good night and good morning .... !!!!!
    01-16-2014 01:01 AM
    It's not a joke. We say we feel like we were tortured on a wheel, however after I read on Wikipedia what that actually means I decided I wouldn't use this expression anymore.

What people can do to people is incredibly cruel, that's why I think there is something wrong with humans...
    There's a saying, 'not enough room to swing a cat' thing is most people don't realise what a 'cat' is in this instance.
    Chregu and Laura Knotek like this.
    01-16-2014 01:15 AM
    and here we go to start off the morning ...we are talking about cruel stuff .....oh boy ..... well im off to sleep ...
    I dreamt (my spell checker doesn't know this word, let's try dreamed... yeah, it knows that :-/ ) I am bold. Now that's the stuff nightmares are made of. Actually, my hear gets thinner and I always thought this is just the way it is, but my subconsciousness seems to be troubled by it.
    01-16-2014 01:25 AM
    There's a helicopter in the air, at the same position for quite a while now. Colibris can do the same thing. I think it's landing... no, it is ascending again.

They are cutting trees to the ground says my coworker. With a helicopter...
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    01-16-2014 01:29 AM
    Funny enough, if you're talking raw numbers, each day I see youth in my office about Sahib's age who will tell me that they've been dating their curre,t partner for 3 years, 4 years, 6 years. I saw a girl who was 24 that was dating someone for 10 years and they had a child already together.

So how young people define relationship length is relative these days.
    I was relating to perception of time. When I was younger time seemed so much slower. These days things just zip by. I know many young people get into relationships very young. I made that mistake myself. I'm not saying all relationships that start young will fail, just those that don't allow each other to grow, which is a common problem in young relationships.
    01-16-2014 01:59 AM
    Nothing to see here.

I'm having a yoghurt for my beakfast and trying to decide if static images are better than carousels on websites.
    Laura Knotek, Chregu and MSFTisMIA like this.
    01-16-2014 02:07 AM
    I had the unpleasant surprise of a power outage around 22:45 GMT -5 on 15 January 2014. Power came back around 01:10 GMT -5 on 16 January 2014.

We aren't having any bad weather. It's cold, but it is not raining or snowing. Whatever the cause was, it had nothing to do with weather.
    01-16-2014 02:17 AM
    There's a helicopter in the air, at the same position for quite a while now. Colibris can do the same thing. I think it's landing... no, it is ascending again.

They are cutting trees to the ground says my coworker. With a helicopter...
    We had a huge blackout in US and in Ontario, Canada in 2003 because the utility company here in Ohio failed to cut the trees, amongst other problems. Northeast blackout of 2003 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Chregu and N_LaRUE like this.
    01-16-2014 02:21 AM
    I had the unpleasant surprise of a power outage around 22:45 GMT -5 on 15 January 2014. Power came back around 01:10 GMT -5 on 16 January 2014.

We aren't having any bad weather. It's cold, but it is not raining or snowing. Whatever the cause was, it had nothing to do with weather.
    That's very unfortunate.

That's something good about Switzerland, I can't even remember the last power loss. Wait, it was during my apprenticeship back between 2000 and 2004.

I hope your ice cream didn't melt (that's just the first thing I have to think of, but I'm always thinking about ice cream...).
    Laura Knotek and sahib lopez like this.
    01-16-2014 02:21 AM
    I dreamt (my spell checker doesn't know this word, let's try dreamed... yeah, it knows that :-/ ) I am bold. Now that's the stuff nightmares are made of. Actually, my hear gets thinner and I always thought this is just the way it is, but my subconsciousness seems to be troubled by it.
    That's really odd your spell checker doesn't know 'dreamt'. 'Dreamt' is a very common past tense and past participle of dream in English.
    Chregu likes this.
    01-16-2014 02:24 AM
    That's very unfortunate.

That's something good about Switzerland, I can't even remember the last power loss. Wait, it was during my apprenticeship back between 2000 and 2004.

I hope your ice cream didn't melt (that's just the first thing I have to think of, but I'm always thinking about ice cream...).
    That wasn't long enough to melt anything in my freezer. It was only ~17C in my apartment, since no power meant no heat. I did not open the freezer during the outage.
    Chregu likes this.
    01-16-2014 02:27 AM
    That's really odd your spell checker doesn't know 'dreamt'. 'Dreamt' is a very common past tense and past participle of dream in English.
    I have the same problem with my spell checker on IE 9. Well IE 9 doesn't have one built in but I installed a plug-in.
    Laura Knotek and Chregu like this.
    01-16-2014 02:38 AM
    That wasn't long enough to melt anything in my freezer. It was only ~17C in my apartment, since no power meant no heat. I did not open the freezer during the outage.
    That's cold.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    01-16-2014 02:39 AM
    We had a huge blackout in US and in Ontario, Canada in 2003 because the utility company here in Ohio failed to cut the trees, amongst other problems. Northeast blackout of 2003 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    I remember that all too clearly. We were without power for almost a week.

However, the recent ice storm in the Toronto area people were without power over xmas and over a week in what can only be called cold temps.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    01-16-2014 02:39 AM
    Nothing to see here.

I'm having a yoghurt for my beakfast and trying to decide if static images are better than carousels on websites.
    Depends on the website and where the carousel is. Sometimes I like carousels other times I find them annoying. I'm not a fan of GIFs though.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    01-16-2014 02:44 AM
    I remember that all too clearly. We were without power for almost a week.

However, the recent ice storm in the Toronto area people were without power over xmas and over a week in what can only be called cold temps.
    That was interesting here. I stopped at my parents' house after work. They were having a new roof installed on 14 August 2003. The roofing guys thought they blew the main breaker at my parents' house. I took off after telling my parents, "I'll have power at my apartment."

The roofing guys finished the job the old fashioned way: pounding nails by hand, since their nail guns were useless.

I went to a church service that night, since it was the Vigil of the Assumption. The church was lit by candles, and the musical accompaniment was done on piano. We heard the sermon fine without a microphone.

After church, I hung out with the neighbours outside and looked at the stars, since there was no light pollution even in the city.
    01-16-2014 02:50 AM
    It's not a joke. We say we feel like we were tortured on a wheel, however after I read on Wikipedia what that actually means I decided I wouldn't use this expression anymore.

What people can do to people is incredibly cruel, that's why I think there is something wrong with humans...
    'Catherine Wheel' is another expression with the same meaning.
    Chregu likes this.
    01-16-2014 02:53 AM
    You want cruel look up quartering.
    Auto-da-fe is another one. I remember that from Candide by Voltaire, which I read in school.
    Chregu likes this.
    01-16-2014 02:56 AM
    There's a saying, 'not enough room to swing a cat' thing is most people don't realise what a 'cat' is in this instance.
    That's true. I don't think many people know what a "cat o' nine tails" is.
    Chregu and N_LaRUE like this.
    01-16-2014 02:58 AM
    ...at least the ice cream was save.

-17C is really cold, that's terrible :-/
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    01-16-2014 03:08 AM
    'Catherine Wheel' is another expression with the same meaning.
    I did not know that. Wasn't there a rock group with that name?
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    01-16-2014 03:10 AM
    That's true. I don't think many people know what a "cat o' nine tails" is.
    But did you know that the expression derived from punishment at sea? When punishment was dealt out they used a cat sometimes as flaying was a common punishment and when in cramped quarters it was difficult to use the cat properly which meant that person 'got off easy', to them anyway. :P
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    01-16-2014 03:13 AM
    ...at least the ice cream was save.

-17C is really cold, that's terrible :-/
    01-16-2014 03:14 AM
    I did not know that. Wasn't there a rock group with that name?
    You're right about the rock group's name.
    01-16-2014 03:14 AM
    But did you know that the expression derived from punishment at sea? When punishment was dealt out they used a cat sometimes as flaying was a common punishment and when in cramped quarters it was difficult to use the cat properly which meant that person 'got off easy', to them anyway. :P
    Yes, that punishment originated in the Royal Navy.
    01-16-2014 03:18 AM
144,181 ... 936937938939940 ...