I'm not familiar with any horror stories in DR and Jamaica, but I've never been to either. You both seem to know a lot more about this -- what are the horror stories going on? (I'm just curious).
    It's probably everything from simple muggings to slave trade. In the resorts you're generally safe. Outside the resorts you can find yourself in all sorts of trouble if you're in the wrong place at the wrong time. I didn't think Jamaica was too bad but I've heard a few stories in regards to DR.

Saying that however, it's like any place you travel. You just need to use your head. I've only had one time where I felt a touch unsafe and that was in NYC but I avoided the situation. I've walked the streets of LA around midnight by myself and didn't feel uncomfortable at all. It's really about going about your own business and 99% no one will bother you.

I agree wholeheartedly with MSFTisMIA that having a reliable guide is the best way to go anywhere in countries where things could be problematic. When I was in Vanuatu, which is reportedly the 'Happiest Place on Earth', I could tell that there is trouble brewing there. Nothing has happened significantly yet (one or two murders of white people) but I have a feeling things will go down hill there one day. I did feel safe in general though but there was that underlying feeling.
    Chregu and MSFTisMIA like this.
    01-06-2014 03:58 AM
    Beautiful weather here in Basel. I walked back from lunch just waring my T-shirt, first of all because it's unusually warm, and secondly because I need to produce some Vitamin D ;-)
    N_LaRUE and azcruz like this.
    01-06-2014 07:01 AM
    It's probably everything from simple muggings to slave trade. In the resorts you're generally safe. Outside the resorts you can find yourself in all sorts of trouble if you're in the wrong place at the wrong time. I didn't think Jamaica was too bad but I've heard a few stories in regards to DR.

Saying that however, it's like any place you travel. You just need to use your head. I've only had one time where I felt a touch unsafe and that was in NYC but I avoided the situation. I've walked the streets of LA around midnight by myself and didn't feel uncomfortable at all. It's really about going about your own business and 99% no one will bother you.

I agree wholeheartedly with MSFTisMIA that having a reliable guide is the best way to go anywhere in countries where things could be problematic. When I was in Vanuatu, which is reportedly the 'Happiest Place on Earth', I could tell that there is trouble brewing there. Nothing has happened significantly yet (one or two murders of white people) but I have a feeling things will go down hill there one day. I did feel safe in general though but there was that underlying feeling.
    The NYC stuff is interesting. It is a rough town indeed in many spots, as fun as it is. I mean, I've heard all sorts of stories and have experienced some harassment as visitor to Jamaica. Again, I encourage people to visit there because it is a great little destination, but be smart about things.
    N_LaRUE likes this.
    01-06-2014 07:22 AM
    I'd like to buy a new camera. The Canon S120 looks great, and there's an even greater offer for it. I also loved the much older model the S90. But I feel like I should have bought it before I went to Norway, due to it's (reportedly) amazing low light picture quality.
    01-06-2014 08:14 AM
    The NYC stuff is interesting. It is a rough town indeed in many spots, as fun as it is. I mean, I've heard all sorts of stories and have experienced some harassment as visitor to Jamaica. Again, I encourage people to visit there because it is a great little destination, but be smart about things.
    I loved being in NYC, especially in the warmer months, I was there around the 2nd anniversary of 9/11. The issue we encountered was someone 'offering' us a short cut around the Harlem area. I know Harlem isn't as bad as it used to be but I wasn't interested in their shortcut. Creeped us out a bit but we got over it. Some of the more interesting things you encounter over here is in Paris with all the people pushing things on you, if you so much as look at them they follow you around for the next 10 minutes. Then there's the beggar gangs at all the attractions in many cities.

I'm looking forward to going to Jamaica one day though. You'll have to pass on some tips and places. I used to have a co-worker from Jamaica when I worked in Canada. Nicest guy you could know. Unfortunately we didn't stay in touch.
    01-06-2014 08:34 AM
    Ugh Mondays back to work after a 2 week holiday are rough!!! I hate Mondays!!!!!!
    N_LaRUE and BIGPADDY like this.
    01-06-2014 09:14 AM
    well I have 3 more weeks till I got back to school :P
    Thanks a lot...
    01-06-2014 09:31 AM
    Not a very good way to start off my morning. Waking up at 5 am to get ready to see if I'll get a seasonal job at a strawberry plant to find out I'll be waiting in line with around 200 and counting. In 36 degrees Fahrenheit and I'm freezing ,O_O anways have a good day all :P
    01-06-2014 09:52 AM
    I'd like to buy a new camera. The Canon S120 looks great, and there's an even greater offer for it. I also loved the much older model the S90. But I feel like I should have bought it before I went to Norway, due to it's (reportedly) amazing low light picture quality.
    We usually buy the latest Canon Ixus but lately we've been finding our phones do a good enough job in most cases. The only exception is when we want a great picture to print to put on our walls. We typically dig the DSLR out for that. I'd like to get one of those mini DSLRs as I find the full size ones way too big.
    01-06-2014 10:00 AM
    School today.
    01-06-2014 10:05 AM
    We usually buy the latest Canon Ixus but lately we've been finding our phones do a good enough job in most cases. The only exception is when we want a great picture to print to put on our walls. We typically dig the DSLR out for that. I'd like to get one of those mini DSLRs as I find the full size ones way too big.
    I still believe in dedicated cameras with an optical zoom and power not relying on my phone. Camera have power for days. Also I believe the quality of the pictures is still better and you have more options to adopt to situations.
    01-06-2014 10:34 AM
    I still believe in dedicated cameras with an optical zoom and power not relying on my phone. Camera have power for days. Also I believe the quality of the pictures is still better and you have more options to adopt to situations.
    I agree, hence why I mentioned my DSLR. We still have an Ixus and it takes great pictures. With the phones I was referring to simple picture taking with the phones though I do get some great pictures from it. :)
    Chregu likes this.
    01-06-2014 11:01 AM
    No internet all day at work and using the Lumia 710 not as good as the Lumia 520...
    01-06-2014 11:07 AM
    I miss my SONY XPERIA Z1 that I only got a few days ago and NOKIA LUMIA 920!
    MSFTisMIA likes this.
    01-06-2014 11:13 AM
    Want some cake?
    Chregu and BIGPADDY like this.
    01-06-2014 11:29 AM
    They don't even sell the brick anymore in Switzerland. And I saw a Demo model of the 925 for 380 Dollars including taxes. If I didn't love my 8X I'd be tempted ;-)
    MSFTisMIA likes this.
    01-06-2014 11:38 AM
    Just got a Lumia 920....am waiting for the USPS to deliver.
    01-06-2014 12:16 PM
    925 =16GB runs on T-Mo - locked
    920 = 32GB should run on T-Mo - unlocked
    810 = 8GB runs on T-Mo, I got it unlocked
    822 = 16GB run on T-Mo as it is unlocked but with SMS/MMS issues

I am a little bit confused as to which one should I make my daily driver...
    Currently hoarding 8 Lumia phones....I think I need to enter rehab:-)
    BIGPADDY likes this.
    01-06-2014 12:19 PM
    Seriously tempted to get 450+200 = 650 bucks from AT&T and them ditching them after 6 months to go back to T-Mo. I have plenty of unlocked phones for two lines. What do you folks suggest?
    01-06-2014 12:20 PM
    Seriously tempted to get 450+200 = 650 bucks from AT&T and them ditching them after 6 months to go back to T-Mo. I have plenty of unlocked phones for two lines. What do you folks suggest?
    I thought they had a clause that said you couldn't do that o.o?
    01-06-2014 02:42 PM
    im back after standing for a few 5 hrs -.- and its not fun getting all dusty with strawberries but its something even though this is not my type of job because 8.50 an hr is not cool but again a new seasonal job so eh w/e. but also I noticed that most of the workers are all Hispanic so it wasn't so strange because well I fit in XD. but there was this one chick that s very pretty working there but on the other side of the place. it was a surprise to see that kind of girl working here :O. but anyways not worth it so enjoy your strawberries because I might of picked them and cleaned them I still have another 3 more hours
    01-06-2014 02:47 PM
    Oh, News Flash:

A cold front came through.

Just in case you hadn't heard.

You are now up to date.
    that made me think of my ex because she is in iowa for a while .......... damn I had to go there ... oh well .. im human I worry too!
    01-06-2014 02:47 PM
    im back after standing for a few 5 hrs -.- and its not fun getting all dusty with strawberries but its something even though this is not my type of job because 8.50 an hr is not cool but again a new seasonal job so eh w/e. but also I noticed that most of the workers are all Hispanic so it wasn't so strange because well I fit in XD. but there was this one chick that s very pretty working there but on the other side of the place. it was a surprise to see that kind of girl working here :O. but anyways not worth it so enjoy your strawberries because I might of picked them and cleaned them I still have another 3 more hours
    So...did you put in any work with the cute girl yet?
    sahib lopez likes this.
    01-06-2014 02:48 PM
    So...did you put in any work with the cute girl yet?
    hahahahah .....ehehe ... noooo.... I mean I know I can but idk not my style on how to approach her besides I bet I wont see her tomorrow I bet because everyone says people leave because its to hard because you have to stand all day
    01-06-2014 02:54 PM
    dscn3715.jpg

Frozen lake near Kirkenes.
    sahib lopez, MSFTisMIA and LMZR like this.
    01-06-2014 03:02 PM
145,239 ... 861862863864865 ...