WC 1M Post Challenge - You Ready?!

Martsicky

May 18, 2013
Visit site
If you like challenges, you should try to learn polish language :) German isn't that hard, at all. but... after 3yrs I'm sure I wouldn't explain what's my point, to german speaker... Just know the most important words, sentences so I wouldn't have a problem on vacations in german-speaking country. :) also I always wanted to learn če?tina or slovenčina, quite funny languages.

martinmc78

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Re: WPC 1000 Post Challenge - You Ready?!

Quite like languages - have held onto my basic French and German from when I was at school so I can just about get by. Learnt some basic Spanish before my roadtrip - been trying to learn Japanese for a while as I really want to spend some time over there but its hard - especially the written. I feel its only polite to try and converse in someone's native tongue if you are in their country - even if I'm murdering their beautiful language at least I'm making an effort without making them try and converse in English immediately or just pointing and making hand gestures with grunts to try and get my point across

Chregu

Feb 14, 2012
Visit site

German grammar is hard, I remember looking into it a bit when I worked for a large German company back in Canada. However, a lot of German words exist in English or are derived from German. You don't find the same in Finnish. The grammar in Finnish is very difficult and probably similar to German in some ways, they use compound words for example. However it's probably the first language I ever ran into where even some of the native speakers admit they don't always know the right way to say something in their own language.

I imagine every language being very (incredibly) hard to learn that's based on a different linguistic family. Slavic languages or all the Asian languages for example. Asian languages are even harder because they use entirely different letters.

...therefore it makes me happy that English is the "international" language ;-)

If you like challenges, you should try to learn polish language :) German isn't that hard, at all. but... after 3yrs I'm sure I wouldn't explain what's my point, to german speaker... Just know the most important words, sentences so I wouldn't have a problem on vacations in german-speaking country. :)

Guys, I wasn't bringing German up as a particular hard example, I was just telling you it's my native language and that advanced grammar is hard even for natives ;-)

Polish falls into the Slavic family.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site

Quite like languages - have held onto my basic French and German from when I was at school so I can just about get by. Learnt some basic Spanish before my roadtrip - been trying to learn Japanese for a while as I really want to spend some time over there but its hard - especially the written. I feel its only polite to try and converse in someone's native tongue if you are in their country - even if I'm murdering their beautiful language at least I'm making an effort without making them try and converse in English immediately or just pointing and making hand gestures with grunts to try and get my point across

I sometimes wish I would have held onto my French more and appreciated it. However the education system at the time botched it so bad that I got out of it as quickly as I could. So I plan to try again now I'm older. I remember some words but not enough to get by.

Chregu

Feb 14, 2012
Visit site

I sometimes wish I would have held onto my French more and appreciated it. However the education system at the time botched it so bad that I got out of it as quickly as I could. So I plan to try again now I'm older. I remember some words but not enough to get by.

Over the years I've spent almost 3 months in a language school in Paris, three weeks in another French city, two weeks in the French speaking part of Switzerland and I've had 9 years French at school.

If I can order a coffee and something to eat in French I'm already happy ;-)

But I feel similar to you, I'm planning to do a French language course next year, just to rescue some of my vocabulary.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site

Over the years I've spent almost 3 months in a language school in Paris, three weeks in another French city, two weeks in the French speaking part of Switzerland and I've had 9 years French at school.

If I can order a coffee and something to eat in French I'm already happy ;-)

But I feel similar to you, I'm planning to do a French language course next year, just to rescue some of my vocabulary.

When I went to school in Canada, French was introduced as part of the curriculum when I got to 4th grade and you only had to take it to 9th grade (5 years) you could take more classes but it was up to you. Unfotunately they taught it like they did English so some kids did ok in it, especially those who already spoke another language, others, like me found it frustrating.

They now have full immerssion schools where kids learn French all the way through education and are basically bi-lingual.

Pete

Retired Moderator
Nov 12, 2012
Visit site

They now have full immerssion schools where kids learn French all the way through education and are basically bi-lingual.

I have an uncle who used to be a director for HP. My cousins grew up in Grenoble, so were fully French/British English bilingual. They then moved to California. Within six months, they could only talk American (and a smattering of food-related Spanish).

sinime

Retired Moderator
Sep 13, 2011
Visit site

Hmmm, so I let the fantasy team auto draft and this is what I have...

wp_ss_20130729_0001.jpg

Hope I have a good team... IDK any of the players

Chregu

Feb 14, 2012
Visit site

What's that about? An excel sheet about how the elves defeated the dwarfs? Fantasy is great!

martinmc78

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site

View attachment 38561

That's not a bad draft for an auto pick - Kaepernick is a very capable QB Your receivers and running backs aren't bad either - Broncos defence was ranked 21st last season which isn't great - but they do pick up a lot of sacks which will bump your points up.

Muessig

Moderator Team Leader
Sep 30, 2012
Visit site

So once we're smashed through 1000 posts are we gonna extend the challenge to 2.5K or 5k posts?

Chregu

Feb 14, 2012
Visit site

Let the audience decide, what do you guys what 2.5K or 5k!!!

Hurry voting closings soon!

Hidden charges may apply. :devil:

If we just increase the limit, how can we appreciate the sweet feeling of achievement and success?!

The thread should get closed at the thousands post.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
killshot4077