When I went to the Arctic Circle in 2005 I didn't see any lights due to the snow fall. Hopefully you have more time than I did. I was only there for two nights I think. The best time to see them is before the snow comes obviously. Are you heading up that high? You mentioned Oslo, you may not see anything from there.
    I'm traveling up to Kirkenes by ship. So I'll have a few nights, let's hope the weather will be okay :)
    12-04-2013 07:08 AM
    Me too. Wish me luck with these polar lights, would be a shame if I didn't see any.
    I do hope you get to see the aurora on your trip. It is on my top three essential things to do list.
    Chregu likes this.
    12-04-2013 07:13 AM
    Morning. Back on the daily grind. Boy, last week's time off seems like it happened last year...
    N_LaRUE likes this.
    12-04-2013 07:18 AM
    I'm traveling up to Kirkenes by ship. So I'll have a few nights, let's hope the weather will be okay :)
    Oh my, that's way up there! We were only in Rovaniemi in Finland which seems so far south compared to that!
    Chregu likes this.
    12-04-2013 07:23 AM
    Man, that amazon drone thing is so cool!
    12-04-2013 09:00 AM
    Man, that amazon drone thing is so cool!
    The drone might be cool but Amazon isn't.
    12-04-2013 09:14 AM
    I don't even think the drone thing is cool. I can't really imagine this working. But it's a nice publicity stunt.
    12-04-2013 09:16 AM
    Haven't seen you in a while! I think it's about the same for me. :) I'm off for two weeks at Christmas as well.
    Yeah been trying to get some things sorted at work with regards my promotion. Its getting a tad annoying now though. Grrr!!! Really wanted the pay rise sooner rather than later.
    12-04-2013 09:48 AM
    Yeah been trying to get some things sorted at work with regards my promotion. Its getting a tad annoying now though. Grrr!!! Really wanted the pay rise sooner rather than later.
    I have no idea when/if I'll get a pay raise anytime soon. I was a contractor up until July this year. I'm not used to the cycle of being staff yet. Usually I got a pay raise when I changed companies in the past as a contractor. Now it's down to all the silly annoyances of being staff. I'll put up with it, for now.
    12-04-2013 09:56 AM
    I have no idea when/if I'll get a pay raise anytime soon. I was a contractor up until July this year. I'm not used to the cycle of being staff yet. Usually I got a pay raise when I changed companies in the past as a contractor. Now it's down to all the silly annoyances of being staff. I'll put up with it, for now.
    I'll get a raise of about 10 % next year. Then in September. Then a year later. Then it will stay that way. It's all regulated by the university though ;-)
    12-04-2013 10:04 AM
    I love Amazon! Lots of good selection, prime is fast, and great prices. Not sure why you don't like them...
    12-04-2013 10:28 AM
    I don't even think the drone thing is cool. I can't really imagine this working. But it's a nice publicity stunt.
    Well the CEO said it isn't fully ready yet. In 3-5 years, I can imagine it working. Right now, of course no. It also saves a lot of money on gas from all those UPS, FedEx, and USPS trucks.
    12-04-2013 10:30 AM
    I love Amazon! Lots of good selection, prime is fast, and great prices. Not sure why you don't like them...
    There was a recent story on how Amazon treats their employees. I can't seem to find it.
    12-04-2013 10:38 AM
    Well the CEO said it isn't fully ready yet. In 3-5 years, I can imagine it working. Right now, of course no. It also saves a lot of money on gas from all those UPS, FedEx, and USPS trucks.
    The problems I see without really reading something about it:

Safety: These drones have to be save, they have to travel over long distances reliably without falling on somebodies head or losing signal and hitting something.
    Delivery: The drones have to be targeted to a certain address, this might be easy with GPS and navigation data (plus additional data about power lines which could be in the way). But then they have to deliver the package to a reasonable place, again without hitting anybody or anything.
    Vandalism: There are enough people who'd like to play around with one of these drones, or just to hit it with a baseball bat.
    Technical limitations: The drones would have to carry heavy packages over a long distance, something that can't be achieved for now. Can it be achieved in 3 years? There are just physical rules that can't be bended.

Or are they controlled by people? Then for each package there would have to be one drone steered by one person at the time.

I really don't see it, it feels very science-fictiony to me, but I actually don't know much.
    N_LaRUE and unstoppablekem like this.
    12-04-2013 10:39 AM
    There was a recent story on how Amazon treats their employees. I can't seem to find it.
    I never knew they treated their employees poorly. That's awful!
    12-04-2013 10:41 AM
    The problems I see without really reading something about it:

Safety: These drones have to be save, they have to travel over long distances reliably without falling on somebodies head or losing signal and hitting something.
    Delivery: The drones have to be targeted to a certain address, this might be easy with GPS and navigation data (plus additional data about power lines which could be in the way). But then they have to deliver the package to a reasonable place, again without hitting anybody or anything.
    Vandalism: There are enough people who'd like to play around with one of these drones, or just to hit it with a baseball bat.
    Technical limitations: The drones would have to carry heavy packages over a long distance, something that can't be achieved for now. Can it be achieved in 3 years? There are just physical rules that can't be bended.

Or are they controlled by people? Then for each package there would have to be one drone steered by one person at the time.

I really don't see it, it feels very science-fictiony to me, but I actually don't know much.
    You re right, they need to be safe and be delivered safely, and to try and prevent them being stolen and broken, and about the heavy packages. I feel they might have special drones to deliver these types of packages, and to not drop them. They would be large drones though.

Yes, your disadvantage list is correct, but I feel in a few years times, most of these issues will be worked out.
    Chregu likes this.
    12-04-2013 10:44 AM
    You re right, they need to be safe and be delivered safely, and to try and prevent them being stolen and broken, and about the heavy packages. I feel they might have special drones to deliver these types of packages, and to not drop them. They would be large drones though.

Yes, your disadvantage list is correct, but I feel in a few years times, most of these issues will be worked out.
    I think a completely different mail service will be required to deliver packages with drones. I don't see this changing any time soon.Few years is more like a few decades.
    12-04-2013 10:50 AM
    while you all talk about your snow experinces .... Ill sit here dreaming about snow.... and yes I can drive 3 hrs north past Redding to get snow but I want snow in the valley :P
    12-04-2013 11:11 AM
    Mail drones from amazon - will never take off (pun intended) in the UK - too many pikeys with air rifles would be shooting them out of the sky and trying to sell you back your own packages
    N_LaRUE and BIGPADDY like this.
    12-04-2013 11:18 AM
    Mail drones from amazon - will never take off (pun intended) in the UK - too many pikeys with air rifles would be shooting them out of the sky and trying to sell you back your own packages
    I can imagine people doing this at the amazon drones
    martinmc78, BIGPADDY and snowmutt like this.
    12-04-2013 11:24 AM
    and like this to the drones
    martinmc78 and snowmutt like this.
    12-04-2013 11:28 AM
    I should try to be a member on all the mobile sites ..... I mean when I visit imore they are too serious and scary while android central is to complicated for me and well blackberry ..... they are too proud :P
    12-04-2013 11:47 AM
    well I couldn't find android post challenge thing but I found imores .... but It was scary
    12-04-2013 12:03 PM
    well I couldn't find android post challenge thing but I found imores .... but It was scary
    So you seen it, how was it?
    12-04-2013 12:18 PM
    So you seen it, how was it?
    I like this one. BIGPADDY made it fun. :D
    BIGPADDY likes this.
    12-04-2013 12:38 PM
143,632 ... 734735736737738 ...