WC 1M Post Challenge - You Ready?!

Chregu

Feb 14, 2012
Visit site
What's a big city to a Swiss person? Why is it different?

Big (the biggest) cities in Switzerland are Zurich, Basel or Geneva. They have 380.000, 172.000 and 194.000 inhabitants. I think in the United States, for example, nobody would call this big.

seashell93

Jul 26, 2013
Visit site
Re: WPC 1000 Post Challenge - You Ready?!

Morning WPC! Just thought I'd stop by and deliver some breakfast...I usually post it for team20 over at iMore, but thought I'd share with you all today!

Enjoy! Happy Tuesday!! ;)

Attachments

• 1338472254043.png
    1338472254043.png
    105.4 KB · Views: 11
  • 1361784292202.png
    1361784292202.png
    154.2 KB · Views: 11
  • fruit.jpg
    fruit.jpg
    15.1 KB · Views: 11
  • th.jpg
    th.jpg
    12.3 KB · Views: 11

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site

Big (the biggest) cities in Switzerland are Zurich, Basel or Geneva. They have 380.000, 172.000 and 194.000 inhabitants. I think in the United States, for example, nobody would call this big.

LOL! Well, that's not exactly true. It all depends where you come from. There are parts of the US, Canada and Australia where 'big city' is the closest town which could be very far away in some cases. In the EU it can be difficult to get your head around how large the US, Canada and Australia are. There are people who live in these countries that never venture out of their town the whole lives. They've never seen the 'big' city or have any concept of it.

Chregu

Feb 14, 2012
Visit site

LOL! Well, that's not exactly true. It all depends where you come from. There are parts of the US, Canada and Australia where 'big city' is the closest town which could be very far away in some cases. In the EU it can be difficult to get your head around how large the US, Canada and Australia are. There are people who live in these countries that never venture out of their town the whole lives. They've never seen the 'big' city or have any concept of it.

That's true. I looked up the largest cities of the USA. I think Zurich would be in the top fifties and the others in the top two-hundreds, but many of these cities are still the largest of the state they're in.

Why does Wikipedia write about the largest cities? What's the difference between big and large? I should pick up a grammar book sometime...

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site

That's true. I looked up the largest cities of the USA. I think Zurich would be in the top fifties and the others in the top two-hundreds, but many of these cities are still the largest of the state they're in.

Why does Wikipedia write about the largest cities? What's the difference between big and large? I should pick up a grammar book sometime...

Big and large are interchangeable in most cases. A lot of people would use the term big city or slang 'the big smoke'. If you talk about a person, if you say big, you sometimes mean tall and wide, however if you say a large, then most people will take that to mean overweight. That's the best way I can state that.

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site

I'll do you one better...in a big city like NYC, there are people who have never travelled to the other boroughs before. The kids I'm working with this month are from two separate boroughs and it made me laugh when they talked about each others borough like it was a foreign country...just to give a reference point on the scale of the town: Staten island, the smallest borough, has 500,000 residents...

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site

I'll do you one better...in a big city like NYC, there are people who have never travelled to the other boroughs before. The kids I'm working with this month are from two separate boroughs and it made me laugh when they talked about each others borough like it was a foreign country...just to give a reference point on the scale of the town: Staten island, the smallest borough, has 500,000 residents...

LOL! Yeah I've head that about both New York and LA. I think it starts to happen in any large city though especially if there's some distance from each other.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NunezGuad