WC 1M Post Challenge - You Ready?!

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
re: WPC 10K Post Challenge - You Ready?!

What are you doing in your spare time, reading?! What a wonk :p

What spare time? I work a 9 hour day. Travel back and forth to work is 1/2hr each way, so that's 10. I'm married (no kids though). Need I say more? Also there's more to life than video games. :p I rarely use Facebook anymore. :p

Also, yes, I do read. :p I just finished Surely you're joking Mr. Feynman. That was an interesting read if a bit jagged at times. Before that I read a book called Paranormity. Excellent read. I started reading 1984 by George Orwell but it's been hard going.

Chregu

Feb 14, 2012
Visit site

What spare time? I work a 9 hour day. Travel back and forth to work is 1/2hr each way, so that's 10. I'm married (no kids though). Need I say more? Also there's more to life than video games. :p I rarely use Facebook anymore. :p

Also, yes, I do read. :p I just finished Surely you're joking Mr. Feynman. That was an interesting read if a bit jagged at times. Before that I read a book called Paranormity. Excellent read. I started reading 1984 by George Orwell but it's been hard going.

You have this mysterious thing called a life?!

I read 1984 a few years ago and I loved it. I read it in German though, my English wasn't good enough back then.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site

You have this mysterious thing called a life?!

I read 1984 a few years ago and I loved it. I read it in German though, my English wasn't good enough back then.

I'm partial to non-fiction books lately. I've been meaning to read 1984 for years but just never got around to it. I wanted to know what all the fuss was about.

Only the beginning of life is a bit mysterious, life is what you make of it! :)

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site

I'd like to point out that I sold my console when I lived in Australia about 10min from the beach.

Chregu

Feb 14, 2012
Visit site

I'd like to point out that I sold my console when I lived in Australia about 10min from the beach.

The next beach is a few 100 km from where I live. So that would entitle me to buy a console. I was thinking about a PS4 or a Xbox One, but if I did that, I'd need a new computer screen with audio output. I don't have a TV and I don't intent to get one.

Well, maybe I won't have time for games anyway after I've started doing a PhD...

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site

The next beach is a few 100 km from where I live. So that would entitle me to buy a console. I was thinking about a PS4 or a Xbox One, but if I did that, I'd need a new computer screen with audio output. I don't have a TV and I don't intent to get one.

Well, maybe I won't have time for games anyway after I've started doing a PhD...

OK I'm curious, what is your PhD in? I think you mentioned biology but what are you studying?

Chregu

Feb 14, 2012
Visit site

OK I'm curious, what is your PhD in? I think you mentioned biology but what are you studying?

I have a Master's degree in molecular biology. At the moment I'm wrapping up a little project on Alzheimer's research, but in the future I will do basic bacterial research.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site

I have a Master's degree in molecular biology. At the moment I'm wrapping up a little project on Alzheimer's research, but in the future I will do basic bacterial research.

That's great! Was the Alzheimer's research fruitful? If there's one thing that I would love to see go it's that.

What do you plan to study in bacteria? Basic doesn't say much :p

Chregu

Feb 14, 2012
Visit site

That's great! Was the Alzheimer's research fruitful? If there's one thing that I would love to see go it's that.

What do you plan to study in bacteria? Basic doesn't say much :p

Well, it's complicated. The laboratory I'm working in has developed a new method to analyze cells and tissue. In parallel I have established the entire biology, including cell cultures and protein expression and so on. In a next step the two things will be combined for a lot of data gathering. But this will be the job of my successor :)

So for me personally it was fruitful (as I could finish what I've intended to do), but it's still early in development, we will see what we can gain from this.

In my future project I will study a bacterial enzyme involved in cell cycle control, how it acts under which conditions, what the effects of these actions are and how it is influenced by a specific second messenger.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site

Well, it's complicated. The laboratory I'm working in has developed a new method to analyze cells and tissue. In parallel I have established the entire biology, including cell cultures and protein expression and so on. In a next step the two things will be combined for a lot of data gathering. But this will be the job of my successor :)

So for me personally it was fruitful (as I could finish what I've intended to do), but it's still early in development, we will see what we can gain from this.

In my future project I will study a bacterial enzyme involved in cell cycle control, how it acts under which conditions, what the effects of these actions are and how it is influenced by a specific second messenger.

Sounds very interesting. I have an interest in biology but unfortunately not a lot of education behind it. Mostly self taught through reading.

Hopefully something comes of your research. :)

Chregu

Feb 14, 2012
Visit site

Sounds very interesting. I have an interest in biology but unfortunately not a lot of education behind it. Mostly self taught through reading.

Mostly during my bachelor studies I had to learn a incredible amount of biological facts and figures. I'm glad if I can remember 1 % of it now... don't ask me anything about plants, all they do is standing around, being green and having the most complex biochemistry ;-)

Hopefully something comes of your research. :)

martinmc78

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site

I did have something interesting to say on Alzheimer's...

But I forgot. :wink:

(apologies - bad taste joke but couldn't help it)

azcruz

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site

Mine is going to be boring to some. Yes I love my smartphone but it's not the coolest. Yes my wireless charger is cool but it doesn't do much else. So my coolest is by far my 2TB NAS with cloud and media servers. I own a WD My Book Live. :) What's cool about it is that I can access it from anywhere via apps on my phone or tablet or via the web at another person's home if I need to. Very handy for someone like me who travels a lot and has friends and family abroad.

I have a Western Digital N900 Central with 2TB and Synology DS212j with 3TB. I use these with both my Android and Windows Phone.

For DLNA, the Xperia V has native support while on WP7/8 i use myMediaHub. Both phones support DS suite from Synology.

Sent from my LT25i using Tapatalk 4

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site

I have a Western Digital N900 Central with 2TB and Synology DS212j with 3TB. I use these with both my Android and Windows Phone.

For DLNA, the Xperia V has native support while on WP7/8 i use myMediaHub. Both phones support DS suite from Synology.

Sent from my LT25i using Tapatalk 4

Nice. I had an older WD NAS but it wasn't that great. The new one is far superior in speed and ability. I like the fact I can connect it directly to my laptop if I want as it has auto crossover. Very handy when putting the data on initially if you have lots of it, which I did. :)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb