher set out to deregulate everything and take the power away from the unions. This is how you know that the UK is very different than the rest of the EU. In the EU the unions still have a lot of power but there is movements in certain countries trying to change that now.

What happened is that she sold off lots of state owned companies. There were strikes by a lot of unions, the biggest being the miners strike that lasted for a over a year. At the end, mines closed, even profitable ones, others were sold off. Thousands of people loss jobs. As the global economy ramped up lots of other industries followed the money to China and other emerging markets seeking cheap manufacturing and labour costs.

So to put this into perspective. The mid and north part of England, where most of this stuff is, is a complete wasteland of people mourning about the past when times were good. Mining, fishing, textiles and all other manufacturing has suffered causing massive economic downturns in the north. However, London continued to thrive regardless. Hence the division within the country.

To add to all this mess, you then bring in free movement of people to the mix from the EU. Immigration starts to soar as Poland and other Eastern European countries enters the EU bringing with it it's own set of complications.

Now due to UK policy, let's be clear about that, not EU, companies have taken advantage of the cheap labour available within these Eastern EU countries. Therefore wages have suffered in areas where wages and employment were problematic already. Add to that the added strain on public services and you can then start to understand the bigger picture here.

Where London has prospered with the influx of immigration as have other areas, the north, south and mid parts of England feel they have suffered from it. They mistrust the politicians, they dislike the EU and blame it for the problems that they have.

The thing is, the policies that have made the big mess out of this has been UK policy, not EU. Successive UK governments have continually pointed to the EU as being the bad guy. So it's not surprising that many people believed that the EU was a bad thing for the UK. Add in the refugee crisis, increases in immigration, the economic downturn in the Euro and all the austerity measures and you can see why selling the EU to the UK populace wasn't going to be easy.

Thing is, the government and even the leave campaign didn't think the UK would vote out. There was no contingency plan for an out vote as they felt it was never going to happen. This is why it's a complete mess at the moment with a big upheaval in the political sphere and why companies aren't sure what to do.

All I know is that I'm waiting to see what happens with the EU talks before I make any permanent plans one way or the other. I don't see the UK being a pleasant place for the next 5-10 years.

Last edited:

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site

To add to all this. This exit has increased the belief that the UK doesn't want immigrants or even foreign things here. There's been several small groups marching through London chanting racist and homophobic mantras and damaging German cars.

All this because of the leave vote.

Sport Driver

Apr 1, 2013
Visit site

Hmm, an X? Interesting... What did I got today? ;)
7a1c71a03dd8e17964e67b8c62ee5aa9.jpg

Ed Boland

Retired Ambassador
Nov 17, 2012
Visit site

Wow! I thought all guitarists use capos.

Nope. I'm living proof that a guitarist could get through life without one. ;) I've never used one until now...

I've been watching a lot of guitar videos lately, and have realized that a capo would come in handy for different key changes and scenarios.

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site

This idea of Britain being great again is a complex statement. A lot of people have related it to more 'empire' type thinking, which I'm sure some people foster but really we're talking about a time of around the late 70's and early 80's.

To explain you need to understand what was happening at this point in time. There was a recession early on but the economy was changing for the better. A prime minister was in power, Margret Thatcher. Depending on where you live and how you came out economically at the other end determines your feelings for this particular person.

Ronald Reagan has a similar divisiveness about him as his policies were very similar to Thatchers. Not sure who copied who. I personally hate both of them for their policies but that's neither here nor there. I'm giving a quick history lesson.

Basically what you have happening in the 80s is the birth of the global market as it is today. You're used to it but growing up in it and dealing with the vast changes it bought has been tough for a lot of people. Gone was the idea of stable employment. Gone to was the idea of large quantities of blue collar jobs. Most importantly, gone was the unions power. Now I have both a good view and a negative view of unions. But I'll leave that for another time.

Basically Margret Thatcher set out to deregulate everything and take the power away from the unions. This is how you know that the UK is very different than the rest of the EU. In the EU the unions still have a lot of power but there is movements in certain countries trying to change that now.

What happened is that she sold off lots of state owned companies. There were strikes by a lot of unions, the biggest being the miners strike that lasted for a over a year. At the end, mines closed, even profitable ones, others were sold off. Thousands of people loss jobs. As the global economy ramped up lots of other industries followed the money to China and other emerging markets seeking cheap manufacturing and labour costs.

So to put this into perspective. The mid and north part of England, where most of this stuff is, is a complete wasteland of people mourning about the past when times were good. Mining, fishing, textiles and all other manufacturing has suffered causing massive economic downturns in the north. However, London continued to thrive regardless. Hence the division within the country.

To add to all this mess, you then bring in free movement of people to the mix from the EU. Immigration starts to soar as Poland and other Eastern European countries enters the EU bringing with it it's own set of complications.

Now due to UK policy, let's be clear about that, not EU, companies have taken advantage of the cheap labour available within these Eastern EU countries. Therefore wages have suffered in areas where wages and employment were problematic already. Add to that the added strain on public services and you can then start to understand the bigger picture here.

Where London has prospered with the influx of immigration as have other areas, the north, south and mid parts of England feel they have suffered from it. They mistrust the politicians, they dislike the EU and blame it for the problems that they have.

The thing is, the policies that have made the big mess out of this has been UK policy, not EU. Successive UK governments have continually pointed to the EU as being the bad guy. So it's not surprising that many people believed that the EU was a bad thing for the UK. Add in the refugee crisis, increases in immigration, the economic downturn in the Euro and all the austerity measures and you can see why selling the EU to the UK populace wasn't going to be easy.

Thing is, the government and even the leave campaign didn't think the UK would vote out. There was no contingency plan for an out vote as they felt it was never going to happen. This is why it's a complete mess at the moment with a big upheaval in the political sphere and why companies aren't sure what to do.

All I know is that I'm waiting to see what happens with the EU talks before I make any permanent plans one way or the other. I don't see the UK being a pleasant place for the next 5-10 years.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=o1tj2zJ2Wvg

Posted via Moto Maxx

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site
So, in tech news...i like how the prices of the 950 single SIM are falling. I may grab one in September once things settle down for me. Don't think the new software will completely improve it, but hey, it'll do what i need to get done.

Posted via Moto Maxx

Last edited:

Sport Driver

Apr 1, 2013
Visit site

So, in tech news...i like how the process of the 950 single SIM are falling. I may grab one in September once things settle down for me. Don't think the new software will completely improve it, but hey, it'll do what i need to get done.

Posted via Moto Maxx
Tech news for me today is Nexus 5X. It came to me just in time, I'm heading to the sea for a week tomorrow so I will be hopefully able to post some nice pictures :)

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site
I'm resisting the urge to root my Maxx for the entire time I've owned it. However, it'll probably happen simply because i doubt Moto is going to do that "whole support it with updates because fall will make 2 years thing" going forward.

I may just do that this weekend or next week to finish the installs of the soak test previews. I'm sure I'll remain behind for security patches unless Moto releases updates, but that's where that is.

I really like the Nextbit Robin. But it's hell of a price to pay by trading off 30% battery capacity and 32GB storage and Qi for better updates, better camera and a fingerprint scanner. If i could get an X Force i would but that'll be overpriced and I'd still have questions about the support.

I may get a G5 but i honestly don't want to spend a ton for it so I'll wait until price comes down to under $400. That's the thing these days...it isn't about buying hardware you like, it's about OEMs selling enough hardware to folks in order for end users.

Posted via Moto Maxx

Last edited:

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site

32GB black, bought at Amazon.de for 277?

Nice move. I wonder if the Nextbit Robin would ship to you...i think outside of Google's fast updates and the fact that it can run on Verizon (the US version), i think the Robin is a better phone at the same price here.

Still, you made a very nice purchase. I'd love to here a 3 months later review from you...

Posted via Moto Maxx

Sport Driver

Apr 1, 2013
Visit site

Nice move. I wonder if the Nextbit Robin would ship to you...i think outside of Google's fast updates and the fact that it can run on Verizon (the US version), i think the Robin is a better phone at the same price here.

Still, you made a very nice purchase. I'd love to here a 3 months later review from you...

Posted via Moto Maxx
Review is coming for sure. About Robin, I looked up the process of buying it and it seems I could get it over here. BUT, I would be paying 20% tax when it comes to Slovenia so it would be 360$, not so competitive anymore I'm afraid.

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site

Review is coming for sure. About Robin, I looked up the process of buying it and it seems I could get it over here. BUT, I would be paying 20% tax when it comes to Slovenia so it would be 360$, not so competitive anymore I'm afraid.

Understood. I wouldn't touch it either if i had to jump through those hoops.

Posted via Moto Maxx

Sport Driver

Apr 1, 2013
Visit site

Understood. I wouldn't touch it either if i had to jump through those hoops.

Posted via Moto Maxx
I think I did the right thing. I ordered phone exactly one week ago but than they ran out of stock. So it went on the way only 2 days ago. Incredible they were able to get it here so fast. Price is now up again for 25? so I'm happy :D

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Duouser3