Morning all, I don't like it when its hotter than its supposed to be. Sounds weird I know, but I'm hoping for a white Christmas and chances are we're not going to be able to get one in the UK if it doesn't get colder soon.
    I like snow from Christmas till Nrw Year's. Otherwise, it can stay away.

12C is too warm at this time, though, especially since it was -3C on Thanksgiving.
    12-04-2013 02:09 AM
    Snow on Christmas is normal here in Cleveland, Ohio.

This time of year the normal high temperatures are usually ~4 to 6C. It gets colder near the end of December. January is our coldest month.
    Now I feel like traveling the USA again... is Cleveland nice? It looks nice on the map, being located at this huge lake.
    12-04-2013 02:09 AM
    I have actually only seen 2 white Christmas days here in Danville, IL since I moved here in 1996. Plenty of bitterly cold ones, but only 2 with snow on the ground.

However, our New Years seem to always have snow.
    12-04-2013 02:14 AM
    Kind of hungry. Anyone want to go half-sies on some Pizza?
    N_LaRUE likes this.
    12-04-2013 02:16 AM
    The "Ban the Post" game has been outright amusing lately. I laugh on nearly every one.
    12-04-2013 02:17 AM
    Having a tough time making a decision on upgrades. I am going to post a "Verizon or AT&T" thread in the carrier section here tonight. I go back and forth- stay on the grandfathered, cheaper plan on AT&T, or get the overall better network on Verizon even at a higher price. My Wife is going to be doing some traveling in the next couple years, and I want her to have access to the best network.

But, boy .... that will add about 20-30 bucks more a month, depending on the service we choose. That is a lot of extra cash.

She, of course, has left it up to me.

Could have killed her for that......
    N_LaRUE and MSFTisMIA like this.
    12-04-2013 02:21 AM
    Kind of hungry. Anyone want to go half-sies on some Pizza?
    I'll take some of that action. It's 8.20 in the morning, but sure, let's do it :p
    N_LaRUE, snowmutt, Chregu and 1 others like this.
    12-04-2013 02:22 AM
    I'll take some of that action. It's 8.20 in the morning, but sure, let's do it :p
    I think we'd have a better chance at this than with snowmutt. :P Then again, all the pizza places are closed here. :(
    Muessig likes this.
    12-04-2013 02:35 AM
    I have actually only seen 2 white Christmas days here in Danville, IL since I moved here in 1996. Plenty of bitterly cold ones, but only 2 with snow on the ground.

However, our New Years seem to always have snow.
    Had too many white Christmases. :P

I actually enjoyed the difference in being in Australia for it when I lived there. Here in the UK you might get snow sometime for a few days to screw up transport then it disappears.
    snowmutt likes this.
    12-04-2013 02:37 AM
    Had too many white Christmases. :P

I actually enjoyed the difference in being in Australia for it when I lived there. Here in the UK you might get snow sometime for a few days to screw up transport then it disappears.
    Ah yes.... The "Transport panic" when it snows. Amazing how people act like it has never, ever snowed anywhere ever once it happens.

On the bright side, vehicles look so nice buried in the snow up to their windshields.
    12-04-2013 02:59 AM
    Ah yes.... The "Transport panic" when it snows. Amazing how people act like it has never, ever snowed anywhere ever once it happens.

On the bright side, vehicles look so nice buried in the snow up to their windshields.
    In Finland there are people who go away for the winter and leave their cars just parked there. They basically turn into giant snowballs.

I think here in the UK a lot of the issues surrounding bad weather problems with transport comes down to legality (fear of being sued and insurance) rather than the actual ability to run the services.
    snowmutt likes this.
    12-04-2013 03:06 AM
    When I was working night shifts as a side-job, I had to drive every night at between 3 and 5 o'clock to another city to check on a building. Street conditions were sometimes pretty hairy in winter, but I like driving in snow, at least the part of me that isn't afraid. And the afraid part I just tend to minimize (but never ignore it).
    snowmutt likes this.
    12-04-2013 03:13 AM
    Picture of my car when living in Finland:

aviary-photo_130306220804388827-1-.jpg
    Chregu, snowmutt and sahib lopez like this.
    12-04-2013 03:17 AM
    When I was working night shifts as a side-job, I had to drive every night at between 3 and 5 o'clock to another city to check on a building. Street conditions were sometimes pretty hairy in winter, but I like driving in snow, at least the part of me that isn't afraid. And the afraid part I just tend to minimize (but never ignore it).
    At least driving at that time of day there's not much traffic. Still, would suck if you crashed or ended up in a ditch.
    12-04-2013 03:18 AM
    At least driving at that time of day there's not much traffic. Still, would suck if you crashed or ended up in a ditch.
    Yes, this company went into bankruptcy even without me crashing their company cars ;-)
    N_LaRUE and snowmutt like this.
    12-04-2013 03:28 AM
    Sometimes it's really hard to not write silly comments all over the forum. So many threads would provide perfect opportunities to make fun of :/
    12-04-2013 04:18 AM
    Sometimes it's really hard to not write silly comments all over the forum. So many threads would provide perfect opportunities to make fun of :/
    Yeah I have the same issue occasionally. The other is getting into arguments with people.
    12-04-2013 04:19 AM
    Yes the urge is very hard to resist.
    12-04-2013 04:19 AM
    To which I say:

The first instinct is usally the correct one.
    Chregu, MSFTisMIA and sahib lopez like this.
    12-04-2013 04:51 AM
    In Finland there are people who go away for the winter and leave their cars just parked there. They basically turn into giant snowballs.
    Okay.... I have no real idea why, but this made me laugh really, really hard!!

While I was in the Navy, I had a list of places I was excited to see. Finland and Norway were 2 places I wanted to spend some time at I never got to. Got to see both from my ship, but never got the chance to see them.

Now, I am dying to go.

I want to see the snow-ball cars!!!!
    12-04-2013 04:54 AM
    I want to see the snow-ball cars!!!!
    When I was living in Finland they had the worse snowfall in Helsinki for about 7 years. It might have been a record breaker. It caught everyone by surprise. It seemed like it snowed everyday. The snow mounds were huge and the cars on the road just continued to disappear under the snow.

The snow removal crew pilled all the snow in a giant mound somewhere. We heard it took to the end of July for all the snow to melt. We had a very hot summer, which is not very comfortable in Finland.

Finland is a beautiful country and Helsinki is quite pretty.

We're planning on going to Norway probably next year to see the fjords. Not sure when yet.
    snowmutt likes this.
    12-04-2013 05:15 AM
    Its DECEMBER!!!! That means Christmas is approaching woop!!! Get a nice 2 weeks off for only using 7 days annual leave :)
    N_LaRUE likes this.
    12-04-2013 06:16 AM
    Its DECEMBER!!!! That means Christmas is approaching woop!!! Get a nice 2 weeks off for only using 7 days annual leave :)
    Haven't seen you in a while! I think it's about the same for me. :) I'm off for two weeks at Christmas as well.
    12-04-2013 06:19 AM
    Haven't seen you in a while! I think it's about the same for me. :) I'm off for two weeks at Christmas as well.
    Me too. Wish me luck with these polar lights, would be a shame if I didn't see any.
    MSFTisMIA likes this.
    12-04-2013 06:32 AM
    Me too. Wish me luck with these polar lights, would be a shame if I didn't see any.
    When I went to the Arctic Circle in 2005 I didn't see any lights due to the snow fall. Hopefully you have more time than I did. I was only there for two nights I think. The best time to see them is before the snow comes obviously. Are you heading up that high? You mentioned Oslo, you may not see anything from there.
    12-04-2013 06:54 AM
143,695 ... 733734735736737 ...