WC 1M Post Challenge - You Ready?!

Chregu

Feb 14, 2012
Visit site
re: WPC 10K Post Challenge - You Ready?!

My teeth are cleaned now. She didn't even comment on my hygiene, I must have taken good care of my teeth the last 18 months.

Chregu

Feb 14, 2012
Visit site

There was something that really confused me though. In the German language a distinction between a polite and a casual form to address somebody is made. It is common to use the polite form unless you mutually agree on changing to the causal one. The woman cleaning my teeth used the casual form to speak to me, and I really don't know her at all.

I really don't mind this, but nonetheless it just seemed so strange to me every time she did it. Our brain is really strange if it comes to tradition and habit.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site

There was something that really confused me though. In the German language a distinction between a polite and a casual form to address somebody is made. It is common to use the polite form unless you mutually agree on changing to the causal one. The woman cleaning my teeth used the casual form to speak to me, and I really don't know her at all.

I really don't mind this, but nonetheless it just seemed so strange to me every time she did it. Our brain is really strange if it comes to tradition and habit.

Funny I come from a different mindset. Maybe has something to do with being from North America and being brought up somewhat lower middle class (bordering poor). I often find being called 'sir' or Mr. sometimes off putting. Even at my current age where those two sort of 'suit' me. Even though I am no longer a lower middle class person it still feels funny.

gedzum

Jan 31, 2012
Visit site

Picked up my first Win8 device yesterday. Learning curve isn't as bad as I thought it would be. Boot times are insanely fast. I'm liking it so far.

Chregu

Feb 14, 2012
Visit site

Funny I come from a different mindset. Maybe has something to do with being from North America and being brought up somewhat lower middle class (bordering poor). I often find being called 'sir' or Mr. sometimes off putting. Even at my current age where those two sort of 'suit' me. Even though I am no longer a lower middle class person it still feels funny.

Maybe this is, because in English this difference is much more subtle.

In German polite form, you address a person in plural and with "Sie" for you, and in casual form in singular and with "Du" for you. Personally I think this has more to do with habit than with showing respect, adults just use the polite form. When talking to friends and family (and usually coworkers, but there are exceptions) or when addressing a child, the casual form is used.

However this can be used to actively express disrespect when the casual form is used when the polite form should be used, for example in an argument. But this wasn't at all the case this morning. I don't really know what it was, it just was strange though.

gedzum

Jan 31, 2012
Visit site

Cool. What device did you get?

Got the Vaio Pro 13. Sony had an offer for vouchers and my mum wanted a video camera, so used it on that. Everyone's a winner :wink:

Btw did you get my PM? Wasn't sure if it sent. I didn't realise you needed to enable it in settings.

Chregu

Feb 14, 2012
Visit site

Got the Vaio Pro 13. Sony had an offer for vouchers and my mum wanted a video camera, so used it on that. Everyone's a winner :wink:

Btw did you get my PM? Wasn't sure if it sent. I didn't realise you needed to enable it in settings.

I was thinking about buying that (but now it seems more and more that I'll get a Mac because of work), how do you like it?

gedzum

Jan 31, 2012
Visit site

It is good. The screen is fantastic, keyboard is a joy to type on, load times are great for the most part. Incredibly thin and light. Definitely worth strong consideration.

Few negatives that I can think of are that available storage for me after first boot was around 65GB, so I spent a bit of time trying to free space. Gestures on the track pad are a bit inconsistent, but I guess it is kind of offset by the touch screen. Corners are a bit pointy too, so you got to be a bit careful with it. I noticed when typing sitting on my bed sometimes my arms would hit the corners. Not too big of deal though. Also, the fan can ramp up quite a bit though depending on what you're doing. I think you can change the settings, but for the most part it is ok.

It's really nice though. I like it.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site

Maybe this is, because in English this difference is much more subtle.

In German polite form, you address a person in plural and with "Sie" for you, and in casual form in singular and with "Du" for you. Personally I think this has more to do with habit than with showing respect, adults just use the polite form. When talking to friends and family (and usually coworkers, but there are exceptions) or when addressing a child, the casual form is used.

However this can be used to actively express disrespect when the casual form is used when the polite form should be used, for example in an argument. But this wasn't at all the case this morning. I don't really know what it was, it just was strange though.

When I was learning to speak Finnish there were similar things with regard to how you speak to a stranger using 'polite' language over common usage, like for example greeting someone you don't know you use 'terve' for hello. Whereas if you know someone it typically is either 'hei' or 'moi' meaning hello.

Chregu

Feb 14, 2012
Visit site

When I was learning to speak Finnish there were similar things with regard to how you speak to a stranger using 'polite' language over common usage, like for example greeting someone you don't know you use 'terve' for hello. Whereas if you know someone it typically is either 'hei' or 'moi' meaning hello.

There are many languages that have this. Also French for example. In French it's very similar to German.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site

There are many languages that have this. Also French for example. In French it's very similar to German.

I plan to start French lessons again one day. The French I learned was in Canada and I've been told by many people that French in France is a bit different. I sometimes kick myself for not sticking with French but it was taught so badly in school that it made it unappealing.

Chregu

Feb 14, 2012
Visit site

I plan to start French lessons again one day. The French I learned was in Canada and I've been told by many people that French in France is a bit different. I sometimes kick myself for not sticking with French but it was taught so badly in school that it made it unappealing.

My French also should be much better. I have invested pretty much in this language, but I never use it and forget everything so fast. Early this year I was on a retreat in France and it really bugged me that my French isn't better. I also plan on starting lessons again, but I'll wait another few months. I think short-term I'll be pretty busy else...

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site

My French also should be much better. I have invested pretty much in this language, but I never use it and forget everything so fast. Early this year I was on a retreat in France and it really bugged me that my French isn't better. I also plan on starting lessons again, but I'll wait another few months. I think short-term I'll be pretty busy else...

I'm not sure whether I'll go for French or not. My wife and I are still debating on where we want to move to next. We like France but as my wife put it, we don't really know French people that well. I worked with some French people for about two years while in Australia and I thought they were great. But it's different when you plan to move somewhere. We plan to learn the language before we move there as we feel this makes sense. We just need to make sure that's what we want to do first. This is a few years down the road unless I win lotto or something.

Jay_wpcentral

Jan 24, 2013
Visit site

My teeth are cleaned now. She didn't even comment on my hygiene, I must have taken good care of my teeth the last 18 months.

Congratulations pal! And keep up with the good oral hygiene habits.

That also reminds me to go and buy a new set of toothbrush

Chregu

Feb 14, 2012
Visit site

I'm not sure whether I'll go for French or not. My wife and I are still debating on where we want to move to next. We like France but as my wife put it, we don't really know French people that well. I worked with some French people for about two years while in Australia and I thought they were great. But it's different when you plan to move somewhere. We plan to learn the language before we move there as we feel this makes sense. We just need to make sure that's what we want to do first. This is a few years down the road unless I win lotto or something.

I like how you move from country to country, sounds adventurous :)

I've spent 3 months in Paris, and if it comes to restaurants and stores, I think it's about the least friendly city I have ever visited. But you'll find everywhere very friendly people, and people in other areas of France I have visited were very nice. I also have some French coworkers and one of my best friends is French, all of them are great.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site

I like how you move from country to country, sounds adventurous :)

I've spent 3 months in Paris, and if it comes to restaurants and stores, I think it's about the least friendly city I have ever visited. But you'll find everywhere very friendly people, and people in other areas of France I have visited were very nice. I also have some French coworkers and one of my best friends is French, all of them are great.

We weren't thinking Paris, though I want to go back to Paris, haven't been there since 2010. We were thinking further south. Most of the places we've been either north or south in France so far have been great. It's just really spending some time there to ensure it's what we want.

The other option is Italy but not sure. We're not interested in Spain and haven't been to Portugal yet or many Eastern European countries. Only made it to Estonia so far. So it may change. At the moment however we both like the south of France.

I wouldn't mind doing some contract work in another European country as well but that won't happen for some time, if ever. But we'll see. :)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shelton786