We might have great infrastructure, but we're still barbarians: Anna Gldi - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    01-16-2014 03:20 AM
    We might have great infrastructure, but we're still barbarians: Anna Gldi - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    I knew about Anna Gldi, but now that I read up on it (the German Wikipedia has much more detail) I feel a little sick. It was the worst kind of murder and exploitation of power.
    01-16-2014 03:24 AM
    Yes, that punishment originated in the Royal Navy.
    Yeah, leave it to the military... :P

The good news is we humans seem to be getting better in general. However, we still have a very long way to go.
    01-16-2014 03:24 AM
    I knew about Anna Gldi, but now that I read up on it (the German Wikipedia has much more detail) I feel a little sick. It was the worst kind of murder and exploitation of power.
    Witch hunts were by far one of the worst things that ever hit our society. We also have the Inquisitions, which were pretty bad.
    01-16-2014 03:27 AM
    Good morning all! Wow what a happy subject we are talking about this morning :D
    N_LaRUE likes this.
    01-16-2014 03:54 AM
    Ice cream? ;-)
    01-16-2014 03:56 AM
    It's better than mentioning cake and tri-tip continuously. :P

I find history fascinating. I also find the cruelty of our past both shocking and strange. Human nature is a bizarre subject. It's good our society has moved on a bit from that. Though there are still pockets of this kind of torture in the world.
    Chregu likes this.
    01-16-2014 03:58 AM
    Ice cream? ;-)
    LOL! So, let's be clear.

You're the lover of ice cream. BP is cake and Sahib is tri-tip. I'll just stay out of the food conversation all together. :P
    Chregu, sahib lopez and BIGPADDY like this.
    01-16-2014 04:00 AM
    I wonder how a interest in science thread would go on this forum.... hmmm... probably not.
    01-16-2014 04:07 AM
    I wonder how a interest in science thread would go on this forum.... hmmm... probably not.
    I would participate ;-)
    01-16-2014 04:12 AM
    I would participate ;-)
    I'm sure you would. The problem would be that not many people have a good grounding in science to begin with. I've seen too many polls where people didn't know that Earth rotated every 24 hours or that the Earth orbited the sun every 365 days....

I'd hope that people on here wouldn't be that bad but not many people understand basic concepts and I wouldn't want it to turn into arguments that most people, including me, don't have enough understanding to really argue with.
    01-16-2014 04:20 AM
    I'm sure you would. The problem would be that not many people have a good grounding in science to begin with. I've seen too many polls where people didn't know that Earth rotated every 24 hours or that the Earth orbited the sun every 365 days....

I'd hope that people on here wouldn't be that bad but not many people understand basic concepts and I wouldn't want it to turn into arguments that most people, including me, don't have enough understanding to really argue with.
    That's always a danger in this area. People can get very emotional over science.
    01-16-2014 04:27 AM
    I'd like to learn programming, but the only school I know doesn't offer courses in Basel. I could join the informatics students next semester, but the basic course is 6 hours including exercises, and I can't afford that much time.
    01-16-2014 04:29 AM
    That's always a danger in this area. People can get very emotional over science.
    True, many fields in science would be nothing but stress, you'd think that there would be panic over somethings that have been uncovered in science
    01-16-2014 04:30 AM
    I'd like to learn programming, but the only school I know doesn't offer courses in Basel. I could join the informatics students next semester, but the basic course is 6 hours including exercises, and I can't afford that much time.
    I'd like to learn programming as well. I have the same issue that I have no idea where a course is. Lots of people say just do it but I find formal training would be nice so you can ask questions.
    01-16-2014 04:34 AM
    True, many fields in science would be nothing but stress, you'd think that there would be panic over somethings that have been uncovered in science
    Not sure I'm understanding your statement.... ?
    01-16-2014 04:35 AM
    Not sure I'm understanding your statement.... ?
    Sorry, I blame a lack of sleep. :\

I might explain my post better when I'm actually not fatigued.
    N_LaRUE likes this.
    01-16-2014 04:44 AM
    Sorry, I blame a lack of sleep. :\

I might explain my post better when I'm actually not fatigued.
    That was me yesterday. LOL! Know how you feel. :) Get some sleep!
    LMZR likes this.
    01-16-2014 04:46 AM
    I'd like to learn programming as well. I have the same issue that I have no idea where a course is. Lots of people say just do it but I find formal training would be nice so you can ask questions.
    Isn't that odd, programming is something I wouldn't mind doing, i am with a group of people who are helping people within my age group learn programming, but we haven't gotten into the stuff that I've wanted to go into yet. :\
    01-16-2014 04:48 AM
    That was me yesterday. LOL! Know how you feel. :) Get some sleep!
    Yeah will do, I blame the recent move... And the heat. :(
    01-16-2014 04:49 AM
    Isn't that odd, programming is something I wouldn't mind doing, i am with a group of people who are helping people within my age group learn programming, but we haven't gotten into the stuff that I've wanted to go into yet. :\
    Part of the reason I want to take lessons. There's a certain pace set. Of course you get those people who fall behind but you'd hope that most there want to learn.
    01-16-2014 05:05 AM
    Part of the reason I want to take lessons. There's a certain pace set. Of course you get those people who fall behind but you'd hope that most there want to learn.
    Well, at the moment we are doing stuff I can already do, its basically Game Maker basics
    01-16-2014 05:08 AM

365 1/4 days actually :P
    01-16-2014 05:10 AM
    Anyone else with black have reduced battery life? I haven't changed any of my phone settings and using the phone the same amount but not getting as long as i used to.
    01-16-2014 05:12 AM
    Anyone else with black have reduced battery life? I haven't changed any of my phone settings and using the phone the same amount but not getting as long as i used to.
    I wish I had Black to let you know if I was having issues. :P
    01-16-2014 05:18 AM
144,738 ... 937938939940941 ...