Targeted Advertising - Scary stuff and a reason why I hate google.

My sister uses a catalogue company in the UK called Very for a lot of her purchases. She asked me to look at the catalogue to pick out a xmas present, so online I went looking for a pair of headphones for gaming. Found the pair I liked and emailed her a link.

Get home yesterday to find a letter from Very inviting me to apply for a catalogue and a line of credit and since receiving that letter all my ads on youtube are for Very.

I didn't enter any personal details while on the Very website all I did was view a page. Whats worrying is that when I browsed Very it was the only explorer window I had open. So that means from the IP address of my work PC its managed to pull out my personal details from my history. Worrying to say the least.

Google is evil!!
    sahib lopez and Laura Knotek like this.
    11-20-2013 04:18 AM
    It's dark here, and the rest of the week is mild-ish.
    Yeah we've noticed that the temps in Australia aren't that great for November.
    11-20-2013 04:25 AM
    Targeted Advertising - Scary stuff and a reason why I hate google.

My sister uses a catalogue company in the UK called Very for a lot of her purchases. She asked me to look at the catalogue to pick out a xmas present, so online I went looking for a pair of headphones for gaming. Found the pair I liked and emailed her a link.

Get home yesterday to find a letter from Very inviting me to apply for a catalogue and a line of credit and since receiving that letter all my ads on youtube are for Very.

I didn't enter any personal details while on the Very website all I did was view a page. Whats worrying is that when I browsed Very it was the only explorer window I had open. So that means from the IP address of my work PC its managed to pull out my personal details from my history. Worrying to say the least.

Google is evil!!
    Wouldn't that be Very is evil? They're the ones with the Cookies that pulled your personal details and it you used IE (which I assume you did) it's IE's fault for allowing that. As for YouTube they're just using your most recent viewed information that's available thanks to Very. I'm pretty confident that Very has paid for that service from Google otherwise you wouldn't see it.

Though I'm not a fan of Google or any corporation for that matter, I think they're all evil to some extent, you can't fully blame Google for this one. Cookies have always been an issue.
    11-20-2013 04:31 AM
    I am never logged into Google services, however I use a variety of adblock addons. I wouldn't even know if there are targeted commercials ;-)
    11-20-2013 04:35 AM
    I am never logged into Google services, however I use a variety of adblock addons. I wouldn't even know if there are targeted commercials ;-)
    I just ignore the ads personally. If a company pulled my data however I would be sending them a nasty email I can tell you that much.
    11-20-2013 04:40 AM
    Wouldn't that be Very is evil? They're the ones with the Cookies that pulled your personal details and it you used IE (which I assume you did) it's IE's fault for allowing that. As for YouTube they're just using your most recent viewed information that's available thanks to Very. I'm pretty confident that Very has paid for that service from Google otherwise you wouldn't see it.

Though I'm not a fan of Google or any corporation for that matter, I think they're all evil to some extent, you can't fully blame Google for this one. Cookies have always been an issue.
    This is true - I guess Very is evil too - might have to send a strongly worded letter before I start getting text messages and phone calls
    11-20-2013 04:40 AM
    Just checked on the Very website after you mentioning them using cookies - no cookie warning at all on the webpage which I thought was mandatory now.
    11-20-2013 04:42 AM
    Just checked on the Very website after you mentioning them using cookies - no cookie warning at all on the webpage which I thought was mandatory now.
    Sometimes they only flash it the first time when you visit the site and assume once you were there once that's acceptance. To check you can delete your cookies and history and go to the site again.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    11-20-2013 04:44 AM
    This is true - I guess Very is evil too - might have to send a strongly worded letter before I start getting text messages and phone calls
    Give them hell. I wouldn't be impressed. I'm still getting text messages from a Baratt Homes when I went to view some apartments they put up. I use their system to stop them but they keep coming. :/
    11-20-2013 04:45 AM
    The more I learn about the way Google uses information, the more I backtrack from any of their products. I understand MS is not innocent in this and uses Bing in much the same manner as Google, but I also understand how more generic and upfront MS is about it. As this is Googles bread and butter, they have to be "blood in the water" aggresive with selling information.

Other then You Tube, I am pretty much free from Google. Which is a shame, because while I like WP better, I do enjoy Android devices and all the options out there.

I just do not trust them.
    11-20-2013 04:49 AM
    The more I learn about the way Google uses information, the more I backtrack from any of their products. I understand MS is not innocent in this and uses Bing in much the same manner as Google, but I also understand how more generic and upfront MS is about it. As this is Googles bread and butter, they have to be "blood in the water" aggresive with selling information.

Other then You Tube, I am pretty much free from Google. Which is a shame, because while I like WP better, I do enjoy Android devices and all the options out there.

I just do not trust them.
    In the 'information age' no company is beyond suspect. I don't personally trust any of them. I see it as a necessary evil and I more less know what I'm getting into with them. I try not to let it bother me. Some people are over paranoid though.
    MSFTisMIA likes this.
    11-20-2013 04:53 AM
    The weather has just changed. We're getting driving rain and some hail even. Wonderful stuff. :/
    11-20-2013 06:03 AM
    The weather has just changed. We're getting driving rain and some hail even. Wonderful stuff. :/
    We have just some... how do you call very little rain but it's everywhere in small droplets? That we have at the moment. Not very comfortable outside but I'm back in the lab now and should see if I can book a device for tomorrow.
    11-20-2013 06:28 AM
    We have just some... how do you call very little rain but it's everywhere in small droplets? That we have at the moment. Not very comfortable outside but I'm back in the lab now and should see if I can book a device for tomorrow.
    Drizzle?
    Chregu likes this.
    11-20-2013 06:29 AM
    Drizzle?
    Yes, that is it! Funnily I thought it is this, then I mixed it up with a German word and then I didn't know it in German or English ;-)

The German one is nieseln, but in my had it was rieseln, which sounds a little like drizzle. I'm glad my French is terrible or I would be even more confused all the time ;-)
    N_LaRUE likes this.
    11-20-2013 06:31 AM
    Yes, that is it! Funnily I thought it is this, then I mixed it up with a German word and then I didn't know it in German or English ;-)

The German one is nieseln, but in my had it was rieseln, which sounds a little like drizzle. I'm glad my French is terrible or I would be even more confused all the time ;-)
    Speaking of French, we're heading to France for a Christmas market, just to be different. :P The ferry is cheap and we're going to use our car. Funnily enough I wouldn't mind heading to Bruges as well but I don't think my wife wants to. Oh well. We do plan to drive through more of the EU over the next few years. :)
    11-20-2013 06:55 AM
    Morning folks. Still feeling unfocused...looking forward to doing my workshop with a small group of young men at one of our partner agencies this afternoon. Gonna show a PSA I oversaw in the group as a part of it to see what they think...
    Chregu and snowmutt like this.
    11-20-2013 07:00 AM
    Speaking of French, we're heading to France for a Christmas market, just to be different. :P The ferry is cheap and we're going to use our car. Funnily enough I wouldn't mind heading to Bruges as well but I don't think my wife wants to. Oh well. We do plan to drive through more of the EU over the next few years. :)
    Don't forget, if you ever make it to Switzerland, you have to buy Zopf in a bakery! ;-)
    N_LaRUE and Laura Knotek like this.
    11-20-2013 07:00 AM
    Morning folks. Still feeling unfocused...looking forward to doing my workshop with a small group of young men at one of our partner agencies this afternoon. Gonna show a PSA I oversaw in the group as a part of it to see what they think...
    I am also unfocused today. I have to prepare buffer solution, and it's pretty tedious.
    MSFTisMIA likes this.
    11-20-2013 07:01 AM
    My paper is still not complete...debating whether to go to my class today, go drinking with my coworkers or to just grab a beer, go home and wrote this paper. Not sure what I'm doing yet...
    11-20-2013 07:01 AM
    I am also unfocused today. I have to prepare buffer solution, and it's pretty tedious.
    I think i'm just tired and the grind of the semester is catching up to me. Even the last paper I did for this class I was unfocused and handed it in late. This semester of four jobs (work, my commute, full time classes, and a GF) has been a very long one...
    11-20-2013 07:04 AM
    I think i'm just tired and the grind of the semester is catching up to me. Even the last paper I did for this class I was unfocused and handed it in late. This semester of four jobs (work, my commute, full time classes, and a GF) has been a very long one...
    I see only one solution for you, you have to get a clone!
    11-20-2013 07:06 AM
    I see only one solution for you, you have to get a clone!
    If i get a clone, I will get double the work, half the pay and more drama from my GF. Thanks for the offer though...
    Last edited by MSFTisMIA; 11-20-2013 at 08:59 AM.
    N_LaRUE, Chregu, snowmutt and 1 others like this.
    11-20-2013 07:10 AM
    Here's the clip I plan to show. This project was a blast....

snowmutt and sahib lopez like this.
    11-20-2013 07:11 AM
    Sometimes I forget just how much of this forum is not U.S. Here I am thinking "He is going all the way to France?? HOW COOL!!"

Then I read the rest of the post and felt like a snobbish stupid American.

I mean, it is still cool, just not "fly from the other side of the globe, been saving my money for a year for this trip" cool....
    11-20-2013 09:30 AM
144,455 ... 681682683684685 ...