WC 1M Post Challenge - You Ready?!

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
Re: WPC 20K Post Challenge - You Ready?!

Yeah, it was more a rhetorical question ;-)

But it must be very impressive standing next to one of those things. What are they used for (purpose, not function)?

When they're off they are impressive, when they're on they scare me. Which is not a bad thing.

First I want to give you a simple formula, E=IR, where E=voltage, I=current and R=resistance (every thing in electricity has resistance) This formula is known as Ohm's Law. It is the basis for electricity. All electrical circuits can be reduced to this simple formula. Of course there are some real world factors and other things come into play when dealing with AC voltage but in essence this is electricity.

Looking at the formula you will realise that E and I are inversely proportional. So if you have a high E you have a low I and vice versa.

Transformers use this principle, which is why I'm stating it. Transmission lines run at a high voltage 'E' but a low current 'I'. So what a transformer does is either increase 'step up' or decrease 'step down' these values. So taking typical transmission to a house. You'll have a power station which then uses a 'step up' transformer to get the voltage to a high level, say 110kV, then at the other end you'll have a 'step down' transformer to reduce the voltage down to say 11kV (this is for industrial voltage levels). You then get localized transformers say on street (they tend to be green boxes) that will reduce the voltage to home use, 230V in EU.

Transformers change both current and voltage. As voltages are reduced down you typically have current increasing. Depending on the windings within the transformer you can get different values. This is known as the transformer ratio. I'm not going to go into that.

Probably clear as mud?

sahib lopez

Apr 29, 2013
Visit site

When they're off they are impressive, when they're on they scare me. Which is not a bad thing.

First I want to give you a simple formula, E=IR, where E=voltage, I=current and R=resistance (every thing in electricity has resistance) This formula is known as Ohm's Law. It is the basis for electricity. All electrical circuits can be reduced to this simple formula. Of course there are some real world factors and other things come into play when dealing with AC voltage but in essence this is electricity.

Looking at the formula you will realise that E and I are inversely proportional. So if you have a high E you have a low I and vice versa.

Transformers use this principle, which is why I'm stating it. Transmission lines run at a high voltage 'E' but a low current 'I'. So what a transformer does is either increase 'step up' or decrease 'step down' these values. So taking typical transmission to a house. You'll have a power station which then uses a 'step up' transformer to get the voltage to a high level, say 110kV, then at the other end you'll have a 'step down' transformer to reduce the voltage down to say 11kV (this is for industrial voltage levels). You then get localized transformers say on street (they tend to be green boxes) that will reduce the voltage to home use, 230V in EU.

Transformers change both current and voltage. As voltages are reduced down you typically have current increasing. Depending on the windings within the transformer you can get different values. This is known as the transformer ratio. I'm not going to go into that.

Probably clear as mud?

Well I sorta understood that because I had an electricity section in one of my computer classes :p

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site

Well I sorta understood that because I had an electricity section in one of my computer classes :p

I could have made it simpler but I wanted to pass on some knowledge. There's actually a lot more to it than that but it gets more complicated and I'd start to lose people.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site

People theses days always thinking the worst and preparing for the worst :p

Yes I know. There's still threads popping up about WP8.1 and people saying that they have friends who won't go for a WP because they're not confident that it will be upgraded to WP8.1. Tiring.

martinmc78

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site

Yes I know. There's still threads popping up about WP8.1 and people saying that they have friends who won't go for a WP because they're not confident that it will be upgraded to WP8.1. Tiring.

Yeah that sky is still definitely falling

BIGPADDY

Sep 30, 2012
Visit site

I don't get it either why do people think there not going to get updated to WP8.1, Microsoft said there going to upgrade all on WP8 to WP8.1!!!

MUST THERE BE A SIGN!

martinmc78

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site

I don't get it either why do people think there not going to get updated to WP8.1, Microsoft said there going to upgrade all on WP8 to WP8.1!!!

MUST THERE BE A SIGN!

No need for a sign - just tech bloggers to stop spreading FUD. That's all it boils down to. I am seriously considering going on a crusade and making a website for reviewing journalists based on bias, style and content then post the link in every comments section I can find to that reviewers current score. Should straighten them all out - give them a metacritic style score - maybe it should be a critacritic score.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site

No need for a sign - just tech bloggers to stop spreading FUD. That's all it boils down to. I am seriously considering going on a crusade and making a website for reviewing journalists based on bias, style and content then post the link in every comments section I can find to that reviewers current score. Should straighten them all out - give them a metacritic style score - maybe it should be a critacritic score.

You start and I'll gladly sign up. Hell I'd be happy to write a few for you. I'd love to start with Charles Arthur of the Guardian. :devil:

martinmc78

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site

You start and I'll gladly sign up. Hell I'd be happy to write a few for you. I'd love to start with Charles Arthur of the Guardian. :devil:

Will look into it - the only thing really bugging me is having to read through all the awful reviews and misinformation and make sure I get every single one of the incompetent turds on my website then try and remain impartial while giving out scores all the while avoiding cease and desist orders

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site

Will look into it - the only thing really bugging me is having to read through all the awful reviews and misinformation and make sure I get every single one of the incompetent turds on my website then try and remain impartial while giving out scores all the while avoiding cease and desist orders

LOL! Yeah reading the dribble will be hard.

I don't see the cease and desist being an issue. Some of the comments I see on the reviews are pretty nasty. The best way to do it would be like having a page with each reviewer and an overall score rating and a 'review' of them. :p

Chregu

Feb 14, 2012
Visit site

I could have made it simpler but I wanted to pass on some knowledge. There's actually a lot more to it than that but it gets more complicated and I'd start to lose people.

I am on the run, I'll read it again later :)

stmav

Retired Moderator
Sep 18, 2012
Visit site

Damn I noticed that RUE is tearing it up in the file manager forum :p

I noticed that yesterday. I was like who the heck does this guy think he is coming up with all these calm, logical and intelligent replies. How dare he be a voice of reason and contributing member. He needs to get back to the challenge thread where he belongs.

BIGPADDY

Sep 30, 2012
Visit site

I noticed that yesterday. I was like who the heck does this guy think he is coming up with all these calm, logical and intelligent replies. How dare he be a voice of reason and contributing member. He needs to get back to the challenge thread where he belongs.

Hear, hear!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vascro